[News] Corel Encouraged to Embrace Open Source to Stay Relevant - Linux

  2. Re: [News] Corel Encouraged to Embrace Open Source to Stay Relevant

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Earth to Corel: open your Office, or give it up
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >> In a nutshell, StarOffice and OpenOffice.org give users
    >> freedom. Both run on almost every modern popular OS the user
    >> might choose to run. Corel's Wordperfect Office? "Windows!",
    >> "as expensive as Microsoft's Office", "no freedom, same kind
    >> of vendor lock-in, only with a different owner at the end of
    >> the dog collar".
    >>
    >> In short: Wordperfect Office has a niche, and will continue
    >> to have one. It won't get very far into the 21st century if
    >> Corel doesn't open its code. They could sell support and an
    >> enhanced version, just like Sun does with StarOffice - and
    >> it embraces mutiple operating systems - as the OS is
    >> increasingly irrelevant, as Linux-based tablets and Ubuntu
    >> pre-loaded Dell machines show.

    > `----
    >
    > http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...pen-your-suite

    With the ways things are going with the Vista operating system, I
    can foresee a paradigm shift. Windows is at the end of the life
    cycle for the product. Microsoft's cash cow is its Office Suite.
    It would not surprise me that in the near future, to see it
    open its doors to a Linux version. Of course that would be a pay
    version, not open source. But it would make sense for corporate
    survival, IMHO.

    --
    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati

  3. Re: [News] Corel Encouraged to Embrace Open Source to Stay Relevant

    On Wed, 21 May 2008 21:59:23 -0600, High Plains Thumper wrote:

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Earth to Corel: open your Office, or give it up
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> In a nutshell, StarOffice and OpenOffice.org give users
    >>> freedom. Both run on almost every modern popular OS the user
    >>> might choose to run. Corel's Wordperfect Office? "Windows!",
    >>> "as expensive as Microsoft's Office", "no freedom, same kind
    >>> of vendor lock-in, only with a different owner at the end of
    >>> the dog collar".
    >>>
    >>> In short: Wordperfect Office has a niche, and will continue
    >>> to have one. It won't get very far into the 21st century if
    >>> Corel doesn't open its code. They could sell support and an
    >>> enhanced version, just like Sun does with StarOffice - and
    >>> it embraces mutiple operating systems - as the OS is
    >>> increasingly irrelevant, as Linux-based tablets and Ubuntu
    >>> pre-loaded Dell machines show.

    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...pen-your-suite

    > With the ways things are going with the Vista operating system, I
    > can foresee a paradigm shift. Windows is at the end of the life
    > cycle for the product. Microsoft's cash cow is its Office Suite.
    > It would not surprise me that in the near future, to see it
    > open its doors to a Linux version. Of course that would be a pay
    > version, not open source. But it would make sense for corporate
    > survival, IMHO.

    Paradigm is so 80's sounding.
    Learn some new phrases.

    As for Microsoft's operating system, it must really hurt you Linux
    *advocates* that Vista passed Linux in desktop market share within a couple
    of months of it's release.

    Hell, even the iPhone browser is real close to surpassing Linux on the
    popular sites.

    That's got to hurt.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  4. Re: [News] Corel Encouraged to Embrace Open Source to Stay Relevant

    Interesting bit of gob****e, really. Retro is in.

    > As for Microsoft's operating system, it must really hurt you
    > Linux *advocates* that Vista passed Linux in desktop market
    > share within a couple of months of it's release.

    No, didn't hurt advocates, hurt major distributors:

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...a-million-lost

    or http://tinyurl.com/6xuk8w

    DSG blames Vista for 20 million in lost profit
    Damp squib
    By Paul Hales: Thursday, 18 October 2007, 12:49 PM

    UK RETAIL OUTFIT, DSG has issued a profit warning blaming
    Microsoft's Vista for 20 million in lost profit.

    Mark Webb, a spokesman for the group which runs PC World and
    Currys shops, having largely ditched the Dixons label, said:
    "Vista just didn't capture the imagination as much as previous
    versions of Windows." Although sales volumes have been good, he
    said, "We've not seen the huge rush that we would have hoped for."

    Webb said very few people were buying boxed copies of Vista,
    feeling it was hardly worth upgrading from XP. The weedy OS
    overhaul also hit sales of new PCs, the company complained.
    Like the EverReady rabbit, Linux keeps going, and going, and
    going ....

    http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2008/04/d...ion-young.html

    Wednesday, April 23, 2008
    Deploying KDE to 52 million young people

    Mauricio broke the news today in his blog about what can only be
    described as a massive deployment of free software. I'd heard
    about this project recently, but reading more of the details in
    Mauricio's blog really cemented in my mind how groundbreaking
    this is.

    In summary: KDE on Linux has stepped up to become the software
    platform in the primary school education system in Brazil. That
    may sound like a bold claim, but the numbers are staggering and
    speak for themselves:

    By the end of this year 29,000 labs serving some 32,000,000
    students will be fully deployed and in active use.

    By the end of next year (2009) those numbers will have swelled to
    53,000 labs serving some 52,000,000 students.

    The systems use KDE 3.5 and take full advantage of Debian as well
    as KDE's Edu and Games projects, use of KDE4 in future
    implementation is just starting to be explored. Perhaps one of
    the most interesting aspects of the deployment is how they
    maximize investment in hardware by putting several heads on each
    system.
    http://www.macedonianembassy.org.uk/business.html

    A Linux thin client for every child
    Andrew Donoghue ZDNet.co.uk
    Published: 05 Dec 2007 15:26 GMT

    The project you are currently engaged with in Macedonia sounds
    like a massive undertaking, and possibly a record in terms of a
    thin-client deployment. As far as we know this is the first
    country-wide, full education deployment where they made the
    commitment to equip every single student seat in every single
    school in Macedonia with a computer workstation, and achieve a
    one-to-one student-to-computer rating, which is the best in the
    world.

    They will be rolling out 180,000 student seats, of which 100,000
    are being done right now over a five-month period. They are going
    into high schools because those students are the closest to
    entering the workplace and they want them to be computer-
    literate. Next year 80,000 additional seats are being rolled out
    into primary schools.
    That is Macedonia only. Others are following suit. Indiana
    Schools, US jumped on it earlier, so did Windsor Schools in
    California, US, Brasil, Spain, etc.

    --
    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati
    (If all else fails, play dead)
    - "Red" Green

  5. Re: [News] Corel Encouraged to Embrace Open Source to Stay Relevant

    Moshe. Goldfarb wrote:
    > As for Microsoft's operating system, it must really hurt you Linux
    > *advocates* that Vista passed Linux in desktop market share within a couple
    > of months of it's release.

    Hah, though it's likely what with all the new machines sold, how do you know
    how many are still running it?

    Hell, even my machine counts towards the vista stats.
    And the first thing I did when I got it home was nuke and install ubuntu.
    How many more did that... or the more common nuke and install XP?
    How many machines registered as vista sales still run it?
    --
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  6. Re: [News] Corel Encouraged to Embrace Open Source to Stay Relevant

    ____/ Andrew Halliwell on Thursday 22 May 2008 08:44 : \____

    > Moshe. Goldfarb wrote:
    >> As for Microsoft's operating system, it must really hurt you Linux
    >> *advocates* that Vista passed Linux in desktop market share within a couple
    >> of months of it's release.

    > Hah, though it's likely what with all the new machines sold, how do you know
    > how many are still running it?
    >
    > Hell, even my machine counts towards the vista stats.
    > And the first thing I did when I got it home was nuke and install ubuntu.
    > How many more did that... or the more common nuke and install XP?
    > How many machines registered as vista sales still run it?

    How many registered people with Vista machines are still running? ;-)

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | while (sig==sig) sig=!sig;

  7. Re: [News] Corel Encouraged to Embrace Open Source to Stay Relevant

    Andrew Halliwell writes:

    > Moshe. Goldfarb wrote:
    >> As for Microsoft's operating system, it must really hurt you Linux
    >> *advocates* that Vista passed Linux in desktop market share within a couple
    >> of months of it's release.

    > Hah, though it's likely what with all the new machines sold, how do you know
    > how many are still running it?
    >
    > Hell, even my machine counts towards the vista stats.

    Sweet. The degree kid has picked up "Hell".

    > And the first thing I did when I got it home was nuke and install ubuntu.
    > How many more did that... or the more common nuke and install XP?
    > How many machines registered as vista sales still run it?

    Vista? XP? Doesn't really bother them. Until you can prove they are
    moving to Linux you had better spend your time improving Linux with that
    big CS Degree of yours rather than showing yourself up in COLA.

    --
    I can usually supress the feelings that tell me to crash
    tackle a girl into the bushes

  8. Re: [News] Corel Encouraged to Embrace Open Source to Stay Relevant

    On Thu, 22 May 2008 09:32:08 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ Andrew Halliwell on Thursday 22 May 2008 08:44 : \____
    >
    >> Moshe. Goldfarb wrote:
    >>> As for Microsoft's operating system, it must really hurt you Linux
    >>> *advocates* that Vista passed Linux in desktop market share within a
    >>> couple of months of it's release.

    >> Hah, though it's likely what with all the new machines sold, how do you
    >> know how many are still running it?
    >>
    >> Hell, even my machine counts towards the vista stats. And the first
    >> thing I did when I got it home was nuke and install ubuntu. How many
    >> more did that... or the more common nuke and install XP? How many
    >> machines registered as vista sales still run it?

    > How many registered people with Vista machines are still running? ;-)

    ...Vista passed Linux in desktop market share within a
    couple of months of it's release.

    This is probably bogus anyway, as M$ shipped their products to the retail
    stores & counted as *sold*. OEMs did the same thing. Then the retail store
    is lumbered with the stuff when it *doean't* sell. An example is the DSG
    group who lost 20million ($39,668,710.51) & blamed it squarely on M$'s
    Vista.
    Mark Webb, a spokesman for the group, is quoted as saying that: "Vista
    just didn't capture the imagination as much as previous versions of
    Windows. We've not seen the huge rush that we would have hoped for."
    He also said *very* that few people were buying boxed copies of Vista,
    feeling it was hardly worth upgrading from XP. The weedy OS overhaul also
    hit sales of new PCs, the company complained.

    It could be some time before *that* retailer is stung by M$ again.

    --
    Mandriva 2008.1 64-bit.
    This message was sent from a

  9. Re: [News] Corel Encouraged to Embrace Open Source to Stay Relevant

    High Plains Thumper wrote:

    > With the ways things are going with the Vista operating system, I
    > can foresee a paradigm shift. Windows is at the end of the life
    > cycle for the product.

    uh huh. Linux idiots all over the world have been making similar stupid
    claims for 10 years.

    Hey, when that mystical, magical, majestical Windows EOL comes, what OS is
    the world going to be running?

    > Microsoft's cash cow is its Office Suite.
    > It would not surprise me that in the near future, to see it
    > open its doors to a Linux version.

    I say no Linux version of Microsoft Office Standard (Word, Excel,
    PowerPoint, and an email client like Outlook or Entourage) - developed and
    officially sold by Microsoft - will be available in the next 10 years.

    > Of course that would be a pay version, not open source.

    It would quickly become the best-selling Linux software ever - which doesn't
    say much.

    > But it would make
    > sense for corporate survival, IMHO.

    MS doesn't need 0.1% more Office revenue to survive.

  10. Re: [News] Corel Encouraged to Embrace Open Source to Stay Relevant

    William Poaster wrote:

    > This is probably bogus anyway, as M$ shipped their products to the
    > retail stores & counted as *sold*. OEMs did the same thing. Then the
    > retail store is lumbered with the stuff when it *doean't* sell. An
    > example is the DSG group who lost 20million ($39,668,710.51) &
    > blamed it squarely on M$'s Vista.
    >
    > Mark Webb, a spokesman for the group, is quoted as saying that: "Vista
    > just didn't capture the imagination as much as previous versions of
    > Windows. We've not seen the huge rush that we would have hoped for."
    > He also said *very* that few people were buying boxed copies of Vista,
    > feeling it was hardly worth upgrading from XP. The weedy OS overhaul
    > also hit sales of new PCs, the company complained.
    >
    > It could be some time before *that* retailer is stung by M$ again.

    DSG should switch to selling only Linux systems. That'll teach Microsoft.

  11. Re: [News] Corel Encouraged to Embrace Open Source to Stay Relevant

    Andrew Halliwell wrote:

    > How many machines registered as vista sales still run it?

    Approx. 23x as many as run Linux

    http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=10#
    http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=8

  12. Re: [News] Corel Encouraged to Embrace Open Source to Stay Relevant

    "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message

    > Earth to Corel: open your Office, or give it up

    "Stay relevant" - When was Corel *ever* relevant?

  13. Re: [News] Corel Encouraged to Embrace Open Source to Stay Relevant

    On Thu, 22 May 2008 08:44:29 +0100, Andrew Halliwell wrote:

    > Moshe. Goldfarb wrote:
    >> As for Microsoft's operating system, it must really hurt you Linux
    >> *advocates* that Vista passed Linux in desktop market share within a couple
    >> of months of it's release.

    > Hah, though it's likely what with all the new machines sold, how do you know
    > how many are still running it?

    I'll bet the sucess rate is far higher than the typical download Linux, try
    Linux, dump Linux.

    > Hell, even my machine counts towards the vista stats.
    > And the first thing I did when I got it home was nuke and install ubuntu.
    > How many more did that... or the more common nuke and install XP?
    > How many machines registered as vista sales still run it?

    But it's not even close.
    Even if you take into account your squirming's, Vista is killing desktop
    Linux.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  14. Re: [News] Corel Encouraged to Embrace Open Source to Stay Relevant

    On Thu, 22 May 2008 09:32:08 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ Andrew Halliwell on Thursday 22 May 2008 08:44 : \____
    >
    >> Moshe. Goldfarb wrote:
    >>> As for Microsoft's operating system, it must really hurt you Linux
    >>> *advocates* that Vista passed Linux in desktop market share within a couple
    >>> of months of it's release.

    >> Hah, though it's likely what with all the new machines sold, how do you know
    >> how many are still running it?
    >>
    >> Hell, even my machine counts towards the vista stats.
    >> And the first thing I did when I got it home was nuke and install ubuntu.
    >> How many more did that... or the more common nuke and install XP?
    >> How many machines registered as vista sales still run it?

    > How many registered people with Vista machines are still running? ;-)

    How many Linux downloads are used for more than a couple of hours?

    I think the 0.6 percent of dekstop market vs the so called *millions of
    Linux downloads" says it all.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  15. Re: [News] Corel Encouraged to Embrace Open Source to Stay Relevant

    On Thu, 22 May 2008 09:06:54 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    >

    >> How many machines registered as vista sales still run it?

    > Approx. 23x as many as run Linux
    >
    > http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=10#
    > http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=8

    And how many years has Linux been around?

    Maybe 10+ years?

    The question the Linux loons should be asking themselves is why people
    would rather pay for Windows than use free Linux.

    It's pretty sad when a product that is given away for free has so few
    actual users.

    You would think that after 10+ years, the Linux loons would get the
    message.
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  16. Re: [News] Corel Encouraged to Embrace Open Source to Stay Relevant

    On Thu, 22 May 2008 09:27:09 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    >>
    >> Earth to Corel: open your Office, or give it up

    > "Stay relevant" - When was Corel *ever* relevant?

    Corel Draw was a decent program in it's day.
    It was usually given away with printers, scanners etc.
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  17. Re: [News] Corel Encouraged to Embrace Open Source to Stay Relevant

    ____/ William Poaster on Thursday 22 May 2008 13:10 : \____

    > On Thu, 22 May 2008 09:32:08 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> ____/ Andrew Halliwell on Thursday 22 May 2008 08:44 : \____

    >>> Hah, though it's likely what with all the new machines sold, how do you
    >>> know how many are still running it?
    >>>
    >>> Hell, even my machine counts towards the vista stats. And the first
    >>> thing I did when I got it home was nuke and install ubuntu. How many
    >>> more did that... or the more common nuke and install XP? How many
    >>> machines registered as vista sales still run it?

    >> How many registered people with Vista machines are still running? ;-)

    > ..Vista passed Linux in desktop market share within a
    > couple of months of it's release.
    >

    > This is probably bogus anyway, as M$ shipped their products to the retail
    > stores & counted as *sold*. OEMs did the same thing. Then the retail store
    > is lumbered with the stuff when it *doean't* sell. An example is the DSG
    > group who lost £20million ($39,668,710.51) & blamed it squarely on M$'s
    > Vista.
    > Mark Webb, a spokesman for the group, is quoted as saying that: "Vista
    > just didn't capture the imagination as much as previous versions of
    > Windows. We've not seen the huge rush that we would have hoped for."
    > He also said *very* that few people were buying boxed copies of Vista,
    > feeling it was hardly worth upgrading from XP. The weedy OS overhaul also
    > hit sales of new PCs, the company complained.
    >
    > It could be some time before *that* retailer is stung by M$ again.

    An important point worth making is that Munchkins argue not all Linux downloads
    become installations. That's correct. Sometimes, when deployed in a classroom,
    for example, one download makes *many* installations. On the other hand, when
    people are *forced* to *buy* an O/S (e.g. Vista) it often gets removed.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | How I learned to stop worrying and love GNU/Linux
    03:00:01 up 38 days, 1:12, 4 users, load average: 0.80, 1.52, 1.77

  18. Re: [News] Corel Encouraged to Embrace Open Source to Stay Relevant

    On Fri, 23 May 2008 03:05:02 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ William Poaster on Thursday 22 May 2008 13:10 : \____
    >
    >> On Thu, 22 May 2008 09:32:08 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> ____/ Andrew Halliwell on Thursday 22 May 2008 08:44 : \____

    >>> How many registered people with Vista machines are still running? ;-)

    >> ..Vista passed Linux in desktop market share within a couple of months
    >> of it's release.
    >>

    >> This is probably bogus anyway, as M$ shipped their products to the
    >> retail stores & counted as *sold*. OEMs did the same thing. Then the
    >> retail store is lumbered with the stuff when it *doean't* sell. An
    >> example is the DSG group who lost 20million ($39,668,710.51) & blamed
    >> it squarely on M$'s Vista.
    >> Mark Webb, a spokesman for the group, is quoted as saying that: "Vista
    >> just didn't capture the imagination as much as previous versions of
    >> Windows. We've not seen the huge rush that we would have hoped for." He
    >> also said *very* that few people were buying boxed copies of Vista,
    >> feeling it was hardly worth upgrading from XP. The weedy OS overhaul
    >> also hit sales of new PCs, the company complained.
    >>
    >> It could be some time before *that* retailer is stung by M$ again.

    > An important point worth making is that Munchkins argue not all Linux
    > downloads become installations. That's correct.

    The local LUG downloads Live-CDs to give away, so maybe not all do get
    installed. However it's interesting to note, that after trying a distro,
    A *lot* of people either ask us to install it for them, or they do it
    themselves. The interest in Linux & the number of people trying out
    Live-CDs has escalated recently, as quite a few state they just do NOT
    want Vista & are looking for alternative OSs.

    > Sometimes, when deployed in a classroom, for example, one download makes
    > *many* installations.

    A similar thing happens with out local LUG.

    > On the other hand, when people are *forced* to *buy* an O/S (e.g. Vista)
    > it often gets removed.

    That happens too!

    --
    Mandriva 2008.1 64-bit.
    This message was sent from a
    computer which is guaranteed
    100% free of the M$ Windoze virus.

  19. Re: [News] Corel Encouraged to Embrace Open Source to Stay Relevant

    Moshe. Goldfarb wrote:
    > And how many years has Linux been around?
    >
    > Maybe 10+ years?

    And how many billions of dollars have been spent on marketting it?
    Hmmm?
    How many of those billions were spent on illegal or otherwise immoral
    "marketting"?

    For linux, both those are as close to 0 as makes no odds.

    Gods, you're stupid.
    --
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  20. Re: [News] Corel Encouraged to Embrace Open Source to Stay Relevant

    Moshe. Goldfarb wrote:
    > But it's not even close.
    > Even if you take into account your squirming's, Vista is killing desktop
    > Linux.

    Ah, yes... The old "windows is killing linux" argument...
    How long have you been spouting that one flatty?
    5 years?
    more?
    And yet, linux shows no sign of dying or even weakening.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast