[News] Corel Encouraged to Embrace Open Source to Stay Relevant - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Corel Encouraged to Embrace Open Source to Stay Relevant - Linux ; On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 12:23:17 +0100, Andrew Halliwell wrote: > Moshe. Goldfarb wrote: >> But it's not even close. >> Even if you take into account your squirming's, Vista is killing desktop >> Linux. > > Ah, yes... The ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 44

  1. Re: [News] Corel Encouraged to Embrace Open Source to Stay Relevant

    On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 12:23:17 +0100, Andrew Halliwell wrote:

    > Moshe. Goldfarb wrote:
    >> But it's not even close.
    >> Even if you take into account your squirming's, Vista is killing desktop
    >> Linux.

    > Ah, yes... The old "windows is killing linux" argument... How long have
    > you been spouting that one flatty? 5 years?
    > more?
    > And yet, linux shows no sign of dying or even weakening.

    In fact it's Vista which is weakening. More people are asking about Linux,
    at least they are in most of the local LUGs around here.

    --
    This message was sent from a
    computer which is guaranteed

  2. Re: [News] Corel Encouraged to Embrace Open Source to Stay Relevant

    On Sun, 1 Jun 2008 12:21:32 +0100, Andrew Halliwell wrote:

    > Moshe. Goldfarb wrote:
    >> And how many years has Linux been around?
    >>
    >> Maybe 10+ years?

    > And how many billions of dollars have been spent on marketting it?
    > Hmmm?
    > How many of those billions were spent on illegal or otherwise immoral
    > "marketting"?

    Market it?
    You can't even give it away!

    Redhat sure tried to market Linux desktop and they gave up.
    Why?
    Few people have an interest in it.

    > For linux, both those are as close to 0 as makes no odds.
    >
    > Gods, you're stupid.

    Looks like you're the ignorant one.
    Good self nuke.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: [News] Corel Encouraged to Embrace Open Source to Stay Relevant

    On Sun, 1 Jun 2008 12:23:17 +0100, Andrew Halliwell wrote:

    > Moshe. Goldfarb wrote:
    >> But it's not even close.
    >> Even if you take into account your squirming's, Vista is killing desktop
    >> Linux.

    > Ah, yes... The old "windows is killing linux" argument...
    > How long have you been spouting that one flatty?
    > 5 years?
    > more?

    Vista had more market share than desktop Linux within a couple of months of
    it's release.

    Linux has 16 years and it has failed miserably on the desktop.

    > And yet, linux shows no sign of dying or even weakening.

    At 0.6 percent of the desktop market, and flat lined that way for years, I
    would say Linux is pretty much dead.

    Redhat agrees with me.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  4. Re: [News] Corel Encouraged to Embrace Open Source to Stay Relevant

    "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote in message
    > On Sun, 1 Jun 2008 12:23:17 +0100, Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    >
    >> Moshe. Goldfarb wrote:
    >>> But it's not even close.
    >>> Even if you take into account your squirming's, Vista is killing
    >>> desktop
    >>> Linux.

    >> Ah, yes... The old "windows is killing linux" argument...
    >> How long have you been spouting that one flatty?
    >> 5 years?
    >> more?

    > Vista had more market share than desktop Linux within a couple
    > of months of it's release.

    Vista had more marketshare (users, installs, whatever you want to call it).
    Vista had more marketshare than linux while Vista was still in BETA and
    wasn't even officially released yet.

    > Linux has 16 years and it has failed miserably on the desktop.

    After being given away for FREE for 16 years you'd think linux would have
    done much better than this. The problem is that linux is a "me too" copycat
    OS that tries to mimic what Windows and OSX are doing. Look at bloat called
    OpenOffice for example. It's a fat, slow version of MS-Office that
    "innovates" by copying every feature and UI component of MS-Office.

    >> And yet, linux shows no sign of dying or even weakening.

    > At 0.6 percent of the desktop market, and flat lined that way for years,
    > would say Linux is pretty much dead.
    >
    > Redhat agrees with me.

    Both Redhat and Novell gave up on desktop linux. They both admit that
    there's no interest in it.

    > --
    > Moshe Goldfarb
    > http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  5. Re: [News] Corel Encouraged to Embrace Open Source to Stay Relevant

    In article <1tm8z49z3bsyj.1i8sp9tyf4ely$.dlg@40tude.net>,
    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >Redhat sure tried to market Linux desktop and they gave up.
    >Why? Few people have an interest in it.

    Redhat doesn't sell "the linux desktop". Redhat sells support.
    They stopped marketing the desktop because there's no way to sell support
    if the product doesn't need much and what it does need is available via
    the internet.

    Followups to dumb.linux.trolls.

  6. Re: [News] Corel Encouraged to Embrace Open Source to Stay Relevant

    On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 11:12:51 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On Sun, 1 Jun 2008 12:21:32 +0100, Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    >
    >> Moshe. Goldfarb wrote:
    >>> And how many years has Linux been around?
    >>>
    >>> Maybe 10+ years?

    >> And how many billions of dollars have been spent on marketting it?
    >> Hmmm?
    >> How many of those billions were spent on illegal or otherwise immoral
    >> "marketting"?

    > Market it?
    > You can't even give it away!
    >
    > Redhat sure tried to market Linux desktop and they gave up. Why?
    > Few people have an interest in it.

    You might want to inform Red Hat that they aren't selling a desktop
    product. I am sure they will be surprised.

    >> For linux, both those are as close to 0 as makes no odds.
    >>
    >> Gods, you're stupid.

    > Looks like you're the ignorant one.
    > Good self nuke.

    Maybe you should buy a can of honesty.

    --
    Rick

  7. Re: Ezekiel writes nothing of consequence

    On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 11:22:02 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    .... nothing worth responding to.

    --
    Rick

  8. Re: Rick shows his true trolling colors. Again.

    "Rick" stated in post
    5KqdnVExcvUqXN_VnZ2dnUVZ_hCdnZ2d@supernews.com on 6/1/08 8:35 AM:

    > On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 11:22:02 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >
    > ... nothing worth responding to.

    What a coward you are to snip an entire post and then change the subject
    line to a trolling / insulting one.

    --
    I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please
    everyone. -- Bill Cosby

  9. Re: Rick shows his true trolling colors. Again.

    Snit wrote:
    > "Rick" stated in post
    > 5KqdnVExcvUqXN_VnZ2dnUVZ_hCdnZ2d@supernews.com on 6/1/08 8:35 AM:
    >
    >> On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 11:22:02 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >>
    >> ... nothing worth responding to.

    > What a coward you are to snip an entire post and then change the
    > subject line to a trolling / insulting one.

    (p)Rick does it regularly.
    7 does it regularly
    HPT does it regularly.
    WRonG does it regularly.

    It's the tactic of a shameless luser.

  10. Re: Rick shows his true trolling colors. Again.

    On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 15:21:21 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Snit wrote:
    >> "Rick" stated in post
    >> 5KqdnVExcvUqXN_VnZ2dnUVZ_hCdnZ2d@supernews.com on 6/1/08 8:35 AM:
    >>
    >>> On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 11:22:02 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >>>
    >>> ... nothing worth responding to.

    >> What a coward you are to snip an entire post and then change the
    >> subject line to a trolling / insulting one.

    > (p)Rick does it regularly.
    > 7 does it regularly
    > HPT does it regularly.
    > WRonG does it regularly.
    >
    > It's the tactic of a shameless luser.

    A typical statement from a bigoted liar.

    --
    Rick

  11. Re: DFS shows his true trolling colors. Again.

    Rick wrote:
    > DFS wrote:
    >> Snit wrote:
    >>> "Rick" stated:

    >>> What a coward you are to snip an entire post and then
    >>> change the subject line to a trolling / insulting one.

    >> (p)Rick does it regularly.

    This is an example of:

    Subject: 3.4 The nasty Troll

    If anyone does anything which will interfere with the troll's
    ability to cause mayhem, they can become very nasty, posting from
    obviously incorrect variations of the name etc. insults, call
    them netcops, netnannies, homosexuals.

    http://tinyurl.com/2nnfhy

    From: "DFS"
    Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
    Subject: Re: Buh Bye!, Windows! Vista will be the last version of
    Windows for Pentium 4 and Core Duo owners
    Date: Sat, 19 May 2007 00:11:16 -0500

    Click heels together three times, wave your magic wand, then open
    your eyes and whaddaya see? Not much - it's dark inside your
    large intestine.
    --
    HPT

  12. Re: Rick shows his true trolling colors. Again.

    "DFS" stated in post
    bDC0k.2801$%z2.2509@bignews3.bellsouth.net on 6/1/08 12:21 PM:

    > Snit wrote:
    >> "Rick" stated in post
    >> 5KqdnVExcvUqXN_VnZ2dnUVZ_hCdnZ2d@supernews.com on 6/1/08 8:35 AM:
    >>
    >>> On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 11:22:02 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >>>
    >>> ... nothing worth responding to.

    >> What a coward you are to snip an entire post and then change the
    >> subject line to a trolling / insulting one.

    > (p)Rick does it regularly.
    > 7 does it regularly
    > HPT does it regularly.
    > WRonG does it regularly.
    >
    > It's the tactic of a shameless luser.

    The worst I have ever seen when it comes to snipping is Steve Carroll who
    frequents CSMA but sometimes follows me into COLA.

    --
    What do you call people who are afraid of Santa Claus? Claustrophobic.

  13. Re: Rick shows his true trolling colors. Again.

    "Rick" stated in post
    T7GdndNs2q6tYN_VnZ2dnUVZ_v3inZ2d@supernews.com on 6/1/08 12:49 PM:

    > On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 15:21:21 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> Snit wrote:
    >>> "Rick" stated in post
    >>> 5KqdnVExcvUqXN_VnZ2dnUVZ_hCdnZ2d@supernews.com on 6/1/08 8:35 AM:

    >>> What a coward you are to snip an entire post and then change the
    >>> subject line to a trolling / insulting one.

    >> (p)Rick does it regularly.
    >> 7 does it regularly
    >> HPT does it regularly.
    >> WRonG does it regularly.
    >>
    >> It's the tactic of a shameless luser.

    > A typical statement from a bigoted liar.

    Do you deny you snip and alter subject lines in your trolling?

    How many examples do you think there from the last couple days of you doing
    that? Quite a few!

    --
    "For example, user interfaces are _usually_ better in commercial software.
    I'm not saying that this is always true, but in many cases the user

  14. Re: [News] Corel Encouraged to Embrace Open Source to Stay Relevant

    > And how many billions of dollars have been spent on marketting it?
    > Hmmm?
    > How many of those billions were spent on illegal or otherwise immoral
    > "marketting"?

    Oh brother ..
    how about illegal and immoral newsgroup posts?
    live by it? .. die by it ... what goes around just came around .. duck

    heh ..

    Wishing it were so does not make it so ..
    So? .. what now?

    Rich

  15. Re: Rick shows his true trolling colors. Again.

    High Plains Thumper wrote:

    > http://tinyurl.com/2nnfhy
    >
    > From: "DFS"
    >

    > Click heels together three times, wave your magic wand, then open
    > your eyes and whaddaya see? Not much - it's dark inside your
    > large intestine.

    I've made over 13,000 posts to cola. It will take you many more than a
    sample of one - placed inside a post in which you slimily changed the
    Subject line - to backup whatever point you think you were making.

  16. Re: Ezekiel writes nothing of consequence

    * Rick peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 11:22:02 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >
    > ... nothing worth responding to.

    Thank you Rick, thank you!

    --
    I laid out memory ...
    -- Bill Gates, Smithsonian Institution interview (1993)

  17. Re: [News] Corel Encouraged to Embrace Open Source to Stay Relevant

    On 2008-06-01, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Sun, 1 Jun 2008 12:23:17 +0100, Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    >
    >> Moshe. Goldfarb wrote:
    >>> But it's not even close.
    >>> Even if you take into account your squirming's, Vista is killing desktop
    >>> Linux.

    >> Ah, yes... The old "windows is killing linux" argument...
    >> How long have you been spouting that one flatty?
    >> 5 years?
    >> more?

    > Vista had more market share than desktop Linux within a couple of months of
    > it's release.

    Windows had the same marketshare (possibly less) before Vista and
    after Vista. Since Vists is just another release of Windows, it's
    really silly to treat it as a separate product.

    Vista: just this years lame release of Windows that will be shoved
    down everyone's throats through the OEM channels...

    Except some of the OEMs shoved back...

    And the old version of Windows got resurrected for some systems.

    [deletia]

    --
    vi isn't easy to use. |||
    / | \

  18. Re: [News] Corel Encouraged to Embrace Open Source to Stay Relevant

    On 2008-06-02, JEDIDIAH claimed:
    > On 2008-06-01, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> Ah, yes... The old "windows is killing linux" argument...
    >>> How long have you been spouting that one flatty?
    >>> 5 years?
    >>> more?

    >> Vista had more market share than desktop Linux within a couple of months of
    >> it's release.

    > Windows had the same marketshare (possibly less) before Vista and
    > after Vista. Since Vists is just another release of Windows, it's
    > really silly to treat it as a separate product.
    >
    > Vista: just this years lame release of Windows that will be shoved
    > down everyone's throats through the OEM channels...
    >
    > Except some of the OEMs shoved back...
    >
    > And the old version of Windows got resurrected for some systems.

    A rep from one of the computer companies* was in last week to talk up
    products. He said all of their machines say "Vista" on them because
    they have to by contract. But he guaranteed they were going to continue
    selling them with XP primarily because none of their larger customers
    wants to touch Vista. He said their Vista sales were mostly to
    individuals and small groups that either didn't (know they should) care
    or didn't know to ask for a change. But enough big customers demanded
    XP instead that they started suggesting that right up front to anybody
    looking at ordering more than 100 machines.

    * Not sure I should name names here. Blammer can throw chairs pretty
    hard, I hear. No need to send that clown over to monkeydance all over
    their lawns.

    --
    "[Microsoft's] products just aren't engineered for security."
    -- Brian Valentine

  19. Re: DFS shows his true trolling colors. Again.

    DFS wrote:
    > High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >
    >> http://tinyurl.com/2nnfhy
    >>
    >> From: "DFS"
    >>

    >> Click heels together three times, wave your magic wand, then open your
    >> eyes and whaddaya see? Not much - it's dark inside your large
    >> intestine.
    >>

    > I've made over 13,000 posts to cola. It will take you many more than a
    > sample of one - placed inside a post in which you slimily changed the
    > Subject line - to backup whatever point you think you were making.

    Most of those 13,000 are comment spam.

    http://tinyurl.com/6ytsqa

    From: "DFS"
    Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
    Subject: The hypocrisy of cola goons
    Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2008 19:23:52 -0400

    When a Windows system is compromised, the goons blame it on factors
    intrinsic to Windows.

    When Linux is hacked, the goons blame it on the sysadmins

    This is a good thread to post other examples of their shameless,
    weak-minded hypocrisy.
    "Goon" is a variation of:

    Subject: 7.8 K00k or kook

    A general insult used by Trolls.
    One who displeases or opposes Trolls
    This is also anti-charter:

    1.4 The Charter of comp.os.linux.advocacy

    The charter of comp.os.linux.advocacy is:

    For discussion of the benefits of Linux compared to other operating
    systems.

    That single sentence is the one and only charter of the newsgroup
    comp.os.linux.advocacy. The newsgroup's charter is for the newsgroup
    as a place for supporters of Linux to gather to discuss Linux, for the
    betterment of the Linux community and the promotion and development of
    Linux. It supports this as a place for those who would like to learn
    more about Linux to come to learn from those who know Linux. It does
    not call for it to be a place where the anti-Linux propagandists to
    gather in order to discredit Linux.
    --
    HPT

  20. Re: DFS shows his true trolling colors. Again.

    On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 04:09:02 -0600, High Plains Thumper wrote:

    > Most of those 13,000 are comment spam.

    Sounds more like Schestowitz's weekly stats to me.