OSX and Vista pwned by Ubuntu! Way to go, Debian! - Linux

This is a discussion on OSX and Vista pwned by Ubuntu! Way to go, Debian! - Linux ; http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03...left_standing/ Only Ubuntu left standing, as Flash vuln fells Vista in Pwn2Own hacking contest Contestant overcomes bout of 'hacktile dysfunction' By Dan Goodin in Vancouver → More by this author Published Saturday 29th March 2008 21:27 GMT CanSecWest A laptop ...

  1. OSX and Vista pwned by Ubuntu! Way to go, Debian!

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03...left_standing/

    Only Ubuntu left standing, as Flash vuln fells Vista in Pwn2Own
    hacking contest

    Contestant overcomes bout of 'hacktile dysfunction'
    By Dan Goodin in Vancouver → More by this author
    Published Saturday 29th March 2008 21:27 GMT

    CanSecWest A laptop running a fully patched version of
    Microsoft's Vista operating system was the second and final
    machine to fall in a hacking contest that pitted the security of
    Windows, OS X and Ubuntu Linux. With both a Windows and Mac
    machine felled, only the Linux box remained standing following
    the three-day competition.
    OSX and Vista pwned by Ubuntu! Way to go, Debian!

    --
    HPT

  2. Re: OSX and Vista pwned by Ubuntu! Way to go, Debian!

    High Plains Thumper wrote:
    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03...left_standing/

    Don't fool yourself, dweeb.

    http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=8

    Now that's ownage - to the tune of 145 to 1.

  3. Re: OSX and Vista pwned by Ubuntu! Way to go, Debian!

    DFS wrote:
    > High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03...left_standing/

    Only Ubuntu left standing, as Flash vuln fells Vista
    >> in Pwn2Own hacking contest
    >>
    >> Contestant overcomes bout of 'hacktile dysfunction'
    >> By Dan Goodin in Vancouver
    >> Published Saturday 29th March 2008 21:27 GMT
    >>
    >> CanSecWest A laptop running a fully patched version of
    >> Microsoft's Vista operating system was the second and final
    >> machine to fall in a hacking contest that pitted the
    >> security of Windows, OS X and Ubuntu Linux. With both a
    >> Windows and Mac machine felled, only the Linux box remained
    >> standing following the three-day competition.
    >>
    >> OSX and Vista pwned by Ubuntu! Way to go, Debian!

    > Don't fool yourself, dweeb.

    Interesting that this troll must not only post his point but add
    a pungent insult also.

    > http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=8
    >
    > Now that's ownage - to the tune of 145 to 1.

    http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=12

    "Market Share Worldview. The report you requested is only
    available in the pay version."

    Okay, another site, look at the demography:

    http://w3schools.com/about/about_pagehits.asp

    Visitors Demographics
    Origin Percent
    United States 42.1 %
    India 10.1 %
    United Kingdom 8.0 %
    Canada 4.7 %
    Netherlands 2.5 %
    Australia 2.3 %
    Germany 2.0 %
    Sweden 1.7 %
    France 1.7 %
    Spain 1.4 %
    Italy 1.3 %
    Singapore 1.3 %
    Brazil 1.2 %
    Philippines 1.1 %
    Hong Kong 1.1 %
    Poland 1.0 %
    US has greatest number of visits at 42.1%, which is heavily
    Windows oriented. Other countries that have a higher Linux and
    Unix count are under represented. Not all access the internet
    has heavily as the US. Therefore, to utilise such statistics as
    indicative of Linux installed base leads to erroneous results.

    Next ....

    --
    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati

  4. Re: OSX and Vista pwned by Ubuntu! Way to go, Debian!

    ____/ High Plains Thumper on Thursday 22 May 2008 04:41 : \____

    > DFS wrote:
    >> High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03...left_standing/

    Only Ubuntu left standing, as Flash vuln fells Vista
    >>> in Pwn2Own hacking contest
    >>>
    >>> Contestant overcomes bout of 'hacktile dysfunction'
    >>> By Dan Goodin in Vancouver
    >>> Published Saturday 29th March 2008 21:27 GMT
    >>>
    >>> CanSecWest A laptop running a fully patched version of
    >>> Microsoft's Vista operating system was the second and final
    >>> machine to fall in a hacking contest that pitted the
    >>> security of Windows, OS X and Ubuntu Linux. With both a
    >>> Windows and Mac machine felled, only the Linux box remained
    >>> standing following the three-day competition.
    >>>
    >>> OSX and Vista pwned by Ubuntu! Way to go, Debian!

    >> Don't fool yourself, dweeb.

    > Interesting that this troll must not only post his point but add
    > a pungent insult also.
    >
    >> http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=8
    >>
    >> Now that's ownage - to the tune of 145 to 1.

    > http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=12
    >
    > "Market Share Worldview. The report you requested is only
    > available in the pay version."
    >
    > Okay, another site, look at the demography:
    >
    > http://w3schools.com/about/about_pagehits.asp
    >

    > Visitors Demographics
    > Origin Percent
    > United States 42.1 %
    > India 10.1 %
    > United Kingdom 8.0 %
    > Canada 4.7 %
    > Netherlands 2.5 %
    > Australia 2.3 %
    > Germany 2.0 %
    > Sweden 1.7 %
    > France 1.7 %
    > Spain 1.4 %
    > Italy 1.3 %
    > Singapore 1.3 %
    > Brazil 1.2 %
    > Philippines 1.1 %
    > Hong Kong 1.1 %
    > Poland 1.0 %
    >

    > US has greatest number of visits at 42.1%, which is heavily
    > Windows oriented. Other countries that have a higher Linux and
    > Unix count are under represented. Not all access the internet
    > has heavily as the US. Therefore, to utilise such statistics as
    > indicative of Linux installed base leads to erroneous results.
    >
    > Next ....

    It actually shows the entire sample was very grossly population-biased, almost
    rigged.

    Maybe they picked 1000 sites. 1 MSN.com, 999 mom-and-pop sites, then applied no
    special weighting, merged the logs and ran the algo. That's just taking it to
    the extreme anyway.

    Who funded this laborious study? What's the motive for a volunteer?

    - --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | while (sig==sig) sig=!sig;

  5. Re: OSX and Vista pwned by Ubuntu! Way to go, Debian!

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > High Plains Thumper on Thursday :
    >> DFS wrote:

    Only Ubuntu left standing, as Flash vuln fells

    >>> Don't fool yourself, dweeb.

    >> Interesting that this troll must not only post his point but
    >> add a pungent insult also.
    >>
    >>> http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=8
    >>>
    >>> Now that's ownage - to the tune of 145 to 1.

    >> http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=12
    >>
    >> "Market Share Worldview. The report you requested is only
    >> available in the pay version."
    >>
    >> Okay, another site, look at the demography:
    >>
    >> http://w3schools.com/about/about_pagehits.asp

    Visitors Demographics Origin Percent, United States
    >> 42.1 %, India 10.1 %, United Kingdom 8.0 %, Canada 4.7 %,
    >> Netherlands 2.5 %, Australia 2.3 %, Germany 2.0 %, Sweden
    >> 1.7 %, France 1.7 %, Spain 1.4 %, Italy 1.3 %, Singapore 1.3
    >> %, Brazil 1.2 %, Philippines 1.1 %, Hong Kong 1.1 %, Poland
    >> 1.0 %
    >>
    >> US has greatest number of visits at 42.1%, which is heavily
    >> Windows oriented. Other countries that have a higher Linux
    >> and Unix count are under represented. Not all access the
    >> internet has heavily as the US. Therefore, to utilise such
    >> statistics as indicative of Linux installed base leads to
    >> erroneous results.
    >>
    >> Next ....

    > It actually shows the entire sample was very grossly
    > population-biased, almost rigged.
    >
    > Maybe they picked 1000 sites. 1 MSN.com, 999 mom-and-pop
    > sites, then applied no special weighting, merged the logs and
    > ran the algo. That's just taking it to the extreme anyway.
    >
    > Who funded this laborious study? What's the motive for a
    > volunteer?

    Even W3 Schools admits this:

    http://w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

    Statistics Are Often Misleading

    You cannot - as a web developer - rely only on statistics.
    Statistics can often be misleading.

    Global averages may not always be relevant to your web site.
    Different sites attract different audiences. Some web sites
    attract professional developers using professional hardware,
    while other sites attract hobbyists using old low spec computers.

    Also be aware that many statistics may have an incomplete or
    faulty browser detection. It is quite common by many web-stats
    report programs, not to detect the newest browsers.

    (The statistics above are extracted from W3Schools' log-files,
    but we are also monitoring other sources around the Internet to
    assure the quality of these figures).

    QUOTES

    "First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure."
    Mark Twain
    --
    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati
    (If all else fails, play dead)
    - "Red" Green

  6. Re: OSX and Vista pwned by Ubuntu! Way to go, Debian!

    On Thu, 22 May 2008 06:15:16 -0600, High Plains Thumper wrote:

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> High Plains Thumper on Thursday :

    Only Ubuntu left standing, as Flash vuln fells Vista in

    >>> Interesting that this troll must not only post his point but add a
    >>> pungent insult also.

    >>> http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=12
    >>>
    >>> "Market Share Worldview. The report you requested is only available in
    >>> the pay version."
    >>>
    >>> Okay, another site, look at the demography:
    >>>
    >>> http://w3schools.com/about/about_pagehits.asp

    Visitors Demographics Origin Percent, United States 42.1 %,
    >>> India 10.1 %, United Kingdom 8.0 %, Canada 4.7 %, Netherlands 2.5 %,
    >>> Australia 2.3 %, Germany 2.0 %, Sweden 1.7 %, France 1.7 %, Spain 1.4
    >>> %, Italy 1.3 %, Singapore 1.3 %, Brazil 1.2 %, Philippines 1.1 %, Hong
    >>> Kong 1.1 %, Poland 1.0 %
    >>>
    >>> US has greatest number of visits at 42.1%, which is heavily Windows
    >>> oriented. Other countries that have a higher Linux and Unix count are
    >>> under represented. Not all access the internet has heavily as the US.
    >>> Therefore, to utilise such statistics as indicative of Linux installed
    >>> base leads to erroneous results.
    >>>
    >>> Next ....

    >> It actually shows the entire sample was very grossly population-biased,
    >> almost rigged.
    >>
    >> Maybe they picked 1000 sites. 1 MSN.com, 999 mom-and-pop sites, then
    >> applied no special weighting, merged the logs and ran the algo. That's
    >> just taking it to the extreme anyway.
    >>
    >> Who funded this laborious study? What's the motive for a volunteer?

    > Even W3 Schools admits this:
    >
    > http://w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp
    >

    > Statistics Are Often Misleading
    >
    > You cannot - as a web developer - rely only on statistics. Statistics can
    > often be misleading.
    >
    > Global averages may not always be relevant to your web site. Different
    > sites attract different audiences. Some web sites attract professional
    > developers using professional hardware, while other sites attract
    > hobbyists using old low spec computers.

    > Also be aware that many statistics may have an incomplete or faulty
    > browser detection. It is quite common by many web-stats report programs,
    > not to detect the newest browsers.

    Maybe you should quote that at Quack & his "1%" web stats. ;-)

    --
    Mandriva 2008.1 64-bit.
    This message was sent from a

  7. Re: Beauty of Ubuntu Sacked by Trolls

    William Poaster wrote:
    > High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >
    >> Even W3 Schools admits this:
    >>
    >> http://w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp
    >>
    >> [quote] Statistics Are Often Misleading
    >>
    >> You cannot - as a web developer - rely only on statistics.
    >> Statistics can often be misleading.
    >>
    >> Global averages may not always be relevant to your web site.
    >> Different sites attract different audiences. Some web sites
    >> attract professional developers using professional hardware,
    >> while other sites attract hobbyists using old low spec
    >> computers.

    >> Also be aware that many statistics may have an incomplete or
    >> faulty browser detection. It is quite common by many
    >> web-stats report programs, not to detect the newest
    >> browsers.

    > Maybe you should quote that at Quack & his "1%" web stats. ;-)

    Hadron, DFS, cc, Ezekiel, Moshe Goldfarb AKA PhlatPhish sing the
    same anti-Linux mantra. I think it is a good the direction EU is
    going, to penalise astroturfers. Their agenda follow along these
    lines:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Lie

    The Big Lie is a propaganda technique. It was defined by Adolf
    Hitler in his 1925 autobiography Mein Kampf as a lie so
    "colossal" that no one would believe that someone "could have the
    impudence to distort the truth so infamously". [....]

    Later, Joseph Goebbels put forth a slightly different theory
    which has come to be more commonly associated with the expression
    big lie. Goebbels wrote the following paragraph in an article
    dated 12 January 1941, 16 years after Hitler's first use of the
    phrase big lie, entitled "Aus Churchills Lgenfabrik," translated
    "From Churchill's Lie Factory." It was published in Die Zeit ohne
    Beispiel.

    That is of course rather painful for those involved. One
    should not as a rule reveal one's secrets, since one does not
    know if and when one may need them again. The essential English
    leadership secret does not depend on particular intelligence.
    Rather, it depends on a remarkably stupid thick-headedness. The
    English follow the principle that when one lies, one should lie
    big, and stick to it. They keep up their lies, even at the risk
    of looking ridiculous.[1]

    Used in Hitler's psychological profile

    The phrase was also used in a report prepared during the war by
    the United States Office of Strategic Services in describing
    Hitler's psychological profile:[2]

    His primary rules were: never allow the public to cool off;
    never admit a fault or wrong; never concede that there may be
    some good in your enemy; never leave room for alternatives; never
    accept blame; concentrate on one enemy at a time and blame him
    for everything that goes wrong; people will believe a big lie
    sooner than a little one; and if you repeat it frequently enough
    people will sooner or later believe it.[3]
    The techniques of astroturfing in this newsgroup, to assail Linux
    as an unworthy operating system when just the opposite is true,
    follows along Hitler's party line. Assailing advocates when a so
    called apparent discrepancy that can be fully and totally blown
    out of proportion follow along Hitler's party line. Regarding
    these trolls, simply, THEY ALL DO IT.

    --
    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati