Is this another Microsoft shill? - Linux

This is a discussion on Is this another Microsoft shill? - Linux ; http://www.pdfpro-2008.com/pdf/ Franky, I have a bad feeling about this web site. The colors and logo were definitely intended to deceive. Then, there is the Version: 8.1, what a coincidence! At first look, this is a software, and later it seems ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

  1. Is this another Microsoft shill?

    http://www.pdfpro-2008.com/pdf/

    Franky, I have a bad feeling about this web site. The colors and logo
    were definitely
    intended to deceive. Then, there is the Version: 8.1, what a
    coincidence!

    At first look, this is a software, and later it seems to be a service.

    They run Windows 2003 in their web server: another reason for not
    trusting them.

    How come they can read Microsoft formats? I thought only Office could
    do that,
    in Microsoft's view.

    Has Adobe said anything about this site/company? Lawsuit in the works?

    -RFH

  2. Re: Is this another Microsoft shill?

    Franky, I have a bad feeling about this web site. The colors and logo
    were definitely
    intended to deceive. Then, there is the Version: 8.1, what a
    coincidence!

    At first look, this is a software, and later it seems to be a service.

    They run Windows 2003 in their web server: another reason for not
    trusting them.

    How come they can read Microsoft formats? I thought only Office could
    do that, in Microsoft's view.

    Has Adobe said anything about this site/company? Lawsuit in the works?

    -RFH

  3. Re: Is this another Microsoft shill?

    There are several companies who have PDF creation, editing and reader
    programs. I personally use PDF-XChange Pro by Tracker Software.

    It's called competition.

    --
    Don
    Vancouver, USA

    "Ramon F Herrera" wrote in message
    > Franky, I have a bad feeling about this web site. The colors and logo
    > were definitely
    > intended to deceive. Then, there is the Version: 8.1, what a
    > coincidence!
    >
    > At first look, this is a software, and later it seems to be a service.
    >
    > They run Windows 2003 in their web server: another reason for not
    > trusting them.
    >
    > How come they can read Microsoft formats? I thought only Office could
    > do that, in Microsoft's view.
    >
    > Has Adobe said anything about this site/company? Lawsuit in the works?
    >
    > -RFH

  4. Re: Is this another Microsoft shill?

    > http://www.pdfpro-2008.com/pdf/
    >
    > Franky, I have a bad feeling about this web site.

    Feel the force Luke... feel the force.

    > The colors and logo were definitely intended to deceive.

    Exactly. How dare they use Red, Green and Blue on their website. Very
    deceptive those sneaky bastards.

    > Then, there is the Version: 8.1, what a coincidence!

    Numbers can be deceptive too. Especially when they put that "dot-thing"
    between them. If I were you I'd format my hard drive immediately just to be
    sure.

    > At first look, this is a software, and later it seems to be a service.

    At first look your post seems paranoid, and later it seems simply crazy.

    > They run Windows 2003 in their web server:
    > another reason for not trusting them.

    I doubt it's "their" web server. Most likely a hosting service. But I don't
    blame you for not trusting them. Their choice of a hosting provider combined
    with that deceptive "red" color on the website is clearly a danger sign.

    > How come they can read Microsoft formats?

    Yeah. Those commi bastards. How dare anyone be able to read the most widely
    used document format on the planet.

    > I thought only Office could do that, in Microsoft's view.

    Tell that to the dozens (hundreds?) of applications that can read MS Office
    formats.

    > Has Adobe said anything about this site/company?

    The CEO of Adobe should put on a leather outfit and give this guy 50 lashes
    with a wet noodle.

    > Lawsuit in the works?

    Seek medical help. You've been reading the Roy Schestowitz crap too long and
    it's turned your brain into green jello.

    But otherwise I agree with you 100%. Between that deceptive "8.1" number and
    that deceptive "red" color on their website you've really cracked the case
    on this one Columbo! Maybe somebody will buy you a stuffed penguin.

  5. Re: Is this another Microsoft shill?

    On Wed, 21 May 2008 13:27:32 -0700, Don Schmidt wrote:

    > There are several companies who have PDF creation, editing and reader
    > programs. I personally use PDF-XChange Pro by Tracker Software.
    >
    > It's called competition.

    I hate PDF....
    Windows, Linux, Mac I don't care what platform.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  6. Re: Is this another Microsoft shill?

    On May 21, 4:27 pm, "Don Schmidt"
    wrote:
    > There are several companies who have PDF creation, editing and reader
    > programs. I personally use PDF-XChange Pro by Tracker Software.
    >

    > It's called competition.

    I am sure all the readers are familiar with the concept of
    competition. Otherwise I would direct them to an Econ 101 in the
    nearest community college.

    This case, however, is pretty close to the borderline of deception.

    Do us a favor and point out to another site that could be the subject
    of a lawsuit by Adobe. How about providing one example where the
    following caveat is used?

    "This site has no affiliation whatsoever with the owner or
    manufacturer of this software program."

    -Ramon

  7. Re: Is this another Microsoft shill?

    On 2008-05-21, Moshe. Goldfarb wrote:
    > On Wed, 21 May 2008 13:27:32 -0700, Don Schmidt wrote:
    >
    >> There are several companies who have PDF creation, editing and reader
    >> programs. I personally use PDF-XChange Pro by Tracker Software.
    >>
    >> It's called competition.

    > I hate PDF....
    > Windows, Linux, Mac I don't care what platform.

    ....at least you are able to hate it on all of those
    platforms and many others too.

    --
    OpenDoc is moot when Apple is your one stop iShop. |||
    / | \

  8. Re: Is this another Microsoft shill?

    In article
    Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    > http://www.pdfpro-2008.com/pdf/
    >
    > Franky, I have a bad feeling about this web site. The colors and logo
    > were definitely intended to deceive. Then, there is the Version: 8.1,
    > what a coincidence!

    What?

    --
    --Tim Smith

  9. Re: Is this another Microsoft shill?

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe. Goldfarb

    wrote
    on Wed, 21 May 2008 16:37:34 -0400
    :
    > On Wed, 21 May 2008 13:27:32 -0700, Don Schmidt wrote:
    >
    >> There are several companies who have PDF creation, editing and reader
    >> programs. I personally use PDF-XChange Pro by Tracker Software.
    >>
    >> It's called competition.

    > I hate PDF....
    > Windows, Linux, Mac I don't care what platform.

    Then what should it be replaced with? Microsoft *does* have
    an alternative, though I forget its name.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    "640K ought to be enough for anybody."
    - allegedly said by Bill Gates, 1981, but somebody had to make this up!

  10. Re: Is this another Microsoft shill?

    ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.advocacy.]
    On 2008-05-21, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe. Goldfarb
    >
    > wrote
    > on Wed, 21 May 2008 16:37:34 -0400
    >:
    >> On Wed, 21 May 2008 13:27:32 -0700, Don Schmidt wrote:
    >>
    >>> There are several companies who have PDF creation, editing and reader
    >>> programs. I personally use PDF-XChange Pro by Tracker Software.
    >>>
    >>> It's called competition.

    >> I hate PDF....
    >> Windows, Linux, Mac I don't care what platform.
    >>

    > Then what should it be replaced with? Microsoft *does* have
    > an alternative, though I forget its name.

    XPS. It's actually very nice to work with - since it is XML, not a
    binary file format.

    --
    Tom Shelton

  11. Re: Is this another Microsoft shill?

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Tom Shelton

    wrote
    on Wed, 21 May 2008 17:17:35 -0500
    :
    > ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.advocacy.]
    > On 2008-05-21, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe. Goldfarb
    >>
    >> wrote
    >> on Wed, 21 May 2008 16:37:34 -0400
    >>:

    >>> I hate PDF....
    >>> Windows, Linux, Mac I don't care what platform.
    >>>

    >> Then what should it be replaced with? Microsoft *does* have
    >> an alternative, though I forget its name.
    >>

    > XPS. It's actually very nice to work with - since it is XML, not a
    > binary file format.

    But is it standard? Apparently PDF is now specified
    completely by ISO 32000, adopted sometime near the
    end of January 2007. XPS is still going through the
    certifications process, presumably with a certain taint
    because of OOXML.

    I'm hoping someone develops a set of XPS tools at some
    point, and that OO and CUPS and others support it, but
    I get a little suspicious given Microsoft's past history.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Linux sucks efficiently, but Windows just blows around
    a lot of hot air and vapor.

  12. Re: Is this another Microsoft shill?

    On 2008-05-21, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Tom Shelton
    >
    > wrote
    > on Wed, 21 May 2008 17:17:35 -0500
    >:
    >> ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.advocacy.]
    >> On 2008-05-21, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe. Goldfarb
    >>>
    >>> wrote
    >>> on Wed, 21 May 2008 16:37:34 -0400
    >>>:

    >>> Then what should it be replaced with? Microsoft *does* have
    >>> an alternative, though I forget its name.
    >>>

    >> XPS. It's actually very nice to work with - since it is XML, not a
    >> binary file format.
    >>

    > But is it standard? Apparently PDF is now specified

    Not yet, but as noted below, it is in process.

    > completely by ISO 32000, adopted sometime near the
    > end of January 2007. XPS is still going through the
    > certifications process, presumably with a certain taint
    > because of OOXML.
    >
    > I'm hoping someone develops a set of XPS tools at some
    > point, and that OO and CUPS and others support it, but
    > I get a little suspicious given Microsoft's past history.

    XPS is nice, it's Vista's default print spooler format. It does have
    a few limitations - like there is nothing comparable to PDF forms (at
    least not in the current version), but if you are dealing with a
    standard fixed format document - it is really nice to work with.
    Developing tools should be rather easy - since it is just an xml format

    I can't speak to the "taint of OOXML". Personally, I like it as well -
    at least it is miles easier to work with then the old binary formats and
    the stupid office object modle...

    --
    Tom Shelton

  13. Re: Is this another Microsoft shill?

    On May 21, 6:17 pm, Tom Shelton
    wrote:
    > ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.advocacy.]
    > On 2008-05-21, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >

    > > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe. Goldfarb
    > >
    > > wrote
    > > on Wed, 21 May 2008 16:37:34 -0400
    > >:

    > >> I hate PDF....
    > >> Windows, Linux, Mac I don't care what platform.

    > > Then what should it be replaced with? Microsoft *does* have
    > > an alternative, though I forget its name.

    > XPS. It's actually very nice to work with - since it is XML, not a
    > binary file format.

    PDF belongs to me (and to you, too). It is known as ISO-32000.

    Adobe is working on an XML-based file format, codenamed Mars:

    http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/mars/

    The FSF is working on free, complete, high quality PDF libraries:

    http://www.gnupdf.org

    The FSF would never work on that (what was the name again?) Microsoft
    "me-too" contraption.

    Users all over the world trust Adobe. We have every reason to do so.

    -Ramon

  14. Re: Is this another Microsoft shill?

    In article
    <4e72b77a-7a9c-45c9-b71b-5efd9a617774@p25g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,
    Ramon F Herrera wrote:

    > Users all over the world trust Adobe. We have every reason to do so.

    Yeah right.

    Tell it to Linux and MacOS FrameMaker users.

    Or any GoLive users, for that matter.

  15. Re: Is this another Microsoft shill?

    Ezekiel wrote:

    > But otherwise I agree with you 100%. Between that deceptive "8.1"
    > number and that deceptive "red" color on their website you've really
    > cracked the case on this one Columbo! Maybe somebody will buy you a
    > stuffed penguin.

    ha!!!

    Those cola nuts are special - they can spot a Windows "scam" a mile away (if
    it has a price tag it must be a ripoff), but they can't see past the free
    cost of their crappy OS.

  16. Re: Is this another Microsoft shill?

    * Tom Shelton peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > XPS is nice, it's Vista's default print spooler format. It does have
    > a few limitations - like there is nothing comparable to PDF forms (at
    > least not in the current version), but if you are dealing with a
    > standard fixed format document - it is really nice to work with.
    > Developing tools should be rather easy - since it is just an xml format

    Glad you put a smiley there.

    > I can't speak to the "taint of OOXML". Personally, I like it as well -
    > at least it is miles easier to work with then the old binary formats and
    > the stupid office object modle...

    Still, it's yet another wheel reinvented by our predatory monopolist.

    Any format you want, as long as its a Microsoft format.

    --
    As we look ahead into the next century, leaders will be those who empower
    others.

  17. Re: Is this another Microsoft shill?

    > How about providing one example where the
    > following caveat is used?
    >
    > "This site has no affiliation whatsoever with the owner or
    > manufacturer of this software program."

    Google "This site has no affiliation whatsoever with the owner or
    manufacturer of this software program."
    You'll find a bunch. Not big, well-known companies, to be sure.

    -markd

  18. Re: Is this another Microsoft shill?

    Ramon F Herrera wrote:

    > How come they can read Microsoft formats? I thought only Office could
    > do that, in Microsoft's view.

    No.

    Steve

  19. Re: Is this another Microsoft shill?

    In article
    <69543437-f529-4711-bd4d-be09bb174f43@m36g2000hse.googlegroups.com>,
    xymarkd wrote:

    > > How about providing one example where the
    > > following caveat is used?
    > >
    > > "This site has no affiliation whatsoever with the owner or
    > > manufacturer of this software program."

    > Google "This site has no affiliation whatsoever with the owner or
    > manufacturer of this software program."
    > You'll find a bunch. Not big, well-known companies, to be sure.

    I did just that, and almost all the top results seem to be for PDF
    creation and may all be from the same source.

    That suggests a very small number of people trying to avoid
    prosecution. It still doesn't make any of it sensible or smart.
    (Seriously -- a remark "I see nothing, I know nothing" on the product's
    advertising pages?)

  20. Re: Is this another Microsoft shill?

    "Ezekiel" writes:

    > "Ramon F Herrera" wrote in message
    >>
    >> http://www.pdfpro-2008.com/pdf/
    >>
    >> Franky, I have a bad feeling about this web site.

    > Feel the force Luke... feel the force.
    >

    >> The colors and logo were definitely intended to deceive.

    > Exactly. How dare they use Red, Green and Blue on their website. Very
    > deceptive those sneaky bastards.
    >

    >> Then, there is the Version: 8.1, what a coincidence!

    > Numbers can be deceptive too. Especially when they put that "dot-thing"
    > between them. If I were you I'd format my hard drive immediately just to be
    > sure.
    >

    >> At first look, this is a software, and later it seems to be a service.

    > At first look your post seems paranoid, and later it seems simply crazy.

    LOL. Good one. It seems Ramon has joined Liarnut in the loony bin.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast