Re: celementtree package - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: celementtree package - Linux ; On Wed, 21 May 2008 12:28:00 -0700 (PDT), KalyanS wrote: > i am a newbie to linux world. i installed Ubuntu on a windows xp > machine after downloading Ubuntu Installer from http://wubi-installer.org/ > website. this is v8.04 i believe. ...

  1. Re: celementtree package

    On Wed, 21 May 2008 12:28:00 -0700 (PDT), KalyanS wrote:

    > i am a newbie to linux world. i installed Ubuntu on a windows xp
    > machine after downloading Ubuntu Installer from http://wubi-installer.org/
    > website. this is v8.04 i believe. when i type "uname -a" I get
    > 2.6.24-16-generic as the kernel version.
    >
    > when i do "yum install software_name" i am getting "No module name
    > cElementTree" error. so i wanted to install an RPM package for this.
    > the RPM find website shows several packages
    > http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/se...n-celementtree
    > Which one should i install.
    >
    > If there is no right package how can i make yum install work on this
    > machine?

    cElementTree ?

    It's probably Celementtree.

    or

    CELememTTreE.

    or

    CeLeMenTtrEE

    or.........................

    Welcome to Linux!!
    Where confusion is the name of the game.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  2. Re: celementtree package

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe. Goldfarb

    wrote
    on Wed, 21 May 2008 16:07:07 -0400
    :
    > On Wed, 21 May 2008 12:28:00 -0700 (PDT), KalyanS wrote:
    >
    >> i am a newbie to linux world. i installed Ubuntu on a windows xp
    >> machine after downloading Ubuntu Installer from http://wubi-installer.org/
    >> website. this is v8.04 i believe. when i type "uname -a" I get
    >> 2.6.24-16-generic as the kernel version.
    >>
    >> when i do "yum install software_name" i am getting "No module name
    >> cElementTree" error. so i wanted to install an RPM package for this.
    >> the RPM find website shows several packages
    >> http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/se...n-celementtree
    >> Which one should i install.
    >>
    >> If there is no right package how can i make yum install work on this
    >> machine?

    > cElementTree ?
    >
    > It's probably Celementtree.
    >
    > or
    >
    > CELememTTreE.
    >
    > or
    >
    > CeLeMenTtrEE
    >
    > or.........................
    >
    > Welcome to Linux!!
    > Where confusion is the name of the game.

    Exactly. Just get Windows Vista Ultimate. No more Ubuntu problems.

    :-P

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    GNU and improved.

  3. Re: celementtree package

    On Wed, 21 May 2008 13:34:16 -0700, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe. Goldfarb
    >
    > wrote
    > on Wed, 21 May 2008 16:07:07 -0400
    > :
    >> On Wed, 21 May 2008 12:28:00 -0700 (PDT), KalyanS wrote:
    >>
    >>> i am a newbie to linux world. i installed Ubuntu on a windows xp
    >>> machine after downloading Ubuntu Installer from http://wubi-installer.org/
    >>> website. this is v8.04 i believe. when i type "uname -a" I get
    >>> 2.6.24-16-generic as the kernel version.
    >>>
    >>> when i do "yum install software_name" i am getting "No module name
    >>> cElementTree" error. so i wanted to install an RPM package for this.
    >>> the RPM find website shows several packages
    >>> http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/se...n-celementtree
    >>> Which one should i install.
    >>>
    >>> If there is no right package how can i make yum install work on this
    >>> machine?

    >> cElementTree ?
    >>
    >> It's probably Celementtree.
    >>
    >> or
    >>
    >> CELememTTreE.
    >>
    >> or
    >>
    >> CeLeMenTtrEE
    >>
    >> or.........................
    >>
    >> Welcome to Linux!!
    >> Where confusion is the name of the game.
    >>

    > Exactly. Just get Windows Vista Ultimate. No more Ubuntu problems.
    >
    > :-P

    Yikes no.....
    Stick with XP and no more Ubuntu problems.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  4. Re: celementtree package

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe. Goldfarb

    wrote
    on Wed, 21 May 2008 17:11:05 -0400
    :
    > On Wed, 21 May 2008 13:34:16 -0700, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe. Goldfarb
    >>
    >> wrote
    >> on Wed, 21 May 2008 16:07:07 -0400
    >> :

    >>> cElementTree ?
    >>>
    >>> It's probably Celementtree.
    >>>
    >>> or
    >>>
    >>> CELememTTreE.
    >>>
    >>> or
    >>>
    >>> CeLeMenTtrEE
    >>>
    >>> or.........................
    >>>
    >>> Welcome to Linux!!
    >>> Where confusion is the name of the game.
    >>>

    >> Exactly. Just get Windows Vista Ultimate. No more Ubuntu problems.
    >>
    >> :-P

    > Yikes no.....
    > Stick with XP and no more Ubuntu problems.

    What's wrong with Vista?

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    New Technology? Not There. No Thanks.

  5. Re: celementtree package

    On 2008-05-21, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe. Goldfarb
    >
    > wrote
    > on Wed, 21 May 2008 16:07:07 -0400
    >:
    >> On Wed, 21 May 2008 12:28:00 -0700 (PDT), KalyanS wrote:
    >>
    >>> i am a newbie to linux world. i installed Ubuntu on a windows xp
    >>> machine after downloading Ubuntu Installer from http://wubi-installer.org/
    >>> website. this is v8.04 i believe. when i type "uname -a" I get
    >>> 2.6.24-16-generic as the kernel version.
    >>>
    >>> when i do "yum install software_name" i am getting "No module name
    >>> cElementTree" error. so i wanted to install an RPM package for this.
    >>> the RPM find website shows several packages
    >>> http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/se...n-celementtree
    >>> Which one should i install.
    >>>
    >>> If there is no right package how can i make yum install work on this
    >>> machine?

    >> cElementTree ?

    Not bloodly likely.

    People who tend to type everything tend to be lazy about what they
    will have to type in later. So anything that makes you reach for a
    shift key or the number row is probably a non-starter.

    >> It's probably Celementtree.
    >>
    >> or

    ....or do the "unix thing" and try some obvious regular expressions.

    Like .*element.*

    [deletia]
    > Exactly. Just get Windows Vista Ultimate. No more Ubuntu problems.
    >
    >:-P

    Redhat style packaging is why I don't run Redhat anymore...

    --
    OpenDoc is moot when Apple is your one stop iShop. |||
    / | \

  6. Re: celementtree package

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, JEDIDIAH

    wrote
    on Wed, 21 May 2008 17:44:57 -0500
    :
    > On 2008-05-21, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe. Goldfarb
    >>
    >> wrote
    >> on Wed, 21 May 2008 16:07:07 -0400
    >>:

    >>> cElementTree ?

    > Not bloodly likely.
    >
    > People who tend to type everything tend to be lazy about what they
    > will have to type in later. So anything that makes you reach for a
    > shift key or the number row is probably a non-starter.

    Unless one can leverage tab filename completion, but how many
    people name their files with mixed case, initial lower case?
    I certainly don't. ;-)

    I suspect a bug in the packaging here but am not about to
    go hunting. It's possible the person installing forgot
    to specify an RPM option that allows for autodetermination
    of dependencies. (Why that doesn't default, I don't know.
    Maybe it does by now.)

    >>> It's probably Celementtree.
    >>>
    >>> or
    >>>

    > ...or do the "unix thing" and try some obvious regular expressions.
    >
    > Like .*element.*

    If there's one slight screwup Linux inherited from Unix,
    it's the globbing versus Regular Expressions messup.

    Globbing: *element*
    RE: .*element.* (or [^ ]*element[^ ]*, depending).

    Probably not a lot one can do about it now, as it's
    ossified, but I have worked on systems, namely, Apollo
    Domain DomainOS, to be specific, where the program was
    expected to do the filename expansion, bolstered by utility
    routines that it could call. (It was called something like
    cli_$filescan() or cli_$expand(). I'd have to dig.)

    VMS and MS-DOS also require the program to do the scan.
    The former used F$SCAN() if memory serves; the latter used
    INT 21 with a value for the AH register that I now forget.

    Both VMS and DomainOS understood '...', which basically
    initiates a tree scan; "ld .../filename.txt" or
    "DIR [...]FILENAME.TXT" would be roughly equivalent to
    Unix's "find . -name 'filename.txt'".

    DomainOS is the only system which might have equated REs
    and globbing patterns, and even then it probably cheated.
    It used '?' where Unix used '.', so one saw a lot of
    things like 'mvf ?*.bak /somewhere/else. Presumably in a
    filesystem globbing context (ld, mvf, cpf, dlf) ? didn't
    allow spaces, but in regular expressions (chpat, fpat)
    it did...but I frankly don't remember now.

    DomainOS also had =, which is roughly equivalent to \1 in
    Unix; this made things such as mvf {?*}.txt =.text possible
    and extremely easy. In Unix one has to use a for loop, or
    pipe ls output through sed and shell, or a customized program.
    MS-DOS allows COPY *.txt \path\*.text though I'm not sure
    RENAME is horribly cooperative.

    For the most part MS-DOS/Windows is extremely stupid here,
    though .BAT files do have a for loop and one might do
    various things with VBScript or JScript, all three of
    which I'd frankly have to research.

    There's also PowerShell, which Microsoft probably hopes
    will kill Bourne-Again dead as a doornail, but considering
    their "successes" with NT and C#, I wouldn't get my hopes up,
    were I a Winvocate.

    > [deletia]
    >> Exactly. Just get Windows Vista Ultimate. No more Ubuntu problems.
    >>
    >>:-P
    >>

    > Redhat style packaging is why I don't run Redhat anymore...

    I gave up on Redhat long ago, myself...switched to Debian,
    then when *it* fouled up (I forget exactly what it did
    but it got into some sort of dependency loop) switched
    to Gentoo. But I did purchase a disc with RH 5.2 on it
    (no, not Enterprise 5; this one's very old).

    And Fedora looks reasonably nice, when I run it within QEMU.
    I should try Sabayon again, but last time I gave it a go
    it couldn't see the root partition in QEMU that I gave it.

    Ah well.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #12398234:
    void f(char *p) {char *q = strdup(p); strcpy(p,q);}

  7. Re: celementtree package

    * The Ghost In The Machine peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe. Goldfarb
    >>
    >> cElementTree ?
    >> It's probably Celementtree.
    >> or
    >> CELememTTreE.
    >> or
    >> CeLeMenTtrEE
    >> or.........................
    >>
    >> Welcome to Linux!!
    >> Where confusion is the name of the game.

    Ironic, considering how many names "Moshe" has appropriated over the
    years.

    Poor kid can't even master case-sensitivity (which doesn't apply in
    searches made in aptitude, and probably synaptic, by the way).

    > Exactly. Just get Windows Vista Ultimate. No more Ubuntu problems.

    But we'll always have flatfish problems.

    --
    This is a fantastic time to be entering the business world, because business
    is going to change more in the next 10 years than it has in the last 50.

  8. Re: celementtree package

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Linonut

    wrote
    on Thu, 22 May 2008 07:13:16 -0400
    :
    > * The Ghost In The Machine peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe. Goldfarb
    >>>
    >>> cElementTree ?
    >>> It's probably Celementtree.
    >>> or
    >>> CELememTTreE.
    >>> or
    >>> CeLeMenTtrEE
    >>> or.........................
    >>>
    >>> Welcome to Linux!!
    >>> Where confusion is the name of the game.

    > Ironic, considering how many names "Moshe" has appropriated over the
    > years.
    >
    > Poor kid can't even master case-sensitivity (which doesn't apply in
    > searches made in aptitude, and probably synaptic, by the way).
    >
    >> Exactly. Just get Windows Vista Ultimate. No more Ubuntu problems.

    > But we'll always have flatfish problems.

    True....and of course one won't have Ubuntu problems --
    but a lot of Vista problems instead. ;-)

    (Assuming Moshe = Flatfish, of which I for one can't be sure.
    But never mind, Moshe is Moshe...whatever he is. Linonut is
    Linonut. Chrisv is chrisv (and the fake one is whatever it is).
    etc.)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Linux. The choice of a GNU generation.
    Windows. The choice of a bunch of people who like very weird behavior on
    a regular basis, random crashes, and "extend, embrace, and extinguish".