Linux market share dead, dying (about 1.3% and falling) - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux market share dead, dying (about 1.3% and falling) - Linux ; "Rick" stated in post aoudnf5RFdkoNKnVnZ2dnUVZ_sjinZ2d@supernews.com on 5/21/08 4:01 PM: > On Wed, 21 May 2008 04:53:32 -0700, raylopez99 wrote: > >> On May 21, 4:43*am, "Ezekiel" wrote: >>> >>> Linux has done well as a free replacement for Unix in ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 53

Thread: Linux market share dead, dying (about 1.3% and falling)

  1. Re: Linux market share dead, dying (about 1.3% and falling)

    "Rick" stated in post
    aoudnf5RFdkoNKnVnZ2dnUVZ_sjinZ2d@supernews.com on 5/21/08 4:01 PM:

    > On Wed, 21 May 2008 04:53:32 -0700, raylopez99 wrote:
    >
    >> On May 21, 4:43*am, "Ezekiel" wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Linux has done well as a free replacement for Unix in the server room.
    >>> But even Linus admits that the desktop is the holy grail and is all
    >>> that he's interested in. His reasoning is that for every server there
    >>> are 100-200 desktops.
    >>>
    >>>

    >> Yes, and once MSFT perfects their licensed virtualization product (or
    >> VMWare does, and/or if MSFT buys and licenses it), then every user can
    >> have any OS on their desktop to their heart's content, including Mac,
    >> Windows, PS/2, Unix, Linux, BeOS, Amiga, Dr. Dos simulation, IBM 360-
    >> os, and probably a half dozen others. As long as these users pay their
    >> licensing fee to Microsoft that is.

    >
    > Really... let us know how everyone is going to be able to run OS X .


    Buy a Mac.
    >
    > And, using VMWare or Virtualbox, Most people can run a number of
    > operating systems now.


    Yeah, but the video sucks for Linux under both Parallels and VWware.
    >
    >>
    >> And that's the way I like it.

    >
    > Who cares what you like.
    >
    >>
    >> Ray Lopez
    >>
    >> A MSFT shareholder.

    >
    > Who cares that you are a Microsoft shareholder?




    --
    The answer to the water shortage is to dilute it.


  2. Re: Try again, troll - Linux market share fallacies

    High Plains Thumper wrote:

    > Way to go Hadron, "Usenet etiquette provocateur", "true Linux
    > advocate", "Debian distro governor", "kernel hacker", "emacs
    > user", "swapfile expert", "X specialist", "CUPS guru", "USB-disk
    > server admin", "defragger professional", "newsreader magician",
    > "hardware maven", "time coordinator", "email sage" and "OSS
    > culling committee chairman" Hadron Quark, aka Hans Schneider, aka
    > Richard, aka Damian O'Leary.


    Is this what you call a "pungent" insult, hypocrite?




  3. Re: Try again, troll - Linux market share fallacies

    On May 21, 9:48*pm, High Plains Thumper
    wrote:
    > cc wrote:
    > > High Plains Thumper wrote:

    >
    > >> Fallacy of using the W3 Schools statistics only takes into
    > >> account a small sampling of websites, does not correctly
    > >> tally Linux and Unix computers identified as Windows
    > >> computers, to gain access to Windows only accessibility
    > >> requirements. *It also does not take into account proxy
    > >> access, which an IP address may be used multiple times by
    > >> multiple machines.

    >
    > > Proxy access affects all OSes equally. So, this does not
    > > affect the Linux count any more than it affects Windows. Or
    > > Mac OS X. And so very few websites have Windows only
    > > accessibility requirements any more. So there would be a small
    > > margin of error, but that's in any sampling. You have yet to
    > > show why web stats are invalid. Try again nymshifter.

    >
    > Well, have another troll with a problem of illiteracy, who homes
    > in on one small item and ignores the post in total. *Then must
    > use insulting language to show his obnoxiousness.
    >
    > >> FALLACY OF USING THE W3 SCHOOLS STATISTICS ONLY TAKES INTO
    > >> ACCOUNT A SMALL SAMPLING OF WEBSITES, DOES NOT CORRECTLY
    > >> TALLY LINUX AND UNIX COMPUTERS IDENTIFIED AS WINDOWS
    > >> COMPUTERS, TO GAIN ACCESS TO WINDOWS ONLY ACCESSIBILITY
    > >> REQUIREMENTS.

    >
    > http://w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp



    Repeating what you wrote is not defending your point. What websites
    have windows only accessibility requirements any more? Also, of course
    W3 only takes into account a small sampling of websites. That's what
    statistics is.


    >
    > Statistics Are Often Misleading
    >
    > You cannot - as a web developer - rely only on statistics.
    > Statistics can often be misleading.
    >
    > Global averages may not always be relevant to your web site.
    > Different sites attract different audiences. Some web sites
    > attract professional developers using professional hardware,
    > while other sites attract hobbyists using old low spec computers.
    >
    > Quotes
    >
    > "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics."
    > Benjamin Disraeli
    >
    >


    Well no ****! You mean statistics can sometimes be invalid? Well
    you've just rocked the world of everyone in this newsgroup. Here's how
    you can easily make up statistics. Claim that statistic X (lets say X
    stands for 1.3%) are wrong because they are calculated incorrectly,
    provide no evidence other than your statement that they are incorrect.
    Claim that statistic Y (lets say Y stands for 20%), is correct,
    provide no evidence other than your statement that Y is correct. When
    questioned about why X is wrong and Y is right, post a quote saying
    that statistics can be misleading.

    The fact is almost all web stats you find have Linux 5% or less. It's
    a significant number, so I don't know why there is so much argument
    over it. But no one can find any evidence of Linux being much higher.
    All you can do is post half-assed attempts at refuting how they
    arrived at those numbers.

  4. Re: Try again, troll - Linux market share fallacies

    On Thu, 22 May 2008 03:53:04 -0700 (PDT), cc wrote:


    > The fact is almost all web stats you find have Linux 5% or less. It's
    > a significant number, so I don't know why there is so much argument
    > over it. But no one can find any evidence of Linux being much higher.
    > All you can do is post half-assed attempts at refuting how they
    > arrived at those numbers.


    That's the point.
    No matter where you look, except Roy's site where he claims 44.6 percent of
    people are using Linux, and highly Linux specific sites, the numbers come
    out about the same and put Linux at less than 1 percent of the desktop.

    That is pathetic after 10 years.


    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  5. Re: Try again, troll - Linux market share fallacies

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe. Goldfarb

    wrote
    on Thu, 22 May 2008 12:09:04 -0400
    :
    > On Thu, 22 May 2008 03:53:04 -0700 (PDT), cc wrote:
    >
    >
    >> The fact is almost all web stats you find have Linux 5% or less. It's
    >> a significant number, so I don't know why there is so much argument
    >> over it. But no one can find any evidence of Linux being much higher.
    >> All you can do is post half-assed attempts at refuting how they
    >> arrived at those numbers.

    >
    > That's the point.
    > No matter where you look, except Roy's site where he claims 44.6 percent of
    > people are using Linux, and highly Linux specific sites, the numbers come
    > out about the same and put Linux at less than 1 percent of the desktop.
    >
    > That is pathetic after 10 years.
    >


    16+. Linux was first released in 1991, and vaguely usable
    (if primitive) distros followed very soon afterwards. Vista's
    adoption rate will result in every desktop getting it in about
    5 years; what's taking *us* so long? The answer is probably a
    simple one: Microsoft is the more recognized, better solution.
    (FSVO "better", but people *know* it, and can compensate for
    its shortcomings. Linux is the angel in the shadows; one doesn't
    know if it's truly an angel, or a demon.)

    --
    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #10239993:
    char * f(char *p) {char *q = malloc(strlen(p)); strcpy(q,p); return q; }
    ** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **

  6. Re: Try again, troll - Linux market share fallacies

    On Thu, 22 May 2008 10:22:50 -0700, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe. Goldfarb
    >
    > wrote
    > on Thu, 22 May 2008 12:09:04 -0400
    > :
    >> On Thu, 22 May 2008 03:53:04 -0700 (PDT), cc wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>> The fact is almost all web stats you find have Linux 5% or less. It's
    >>> a significant number, so I don't know why there is so much argument
    >>> over it. But no one can find any evidence of Linux being much higher.
    >>> All you can do is post half-assed attempts at refuting how they
    >>> arrived at those numbers.

    >>
    >> That's the point.
    >> No matter where you look, except Roy's site where he claims 44.6 percent of
    >> people are using Linux, and highly Linux specific sites, the numbers come
    >> out about the same and put Linux at less than 1 percent of the desktop.
    >>
    >> That is pathetic after 10 years.
    >>

    >
    > 16+. Linux was first released in 1991, and vaguely usable
    > (if primitive) distros followed very soon afterwards. Vista's
    > adoption rate will result in every desktop getting it in about
    > 5 years; what's taking *us* so long? The answer is probably a
    > simple one: Microsoft is the more recognized, better solution.
    > (FSVO "better", but people *know* it, and can compensate for
    > its shortcomings. Linux is the angel in the shadows; one doesn't
    > know if it's truly an angel, or a demon.)


    I was being generous as Linux was pretty much unusable 16+ years ago.

    Ask any business how they compete with *free*.
    They will tell you they can't.

    The only condition is that the free product has to at least be of equal
    value or offer the user something of a better experience than the
    commercial product.

    If Sandisk gave away their players for free, how long would iPod be the
    king of the hill?
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  7. Re: Try again, troll - Linux market share fallacies

    On 2008-05-22, Moshe. Goldfarb wrote:
    > On Thu, 22 May 2008 10:22:50 -0700, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe. Goldfarb
    >>
    >> wrote
    >> on Thu, 22 May 2008 12:09:04 -0400
    >> :
    >>> On Thu, 22 May 2008 03:53:04 -0700 (PDT), cc wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>> The fact is almost all web stats you find have Linux 5% or less. It's
    >>>> a significant number, so I don't know why there is so much argument
    >>>> over it. But no one can find any evidence of Linux being much higher.
    >>>> All you can do is post half-assed attempts at refuting how they
    >>>> arrived at those numbers.
    >>>
    >>> That's the point.
    >>> No matter where you look, except Roy's site where he claims 44.6 percent of
    >>> people are using Linux, and highly Linux specific sites, the numbers come
    >>> out about the same and put Linux at less than 1 percent of the desktop.
    >>>
    >>> That is pathetic after 10 years.
    >>>

    >>
    >> 16+. Linux was first released in 1991, and vaguely usable
    >> (if primitive) distros followed very soon afterwards. Vista's
    >> adoption rate will result in every desktop getting it in about
    >> 5 years; what's taking *us* so long? The answer is probably a
    >> simple one: Microsoft is the more recognized, better solution.
    >> (FSVO "better", but people *know* it, and can compensate for
    >> its shortcomings. Linux is the angel in the shadows; one doesn't
    >> know if it's truly an angel, or a demon.)

    >
    > I was being generous as Linux was pretty much unusable 16+ years ago.
    >
    > Ask any business how they compete with *free*.
    > They will tell you they can't.


    ....unless there is some sort of externality preventing the customer
    from freely moving from one competing product to another.

    Perhaps something like "compatability"...

    Your point would make some sense if operating systems existed in a void.

    >
    > The only condition is that the free product has to at least be of equal
    > value or offer the user something of a better experience than the
    > commercial product.
    >
    > If Sandisk gave away their players for free, how long would iPod be the
    > king of the hill?


    Is it fully compatable with ALL of the files that an iPod user might
    have accumulated while being an iPod user?

    --
    My macintosh runs Ubuntu. |||
    / | \

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  8. Re: Try again, troll - Linux market share fallacies

    On May 22, 12:09*pm, "Moshe. Goldfarb"
    wrote:
    > On Thu, 22 May 2008 03:53:04 -0700 (PDT), cc wrote:
    > > The fact is almost all web stats you find have Linux 5% or less. It's
    > > a significant number, so I don't know why there is so much argument
    > > over it. But no one can find any evidence of Linux being much higher.
    > > All you can do is post half-assed attempts at refuting how they
    > > arrived at those numbers.

    >
    > That's the point.
    > No matter where you look, except Roy's site where he claims 44.6 percent of
    > people are using Linux, *and highly Linux specific sites, the numbers come
    > out about the same and put Linux at less than 1 percent of the desktop.
    >
    > That is pathetic after 10 years.
    >


    Well I wouldn't call it pathetic. 1 percent is still pretty
    impressive. What I would call pathetic is the attempts to discredit
    any ideas for the advancement of Linux with the argument that it's as
    good as possible, or that lots of people are using it anyway. One
    percent is something to build on.

  9. Re: Try again, troll - Linux market share fallacies

    DFS wrote:
    > High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >> Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >>> Hadron wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> The idiot known as HPT (for now) also forgets that
    >>>> W3Schools is more likely to have Linux visitors as Linux
    >>>> visitors tend to be more technically orientated.

    >>
    >> [....] Way to go Hadron, "Usenet etiquette provocateur",
    >> "true Linux advocate", "Debian distro governor", "kernel
    >> hacker", "emacs user", "swapfile expert", "X specialist",
    >> "CUPS guru", "USB-disk server admin", "defragger professional",
    >> "newsreader magician", "hardware maven", "time coordinator",
    >> "email sage" and "OSS culling committee chairman" Hadron
    >> Quark, aka Hans Schneider, aka Richard, aka Damian O'Leary.

    >
    > Is this what you call a "pungent" insult, hypocrite?


    See below.

    >> Not true. Look at the demography:
    >>
    >> http://w3schools.com/about/about_pagehits.asp
    >>
    >>
    >> Visitors Demographics
    >> Origin Percent
    >> United States 42.1 %
    >> India 10.1 %
    >> United Kingdom 8.0 %
    >> Canada 4.7 %
    >> Netherlands 2.5 %
    >> Australia 2.3 %
    >> Germany 2.0 %
    >> Sweden 1.7 %
    >> France 1.7 %
    >> Spain 1.4 %
    >> Italy 1.3 %
    >> Singapore 1.3 %
    >> Brazil 1.2 %
    >> Philippines 1.1 %
    >> Hong Kong 1.1 %
    >> Poland 1.0 %
    >>
    >>
    >> US has greatest number of visits at 42.1%, which is heavily
    >> Windows oriented. Other countries that have a higher Linux
    >> and Unix count are under represented. Not all access the
    >> internet has heavily as the US. Therefore, to utilise such
    >> statistics as indicative of Linux installed base leads to
    >> erroneous results.
    >>
    >>> Especially with all of these articles posted in COLA about
    >>> Linux taking over school districts and the educational
    >>> system.
    >>>
    >>> See how the Linux loons talk out of both sides of their
    >>> pus filled mouths?

    >>
    >> Interesting that PhlatPhish must resort to potty mouth
    >> tactics to express an opinion, because he has nothing worthy
    >> to say.


    Regarding DFS' comment

    > Is this what you call a "pungent" insult, hypocrite?


    above:

    http://www.faqs.org/faqs/linux/advocacy/faq-and-primer/

    7.6 Trespasser Disinformation Tactics

    [3.] Put your opponent off guard by insulting him. The liberal
    use of profanity and vulgarisms can be very effective,
    particularly when used against you more dignified opponents.
    Your experience as a school yard bully can be handy here.

    45. Criticize Linux Advocates but ignore anti-Linux
    propagandist transgressions. Always criticize the behavior of
    Linux Advocates, but, ignore the same and even worse
    transgressions are being committed by your fellow Trespassers.
    Example:

    From: "DFS"
    Subject: Re: Microsoft to *pay* users to use their product! (I
    like it!)
    Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 23:41:06 -0400

    chrisv wrote:
    > That's right, you should limit your job options for your
    > principles regarding freedom and choice in software!


    Yes, that's right loser hypocrite. You should.

    And if you don't make such a stand, then the principles you
    "advocates" pretend to care about - software freedom and choice
    and hatred of "evil and corrupt" Microsoft - aren't anywhere near
    as valuable to you as your years of silly cola shouting and
    name-calling would indicate, and you should shut your lying pieholes.

    This is especially true of Rex Ballard, Linocrite, [H]ypocrite,
    Ian Hilliard, fliar, 7, Spamowitz, Peter Kohlmann, Mark Kent,
    HPT, etc
    --
    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati
    (If all else fails, play dead)
    - "Red" Green

  10. Re: Try again, troll - Linux market share fallacies

    On Thu, 22 May 2008 16:06:57 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:

    > On 2008-05-22, Moshe. Goldfarb wrote:
    >> On Thu, 22 May 2008 10:22:50 -0700, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >>
    >>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe. Goldfarb
    >>>
    >>> wrote
    >>> on Thu, 22 May 2008 12:09:04 -0400
    >>> :
    >>>> On Thu, 22 May 2008 03:53:04 -0700 (PDT), cc wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>> The fact is almost all web stats you find have Linux 5% or less. It's
    >>>>> a significant number, so I don't know why there is so much argument
    >>>>> over it. But no one can find any evidence of Linux being much higher.
    >>>>> All you can do is post half-assed attempts at refuting how they
    >>>>> arrived at those numbers.
    >>>>
    >>>> That's the point.
    >>>> No matter where you look, except Roy's site where he claims 44.6 percent of
    >>>> people are using Linux, and highly Linux specific sites, the numbers come
    >>>> out about the same and put Linux at less than 1 percent of the desktop.
    >>>>
    >>>> That is pathetic after 10 years.
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>> 16+. Linux was first released in 1991, and vaguely usable
    >>> (if primitive) distros followed very soon afterwards. Vista's
    >>> adoption rate will result in every desktop getting it in about
    >>> 5 years; what's taking *us* so long? The answer is probably a
    >>> simple one: Microsoft is the more recognized, better solution.
    >>> (FSVO "better", but people *know* it, and can compensate for
    >>> its shortcomings. Linux is the angel in the shadows; one doesn't
    >>> know if it's truly an angel, or a demon.)

    >>
    >> I was being generous as Linux was pretty much unusable 16+ years ago.
    >>
    >> Ask any business how they compete with *free*.
    >> They will tell you they can't.

    >
    > ...unless there is some sort of externality preventing the customer
    > from freely moving from one competing product to another.
    >
    > Perhaps something like "compatability"...


    That's Linux's problem.
    And as far as compatibility is concerned, Linux can read email, browse the
    web, interact with most Office documents, do rudimentary multimedia etc.

    The problem is, for the most part, it doesn't do any of this better than
    Windows.
    And it is a far worse experience in many respects, decent context
    hyperlinked help systems for one.
    Linux rarely has decent help systems.

    Sorry, but Linux's problem is that it does not offer the user anything to
    entice them to switch other than being free and obviously even that is not
    enough.




    > Your point would make some sense if operating systems existed in a void.
    >
    >>
    >> The only condition is that the free product has to at least be of equal
    >> value or offer the user something of a better experience than the
    >> commercial product.
    >>
    >> If Sandisk gave away their players for free, how long would iPod be the
    >> king of the hill?

    >
    > Is it fully compatable with ALL of the files that an iPod user might
    > have accumulated while being an iPod user?


    It wouldn't matter.
    People would convert, reload, do whatever they needed to in order to get
    the free player.
    But ONLY if it was at least as good as the iPod.
    It doesn't have to be "compatible" as evidenced by other units that sell
    well.


    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  11. Re: Try again, troll - Linux market share fallacies

    On Thu, 22 May 2008 16:37:38 -0700 (PDT), cc wrote:

    > On May 22, 12:09*pm, "Moshe. Goldfarb"
    > wrote:
    >> On Thu, 22 May 2008 03:53:04 -0700 (PDT), cc wrote:
    >>> The fact is almost all web stats you find have Linux 5% or less. It's
    >>> a significant number, so I don't know why there is so much argument
    >>> over it. But no one can find any evidence of Linux being much higher.
    >>> All you can do is post half-assed attempts at refuting how they
    >>> arrived at those numbers.

    >>
    >> That's the point.
    >> No matter where you look, except Roy's site where he claims 44.6 percent of
    >> people are using Linux, *and highly Linux specific sites, the numbers come
    >> out about the same and put Linux at less than 1 percent of the desktop.
    >>
    >> That is pathetic after 10 years.
    >>

    >
    > Well I wouldn't call it pathetic. 1 percent is still pretty
    > impressive. What I would call pathetic is the attempts to discredit
    > any ideas for the advancement of Linux with the argument that it's as
    > good as possible, or that lots of people are using it anyway. One
    > percent is something to build on.


    Sure it is, but it's never going to increase until the Linux community
    figures out that 1000+ different versions of Linux is NOT a good thing.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  12. Re: Try again, troll - Linux market share fallacies

    On 2008-05-23, Moshe. Goldfarb wrote:
    > On Thu, 22 May 2008 16:37:38 -0700 (PDT), cc wrote:
    >
    >> On May 22, 12:09*pm, "Moshe. Goldfarb"
    >> wrote:
    >>> On Thu, 22 May 2008 03:53:04 -0700 (PDT), cc wrote:
    >>>> The fact is almost all web stats you find have Linux 5% or less. It's
    >>>> a significant number, so I don't know why there is so much argument
    >>>> over it. But no one can find any evidence of Linux being much higher.
    >>>> All you can do is post half-assed attempts at refuting how they
    >>>> arrived at those numbers.
    >>>
    >>> That's the point.
    >>> No matter where you look, except Roy's site where he claims 44.6 percent of
    >>> people are using Linux, *and highly Linux specific sites, the numbers come
    >>> out about the same and put Linux at less than 1 percent of the desktop.
    >>>
    >>> That is pathetic after 10 years.
    >>>

    >>
    >> Well I wouldn't call it pathetic. 1 percent is still pretty
    >> impressive. What I would call pathetic is the attempts to discredit
    >> any ideas for the advancement of Linux with the argument that it's as
    >> good as possible, or that lots of people are using it anyway. One
    >> percent is something to build on.

    >
    > Sure it is, but it's never going to increase until the Linux community
    > figures out that 1000+ different versions of Linux is NOT a good thing.


    It HAS increased despite all of that.

    Of course the end user isn't even aware of that "complexity" just as
    they aren't aware of all of the other areas in which an OS can be
    complex. If it weren't for Trolls that only exist to create FUD, no
    one would even be aware of this "too many distros" problem.

    Oddly enough, despite all this FUD and nonsense we always come back
    to people complaining that the latest east of use distro to take the
    community by storm is co-opting Linux.

    Redhat did it before and Ubuntu is doing it now.

    --
    Sophocles wants his cut. |||
    / | \

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  13. Re: Try again, troll - Linux market share fallacies

    JEDIDIAH writes:

    > On 2008-05-23, Moshe. Goldfarb wrote:
    >> On Thu, 22 May 2008 16:37:38 -0700 (PDT), cc wrote:
    >>
    >>> On May 22, 12:09*pm, "Moshe. Goldfarb"
    >>> wrote:
    >>>> On Thu, 22 May 2008 03:53:04 -0700 (PDT), cc wrote:
    >>>>> The fact is almost all web stats you find have Linux 5% or less. It's
    >>>>> a significant number, so I don't know why there is so much argument
    >>>>> over it. But no one can find any evidence of Linux being much higher.
    >>>>> All you can do is post half-assed attempts at refuting how they
    >>>>> arrived at those numbers.
    >>>>
    >>>> That's the point.
    >>>> No matter where you look, except Roy's site where he claims 44.6 percent of
    >>>> people are using Linux, *and highly Linux specific sites, the numbers come
    >>>> out about the same and put Linux at less than 1 percent of the desktop.
    >>>>
    >>>> That is pathetic after 10 years.
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>> Well I wouldn't call it pathetic. 1 percent is still pretty
    >>> impressive. What I would call pathetic is the attempts to discredit
    >>> any ideas for the advancement of Linux with the argument that it's as
    >>> good as possible, or that lots of people are using it anyway. One
    >>> percent is something to build on.

    >>
    >> Sure it is, but it's never going to increase until the Linux community
    >> figures out that 1000+ different versions of Linux is NOT a good thing.

    >
    > It HAS increased despite all of that.
    >
    > Of course the end user isn't even aware of that "complexity" just as
    > they aren't aware of all of the other areas in which an OS can be
    > complex. If it weren't for Trolls that only exist to create FUD, no
    > one would even be aware of this "too many distros" problem.


    Are you drunk or merely as thick as two short planks? You know full well
    that new recruits to LInux are totally confused by all the distros. Who
    wouldn't be?

    > Oddly enough, despite all this FUD and nonsense we always come back
    > to people complaining that the latest east of use distro to take the
    > community by storm is co-opting Linux.
    >
    > Redhat did it before and Ubuntu is doing it now.


    Huh? How come there is such a negligibly small uptake of Linux on the
    desktop then? 0.6% is certainly not good. Maybe if you take your head
    out of the sand and do something to actually *advocate* and *improve*
    Linux then this figure would increase.


    --
    XP is a flop and when users are still asking for W98 it shows that they
    aren't all taken in with the MS hype.
    comp.os.linux.advocacy - where they put the lunacy in advocacy

  14. Re: Try again, troll - Linux market share fallacies

    On 2008-05-23, Hadron wrote:
    > JEDIDIAH writes:
    >
    >> On 2008-05-23, Moshe. Goldfarb wrote:
    >>> On Thu, 22 May 2008 16:37:38 -0700 (PDT), cc wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> On May 22, 12:09*pm, "Moshe. Goldfarb"
    >>>> wrote:
    >>>>> On Thu, 22 May 2008 03:53:04 -0700 (PDT), cc wrote:
    >>>>>> The fact is almost all web stats you find have Linux 5% or less. It's
    >>>>>> a significant number, so I don't know why there is so much argument
    >>>>>> over it. But no one can find any evidence of Linux being much higher.
    >>>>>> All you can do is post half-assed attempts at refuting how they
    >>>>>> arrived at those numbers.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> That's the point.
    >>>>> No matter where you look, except Roy's site where he claims 44.6 percent of
    >>>>> people are using Linux, *and highly Linux specific sites, the numbers come
    >>>>> out about the same and put Linux at less than 1 percent of the desktop.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> That is pathetic after 10 years.
    >>>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> Well I wouldn't call it pathetic. 1 percent is still pretty
    >>>> impressive. What I would call pathetic is the attempts to discredit
    >>>> any ideas for the advancement of Linux with the argument that it's as
    >>>> good as possible, or that lots of people are using it anyway. One
    >>>> percent is something to build on.
    >>>
    >>> Sure it is, but it's never going to increase until the Linux community
    >>> figures out that 1000+ different versions of Linux is NOT a good thing.

    >>
    >> It HAS increased despite all of that.
    >>
    >> Of course the end user isn't even aware of that "complexity" just as
    >> they aren't aware of all of the other areas in which an OS can be
    >> complex. If it weren't for Trolls that only exist to create FUD, no
    >> one would even be aware of this "too many distros" problem.

    >
    > Are you drunk or merely as thick as two short planks? You know full well
    > that new recruits to LInux are totally confused by all the distros. Who
    > wouldn't be?


    ....anyone that just reads the usual news about Linux.

    There aren't 1000+ plus Linux distros mentioned.

    There aren't even 10.

    >
    >> Oddly enough, despite all this FUD and nonsense we always come back
    >> to people complaining that the latest east of use distro to take the
    >> community by storm is co-opting Linux.
    >>
    >> Redhat did it before and Ubuntu is doing it now.

    >
    > Huh? How come there is such a negligibly small uptake of Linux on the
    > desktop then? 0.6% is certainly not good. Maybe if you take your head


    Your assumption: One common marketing face == success.

    This is of course a fallacy.

    > out of the sand and do something to actually *advocate* and *improve*
    > Linux then this figure would increase.


    Counteracting malcious attempts to scare potential new users does well enough.

    --
    Sophocles wants his cut. |||
    / | \

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  15. Re: Try again, troll - Linux market share fallacies

    JEDIDIAH writes:

    > On 2008-05-23, Hadron wrote:
    >> JEDIDIAH writes:
    >>
    >>> On 2008-05-23, Moshe. Goldfarb wrote:
    >>>> On Thu, 22 May 2008 16:37:38 -0700 (PDT), cc wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> On May 22, 12:09Â*pm, "Moshe. Goldfarb"
    >>>>> wrote:
    >>>>>> On Thu, 22 May 2008 03:53:04 -0700 (PDT), cc wrote:
    >>>>>>> The fact is almost all web stats you find have Linux 5% or less. It's
    >>>>>>> a significant number, so I don't know why there is so much argument
    >>>>>>> over it. But no one can find any evidence of Linux being much higher.
    >>>>>>> All you can do is post half-assed attempts at refuting how they
    >>>>>>> arrived at those numbers.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> That's the point.
    >>>>>> No matter where you look, except Roy's site where he claims 44.6 percent of
    >>>>>> people are using Linux, Â*and highly Linux specific sites, the numbers come
    >>>>>> out about the same and put Linux at less than 1 percent of the desktop.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> That is pathetic after 10 years.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Well I wouldn't call it pathetic. 1 percent is still pretty
    >>>>> impressive. What I would call pathetic is the attempts to discredit
    >>>>> any ideas for the advancement of Linux with the argument that it's as
    >>>>> good as possible, or that lots of people are using it anyway. One
    >>>>> percent is something to build on.
    >>>>
    >>>> Sure it is, but it's never going to increase until the Linux community
    >>>> figures out that 1000+ different versions of Linux is NOT a good thing.
    >>>
    >>> It HAS increased despite all of that.
    >>>
    >>> Of course the end user isn't even aware of that "complexity" just as
    >>> they aren't aware of all of the other areas in which an OS can be
    >>> complex. If it weren't for Trolls that only exist to create FUD, no
    >>> one would even be aware of this "too many distros" problem.

    >>
    >> Are you drunk or merely as thick as two short planks? You know full well
    >> that new recruits to LInux are totally confused by all the distros. Who
    >> wouldn't be?

    >
    > ...anyone that just reads the usual news about Linux.
    >
    > There aren't 1000+ plus Linux distros mentioned.
    >
    > There aren't even 10.
    >
    >>
    >>> Oddly enough, despite all this FUD and nonsense we always come back
    >>> to people complaining that the latest east of use distro to take the
    >>> community by storm is co-opting Linux.
    >>>
    >>> Redhat did it before and Ubuntu is doing it now.

    >>
    >> Huh? How come there is such a negligibly small uptake of Linux on the
    >> desktop then? 0.6% is certainly not good. Maybe if you take your head

    >
    > Your assumption: One common marketing face == success.
    >
    > This is of course a fallacy.
    >
    >> out of the sand and do something to actually *advocate* and *improve*
    >> Linux then this figure would increase.

    >
    > Counteracting malcious attempts to scare potential new users does well
    > enough.


    Well enough being 0.6% infiltration? Well done. You must be very proud
    of yourself.

  16. Re: Try again, troll - Linux market share fallacies

    On Fri, 23 May 2008 17:25:34 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > JEDIDIAH writes:
    >
    >> On 2008-05-23, Moshe. Goldfarb wrote:
    >>> On Thu, 22 May 2008 16:37:38 -0700 (PDT), cc wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> On May 22, 12:09*pm, "Moshe. Goldfarb"
    >>>> wrote:
    >>>>> On Thu, 22 May 2008 03:53:04 -0700 (PDT), cc wrote:
    >>>>>> The fact is almost all web stats you find have Linux 5% or less. It's
    >>>>>> a significant number, so I don't know why there is so much argument
    >>>>>> over it. But no one can find any evidence of Linux being much higher.
    >>>>>> All you can do is post half-assed attempts at refuting how they
    >>>>>> arrived at those numbers.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> That's the point.
    >>>>> No matter where you look, except Roy's site where he claims 44.6 percent of
    >>>>> people are using Linux, *and highly Linux specific sites, the numbers come
    >>>>> out about the same and put Linux at less than 1 percent of the desktop.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> That is pathetic after 10 years.
    >>>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> Well I wouldn't call it pathetic. 1 percent is still pretty
    >>>> impressive. What I would call pathetic is the attempts to discredit
    >>>> any ideas for the advancement of Linux with the argument that it's as
    >>>> good as possible, or that lots of people are using it anyway. One
    >>>> percent is something to build on.
    >>>
    >>> Sure it is, but it's never going to increase until the Linux community
    >>> figures out that 1000+ different versions of Linux is NOT a good thing.

    >>
    >> It HAS increased despite all of that.
    >>
    >> Of course the end user isn't even aware of that "complexity" just as
    >> they aren't aware of all of the other areas in which an OS can be
    >> complex. If it weren't for Trolls that only exist to create FUD, no
    >> one would even be aware of this "too many distros" problem.

    >
    > Are you drunk or merely as thick as two short planks? You know full well
    > that new recruits to LInux are totally confused by all the distros. Who
    > wouldn't be?
    >
    >> Oddly enough, despite all this FUD and nonsense we always come back
    >> to people complaining that the latest east of use distro to take the
    >> community by storm is co-opting Linux.
    >>
    >> Redhat did it before and Ubuntu is doing it now.

    >
    > Huh? How come there is such a negligibly small uptake of Linux on the
    > desktop then? 0.6% is certainly not good. Maybe if you take your head
    > out of the sand and do something to actually *advocate* and *improve*
    > Linux then this figure would increase.


    Jebbidiah likes to write in rhymes and riddles.
    He is obtuse, odd and annoying.

    I mostly ignore him because it's a waste of time to play his semantic
    games.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  17. Re: Try again, troll - Linux market share fallacies

    >Quack snotted:
    >>
    >> Are you drunk or merely as thick as two short planks?


    Fsck you, you snotty POS.

    >> You know full well
    >> that new recruits to LInux are totally confused by all the distros.


    Stop lying about what other people know or think, asshole.

    >> Who wouldn't be?


    Most would not be, after the small amount of looking-into the sitution
    required to realize that there's only a few top distros that are being
    used by most "average folk" or "newbies".

    >> Huh? How come there is such a negligibly small uptake of Linux on the
    >> desktop then?


    Huh? How come you're such a worthless waste of skin? How come you
    suck ****?

    You know God-damned well that there are *multiple* reasons why so many
    use M$ products, fsckwit. It's not like THE REASON is "there's too
    many versions of Linux", OBVIOUSLY.

    >> 0.6% is certainly not good. Maybe if you take your headout of the
    >> sand and do something to actually *advocate* and *improve*
    >> Linux then this figure would increase.


    He's a far better advocate than Wintroll fsckwits like you are, Quack.


  18. Re: Try again, troll - Linux market share fallacies

    Moshe Goldfarb (flatfish) in real life Gary Stewart

    http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/2008/...arb-troll.html
    http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/2007/...ish-troll.html

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar
    * Frequently cross posts replies to other non-Linux related newsgroups
    * Frequently cross posts articles originally not posted to COLA

    --
    ! Don Zeigler
    ** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **

  19. Re: Try again, troll - Linux market share fallacies

    On Fri, 23 May 2008 12:34:36 -0500, chrisv wrote:

    >>Quack snotted:
    >>>
    >>> Are you drunk or merely as thick as two short planks?

    >
    > Fsck you, you snotty POS.
    >
    >>> You know full well
    >>> that new recruits to LInux are totally confused by all the distros.

    >
    > Stop lying about what other people know or think, asshole.


    Quack was obviously totally confused by all the distros, so the jerk
    believes everyone else is. Yes, he's *that* arrogant.

    >>> Who wouldn't be?

    >
    > Most would not be, after the small amount of looking-into the sitution
    > required to realize that there's only a few top distros that are being
    > used by most "average folk" or "newbies".


    Ah, but for that you need a brain & intelligence. Which obviously
    by-passed Quack.

    >>> Huh? How come there is such a negligibly small uptake of Linux on the
    >>> desktop then?

    >
    > Huh? How come you're such a worthless waste of skin? How come you suck
    > ****?
    >
    > You know God-damned well that there are *multiple* reasons why so many use
    > M$ products, fsckwit. It's not like THE REASON is "there's too many
    > versions of Linux", OBVIOUSLY.
    >
    >>> 0.6% is certainly not good. Maybe if you take your headout of the sand
    >>> and do something to actually *advocate* and *improve* Linux then this
    >>> figure would increase.

    >
    > He's a far better advocate than Wintroll fsckwits like you are, Quack.


    Yes, there's the 0.6% again, which is obviously *why* M$ called Linux "The
    Number One Threat"....well, isn't it? Yes, an elephant scared of a flea..

    Spot the flaw.

    --
    Mandriva 2008.1 64-bit.
    This message was sent from a
    computer which is guaranteed
    100% free of the M$ Windoze virus.

  20. Re: Try again, troll - Linux market share fallacies

    On 2008-05-23, William Poaster wrote:
    > On Fri, 23 May 2008 12:34:36 -0500, chrisv wrote:
    >
    >>>Quack snotted:
    >>>>
    >>>> Are you drunk or merely as thick as two short planks?

    >>




    >> He's a far better advocate than Wintroll fsckwits like you are, Quack.

    >
    > Yes, there's the 0.6% again, which is obviously *why* M$ called Linux "The
    > Number One Threat"....well, isn't it? Yes, an elephant scared of a flea..


    Recently, Ballmer said that they only really worried about Linux in the
    server market - on the desktop, it's apple they worry about.

    --
    Tom Shelton

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast