[News] Microsoft Still the 'Anti-Linux Company' - Linux

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 44

  1. [News] Microsoft Still the 'Anti-Linux Company'

    Microsoft tried to be Open but failed. Miserably.

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In a nutshell, they are saying that they will not sue "hobbyist FOSS users
    | and developers" but they will sue FOSS distributors and enterprise end-users
    | who fail to obtain a patent license from Microsoft. This is no bogey man. Its
    | quite clear in the announcement, and the BSA is pretty active in Malaysia,
    | not hesitating in sueing end user companies.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Here was a golden chance for Microsoft to gain some precious goodwill with
    | the Open Source Community. Instead they botched it up just like they did
    | before, again and again, cementing their reputation as the biggest and
    | baddest anti-FOSS company in existence today.
    |
    | How many other companies out there have such a anti-FOSS policies? Which
    company can be so unfriendly to their end users who prefer more choice? Why
    threaten when you should coax?
    `----

    http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/2008...oft-tried.html

    ....Good thoughts there which explain why Linux users are rightly 'obssessed'
    with that who schemes to 'f***ing kill' them. The "obssessed" and "Microsoft
    hater" labels are being used to urge people to stop watching and then be
    victimised, raped.

    Related:

    Sun exec accuses Microsoft of 'patent terrorism'

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The efforts of Microsoft to pressure the Linux community over alleged and
    | unspecified patents is akin to "patent terrorism", according to a local
    | executive for Sun Microsystems. *
    `----

    Microsoft, the art of Corporate Terrorism.

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft, no longer the technological leader in the Computer Desktop
    | market, is taking on a terrorist role in its attempt remain in power
    | at all costs. (see the link to the CNN story below)
    |
    | The tactic is intended to frighten current, and would be, free
    | software users away from products that Microsoft just can't compete
    | with. It's not a new tactic, but for the first time desperation is
    | beginning to show.
    `----

    http://sweetcomputing.com/index.php?...soft_Terrorism

    Convicted Monopolist Terrorizes Software Industry

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | That headline is designed to grab your attention. Sensationalistic as
    | it may be, it also happens to be true, if what you mean by 'terrorize'
    | is to provoke fear.
    |
    | If you've been following the presidential race in the United States,
    | you know the present crop of candidates have been exploiting the fear
    | of the American people as they never have before in the history of
    | the country.
    `----

    http://www.linux.org/news/opinion/ms_threats.html

  2. Re: [News] Microsoft Still the 'Anti-Linux Company'

    On Wed, 21 May 2008 04:57:47 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Microsoft tried to be Open but failed. Miserably.

    Linux tries to be the people's OS but nobody seems to want to take it even
    though it's free.

    Even the OLPC group discovered Linux was the item that was hamstringing the
    entire effort to get these laptops in the hands of children.

    Redhat discovered they wasted millions on Linux desktop that they couldn't
    sell so now they are out of the consumer desktop business.

    Asus is now offering a Windows based Eee system.

    Walmart pulled most of it's Linux boxes because sales were terrible.

    See a pattern here?

    No, I doubt you do Roy Schestowitz.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: [News] Microsoft Still the 'Anti-Linux Company'

    Micoshaft frauder Moshe. Goldfarb wrote on behalf of half wits from
    Micoshaft Corporation:

    > On Wed, 21 May 2008 04:57:47 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >> Microsoft tried to be Open but failed. Miserably.

    > Linux tries to be the people's OS but nobody seems to want to take it even
    > though it's free.

    Lying on behalf of Micoshaft Corporation has it penalties.
    The truth may just escape and become a put down on your persona.

    Linux sells 1 million+ embedded Linux gadgets PER DAY.

    Proof positive that source code is dowloaded, modified and customised
    and flashed into embedded products every minute of every
    day with a bigger developer community than micoshaft corporation.

    http://www.livecdlist.com
    http://www.distrowatch.com

  4. Re: Microsoft Still the 'Anti-Linux Company'

    Ezekiel wrote:
    > "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message

    > " > Microsoft tried to be Open but failed. Miserably. "
    >
    > Funny how this is *NOT* a quote of anyone in the media. It's a bit of
    > colorful comment that the unemployed loser Roy Schestowitz added on
    > his own.
    >
    > So NO idiot... this was NOT quoting someone else in the media.

    But here's a real quote (from Torvalds, back when he was more naive):

    "Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a completely
    unintentional side effect.", Linus Torvalds, New York Times interview, 2003.

    AS IF...

  5. Re: Microsoft Still the 'Anti-Linux Company'

    On 2008-05-22, DFS wrote:
    > Ezekiel wrote:
    >> "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message

    >> " > Microsoft tried to be Open but failed. Miserably. "
    >>
    >> Funny how this is *NOT* a quote of anyone in the media. It's a bit of
    >> colorful comment that the unemployed loser Roy Schestowitz added on
    >> his own.
    >>
    >> So NO idiot... this was NOT quoting someone else in the media.

    > But here's a real quote (from Torvalds, back when he was more naive):
    >
    > "Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a completely
    > unintentional side effect.", Linus Torvalds, New York Times interview, 2003.
    >
    > AS IF...

    ...it certainly kept Microsoft from "killing Unix".

    --

    Linux: Because I don't want to push pretty buttons. |||
    I want the pretty buttons to push themelves. / | \

  6. Re: Microsoft Still the 'Anti-Linux Company'

    "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message
    > On 2008-05-22, DFS wrote:
    >> Ezekiel wrote:
    >>> "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message

    >>> " > Microsoft tried to be Open but failed. Miserably. "
    >>>
    >>> Funny how this is *NOT* a quote of anyone in the media. It's a bit of
    >>> colorful comment that the unemployed loser Roy Schestowitz added on
    >>> his own.
    >>>
    >>> So NO idiot... this was NOT quoting someone else in the media.

    >> But here's a real quote (from Torvalds, back when he was more naive):
    >>
    >> "Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a
    >> completely
    >> unintentional side effect.", Linus Torvalds, New York Times interview,
    >> 2003.
    >>
    >> AS IF...

    > ...it certainly kept Microsoft from "killing Unix".

    Traditional "Unix" isn't dead but it's certainly on life support.

    I'm not claiming that it's all due to Microsoft. Linux certainly drove many
    of the nails into the Unix coffin. But the end result is the same.

  7. Re: Microsoft Still the 'Anti-Linux Company'

    On 2008-05-22, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message

    >>> But here's a real quote (from Torvalds, back when he was more naive):
    >>>
    >>> "Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a
    >>> completely
    >>> unintentional side effect.", Linus Torvalds, New York Times interview,
    >>> 2003.
    >>>
    >>> AS IF...

    >> ...it certainly kept Microsoft from "killing Unix".

    > Traditional "Unix" isn't dead but it's certainly on life support.
    >
    > I'm not claiming that it's all due to Microsoft. Linux certainly drove many
    > of the nails into the Unix coffin. But the end result is the same.

    It's really strange that you would feel the need to dellude yourself
    in this way. It's not like you get anything personal out of the accumlation
    of Gates wealth.

    --

    Linux: Because I don't want to push pretty buttons. |||
    I want the pretty buttons to push themelves. / | \

  8. Re: Microsoft Still the 'Anti-Linux Company'

    On 2008-05-22, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message
    >> On 2008-05-22, Ezekiel wrote:
    >>>
    >>> "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message

    >>> Traditional "Unix" isn't dead but it's certainly on life support.
    >>>
    >>> I'm not claiming that it's all due to Microsoft. Linux certainly drove
    >>> many
    >>> of the nails into the Unix coffin. But the end result is the same.

    >> It's really strange that you would feel the need to dellude yourself
    >> in this way.

    > If you think that traditional Unix isn't on life support then you're the one
    > delluding yourself.

    I'm in the trenches and I see nothing of the sort.

    Windows solutions don't even have completely equivalent hardware yet.

    [deletia]

    --

    The social cost of suing/prosecuting individuals |||
    for non-commercial copyright infringement far outweighs / | \

  9. Re: Microsoft Still the 'Anti-Linux Company'

    "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message
    > On 2008-05-22, Ezekiel wrote:
    >>
    >> "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message

    >>> It's really strange that you would feel the need to dellude yourself
    >>> in this way.

    >> If you think that traditional Unix isn't on life support then you're the
    >> one
    >> delluding yourself.

    > Windows solutions don't even have completely equivalent hardware yet.

    I didn't say it was Windows that's killing Unix. You ought to try reading
    comprehension for a change. It's Windows + Linux that's killing Unix.

    Recent article about server sales.

    http://www.itjungle.com/tfh/tfh030308-story02.html

    Linux and Windows Server Sales Outpace the Market in Q4
    Published: March 3, 2008

    Well, it is probably not a big surprise to anyone that revenues for servers
    running Linux or Windows outpaced the sales of the rest of the market in the
    final quarter of 2007. In fact, one way of looking at the market statistics
    just released by analysts at IDC is that Linux and Windows boxes are the
    main reason why the server market managed to grow revenues by 2.4 percent to
    $15.7 billion, driven by a 9 percent growth in shipments.

    In terms of platforms, the Windows platform continued to dominate server
    sales in the fourth quarter, unless you do not consider Linux a variant of
    Unix.

    Windows server sales grew by 6.9 percent to $5.7 billion in the fourth
    quarter, giving the Windows platform a 36.6 percent share of total server
    sales in the quarter. Unix servers, which have seen a bit of a resurgence in
    recent quarters *AFTER YEARS OF SLIDING*, saw sales across all brands rise
    by 1.5 percent to $5.2 billion, giving Unix a 33 percent share of the server
    pie in Q4.

    So let's see.... Even if we completely take Linux out of the equation, and
    it's Linux that is displacing Unix more than anything else. Even if we
    completely ignore Linux, Microsoft sold more servers than every brand of
    Unix combined. And you don't think this is hurting the Unix vendors? What
    color is the sky on your planet?

    > I'm in the trenches and I see nothing of the sort.

    I don't know what sort of trench you have your head stuck in but it's
    certainly not the view of the real world. Maybe you ought to pull your head
    out of the trench (or whatever it is that your head is stuck in) and smell
    the fresh air for a change.

  10. Re: Microsoft Still the 'Anti-Linux Company'

    * JEDIDIAH peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> It's really strange that you would feel the need to dellude yourself
    >>> in this way.

    >> If you think that traditional Unix isn't on life support then you're the one
    >> delluding yourself.

    > I'm in the trenches and I see nothing of the sort.
    > Windows solutions don't even have completely equivalent hardware yet.

    http://www.itjungle.com/tug/tug021507-story02.html

    Unix Is Dead? It Isn't Even Sick. . .

    Published: February 15, 2007
    by Dan Olds

    Gabriel Consulting Group's view, backed by our research with real
    customers (details later on), is that the Unix system market is
    healthy and that Unix servers will be around for a long, long time.

    http://www.informationweek.com/blog/...ix_dead_i.html

    Is Unix Dead? I Think I Hear It Laughing...

    Posted by Charles Bab****, Jan 24, 2006 03:38 PM

    Is Unix dead? We debated that issue as we worked on this week's cover
    story, "What's Left Of Unix?" My answer is no, it's not dead. As a
    matter of fact, I think I hear it laughing on its way to the bank.

    Oh dear. Zeke's record for perspicacity is right up there with John C.
    Dvorak's:

    http://www.art.net/~hopkins/Don/unix...x-is-dead.html

    The following is from the August '86 issue of the DEC Professional.

    Unix is Dead! Wanna Fight??
    John C. Dvorak

    Time to take these two mutts to the vet to be euthanized.

    --
    Information technology and business are becoming inextricably interwoven. I
    don't think anybody can talk meaningfully about one without the talking

  11. Re: Microsoft Still the 'Anti-Linux Company'

    "Linonut" wrote in message
    >* JEDIDIAH peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> If you think that traditional Unix isn't on life support then you're the
    >>> one
    >>> delluding yourself.

    >> I'm in the trenches and I see nothing of the sort.
    >> Windows solutions don't even have completely equivalent hardware yet.

    > http://www.itjungle.com/tug/tug021507-story02.html
    >
    > Unix Is Dead? It Isn't Even Sick. . .
    >
    > Published: February 15, 2007
    > by Dan Olds
    >
    > Gabriel Consulting Group's view, backed by our research with real
    > customers (details later on), is that the Unix system market is
    > healthy and that Unix servers will be around for a long, long time.
    >

    > http://www.informationweek.com/blog/...ix_dead_i.html
    >
    > Is Unix Dead? I Think I Hear It Laughing...
    >
    > Posted by Charles Bab****, Jan 24, 2006 03:38 PM
    >
    > Is Unix dead? We debated that issue as we worked on this week's cover
    > story, "What's Left Of Unix?" My answer is no, it's not dead. As a
    > matter of fact, I think I hear it laughing on its way to the bank.
    >
    > Oh dear. Zeke's record for perspicacity is right up there with John C.
    > Dvorak's:
    >
    > http://www.art.net/~hopkins/Don/unix...x-is-dead.html

    January 2006???? The article is long out of date. Try my link from March
    2008 and you'll see that Windows is now outselling every brand of Unix
    combined.

  12. Re: Microsoft Still the 'Anti-Linux Company'

    On Thu, 22 May 2008 08:42:33 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:

    > ...it certainly kept Microsoft from "killing Unix".

    Nobody has to kill Linux.
    It's pretty much on life support already.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  13. Re: Microsoft Still the 'Anti-Linux Company'

    In article <8antdqnkz8yh$.14rueroi0swi8.dlg@40tude.net>,
    Moshe. Goldfarb wrote:

    >Nobody has to kill Linux.
    >It's pretty much on life support already.

    Lol. Ever looked to see what OS your google news farm runs on?

  14. Re: Microsoft Still the 'Anti-Linux Company'

    On Thu, 22 May 2008 17:34:15 +0000 (UTC), the wharf rat wrote:

    > In article <8antdqnkz8yh$.14rueroi0swi8.dlg@40tude.net>,
    > Moshe. Goldfarb wrote:
    >>
    >>Nobody has to kill Linux.
    >>It's pretty much on life support already.
    >>

    > Lol. Ever looked to see what OS your google news farm runs on?

    Desktop Linux....
    Server Linux is doing well.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  15. Re: Microsoft Still the 'Anti-Linux Company'

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe. Goldfarb

    wrote
    on Thu, 22 May 2008 13:43:19 -0400
    <1rtrp8naf68l7.c4f9jd3i6cj0.dlg@40tude.net>:
    > On Thu, 22 May 2008 17:34:15 +0000 (UTC), the wharf rat wrote:
    >
    >> In article <8antdqnkz8yh$.14rueroi0swi8.dlg@40tude.net>,
    >> Moshe. Goldfarb wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Nobody has to kill Linux.
    >>>It's pretty much on life support already.
    >>>

    >> Lol. Ever looked to see what OS your google news farm runs on?

    > Desktop Linux....
    > Server Linux is doing well.

    Server Linux does appear to be holding its own but we'll
    see what the next version of Microsoft Windows Server
    brings to the table. I doubt it'll bring much, but IIS6
    did surprise me by supporting PHP, for example; that slices
    out a fair amount of market if one has a preexisting PHP
    installation.

    (Not that I use either IIS *or* PHP, though I've fiddled
    with PHP in the past.)

    And Dell is apparently making a bit of a thing about using
    Microsoft System Center; I keep seeing ads for it on the
    Web (two of them on internetnews.com, in fact, on the same
    page). This looks like a solution that allows for central
    managing of a bunch of business desktops and/or servers.

    Windows desktops and/or servers, of course.

    Yeppers....Microsoft is innovating again. (FSVO "innovating".)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Linux. An OS which actually, unlike certain other offerings, works.

  16. Re: Microsoft Still the 'Anti-Linux Company'

    "Moshe. Goldfarb" wrote in message
    > On Thu, 22 May 2008 08:42:33 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:
    >

    >> ...it certainly kept Microsoft from "killing Unix".

    > Nobody has to kill Linux.
    > It's pretty much on life support already.

    Spoken like a true Microsoft sheep.

    With Linux eating Microsoft from the bottom, Apple eating Microsoft from the
    top, the only question is where Linux will meet Apple.

    I hear MS-Office sales are stagnant even though more people own PCs, likely
    they are taking the cost effective solution and running standards compliant
    Open Office. After all, one does not have to worry about document
    portability.

    You might want to get the life support ready for Vista, MS-Office and
    Microsoft. If each grew only 6% a year. 6% off the top and 6% off the
    bottom, 8.33 years and MS is a bit player. Apple, Eee PC-Linux are both
    selling like hot cakes. People are realizing real xNIX solutions don't have
    the issues normally associated with MS-Vista.

    Until recently, Eee PC only shipped with Linux. Oh, I know Eee PC now ships
    with XPee, but still, 1/3 the buyers with the option are still opting Linux.
    Go figure.

  17. Re: Microsoft Still the 'Anti-Linux Company'

    "Canuck57" wrote in message

    > "Moshe. Goldfarb" wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 22 May 2008 08:42:33 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:
    >>

    >>> ...it certainly kept Microsoft from "killing Unix".

    >> Nobody has to kill Linux.
    >> It's pretty much on life support already.

    > Spoken like a true Microsoft sheep.

    You would know since you're a Windows user:

    > With Linux eating Microsoft from the bottom, Apple eating Microsoft from
    > the top, the only question is where Linux will meet Apple.

    Nowhere as long as people like you continue to use Microsoft products:

    > I hear MS-Office sales are stagnant even though

    You heard wrong. Facts prove otherwise.

    > more people own PCs, likely they are taking the cost effective solution
    > and running standards compliant Open Office. After all, one does not have
    > to worry about document portability.

    Besides using MS-Outlook Express you probably use MS-Office too.

    > You might want to get the life support ready for Vista, MS-Office and
    > Microsoft. If each grew only 6% a year. 6% off the top and 6% off the
    > bottom, 8.33 years and MS is a bit player. Apple, Eee PC-Linux are both
    > selling like hot cakes. People are realizing real xNIX solutions don't
    > have the issues normally associated with MS-Vista.

    Then why do you still run Windows. Oh that's right... because you say one
    thing but do another. There's a word for that. I think the word is
    HYPOCRITE.

    > Until recently, Eee PC only shipped with Linux. Oh, I know Eee PC now
    > ships with XPee, but still, 1/3 the buyers with the option are still
    > opting Linux. Go figure.

    Go figure why a hypocrite like you would use Microsoft Windows:

  18. Re: Microsoft Still the 'Anti-Linux Company'

    >Flat**** wrote:
    >>
    >> Nobody has to kill Linux.
    >> It's pretty much on life support already.

    Then why are you here dissing it, you worthless pus-bag? Why does
    Microshaft have to resort to bribery to prevent developing countries
    from defecting to Linux?

  19. Re: Microsoft Still the 'Anti-Linux Company'

    Canuck57 wrote:
    > "Moshe. Goldfarb" wrote in message
    >
    >>On Thu, 22 May 2008 08:42:33 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:
    >>

    >>> ...it certainly kept Microsoft from "killing Unix".

    >>Nobody has to kill Linux.
    >>It's pretty much on life support already.

    > Spoken like a true Microsoft sheep.
    >
    > With Linux eating Microsoft from the bottom, Apple eating Microsoft from the
    > top, the only question is where Linux will meet Apple.

    ....and you obviously drinking way too much beer...

    > I hear...

    translation:...I hope...

    ....more of your bull****!

    > You might want to get the life support ready for Vista, MS-Office and
    > Microsoft.

    You might want to give up your fukkin lying...

    more of your bull****...

    > Until recently, Eee PC only shipped with Linux. Oh, I know Eee PC now ships
    > with XPee, but still, 1/3 the buyers with the option are still opting Linux.
    > Go figure.

    Get lost!
    Frank

  20. Re: Microsoft Still the 'Anti-Linux Company'

    On Thu, 22 May 2008 15:41:33 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "Canuck57" wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Moshe. Goldfarb" wrote in message

    >>> Nobody has to kill Linux.
    >>> It's pretty much on life support already.

    >> Spoken like a true Microsoft sheep.

    > You would know since you're a Windows user:

    >> With Linux eating Microsoft from the bottom, Apple eating Microsoft from
    >> the top, the only question is where Linux will meet Apple.

    > Nowhere as long as people like you continue to use Microsoft products:

    >> I hear MS-Office sales are stagnant even though

    > You heard wrong. Facts prove otherwise.
    >
    >> more people own PCs, likely they are taking the cost effective solution
    >> and running standards compliant Open Office. After all, one does not have
    >> to worry about document portability.

    > Besides using MS-Outlook Express you probably use MS-Office too.

    >> You might want to get the life support ready for Vista, MS-Office and
    >> Microsoft. If each grew only 6% a year. 6% off the top and 6% off the
    >> bottom, 8.33 years and MS is a bit player. Apple, Eee PC-Linux are both
    >> selling like hot cakes. People are realizing real xNIX solutions don't
    >> have the issues normally associated with MS-Vista.

    > Then why do you still run Windows. Oh that's right... because you say one
    > thing but do another. There's a word for that. I think the word is
    > HYPOCRITE.

    >> Until recently, Eee PC only shipped with Linux. Oh, I know Eee PC now
    >> ships with XPee, but still, 1/3 the buyers with the option are still
    >> opting Linux. Go figure.

    > Go figure why a hypocrite like you would use Microsoft Windows:

    You beat me to it.

    Also add the fact that Redhat stopped making consumer desktop Linux because
    their is no market for it.

    The OLPC is going Windows because the installed Linux has hamstrung the
    unit to the point that they can't give it away.
    Windows is saving the unit.