[News] Microsoft Still the 'Anti-Linux Company' - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Microsoft Still the 'Anti-Linux Company' - Linux ; Canuck57 wrote: > "Moshe. Goldfarb" wrote in message > news:8antdqnkz8yh$.14rueroi0swi8.dlg@40tude.net... >> On Thu, 22 May 2008 08:42:33 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote: >> >> >>> ...it certainly kept Microsoft from "killing Unix". >> >> Nobody has to kill Linux. >> It's pretty ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 44 of 44

  1. Re: Microsoft Still the 'Anti-Linux Company'

    Canuck57 wrote:
    > "Moshe. Goldfarb" wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 22 May 2008 08:42:33 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:
    >>

    >>> ...it certainly kept Microsoft from "killing Unix".

    >> Nobody has to kill Linux.
    >> It's pretty much on life support already.

    > Spoken like a true Microsoft sheep.
    >
    > With Linux eating Microsoft from the bottom, Apple eating Microsoft
    > from the top, the only question is where Linux will meet Apple.

    [Giggle]

    > I hear MS-Office sales are stagnant even though more people own PCs,
    > likely they are taking the cost effective solution and running
    > standards compliant Open Office. After all, one does not have to
    > worry about document portability.

    [Giggle, giggle]

    > You might want to get the life support ready for Vista, MS-Office and
    > Microsoft. If each grew only 6% a year. 6% off the top and 6% off
    > the bottom, 8.33 years and MS is a bit player. Apple, Eee PC-Linux
    > are both selling like hot cakes. People are realizing real xNIX
    > solutions don't have the issues normally associated with MS-Vista.

    Desktop growth of Linux at 6%:
    This year 0.86%
    2009 - 0.91%
    2010 - 0.97%
    2011 - 1.02%
    2012 - 1.09%
    2013 - 1.15%
    2014 - 1.22%
    2015 - 1.29%
    2016 - 1.37%
    2017 - 1.45%
    2018 - 1.54%

    It's enough to make one tremble... from giggling.

  2. Re: Microsoft Still the 'Anti-Linux Company'

    * HeyBub peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Desktop growth of Linux at 6%:
    > This year 0.86%
    > 2009 - 0.91%
    > 2010 - 0.97%
    > 2011 - 1.02%
    > 2012 - 1.09%
    > 2013 - 1.15%
    > 2014 - 1.22%
    > 2015 - 1.29%
    > 2016 - 1.37%
    > 2017 - 1.45%
    > 2018 - 1.54%
    >
    > It's enough to make one tremble... from giggling.

    Start from 1.5% (US) and 4.5% (Europe) instead.

    And that's just the desktop.

    Oh, and the growth rate of "desktop" Linux is not 6% year-over-year.
    It's more like 75%.

    Sorry dude, wrong file!

    --
    He is divisive. He is manipulative. He is a user. He has taken much from me and
    the industry.

  3. Re: Microsoft Still the 'Anti-Linux Company'

    On Fri, 23 May 2008 19:25:11 -0500, HeyBub wrote:

    > Canuck57 wrote:
    >> "Moshe. Goldfarb" wrote in message

    >>> Nobody has to kill Linux.
    >>> It's pretty much on life support already.

    >> Spoken like a true Microsoft sheep.
    >>
    >> With Linux eating Microsoft from the bottom, Apple eating Microsoft
    >> from the top, the only question is where Linux will meet Apple.

    > [Giggle]
    >

    >> I hear MS-Office sales are stagnant even though more people own PCs,
    >> likely they are taking the cost effective solution and running
    >> standards compliant Open Office. After all, one does not have to worry
    >> about document portability.

    > [Giggle, giggle]
    >

    >> You might want to get the life support ready for Vista, MS-Office and
    >> Microsoft. If each grew only 6% a year. 6% off the top and 6% off the
    >> bottom, 8.33 years and MS is a bit player. Apple, Eee PC-Linux are
    >> both selling like hot cakes. People are realizing real xNIX solutions
    >> don't have the issues normally associated with MS-Vista.

    > Desktop growth of Linux at 6%:
    > This year 0.86%
    > 2009 - 0.91%
    > 2010 - 0.97%
    > 2011 - 1.02%
    > 2012 - 1.09%
    > 2013 - 1.15%
    > 2014 - 1.22%
    > 2015 - 1.29%
    > 2016 - 1.37%
    > 2017 - 1.45%
    > 2018 - 1.54%
    >
    > It's enough to make one tremble... from giggling.

    Number Microsoft does want you to see:

    http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,14...1/article.html

    On a fair playing ground, that is, without bundling; 4 sell with XP, 0
    sell with Vista and 2 sell with Linux. That means in this market
    segments, a growing one, Linux has a 33% market share.

    6% of total market share fool. That is conservative in the Eee PC
    market. OLPC, I think it is 100%. Others are about to crack as well.

    Apple is doing the same on the top side of the market.

    http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/10/17/
    apples_u_s_mac_market_share_rises_to_8_1_percent_i n_q3.html

    Microsoft isn't talking, but they know this is happening. Which is why
    they were after Yahoo, they are stagnating in market growth perhaps
    shrinking. Vista is driving people to Apple or to Linux.

    Microsoft knows the software market pricing has peeked. Boxed XP sales
    outstrip boxed Vista sales by some large percentage and Vista sales come
    almost exclusive of OEM shipments.

    Times are changing.

  4. Re: Microsoft Still the 'Anti-Linux Company'

    On May 22, 4:36*pm, JEDIDIAH wrote:
    > On 2008-05-22, Ezekiel wrote:
    >

    > > "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message

    > [deletia]

    > >> ...silly troll. You make it sound like there's Linux specific server
    > >> hardware out there...

    > > Silly moron who can't read. I said no such thing. Only a complete moron
    > > would interpret what I wrote that way.

    > You're the moron.
    >
    > Before you can "kill" Unix you have to be able to completely replace it first.
    >
    > That still hasn't happened yet.
    >
    > Unfortunately for Microsoft there are still a lot of serious computing
    > customers that use systems in ways that no Windows configuration can
    > cope with.

    What about Linux, NOT Windows? Stop focusing on Windows and start
    focusing on the NON-Windows but also NON-Unix and NON-PROPRIETARY
    systems.

    Do you like the proprietary method?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3