[News] Microsoft Still the 'Anti-Linux Company' - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Microsoft Still the 'Anti-Linux Company' - Linux ; "the wharf rat" wrote in message news:g14aqn$4gq$1@reader2.panix.com... > In article , > Moshe. Goldfarb wrote: >> >>Nobody has to kill Linux. >>It's pretty much on life support already. >> > > Lol. Ever looked to see what OS your google ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 44

Thread: [News] Microsoft Still the 'Anti-Linux Company'

  1. Re: Microsoft Still the 'Anti-Linux Company'


    "the wharf rat" wrote in message
    news:g14aqn$4gq$1@reader2.panix.com...
    > In article <8antdqnkz8yh$.14rueroi0swi8.dlg@40tude.net>,
    > Moshe. Goldfarb wrote:
    >>
    >>Nobody has to kill Linux.
    >>It's pretty much on life support already.
    >>

    >
    > Lol. Ever looked to see what OS your google news farm runs on?


    Or his cable modem, wireless router...at home.

    Got a kick out of one manager I met. Bragging about how they were a
    Microsoft only shop and have absolutely nothing to do with UNIX and Linux.
    His rational was that UNIX/Linux and F/OSS was high cost, high maintenance
    and you had to had hold it.

    Ruined his day. See those [Appliance devices] here for mail routing, proxy
    and AV, they run BSD UNIX inside. The [NAS] storage over there, it is all
    Linux/Samba F/OSS. The wireless all over the office was Linux based WAP.
    See that firewall, vxWorks modeled after UNIX. Lets see your cell phone?
    Oh, SonyEricson Z520a, Fedora Core 4.

    Next time an idiot MS salesperson jokes about how bad Linux is. Take note
    of his cell phone type, good chance it is Linux inside and look it up.

    http://tuxmobil.org/phones_linux.html

    It is a riot too to hear MS people take of TiVo, a Linux appliance.

    The idiot might be a Linux user and not even know it.



  2. Re: Microsoft Still the 'Anti-Linux Company'

    the wharf rat wrote:
    > In article <8antdqnkz8yh$.14rueroi0swi8.dlg@40tude.net>,
    > Moshe. Goldfarb wrote:
    >> Nobody has to kill Linux.
    >> It's pretty much on life support already.
    >>

    >
    > Lol. Ever looked to see what OS your google news farm runs on?
    >

    I put Linux on a partition on my laptop. It worked find. Oops no printer
    support. Tried to play a cd. Didn't work. Had to download a wrapper from
    somewhere and that took a day to find. Oops, couldn't use Skype because
    of no microphone support. After two days of searching, I gave up. Bought
    a wireless router to work on the Vista side and then went to the Linux
    side and oops it didn't work. You get a Linux cd and then have to go to
    a hundred sites and countless, less than expert, opinions on how to fix
    it. The only thing good about Linux is that it is free.

  3. Re: Microsoft Still the 'Anti-Linux Company'

    On Thu, 22 May 2008 15:04:31 -0500, John Spence wrote:

    > the wharf rat wrote:
    >> In article <8antdqnkz8yh$.14rueroi0swi8.dlg@40tude.net>,
    >> Moshe. Goldfarb wrote:
    >>> Nobody has to kill Linux.
    >>> It's pretty much on life support already.
    >>>

    >>
    >> Lol. Ever looked to see what OS your google news farm runs on?
    >>

    > I put Linux on a partition on my laptop. It worked find. Oops no printer
    > support. Tried to play a cd. Didn't work. Had to download a wrapper from
    > somewhere and that took a day to find. Oops, couldn't use Skype because
    > of no microphone support. After two days of searching, I gave up. Bought
    > a wireless router to work on the Vista side and then went to the Linux
    > side and oops it didn't work. You get a Linux cd and then have to go to
    > a hundred sites and countless, less than expert, opinions on how to fix
    > it. The only thing good about Linux is that it is free.


    And that's a highly typical experience with Linux.

    One correction, Linux is only free if your time has no value.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  4. Re: Microsoft Still the 'Anti-Linux Company'

    On Thu, 22 May 2008 15:41:33 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "Canuck57" wrote in message
    > news:4UjZj.156638$rd2.88768@pd7urf3no...
    >>
    >> "Moshe. Goldfarb" wrote in message
    >> news:8antdqnkz8yh$.14rueroi0swi8.dlg@40tude.net...
    >>> On Thu, 22 May 2008 08:42:33 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>> ...it certainly kept Microsoft from "killing Unix".
    >>>
    >>> Nobody has to kill Linux.
    >>> It's pretty much on life support already.

    >>
    >> Spoken like a true Microsoft sheep.

    >
    > You would know since you're a Windows user:
    >
    > X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
    > X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5512 X-MimeOLE:
    > Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.5512
    >
    >
    >> With Linux eating Microsoft from the bottom, Apple eating Microsoft
    >> from the top, the only question is where Linux will meet Apple.

    >
    > Nowhere as long as people like you continue to use Microsoft products:
    >
    > X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
    > X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5512 X-MimeOLE:
    > Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.5512
    >
    >
    >
    >> I hear MS-Office sales are stagnant even though

    >
    > You heard wrong. Facts prove otherwise.
    >
    >> more people own PCs, likely they are taking the cost effective
    >> solution and running standards compliant Open Office. After all, one
    >> does not have to worry about document portability.

    >
    > Besides using MS-Outlook Express you probably use MS-Office too.
    >
    > X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
    > X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5512 X-MimeOLE:
    > Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.5512
    >
    >
    >
    >> You might want to get the life support ready for Vista, MS-Office and
    >> Microsoft. If each grew only 6% a year. 6% off the top and 6% off the
    >> bottom, 8.33 years and MS is a bit player. Apple, Eee PC-Linux are
    >> both selling like hot cakes. People are realizing real xNIX solutions
    >> don't have the issues normally associated with MS-Vista.

    >
    > Then why do you still run Windows. Oh that's right... because you say
    > one thing but do another. There's a word for that. I think the word is
    > HYPOCRITE.
    >
    > X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
    > X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5512 X-MimeOLE:
    > Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.5512
    >
    >
    >
    >> Until recently, Eee PC only shipped with Linux. Oh, I know Eee PC now
    >> ships with XPee, but still, 1/3 the buyers with the option are still
    >> opting Linux. Go figure.

    >
    > Go figure why a hypocrite like you would use Microsoft Windows:
    >
    > X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
    > X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5512 X-MimeOLE:
    > Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.5512


    Go figure. Check the headers on this one.

    MS is discontinuing XP, V6.00 is XP not Vista. I ceased being a Vista
    user some 4 weeks ago. Got tired waiting for fixers and SP1 didn't fix
    my issues.

    The machine that this message is being typed on once came with Vista.
    Ubuntu replaced Vista. If MS does not want to sell a decent OS like XP,
    and at a decent price then let them sink. MS over rates it's dominance
    in the world. Microsoft needs us, not the other way around.

    Haven't used MS-Office at home for years, in fact converted some 3+ years
    ago now. All the documents are ODF be they in XP or Linux. An open,
    standards compliant format. Why should I pay many hundreds of dollars
    for a OS specific Office tool like MS-Office? Node locked licenses, no
    portability makes MS-Office a over priced PoC and a PITA to use.

    Even at work, I use Open Office. Just that I save it as W2000/XP Word
    doc for my cohorts that still use only MS-Office.

    Will be in the market for a new laptop this fall. Apple is on the top of
    the list as I know it will work with my storage array and other devices.
    I will never buy a Vista PC again, or in at least until MS fixes it real.

    Unbuntu is blinding fast on a Q6600 with 8GB of RAM....Compiz, nice.

    So did you view the headers?


  5. Re: Microsoft Still the 'Anti-Linux Company'

    On Thu, 22 May 2008 15:59:00 -0400, Moshe. Goldfarb wrote:

    > On Thu, 22 May 2008 15:41:33 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >
    >> "Canuck57" wrote in message
    >> news:4UjZj.156638$rd2.88768@pd7urf3no...
    >>>
    >>> "Moshe. Goldfarb" wrote in message
    >>> news:8antdqnkz8yh$.14rueroi0swi8.dlg@40tude.net...
    >>>> On Thu, 22 May 2008 08:42:33 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>> ...it certainly kept Microsoft from "killing Unix".
    >>>>
    >>>> Nobody has to kill Linux.
    >>>> It's pretty much on life support already.
    >>>
    >>> Spoken like a true Microsoft sheep.

    >>
    >> You would know since you're a Windows user:
    >>
    >> X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
    >> X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5512 X-MimeOLE:
    >> Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.5512
    >>
    >>
    >>> With Linux eating Microsoft from the bottom, Apple eating Microsoft
    >>> from the top, the only question is where Linux will meet Apple.

    >>
    >> Nowhere as long as people like you continue to use Microsoft products:
    >>
    >> X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
    >> X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5512 X-MimeOLE:
    >> Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.5512
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>> I hear MS-Office sales are stagnant even though

    >>
    >> You heard wrong. Facts prove otherwise.
    >>
    >>> more people own PCs, likely they are taking the cost effective
    >>> solution and running standards compliant Open Office. After all, one
    >>> does not have to worry about document portability.

    >>
    >> Besides using MS-Outlook Express you probably use MS-Office too.
    >>
    >> X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
    >> X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5512 X-MimeOLE:
    >> Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.5512
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>> You might want to get the life support ready for Vista, MS-Office and
    >>> Microsoft. If each grew only 6% a year. 6% off the top and 6% off
    >>> the bottom, 8.33 years and MS is a bit player. Apple, Eee PC-Linux
    >>> are both selling like hot cakes. People are realizing real xNIX
    >>> solutions don't have the issues normally associated with MS-Vista.

    >>
    >> Then why do you still run Windows. Oh that's right... because you say
    >> one thing but do another. There's a word for that. I think the word is
    >> HYPOCRITE.
    >>
    >> X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
    >> X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5512 X-MimeOLE:
    >> Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.5512
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>> Until recently, Eee PC only shipped with Linux. Oh, I know Eee PC now
    >>> ships with XPee, but still, 1/3 the buyers with the option are still
    >>> opting Linux. Go figure.

    >>
    >> Go figure why a hypocrite like you would use Microsoft Windows:
    >>
    >> X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
    >> X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5512 X-MimeOLE:
    >> Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.5512

    >
    > You beat me to it.
    >
    > Also add the fact that Redhat stopped making consumer desktop Linux
    > because their is no market for it.
    >
    > The OLPC is going Windows because the installed Linux has hamstrung the
    > unit to the point that they can't give it away. Windows is saving the
    > unit.


    Fedora, free and open.

    http://fedoraproject.org/

    Comes with Open Office, DRM free, all development tools one wants in my
    business/hobby, all in one install. No sub-premium users either.

    Check the headers on this one.


  6. Re: Microsoft Still the 'Anti-Linux Company'

    On Thu, 22 May 2008 16:13:40 -0400, Moshe. Goldfarb wrote:

    > On Thu, 22 May 2008 15:04:31 -0500, John Spence wrote:
    >
    >> the wharf rat wrote:
    >>> In article <8antdqnkz8yh$.14rueroi0swi8.dlg@40tude.net>, Moshe.
    >>> Goldfarb wrote:
    >>>> Nobody has to kill Linux.
    >>>> It's pretty much on life support already.
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>> Lol. Ever looked to see what OS your google news farm runs on?
    >>>

    >> I put Linux on a partition on my laptop. It worked find. Oops no
    >> printer support. Tried to play a cd. Didn't work. Had to download a
    >> wrapper from somewhere and that took a day to find. Oops, couldn't use
    >> Skype because of no microphone support. After two days of searching, I
    >> gave up. Bought a wireless router to work on the Vista side and then
    >> went to the Linux side and oops it didn't work. You get a Linux cd and
    >> then have to go to a hundred sites and countless, less than expert,
    >> opinions on how to fix it. The only thing good about Linux is that it
    >> is free.

    >
    > And that's a highly typical experience with Linux.
    >
    > One correction, Linux is only free if your time has no value.


    I spent a lot more time trying to get Vista performance on my new PC up
    to where it should be and it was 2 weeks of wasted effort.

    Ubuntu Linux dropped in, ran right out of the box. Had to add drivers to
    get advanced support for Compix. In less than 20 minutes, had it running
    the way I wanted it and no performance issues.

    Ubuntu saved this machine from being a return.

  7. Re: Microsoft Still the 'Anti-Linux Company'

    On 2008-05-22, Moshe. Goldfarb wrote:
    > On Thu, 22 May 2008 15:41:33 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >
    >> "Canuck57" wrote in message
    >> news:4UjZj.156638$rd2.88768@pd7urf3no...
    >>>
    >>> "Moshe. Goldfarb" wrote in message
    >>> news:8antdqnkz8yh$.14rueroi0swi8.dlg@40tude.net...
    >>>> On Thu, 22 May 2008 08:42:33 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:

    [deletia]
    > You beat me to it.
    >
    > Also add the fact that Redhat stopped making consumer desktop Linux because
    > their is no market for it.
    >
    > The OLPC is going Windows because the installed Linux has hamstrung the
    > unit to the point that they can't give it away.
    > Windows is saving the unit.


    This is of course silly. By the foundations own admission there shouldn't
    be any functional improvement provided by Windows. That would rather defeat
    the point of the unit.

    --
    My macintosh runs Ubuntu. |||
    / | \

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  8. Re: Microsoft Still the 'Anti-Linux Company'


    "Canuck57" wrote in message
    newsGkZj.156680$rd2.6869@pd7urf3no...
    > On Thu, 22 May 2008 15:41:33 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >
    >> "Canuck57" wrote in message
    >> news:4UjZj.156638$rd2.88768@pd7urf3no...
    >>>
    >>> "Moshe. Goldfarb" wrote in message
    >>> news:8antdqnkz8yh$.14rueroi0swi8.dlg@40tude.net...
    >>>> On Thu, 22 May 2008 08:42:33 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>> ...it certainly kept Microsoft from "killing Unix".
    >>>>
    >>>> Nobody has to kill Linux.
    >>>> It's pretty much on life support already.
    >>>
    >>> Spoken like a true Microsoft sheep.

    >>
    >> You would know since you're a Windows user:
    >>
    >> X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
    >> X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5512 X-MimeOLE:
    >> Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.5512
    >>
    >>
    >>> With Linux eating Microsoft from the bottom, Apple eating Microsoft
    >>> from the top, the only question is where Linux will meet Apple.

    >>
    >> Nowhere as long as people like you continue to use Microsoft products:
    >>
    >> X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
    >> X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5512 X-MimeOLE:
    >> Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.5512
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>> I hear MS-Office sales are stagnant even though

    >>
    >> You heard wrong. Facts prove otherwise.
    >>
    >>> more people own PCs, likely they are taking the cost effective
    >>> solution and running standards compliant Open Office. After all, one
    >>> does not have to worry about document portability.

    >>
    >> Besides using MS-Outlook Express you probably use MS-Office too.
    >>
    >> X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
    >> X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5512 X-MimeOLE:
    >> Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.5512
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>> You might want to get the life support ready for Vista, MS-Office and
    >>> Microsoft. If each grew only 6% a year. 6% off the top and 6% off
    >>> the bottom, 8.33 years and MS is a bit player. Apple, Eee PC-Linux
    >>> are both selling like hot cakes. People are realizing real xNIX
    >>> solutions don't have the issues normally associated with MS-Vista.

    >>
    >> Then why do you still run Windows. Oh that's right... because you say
    >> one thing but do another. There's a word for that. I think the word is
    >> HYPOCRITE.
    >>
    >> X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
    >> X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5512 X-MimeOLE:
    >> Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.5512
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>> Until recently, Eee PC only shipped with Linux. Oh, I know Eee PC now
    >>> ships with XPee, but still, 1/3 the buyers with the option are still
    >>> opting Linux. Go figure.

    >>
    >> Go figure why a hypocrite like you would use Microsoft Windows:
    >>
    >> X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
    >> X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5512 X-MimeOLE:
    >> Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.5512

    >
    > Go figure. Check the headers on this one.


    Nothing to figure. The headers speak for themselves. Check the headers on
    my post if you like. (I'll pause while you check.)



    The bottom line is that you normally use Windows, probably prefer to use
    Windows and were posting using Windows. The only reason you switched to
    linux to make the last post is because you were nabbed using Windows as
    your native/default OS.


    > MS is discontinuing XP, V6.00 is XP not Vista. I ceased being a Vista
    > user some 4 weeks ago. Got tired waiting for fixers and SP1 didn't fix
    > my issues.


    And Ubuntu is going to be discontinuing 7.04 and SuSE 6.1 was discontinued
    in early 2k. Products get discontinued. But XP is still being sold and
    still being installed on new computers. So it's not like XP support fo the
    OS is going to disappear anytime soon.


    > The machine that this message is being typed on once came with Vista.
    > Ubuntu replaced Vista. If MS does not want to sell a decent OS like XP,
    > and at a decent price then let them sink. MS over rates it's dominance
    > in the world. Microsoft needs us, not the other way around.


    So why didn't you buy your machine from Tux Machines or Emperor Linux or
    one of those outfits? My guess is not enough "value."


    > Haven't used MS-Office at home for years, in fact converted some 3+
    > years ago now. All the documents are ODF be they in XP or Linux. An
    > open, standards compliant format. Why should I pay many hundreds of
    > dollars for a OS specific Office tool like MS-Office? Node locked
    > licenses, no portability makes MS-Office a over priced PoC and a PITA to
    > use.
    >
    > Even at work, I use Open Office. Just that I save it as W2000/XP Word
    > doc for my cohorts that still use only MS-Office.


    Those cohorts using MS-Office is most likely the overwhelming majority of
    the office.


    > Will be in the market for a new laptop this fall. Apple is on the top
    > of the list as I know it will work with my storage array and other
    > devices. I will never buy a Vista PC again, or in at least until MS
    > fixes it real.


    I just got a new laptop recently. I got the version with XP not Vista. The
    laptop has one of those "fingerprint readers" on it. (Fingerprint readers
    are very common and will probably become a standard feature soon.) The
    fingerprint reader doesn't work with linux. Not in a way that doesn't
    require an hour or two worth of work at the command line that is. I
    started a thread here about 2-3 weeks ago right after I got the laptop.


    > Unbuntu is blinding fast on a Q6600 with 8GB of RAM....Compiz, nice.
    >
    > So did you view the headers?


    So did you view mine??


    ** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **

  9. Re: Microsoft Still the 'Anti-Linux Company'

    On Thu, 22 May 2008 20:30:05 +0000, Canuck57 wrote:

    > On Thu, 22 May 2008 15:59:00 -0400, Moshe. Goldfarb wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 22 May 2008 15:41:33 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Canuck57" wrote in message
    >>> news:4UjZj.156638$rd2.88768@pd7urf3no...
    >>>>
    >>>> "Moshe. Goldfarb" wrote in message
    >>>> news:8antdqnkz8yh$.14rueroi0swi8.dlg@40tude.net...
    >>>>> On Thu, 22 May 2008 08:42:33 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> ...it certainly kept Microsoft from "killing Unix".
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Nobody has to kill Linux.
    >>>>> It's pretty much on life support already.
    >>>>
    >>>> Spoken like a true Microsoft sheep.
    >>>
    >>> You would know since you're a Windows user:
    >>>
    >>> X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
    >>> X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5512 X-MimeOLE:
    >>> Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.5512
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>> With Linux eating Microsoft from the bottom, Apple eating Microsoft
    >>>> from the top, the only question is where Linux will meet Apple.
    >>>
    >>> Nowhere as long as people like you continue to use Microsoft products:
    >>>
    >>> X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
    >>> X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5512 X-MimeOLE:
    >>> Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.5512
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>> I hear MS-Office sales are stagnant even though
    >>>
    >>> You heard wrong. Facts prove otherwise.
    >>>
    >>>> more people own PCs, likely they are taking the cost effective
    >>>> solution and running standards compliant Open Office. After all, one
    >>>> does not have to worry about document portability.
    >>>
    >>> Besides using MS-Outlook Express you probably use MS-Office too.
    >>>
    >>> X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
    >>> X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5512 X-MimeOLE:
    >>> Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.5512
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>> You might want to get the life support ready for Vista, MS-Office and
    >>>> Microsoft. If each grew only 6% a year. 6% off the top and 6% off
    >>>> the bottom, 8.33 years and MS is a bit player. Apple, Eee PC-Linux
    >>>> are both selling like hot cakes. People are realizing real xNIX
    >>>> solutions don't have the issues normally associated with MS-Vista.
    >>>
    >>> Then why do you still run Windows. Oh that's right... because you say
    >>> one thing but do another. There's a word for that. I think the word is
    >>> HYPOCRITE.
    >>>
    >>> X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
    >>> X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5512 X-MimeOLE:
    >>> Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.5512
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>> Until recently, Eee PC only shipped with Linux. Oh, I know Eee PC
    >>>> now ships with XPee, but still, 1/3 the buyers with the option are
    >>>> still opting Linux. Go figure.
    >>>
    >>> Go figure why a hypocrite like you would use Microsoft Windows:
    >>>
    >>> X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
    >>> X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5512 X-MimeOLE:
    >>> Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.5512

    >>
    >> You beat me to it.
    >>
    >> Also add the fact that Redhat stopped making consumer desktop Linux
    >> because their is no market for it.
    >>
    >> The OLPC is going Windows because the installed Linux has hamstrung the
    >> unit to the point that they can't give it away. Windows is saving the
    >> unit.

    >
    > Fedora, free and open.
    >
    > http://fedoraproject.org/
    >
    > Comes with Open Office, DRM free, all development tools one wants in my
    > business/hobby, all in one install. No sub-premium users either.
    >
    > Check the headers on this one.



    What do the headers tell you?
    This is vista BTW.

  10. Re: Microsoft Still the 'Anti-Linux Company'

    On 2008-05-22, Ezekiel wrote:
    >
    > "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message
    > news:slrng3b4ct.2pp.jedi@nomad.mishnet...
    >> On 2008-05-22, Ezekiel wrote:
    >>>
    >>> "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message
    >>> news:slrng3avhf.u23.jedi@nomad.mishnet...
    >>>> On 2008-05-22, Ezekiel wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>> "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message
    >>>>> news:slrng3au29.fs2.jedi@nomad.mishnet...
    >>>>>> On 2008-05-22, DFS wrote:
    >>>>>>> Ezekiel wrote:
    >>>>>>>> "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>> " > Microsoft tried to be Open but failed. Miserably. "
    >>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>> Funny how this is *NOT* a quote of anyone in the media. It's a bit
    >>>>>>>> of
    >>>>>>>> colorful comment that the unemployed loser Roy Schestowitz added on
    >>>>>>>> his own.
    >>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>> So NO idiot... this was NOT quoting someone else in the media.
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>> But here's a real quote (from Torvalds, back when he was more naive):
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>> "Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a
    >>>>>>> completely
    >>>>>>> unintentional side effect.", Linus Torvalds, New York Times
    >>>>>>> interview,
    >>>>>>> 2003.
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>> AS IF...
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> ...it certainly kept Microsoft from "killing Unix".
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Traditional "Unix" isn't dead but it's certainly on life support.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> I'm not claiming that it's all due to Microsoft. Linux certainly drove
    >>>>> many
    >>>>> of the nails into the Unix coffin. But the end result is the same.
    >>>>
    >>>> It's really strange that you would feel the need to dellude yourself
    >>>> in this way.
    >>>
    >>> If you think that traditional Unix isn't on life support then you're the
    >>> one
    >>> delluding yourself.

    >>

    >
    >>
    >> Windows solutions don't even have completely equivalent hardware yet.

    >
    > I didn't say it was Windows that's killing Unix. You ought to try reading


    ....silly troll. You make it sound like there's Linux specific server
    hardware out there...

    [deletia]

    --
    My macintosh runs Ubuntu. |||
    / | \

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  11. Re: Microsoft Still the 'Anti-Linux Company'

    On Thu, 22 May 2008 17:43:06 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "Canuck57" wrote in message



    >> Go figure. Check the headers on this one.

    >
    > Nothing to figure. The headers speak for themselves. Check the headers
    > on my post if you like. (I'll pause while you check.)


    You are reading stuff into the headers that isn't true.
    Pan is not a linux news reader as can be seen by my posting from vista.
    If I turned off the stupid avast header you couldn't tell what OS this is.
    Its a common mistake some linux users make to think OSS is linux only.


  12. Re: Microsoft Still the 'Anti-Linux Company'


    "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message
    news:slrng3bs3q.rqn.jedi@nomad.mishnet...
    > On 2008-05-22, Ezekiel wrote:
    >>
    >> "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message
    >> news:slrng3b4ct.2pp.jedi@nomad.mishnet...
    >>> On 2008-05-22, Ezekiel wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>> "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message
    >>>> news:slrng3avhf.u23.jedi@nomad.mishnet...
    >>>>> On 2008-05-22, Ezekiel wrote:
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message
    >>>>>> news:slrng3au29.fs2.jedi@nomad.mishnet...
    >>>>>>> On 2008-05-22, DFS wrote:
    >>>>>>>> Ezekiel wrote:
    >>>>>>>>> "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message
    >>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>> " > Microsoft tried to be Open but failed. Miserably. "
    >>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>> Funny how this is *NOT* a quote of anyone in the media. It's a
    >>>>>>>>> bit
    >>>>>>>>> of
    >>>>>>>>> colorful comment that the unemployed loser Roy Schestowitz added
    >>>>>>>>> on
    >>>>>>>>> his own.
    >>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>> So NO idiot... this was NOT quoting someone else in the media.
    >>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>> But here's a real quote (from Torvalds, back when he was more
    >>>>>>>> naive):
    >>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>> "Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a
    >>>>>>>> completely
    >>>>>>>> unintentional side effect.", Linus Torvalds, New York Times
    >>>>>>>> interview,
    >>>>>>>> 2003.
    >>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>> AS IF...
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>> ...it certainly kept Microsoft from "killing Unix".
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> Traditional "Unix" isn't dead but it's certainly on life support.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> I'm not claiming that it's all due to Microsoft. Linux certainly
    >>>>>> drove
    >>>>>> many
    >>>>>> of the nails into the Unix coffin. But the end result is the same.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> It's really strange that you would feel the need to dellude
    >>>>> yourself
    >>>>> in this way.
    >>>>
    >>>> If you think that traditional Unix isn't on life support then you're
    >>>> the
    >>>> one
    >>>> delluding yourself.
    >>>

    >>
    >>>
    >>> Windows solutions don't even have completely equivalent hardware
    >>> yet.

    >>
    >> I didn't say it was Windows that's killing Unix. You ought to try
    >> reading

    >
    > ...silly troll. You make it sound like there's Linux specific server
    > hardware out there...
    >


    Silly moron who can't read. I said no such thing. Only a complete moron
    would interpret what I wrote that way.


    ** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **

  13. Re: Microsoft Still the 'Anti-Linux Company'


    "dennis" wrote in message
    news:g14rdi$l13$2@news.datemas.de...
    > On Thu, 22 May 2008 17:43:06 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >
    >> "Canuck57" wrote in message

    >
    >
    >>> Go figure. Check the headers on this one.

    >>
    >> Nothing to figure. The headers speak for themselves. Check the headers
    >> on my post if you like. (I'll pause while you check.)

    >
    > You are reading stuff into the headers that isn't true.
    > Pan is not a linux news reader as can be seen by my posting from vista.
    > If I turned off the stupid avast header you couldn't tell what OS this
    > is.
    > Its a common mistake some linux users make to think OSS is linux only.
    >


    True. For some reason the linux "advocates" seem to think that Windows and
    OSS are mutually exclusive. Because of their blind hatred of Microsoft they
    can't see the difference between an operating system and the applications
    that run on it.


    ** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **

  14. Re: Microsoft Still the 'Anti-Linux Company'

    On 2008-05-22, Ezekiel wrote:
    >
    > "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message
    > news:slrng3bs3q.rqn.jedi@nomad.mishnet...
    >> On 2008-05-22, Ezekiel wrote:
    >>>
    >>> "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message
    >>> news:slrng3b4ct.2pp.jedi@nomad.mishnet...
    >>>> On 2008-05-22, Ezekiel wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>> "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message
    >>>>> news:slrng3avhf.u23.jedi@nomad.mishnet...
    >>>>>> On 2008-05-22, Ezekiel wrote:
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>> "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message
    >>>>>>> news:slrng3au29.fs2.jedi@nomad.mishnet...
    >>>>>>>> On 2008-05-22, DFS wrote:
    >>>>>>>>> Ezekiel wrote:
    >>>>>>>>>> "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message
    >>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>>> " > Microsoft tried to be Open but failed. Miserably. "

    [deletia]
    >>>>>
    >>>>> If you think that traditional Unix isn't on life support then you're
    >>>>> the
    >>>>> one
    >>>>> delluding yourself.
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>>>
    >>>> Windows solutions don't even have completely equivalent hardware
    >>>> yet.
    >>>
    >>> I didn't say it was Windows that's killing Unix. You ought to try
    >>> reading

    >>
    >> ...silly troll. You make it sound like there's Linux specific server
    >> hardware out there...
    >>

    >
    > Silly moron who can't read. I said no such thing. Only a complete moron
    > would interpret what I wrote that way.


    You're the moron.

    Before you can "kill" Unix you have to be able to completely replace it first.

    That still hasn't happened yet.

    Unfortunately for Microsoft there are still a lot of serious computing
    customers that use systems in ways that no Windows configuration can
    cope with.

    --
    My macintosh runs Ubuntu. |||
    / | \

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  15. Re: Microsoft Still the 'Anti-Linux Company'

    On Thu, 22 May 2008 17:43:06 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "Canuck57" wrote in message
    > newsGkZj.156680$rd2.6869@pd7urf3no...
    >> On Thu, 22 May 2008 15:41:33 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Canuck57" wrote in message
    >>> news:4UjZj.156638$rd2.88768@pd7urf3no...
    >>>>
    >>>> "Moshe. Goldfarb" wrote in message
    >>>> news:8antdqnkz8yh$.14rueroi0swi8.dlg@40tude.net...
    >>>>> On Thu, 22 May 2008 08:42:33 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> ...it certainly kept Microsoft from "killing Unix".
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Nobody has to kill Linux.
    >>>>> It's pretty much on life support already.
    >>>>
    >>>> Spoken like a true Microsoft sheep.
    >>>
    >>> You would know since you're a Windows user:
    >>>
    >>> X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
    >>> X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5512 X-MimeOLE:
    >>> Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.5512
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>> With Linux eating Microsoft from the bottom, Apple eating Microsoft
    >>>> from the top, the only question is where Linux will meet Apple.
    >>>
    >>> Nowhere as long as people like you continue to use Microsoft products:
    >>>
    >>> X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
    >>> X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5512 X-MimeOLE:
    >>> Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.5512
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>> I hear MS-Office sales are stagnant even though
    >>>
    >>> You heard wrong. Facts prove otherwise.
    >>>
    >>>> more people own PCs, likely they are taking the cost effective
    >>>> solution and running standards compliant Open Office. After all, one
    >>>> does not have to worry about document portability.
    >>>
    >>> Besides using MS-Outlook Express you probably use MS-Office too.
    >>>
    >>> X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
    >>> X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5512 X-MimeOLE:
    >>> Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.5512
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>> You might want to get the life support ready for Vista, MS-Office and
    >>>> Microsoft. If each grew only 6% a year. 6% off the top and 6% off
    >>>> the bottom, 8.33 years and MS is a bit player. Apple, Eee PC-Linux
    >>>> are both selling like hot cakes. People are realizing real xNIX
    >>>> solutions don't have the issues normally associated with MS-Vista.
    >>>
    >>> Then why do you still run Windows. Oh that's right... because you say
    >>> one thing but do another. There's a word for that. I think the word is
    >>> HYPOCRITE.
    >>>
    >>> X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
    >>> X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5512 X-MimeOLE:
    >>> Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.5512
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>> Until recently, Eee PC only shipped with Linux. Oh, I know Eee PC
    >>>> now ships with XPee, but still, 1/3 the buyers with the option are
    >>>> still opting Linux. Go figure.
    >>>
    >>> Go figure why a hypocrite like you would use Microsoft Windows:
    >>>
    >>> X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
    >>> X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5512 X-MimeOLE:
    >>> Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.5512

    >>
    >> Go figure. Check the headers on this one.

    >
    > Nothing to figure. The headers speak for themselves. Check the headers
    > on my post if you like. (I'll pause while you check.)
    >
    >
    >
    > The bottom line is that you normally use Windows, probably prefer to use
    > Windows and were posting using Windows. The only reason you switched to
    > linux to make the last post is because you were nabbed using Windows as
    > your native/default OS.
    >
    >
    >> MS is discontinuing XP, V6.00 is XP not Vista. I ceased being a Vista
    >> user some 4 weeks ago. Got tired waiting for fixers and SP1 didn't fix
    >> my issues.

    >
    > And Ubuntu is going to be discontinuing 7.04 and SuSE 6.1 was
    > discontinued in early 2k. Products get discontinued. But XP is still
    > being sold and still being installed on new computers. So it's not like
    > XP support fo the OS is going to disappear anytime soon.
    >
    >
    >> The machine that this message is being typed on once came with Vista.
    >> Ubuntu replaced Vista. If MS does not want to sell a decent OS like
    >> XP, and at a decent price then let them sink. MS over rates it's
    >> dominance in the world. Microsoft needs us, not the other way around.

    >
    > So why didn't you buy your machine from Tux Machines or Emperor Linux or
    > one of those outfits? My guess is not enough "value."
    >
    >
    >> Haven't used MS-Office at home for years, in fact converted some 3+
    >> years ago now. All the documents are ODF be they in XP or Linux. An
    >> open, standards compliant format. Why should I pay many hundreds of
    >> dollars for a OS specific Office tool like MS-Office? Node locked
    >> licenses, no portability makes MS-Office a over priced PoC and a PITA
    >> to use.
    >>
    >> Even at work, I use Open Office. Just that I save it as W2000/XP Word
    >> doc for my cohorts that still use only MS-Office.

    >
    > Those cohorts using MS-Office is most likely the overwhelming majority
    > of the office.
    >
    >
    >> Will be in the market for a new laptop this fall. Apple is on the top
    >> of the list as I know it will work with my storage array and other
    >> devices. I will never buy a Vista PC again, or in at least until MS
    >> fixes it real.

    >
    > I just got a new laptop recently. I got the version with XP not Vista.
    > The laptop has one of those "fingerprint readers" on it. (Fingerprint
    > readers are very common and will probably become a standard feature
    > soon.) The fingerprint reader doesn't work with linux. Not in a way that
    > doesn't require an hour or two worth of work at the command line that
    > is. I started a thread here about 2-3 weeks ago right after I got the
    > laptop.
    >
    >
    >> Unbuntu is blinding fast on a Q6600 with 8GB of RAM....Compiz, nice.
    >>
    >> So did you view the headers?

    >
    > So did you view mine??
    >
    >
    > ** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **


    If you follow my posts, I am not per say anti-MS-Windows, I am calling
    Vista a slugware because of it's slow disk and network performance. I do
    use XP, Linux and Solaris quite transparently and frequently change by
    turn on of a VM or turning my chair 90 degrees.

    Now if you caught me using headers showing I was using Vista, or posting
    a Word doc from M$-Office then you would have me. But I would know the
    headers were cooked as I haven't even booted Vista in 4 weeks. (The Q6600
    has 2 disks and triple boots).

    So pouncing on me for using XP if that gives some M$ fanboy his kicks,
    let them have a cheap thrill.

    But as I said, I have bought my first, and last Vista. And if Win7 is
    Vista regurgitated, I will skip that too. Let the world beta test it
    first.


  16. Re: Microsoft Still the 'Anti-Linux Company'


    "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message
    news:slrng3btbi.c31.jedi@nomad.mishnet...
    > On 2008-05-22, Ezekiel wrote:
    >>
    >> "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message
    >> news:slrng3bs3q.rqn.jedi@nomad.mishnet...
    >>> On 2008-05-22, Ezekiel wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>> "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message
    >>>> news:slrng3b4ct.2pp.jedi@nomad.mishnet...
    >>>>> On 2008-05-22, Ezekiel wrote:
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message
    >>>>>> news:slrng3avhf.u23.jedi@nomad.mishnet...
    >>>>>>> On 2008-05-22, Ezekiel wrote:
    >>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>> "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message
    >>>>>>>> news:slrng3au29.fs2.jedi@nomad.mishnet...
    >>>>>>>>> On 2008-05-22, DFS wrote:
    >>>>>>>>>> Ezekiel wrote:
    >>>>>>>>>>> "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message
    >>>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>>>> " > Microsoft tried to be Open but failed. Miserably. "

    > [deletia]
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> If you think that traditional Unix isn't on life support then you're
    >>>>>> the
    >>>>>> one
    >>>>>> delluding yourself.
    >>>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Windows solutions don't even have completely equivalent hardware
    >>>>> yet.
    >>>>
    >>>> I didn't say it was Windows that's killing Unix. You ought to try
    >>>> reading
    >>>
    >>> ...silly troll. You make it sound like there's Linux specific server
    >>> hardware out there...
    >>>

    >>
    >> Silly moron who can't read. I said no such thing. Only a complete moron
    >> would interpret what I wrote that way.

    >
    > You're the moron.
    >
    > Before you can "kill" Unix you have to be able to completely replace it
    > first.
    >
    > That still hasn't happened yet.


    Don't let what I actually did write get in the way of your little tirade.

    - "Traditional "Unix" isn't dead but it's certainly on life support."



    > Unfortunately for Microsoft there are still a lot of serious computing
    > customers that use systems in ways that no Windows configuration can
    > cope with.


    Nice straw man. I don't recall anyone claiming that Windows is going to
    replace every server in the world. The claim was and still is that
    traditional Unix is on life support. Given that in the past 10 years 2/3rds
    of the traditional Unix market has moved to Windows and Linux only a moron
    would think that traditional Unix isn't seriously ill.




    ** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **

  17. Re: Microsoft Still the 'Anti-Linux Company'

    On Thu, 22 May 2008 17:43:06 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    >> The machine that this message is being typed on once came with Vista.
    >> Ubuntu replaced Vista. If MS does not want to sell a decent OS like
    >> XP, and at a decent price then let them sink. MS over rates it's
    >> dominance in the world. Microsoft needs us, not the other way around.

    >
    > So why didn't you buy your machine from Tux Machines or Emperor Linux or
    > one of those outfits? My guess is not enough "value."


    Never heard of either one. And prefer commodity PCs. Value is part of
    it, but if it is a dud I don't have the S&H issues.

    >> Haven't used MS-Office at home for years, in fact converted some 3+
    >> years ago now. All the documents are ODF be they in XP or Linux. An
    >> open, standards compliant format. Why should I pay many hundreds of
    >> dollars for a OS specific Office tool like MS-Office? Node locked
    >> licenses, no portability makes MS-Office a over priced PoC and a PITA
    >> to use.
    >>
    >> Even at work, I use Open Office. Just that I save it as W2000/XP Word
    >> doc for my cohorts that still use only MS-Office.

    >
    > Those cohorts using MS-Office is most likely the overwhelming majority
    > of the office.


    Actually, my group, I don't need to worry about sending ODF files. They
    are all using Open Office and MS-Office. Likely because the company paid
    for the MS one. But at home, we all use OO. But you are right, most are
    using Office 2003. But I know the CIO/CEO are not going to spring for
    the costs of Office 2007 or Vista, not in this economic climate.

    >> Will be in the market for a new laptop this fall. Apple is on the top
    >> of the list as I know it will work with my storage array and other
    >> devices. I will never buy a Vista PC again, or in at least until MS
    >> fixes it real.

    >
    > I just got a new laptop recently. I got the version with XP not Vista.


    Good move. Must be a Dell business model.

    > The laptop has one of those "fingerprint readers" on it. (Fingerprint
    > readers are very common and will probably become a standard feature
    > soon.) The fingerprint reader doesn't work with linux. Not in a way that
    > doesn't require an hour or two worth of work at the command line that
    > is. I started a thread here about 2-3 weeks ago right after I got the
    > laptop.


    I am going to feed you the same line MVPs give to XP users. You bought a
    PC without checking that the hardware will work and now it is Linux/XPs
    fault? (In your case, Linux).?

    >> Unbuntu is blinding fast on a Q6600 with 8GB of RAM....Compiz, nice.
    >>
    >> So did you view the headers?

    >
    > So did you view mine??


    Headers, no need to.

  18. Re: Microsoft Still the 'Anti-Linux Company'

    In article <#5MhZ2FvIHA.1240@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl>,
    John Spence wrote:
    >>

    >Lexmark printer. Lexmark says that they will not support a Z1300. What


    Lexmark refuses to release public domain drivers for linux.


  19. Re: Microsoft Still the 'Anti-Linux Company'

    On Thu, 22 May 2008 16:00:44 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:

    > On 2008-05-22, Moshe. Goldfarb wrote:
    >> On Thu, 22 May 2008 15:41:33 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Canuck57" wrote in message
    >>> news:4UjZj.156638$rd2.88768@pd7urf3no...
    >>>>
    >>>> "Moshe. Goldfarb" wrote in message
    >>>> news:8antdqnkz8yh$.14rueroi0swi8.dlg@40tude.net...
    >>>>> On Thu, 22 May 2008 08:42:33 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:

    > [deletia]
    >> You beat me to it.
    >>
    >> Also add the fact that Redhat stopped making consumer desktop Linux because
    >> their is no market for it.
    >>
    >> The OLPC is going Windows because the installed Linux has hamstrung the
    >> unit to the point that they can't give it away.
    >> Windows is saving the unit.

    >
    > This is of course silly. By the foundations own admission there shouldn't
    > be any functional improvement provided by Windows. That would rather defeat
    > the point of the unit.


    Nice try.
    Functional improvement means nothing when you can't sell the box which is
    why they are moving to Windows from Linux.


    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  20. Re: Microsoft Still the 'Anti-Linux Company'

    On 2008-05-23, Moshe. Goldfarb wrote:
    > On Thu, 22 May 2008 16:00:44 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:
    >
    >> On 2008-05-22, Moshe. Goldfarb wrote:
    >>> On Thu, 22 May 2008 15:41:33 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> "Canuck57" wrote in message
    >>>> news:4UjZj.156638$rd2.88768@pd7urf3no...
    >>>>>
    >>>>> "Moshe. Goldfarb" wrote in message
    >>>>> news:8antdqnkz8yh$.14rueroi0swi8.dlg@40tude.net...
    >>>>>> On Thu, 22 May 2008 08:42:33 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:

    >> [deletia]
    >>> You beat me to it.
    >>>
    >>> Also add the fact that Redhat stopped making consumer desktop Linux because
    >>> their is no market for it.
    >>>
    >>> The OLPC is going Windows because the installed Linux has hamstrung the
    >>> unit to the point that they can't give it away.
    >>> Windows is saving the unit.

    >>
    >> This is of course silly. By the foundations own admission there shouldn't
    >> be any functional improvement provided by Windows. That would rather defeat
    >> the point of the unit.

    >
    > Nice try.
    > Functional improvement means nothing when you can't sell the box which is
    > why they are moving to Windows from Linux.


    ....except this isn't a commercial venture.

    They point isn't to "sell it".

    Besides, it is a Linux based variant of this sort of idea that is getting all
    of the "sales" right now anyways.

    --
    Sophocles wants his cut. |||
    / | \

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast