[News] Pioneer Linux (Kubuntu-based) 3.0 Released, Vista-like Linux Unveiled - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Pioneer Linux (Kubuntu-based) 3.0 Released, Vista-like Linux Unveiled - Linux ; No news in the Web site yet... http://www.tapioneer.com/ Forget vista! Get Vixta. ,----[ Quote ] | "Vixta.org is a Fedora-based Linux distribution designed to be user-friendly | and eye-catching, similar in look and feel to Windows Vista. Trying to bring ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: [News] Pioneer Linux (Kubuntu-based) 3.0 Released, Vista-like Linux Unveiled

  1. [News] Pioneer Linux (Kubuntu-based) 3.0 Released, Vista-like Linux Unveiled

    No news in the Web site yet... http://www.tapioneer.com/

    Forget vista! Get Vixta.

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "Vixta.org is a Fedora-based Linux distribution designed to be user-friendly
    | and eye-catching, similar in look and feel to Windows Vista. Trying to bring
    | linux to the "masses", not just sysadmins".
    `----

    http://gurupedia.blogspot.com/2007/0...get-vixta.html

    Many screenshots on the page. It looks like Vista,

  2. Re: [News] Pioneer Linux (Kubuntu-based) 3.0 Released, Vista-like Linux Unveiled

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz

    wrote
    on Tue, 25 Sep 2007 20:38:56 +0100
    <1206814.RMujrRaSjI@schestowitz.com>:
    > No news in the Web site yet... http://www.tapioneer.com/
    >
    > Forget vista! Get Vixta.
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | "Vixta.org is a Fedora-based Linux distribution designed to be user-friendly
    > | and eye-catching, similar in look and feel to Windows Vista. Trying to bring
    > | linux to the "masses", not just sysadmins".
    > `----
    >
    > http://gurupedia.blogspot.com/2007/0...get-vixta.html
    >
    > Many screenshots on the page. It looks like Vista,


    Hmm...I seem to recall a bit of a fracas regarding Lindows.
    Wonder what Microsoft will do *this* time...and if Vixta
    will have more backbone than Linspire did.

    The screenshots are slightly pointless, mostly because
    the background dominates (it is a pretty background,
    to be sure, especially if one likes green plants with
    blue flowers). However, it's clear that the basics are
    there; if one absolutely loves that searchable menu (I'm
    not thrilled with it) Vixta has it, along with a clock and
    a slightly buggy calendar (the highlighting of the "17"
    and the "21" is a little off -- compared to Vista's bug
    reports, that's extremely minor, but it *is* noticeable).
    The KDE logo is clearly visible. Compatibility with
    Windows applications remains a question mark -- but then,
    Vista has a far bigger question mark in that area. At least
    with Wine, Cedega, and Crossover Office available, one has
    a fighting chance.

    Could use a little more meat...but once Vixta is out there,
    one could put up screenshots from KOffice or OpenOffice at
    www.vixta.org easily enough. The website is showing some
    signs of strain; apparently the distro is quite popular.

    --
    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C++ Programming Idea #889123:
    std::vector<...> v; for(int i = 0; i < v.size(); i++) v.erase(v.begin() + i);

    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com


  3. Re: [News] Pioneer Linux (Kubuntu-based) 3.0 Released, Vista-like Linux Unveiled

    ____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Wednesday 26 September 2007 00:51 : \____

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
    >
    > wrote
    > on Tue, 25 Sep 2007 20:38:56 +0100
    > <1206814.RMujrRaSjI@schestowitz.com>:
    >> No news in the Web site yet... http://www.tapioneer.com/
    >>
    >> Forget vista! Get Vixta.
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | "Vixta.org is a Fedora-based Linux distribution designed to be
    >> | user-friendly and eye-catching, similar in look and feel to Windows Vista.
    >> | Trying to bring linux to the "masses", not just sysadmins".
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://gurupedia.blogspot.com/2007/0...get-vixta.html
    >>
    >> Many screenshots on the page. It looks like Vista,

    >
    > Hmm...I seem to recall a bit of a fracas regarding Lindows.
    > Wonder what Microsoft will do *this* time...and if Vixta
    > will have more backbone than Linspire did.
    >
    > The screenshots are slightly pointless, mostly because
    > the background dominates (it is a pretty background,
    > to be sure, especially if one likes green plants with
    > blue flowers). However, it's clear that the basics are
    > there; if one absolutely loves that searchable menu (I'm
    > not thrilled with it) Vixta has it, along with a clock and
    > a slightly buggy calendar (the highlighting of the "17"
    > and the "21" is a little off -- compared to Vista's bug
    > reports, that's extremely minor, but it *is* noticeable).
    > The KDE logo is clearly visible. Compatibility with
    > Windows applications remains a question mark -- but then,
    > Vista has a far bigger question mark in that area. At least
    > with Wine, Cedega, and Crossover Office available, one has
    > a fighting chance.
    >
    > Could use a little more meat...but once Vixta is out there,
    > one could put up screenshots from KOffice or OpenOffice at
    > www.vixta.org easily enough. The website is showing some
    > signs of strain; apparently the distro is quite popular.


    I think it's a bit different from Linspire because Linspire had a wealthy
    founder and an actual company behind it. By the way, Freespire 2.0.4 (IIRC)
    was released a few days ago, but I no longer post much Linspire and Xandros
    news here. They are traitors (the software equiv. of treason) and they will
    gradually run out of business. Microsoft paid them many millions to choose
    this route.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Ping this IP, see if it collapses" --Windows TCP
    http://Schestowitz.com | RHAT GNU/Linux | PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
    run-level 2 2007-09-10 01:53 last=
    http://iuron.com - help build a non-profit search engine

  4. Re: [News] Pioneer Linux (Kubuntu-based) 3.0 Released, Vista-like Linux Unveiled

    On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 05:50:59 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > I think it's a bit different from Linspire because Linspire had a wealthy
    > founder and an actual company behind it. By the way, Freespire 2.0.4 (IIRC)
    > was released a few days ago, but I no longer post much Linspire and Xandros
    > news here. They are traitors (the software equiv. of treason) and they will
    > gradually run out of business. Microsoft paid them many millions to choose
    > this route.


    So, all the hard working developers and satisfied users of Linspire and
    XandrOS are traitors, are they? Nice language. I'm sure they'll be
    overjoyed to hear that.

    --
    Kier


  5. Re: [News] Pioneer Linux (Kubuntu-based) 3.0 Released, Vista-like Linux Unveiled

    Kier wrote:

    > On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 05:50:59 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> I think it's a bit different from Linspire because Linspire had a wealthy
    >> founder and an actual company behind it. By the way, Freespire 2.0.4
    >> (IIRC) was released a few days ago, but I no longer post much Linspire
    >> and Xandros news here. They are traitors (the software equiv. of treason)
    >> and they will gradually run out of business. Microsoft paid them many
    >> millions to choose this route.

    >
    > So, all the hard working developers and satisfied users of Linspire and
    > XandrOS are traitors, are they? Nice language. I'm sure they'll be
    > overjoyed to hear that.
    >


    Well, they don't listen to the GPL3 god.

    --
    We are Borg. Resistance is futile (Borg Gates)


  6. Re: [News] Pioneer Linux (Kubuntu-based) 3.0 Released, Vista-like Linux Unveiled

    On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 10:38:06 +0200, Peter KŲhlmann wrote:

    > Kier wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 05:50:59 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> I think it's a bit different from Linspire because Linspire had a wealthy
    >>> founder and an actual company behind it. By the way, Freespire 2.0.4
    >>> (IIRC) was released a few days ago, but I no longer post much Linspire
    >>> and Xandros news here. They are traitors (the software equiv. of treason)
    >>> and they will gradually run out of business. Microsoft paid them many
    >>> millions to choose this route.

    >>
    >> So, all the hard working developers and satisfied users of Linspire and
    >> XandrOS are traitors, are they? Nice language. I'm sure they'll be
    >> overjoyed to hear that.
    >>

    >
    > Well, they don't listen to the GPL3 god.


    They don't seem to be going out of business, either.

    XandrOS is Debian-based, I believe. I tried it once, it was okay, but by
    that time I had a fair bit of Linux experience, and it was obviously
    designed for people wanting an immediate drop-in replacement for Windows,
    so its target market didn't really include me any more.

    --
    Kier

  7. Re: [News] Pioneer Linux (Kubuntu-based) 3.0 Released, Vista-like Linux Unveiled

    Kier wrote:

    > On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 10:38:06 +0200, Peter Köhlmann wrote:
    >
    >> Kier wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 05:50:59 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> I think it's a bit different from Linspire because Linspire had a
    >>>> wealthy founder and an actual company behind it. By the way, Freespire
    >>>> 2.0.4 (IIRC) was released a few days ago, but I no longer post much
    >>>> Linspire and Xandros news here. They are traitors (the software equiv.
    >>>> of treason) and they will gradually run out of business. Microsoft paid
    >>>> them many millions to choose this route.
    >>>
    >>> So, all the hard working developers and satisfied users of Linspire and
    >>> XandrOS are traitors, are they? Nice language. I'm sure they'll be
    >>> overjoyed to hear that.
    >>>

    >>
    >> Well, they don't listen to the GPL3 god.

    >
    > They don't seem to be going out of business, either.


    I shure hope so. Diversity is an asset for linux, not a liability
    As much as the GPL3 cultists want to make believe that only their god is the
    right one, and any other thinking is the direct way to MS-hell

    > XandrOS is Debian-based, I believe. I tried it once, it was okay, but by
    > that time I had a fair bit of Linux experience, and it was obviously
    > designed for people wanting an immediate drop-in replacement for Windows,
    > so its target market didn't really include me any more.
    >


    --
    I doubt, therefore I might be.


  8. Re: [News] Pioneer Linux (Kubuntu-based) 3.0 Released, Vista-like Linux Unveiled

    ____/ Peter KŲhlmann on Wednesday 26 September 2007 10:23 : \____

    > Kier wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 10:38:06 +0200, Peter KŲhlmann wrote:
    >>
    >>> Kier wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 05:50:59 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> I think it's a bit different from Linspire because Linspire had a
    >>>>> wealthy founder and an actual company behind it. By the way, Freespire
    >>>>> 2.0.4 (IIRC) was released a few days ago, but I no longer post much
    >>>>> Linspire and Xandros news here. They are traitors (the software equiv.
    >>>>> of treason) and they will gradually run out of business. Microsoft paid
    >>>>> them many millions to choose this route.
    >>>>
    >>>> So, all the hard working developers and satisfied users of Linspire and
    >>>> XandrOS are traitors, are they? Nice language. I'm sure they'll be
    >>>> overjoyed to hear that.
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>> Well, they don't listen to the GPL3 god.

    >>
    >> They don't seem to be going out of business, either.

    >
    > I shure hope so. Diversity is an asset for linux, not a liability
    > As much as the GPL3 cultists want to make believe that only their god is the
    > right one, and any other thinking is the direct way to MS-hell


    What does GPLv3 have to do with this? You've transformed this debate into
    something which it is not.

    >> XandrOS is Debian-based, I believe. I tried it once, it was okay, but by
    >> that time I had a fair bit of Linux experience, and it was obviously
    >> designed for people wanting an immediate drop-in replacement for Windows,
    >> so its target market didn't really include me any more.


    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | $> apt-get -not windows
    http://Schestowitz.com | Open Prospects | PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
    Tasks: 145 total, 1 running, 144 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie
    http://iuron.com - knowledge engine, not a search engine

  9. Re: [News] Pioneer Linux (Kubuntu-based) 3.0 Released, Vista-like Linux Unveiled

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ Peter Köhlmann on Wednesday 26 September 2007 10:23 : \____
    >
    >> Kier wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 10:38:06 +0200, Peter Köhlmann wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Kier wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 05:50:59 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> I think it's a bit different from Linspire because Linspire had a
    >>>>>> wealthy founder and an actual company behind it. By the way,
    >>>>>> Freespire 2.0.4 (IIRC) was released a few days ago, but I no longer
    >>>>>> post much Linspire and Xandros news here. They are traitors (the
    >>>>>> software equiv. of treason) and they will gradually run out of
    >>>>>> business. Microsoft paid them many millions to choose this route.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> So, all the hard working developers and satisfied users of Linspire
    >>>>> and XandrOS are traitors, are they? Nice language. I'm sure they'll be
    >>>>> overjoyed to hear that.
    >>>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> Well, they don't listen to the GPL3 god.
    >>>
    >>> They don't seem to be going out of business, either.

    >>
    >> I shure hope so. Diversity is an asset for linux, not a liability
    >> As much as the GPL3 cultists want to make believe that only their god is
    >> the right one, and any other thinking is the direct way to MS-hell

    >
    > What does GPLv3 have to do with this? You've transformed this debate into
    > something which it is not.


    /quote
    They are traitors (the software equiv. of treason) and they will gradually
    run out of business. Microsoft paid them many millions to choose this
    route.
    /unquote

    Do you recognize your own words?

    You are one of those GPL3 cultists who thinks that Novell, Linspire and
    Xandros are evil for the sole reason that they are actually talking and
    doing business with MS

    Excuse me for thinking that you guys are simply quite silly


    "software equiv. of treason"

    If you attempted to sound as idiotic as DFS, billwg or Hadron, you succeeded
    quite well

    < snip >
    --
    Tact, n.:
    The unsaid part of what you're thinking.


  10. Re: [News] Pioneer Linux (Kubuntu-based) 3.0 Released, Vista-like Linux Unveiled

    ____/ Peter Köhlmann on Wednesday 26 September 2007 13:52 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> ____/ Peter Köhlmann on Wednesday 26 September 2007 10:23 : \____
    >>
    >>> Kier wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 10:38:06 +0200, Peter Köhlmann wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> Kier wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 05:50:59 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>> I think it's a bit different from Linspire because Linspire had a
    >>>>>>> wealthy founder and an actual company behind it. By the way,
    >>>>>>> Freespire 2.0.4 (IIRC) was released a few days ago, but I no longer
    >>>>>>> post much Linspire and Xandros news here. They are traitors (the
    >>>>>>> software equiv. of treason) and they will gradually run out of
    >>>>>>> business. Microsoft paid them many millions to choose this route.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> So, all the hard working developers and satisfied users of Linspire
    >>>>>> and XandrOS are traitors, are they? Nice language. I'm sure they'll be
    >>>>>> overjoyed to hear that.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Well, they don't listen to the GPL3 god.
    >>>>
    >>>> They don't seem to be going out of business, either.
    >>>
    >>> I shure hope so. Diversity is an asset for linux, not a liability
    >>> As much as the GPL3 cultists want to make believe that only their god is
    >>> the right one, and any other thinking is the direct way to MS-hell

    >>
    >> What does GPLv3 have to do with this? You've transformed this debate into
    >> something which it is not.

    >
    > /quote
    > They are traitors (the software equiv. of treason) and they will gradually
    > run out of business. Microsoft paid them many millions to choose this
    > route.
    > /unquote
    >
    > Do you recognize your own words?
    >
    > You are one of those GPL3 cultists who thinks that Novell, Linspire and
    > Xandros are evil for the sole reason that they are actually talking and
    > doing business with MS
    >
    > Excuse me for thinking that you guys are simply quite silly
    >
    >
    > "software equiv. of treason"
    >
    > If you attempted to sound as idiotic as DFS, billwg or Hadron, you succeeded
    > quite well
    >
    > < snip >


    Strongg word, but to use a better analogy, they spat in the well we all drink
    from.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Beware the Windows box spewage (more commonly known as "spam")
    http://Schestowitz.com | Free as in Free Beer | PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
    Cpu(s): 27.1%us, 4.9%sy, 1.0%ni, 61.9%id, 4.5%wa, 0.3%hi, 0.2%si, 0.0%st
    http://iuron.com - semantic engine to gather information

  11. Re: [News] Pioneer Linux (Kubuntu-based) 3.0 Released, Vista-like Linux Unveiled

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ Peter Köhlmann on Wednesday 26 September 2007 13:52 : \____
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> ____/ Peter Köhlmann on Wednesday 26 September 2007 10:23 : \____
    >>>
    >>>> Kier wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 10:38:06 +0200, Peter Köhlmann wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> Kier wrote:
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>> On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 05:50:59 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>> I think it's a bit different from Linspire because Linspire had a
    >>>>>>>> wealthy founder and an actual company behind it. By the way,
    >>>>>>>> Freespire 2.0.4 (IIRC) was released a few days ago, but I no longer
    >>>>>>>> post much Linspire and Xandros news here. They are traitors (the
    >>>>>>>> software equiv. of treason) and they will gradually run out of
    >>>>>>>> business. Microsoft paid them many millions to choose this route.
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>> So, all the hard working developers and satisfied users of Linspire
    >>>>>>> and XandrOS are traitors, are they? Nice language. I'm sure they'll
    >>>>>>> be overjoyed to hear that.
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> Well, they don't listen to the GPL3 god.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> They don't seem to be going out of business, either.
    >>>>
    >>>> I shure hope so. Diversity is an asset for linux, not a liability
    >>>> As much as the GPL3 cultists want to make believe that only their god
    >>>> is the right one, and any other thinking is the direct way to MS-hell
    >>>
    >>> What does GPLv3 have to do with this? You've transformed this debate
    >>> into something which it is not.

    >>
    >> /quote
    >> They are traitors (the software equiv. of treason) and they will
    >> gradually run out of business. Microsoft paid them many millions to
    >> choose this route.
    >> /unquote
    >>
    >> Do you recognize your own words?
    >>
    >> You are one of those GPL3 cultists who thinks that Novell, Linspire and
    >> Xandros are evil for the sole reason that they are actually talking and
    >> doing business with MS
    >>
    >> Excuse me for thinking that you guys are simply quite silly
    >>
    >>
    >> "software equiv. of treason"
    >>
    >> If you attempted to sound as idiotic as DFS, billwg or Hadron, you
    >> succeeded quite well
    >>
    >> < snip >

    >
    > Strongg word, but to use a better analogy, they spat in the well we all
    > drink from.
    >


    So you say
    And I say that diversity is better. Different approaches to linux, for
    different kinds of users. You know, that "choice" thingy

    You are arguing the Hadron Quark way, only *your* "approved" choices are OK.
    The choices of other people don't count. Naturally not, as they are not
    yours
    --
    Individualists unite!


  12. Re: [News] Pioneer Linux (Kubuntu-based) 3.0 Released, Vista-like Linux Unveiled

    ____/ Peter Köhlmann on Wednesday 26 September 2007 20:00 : \____

    > And I think you are
    > totally nuts.


    Thanks for being a gentleman about it.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Linux + tax = Mac OS = (Windows - functionality)
    http://Schestowitz.com | GNU/Linux | PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
    Mem: 515500k total, 446496k used, 69004k free, 2088k buffers
    http://iuron.com - next generation of search paradigms

+ Reply to Thread