3D Desktop (Desktop Effect) - Linux

This is a discussion on 3D Desktop (Desktop Effect) - Linux ; Dear all, I'm one of the millions people in the world who have been impressed by Linux's awesome user interface or desktop effects. It really is a better UI system than Mac or Vista. I'm here to ask a question. ...

  1. 3D Desktop (Desktop Effect)

    Dear all,

    I'm one of the millions people in the world who have been impressed by
    Linux's awesome user interface or desktop effects. It really is a
    better UI system than Mac or Vista. I'm here to ask a question. Where
    can I access the source code of the desktop effect? or where do I need
    to start from in order to study Linux's user interface system or X
    Window?

    Any advice will be much appreciated.

    regards,

  2. Re: 3D Desktop (Desktop Effect)

    ____/ Alexander Dong Back Kim on Tuesday 25 September 2007 20:42 : \____

    > Dear all,
    >
    > I'm one of the millions people in the world who have been impressed by
    > Linux's awesome user interface or desktop effects. It really is a
    > better UI system than Mac or Vista. I'm here to ask a question. Where
    > can I access the source code of the desktop effect? or where do I need
    > to start from in order to study Linux's user interface system or X
    > Window?
    >
    > Any advice will be much appreciated.
    >
    > regards,

    Hi,

    Have a look here: http://www.beryl-project.org/develop.php

    You can fetch all the code using SVN.

    They also provide an example C file of a plugin, so you can easily create your
    own new effects and contribute to the project. All you need to do is study the
    code, hack on it, write some more, and test it on your PC.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | It is no longer uncommon to be uncommon
    Tasks: 136 total, 1 running, 135 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie

  3. Re: 3D Desktop (Desktop Effect)

    Alexander Dong Back Kim did eloquently scribble:

    X is at x.org

    beryl, compiz and compiz fusion (a merging of he previous two projects) are
    googlable quite easily. as are kde/gnome/blackbox and all the other
    windowmangers.

    | in |good to you so far... |

  4. Re: 3D Desktop (Desktop Effect)

    Verily I say unto thee, that Alexander Dong Back Kim spake thusly:

    > I'm one of the millions people in the world who have been impressed
    > by Linux's awesome user interface or desktop effects. It really is a
    > better UI system than Mac or Vista.

    Yes.

    It's less resource intensive, more flexible, more functional, doesn't
    cost hundreds, and is Free to modify and redistribute.

    http://compiz.org/Home/Download#Source_Packages

    > where do I need to start from in order to study Linux's user
    > interface system or X Window?

    http://www.gtk.org/
    http://forum.compiz-fusion.org/
    http://trolltech.com/products/qt/
    http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/X_Windows_Programming
    http://xorg.freedesktop.org/releases...0/doc/xlib.txt
    http://www.x.org/wiki/Development?ac...=DevelopersFAQ

    And ...

    http://tinyurl.com/yoz9gq (Amazon)

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | "OOXML is a superb standard"
    | - GNU/Linux traitor, Miguel de Icaza.
    `----

    01:47:54 up 48 days, 42 min, 2 users, load average: 0.19, 0.56, 0.55

  5. Re: 3D Desktop (Desktop Effect)

    On Sep 26, 10:49 am, "[H]omer" wrote:
    > Verily I say unto thee, that Alexander Dong Back Kim spake thusly:
    >
    > > I'm one of the millions people in the world who have been impressed
    > > byLinux'sawesome user interface ordesktopeffects. It really is a
    > > better UI system than Mac or Vista.

    > Yes.
    >
    > It's less resource intensive, more flexible, more functional, doesn't
    > cost hundreds, and is Free to modify and redistribute.
    >
    > > Where can I access the source code of thedesktopeffect?

    > http://compiz.org/Home/Download#Source_Packages
    >
    > > where do I need to start from in order to studyLinux'suser
    > > interface system or X Window?

    > http://www.gtk.org/http://forum.comp...=DevelopersFAQ
    >
    > And ...
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/yoz9gq(Amazon)
    >
    > --
    > K.http://slated.org
    >
    > .----
    > | "OOXML is a superb standard"
    > | - GNU/Linuxtraitor, Miguel de Icaza.
    > `----
    >
    > Fedora release 7 (Moonshine) on sky, running kernel 2.6.22.1-41.fc7
    > 01:47:54 up 48 days, 42 min, 2 users, load average: 0.19, 0.56, 0.55

    Great! Thanks for the link =) I really appreciate your information!

    Cheers,

+ Reply to Thread