Trying out Kubuntu, again - Linux

This is a discussion on Trying out Kubuntu, again - Linux ; On Tue, 20 May 2008 16:05:10 +0100, Cork Soaker wrote: >> I did try bittorrent. Is was dog slow too. I also tried several >> servers. All slow. The Linux way - blame the user. > > Bittorrent is anything ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 44 of 44

  1. Re: Trying out Kubuntu, again

    On Tue, 20 May 2008 16:05:10 +0100, Cork Soaker wrote:

    >> I did try bittorrent. Is was dog slow too. I also tried several
    >> servers. All slow. The Linux way - blame the user.

    > Bittorrent is anything but slow, you clearly are to be blamed here - you
    > can't even use Bittorrent correctly!

    Not entirely true. I've had BT *crawl*, taking days to download things
    which you'd expect to be done in an hour or two.

    What you find, though, is that these cases are generally things which
    have just been released, thus aren't widely available via BT. So the
    latest Ubuntu DVD, for example, might easily take days, until there's
    enough users to start pumping bandwidth.

  2. Re: Trying out Kubuntu, again

    Moshe. Goldfarb wrote:
    > On Thu, 22 May 2008 11:08:50 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >
    >> * Gregory Shearman peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> Is that you, DFS?

    >> DFS, Rich, Ian Semmel, OK, Zeke, and Moshe barely share one whole
    >> brain between them.

    >> As compared to Linonut, HPT, Homer, Willy Poaster and Mark Kent who

    > all share Roy Schestowitz's rectum.
    > With their heads of course.
    > The large one.
    > In fact I believe LIARnut has managed to get his shoulders in there as
    > well.

    But he leaves his belly exposed 'cause he knows Roy likes to pet his lapdog.

  3. Re: Trying out Kubuntu, again

    On Thu, 22 May 2008 21:45:02 GMT, Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:

    > On Tue, 20 May 2008 16:05:10 +0100, Cork Soaker wrote:
    >
    >>> I did try bittorrent. Is was dog slow too. I also tried several
    >>> servers. All slow. The Linux way - blame the user.

    >> Bittorrent is anything but slow, you clearly are to be blamed here - you
    >> can't even use Bittorrent correctly!

    > Not entirely true. I've had BT *crawl*, taking days to download things
    > which you'd expect to be done in an hour or two.
    >
    > What you find, though, is that these cases are generally things which
    > have just been released, thus aren't widely available via BT. So the
    > latest Ubuntu DVD, for example, might easily take days, until there's
    > enough users to start pumping bandwidth.

    I agree with Kelsey.
    I have had BT crawl many times.
    It all depends upon what you are downloading and how popular it is along
    with network traffic.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  4. Re: Trying out Kubuntu, again

    On Thu, 22 May 2008 22:14:16 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Moshe. Goldfarb wrote:
    >> On Thu, 22 May 2008 11:08:50 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >>
    >>> * Gregory Shearman peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> DFS, Rich, Ian Semmel, OK, Zeke, and Moshe barely share one whole
    >>> brain between them.

    >>> As compared to Linonut, HPT, Homer, Willy Poaster and Mark Kent who

    >> all share Roy Schestowitz's rectum.
    >> With their heads of course.
    >> The large one.
    >> In fact I believe LIARnut has managed to get his shoulders in there as
    >> well.

    > But he leaves his belly exposed 'cause he knows Roy likes to pet his lapdog.

    Hahaha!