"I just upgraded from release 8 to release 9 and my desktop basically does
not work. By this I mean that:

* The task bars only show up occasionally. (Doesn't matter if root or
regular user.) When they are not there, all I have is a background. I have
to ctl-alt-backspace to get anywhere.

* There are no icons on the desktop.

* If I try to start Firefox or Thunderbird, I can see CPU usage jump for a
few seconds and then it drops back to nothing and no window appears. If I
click the same icon again, I get a blank error window and CPU spikes and the
system freezes. "

Linux just works!

Mark S. Bilk: "The vast majority of Linux users _never_ experience such
problems."