[News] Ubuntu 8.04 Gets 8 Out of 10, Fedora a Strong Challenger - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Ubuntu 8.04 Gets 8 Out of 10, Fedora a Strong Challenger - Linux ; Ubuntu - 8.04 (Review) ,----[ Quote ] | Having used Ubuntu 8.04 since the early alpha testing period, I can say that | I find Ubuntu 8.04 to be one of the more (if not the most) polished and ready ...

  1. [News] Ubuntu 8.04 Gets 8 Out of 10, Fedora a Strong Challenger

    Ubuntu - 8.04 (Review)

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Having used Ubuntu 8.04 since the early alpha testing period, I can say that
    | I find Ubuntu 8.04 to be one of the more (if not the most) polished and ready
    | for widespread use Linux operating systems made to date. I would have
    | appreciated if Ubuntu included utilities to control PulseAudio and Compiz by
    | default, but installing those apps were easy enough via Synaptic or apt-get.
    | With Ubuntu 8.04 you get the familiar ease of use found within Ubuntu, a
    | wealth of open source applications ready to install from Ubuntu’s
    | repositories and on top of that the extra stability that seems built into
    | 8.04 LTS. Its amazing how fast and far Ubuntu has progressed in such a short
    | period of time.
    `----

    http://techpark6.com/ubuntu-804-review.html

    Hands on: The changing face of Fedora

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Ubuntu may be the most popular desktop distribution, but Fedora support is
    | strong
    `----

    http://www.whatpc.co.uk/personal-com...ng-face-fedora

    Recent:

    Distro Review: Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron LTS

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | So, better late than never here are my thoughts on Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron.
    | It's been about 3 weeks since the release now and I've been running Hardy on
    | my Dell XPS m1330n notebook without much trouble. I thought it was about time
    | I knuckled down and wrote about my experiences with the Heron. I found Gutsy
    | to be a bit buggy initially and I was slightly disappointed, with it's LTS
    | (Long Term Support) tag, how would Hardy perform? Let's find out...
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Conclusions:
    | Ease Of Installation & Use: 4/5
    | Stability: 4/5
    | Community & Documentation: 5/5
    | Features: 3/5
    | Overall: 4/5
    `----

    http://adventuresinopensource.blogsp...rdy-heron.html

    LTS: The Long Term (Ubuntu) Solution

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Ubuntu 8.04 is the long term solution for Linux. People will, at some point,
    | look to alternatives for their software as the older versions become outdated
    | and unsupported. At the moment, most average users contemplate a switch to
    | either Mac, Vista, or this thing called “Linux.”
    `----

    http://www.workswithu.com/2008/05/15...untu-solution/

    Related:

    French police deal blow to Microsoft

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The French paramilitary police force said Wednesday it is ditching Microsoft
    | for the free Linux operating system, becoming one of the biggest
    | administrations in the world to make the break.
    `----

    http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5...LZ3IeRaIH03x6w

  2. Re: [News] Ubuntu 8.04 Gets 8 Out of 10, Fedora a Strong Challenger

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > Ubuntu - 8.04 (Review)
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >> Having used Ubuntu 8.04 since the early alpha testing period, I can
    >> say that I find Ubuntu 8.04 to be one of the more (if not the most)
    >> polished and ready for widespread use Linux operating systems made
    >> to date.

    "Hardy is BY FAR the worst Ubuntu version yet. LOCKUP WARNING!!!
    "Some users, myself included, are experiencing random total lockups."
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/204996

    "upgraded my laptop (Dell Latitude C400 -1.2ghz PIII M, 512M RAM GMA830) to
    Hardy and am now experiencing the oh-so-fun arbitrary lockups as well."
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=768200&page=4

    How well does the challenger do? Not bad, considering it hasn't been out
    long either:

    Victim 1: "Fedora 9 The install freezes on the select your keyboard screen.
    I click next and then nothing happens. I have downloaded and burned 3
    different ISO's from 3 dirrerent sites on 3 different machines, and the same
    thing happens."

    Victim 2: "I have the same issue..."
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/...Fedora+freezes

    "This list is too long for Bugzilla's little mind; the Next/Prev/First/Last
    buttons won't appear on individual bugs.
    3582 bugs found."

    Fedora 9: new, assigned, needinfo and modified bugs
    http://tinyurl.com/4p32qc

  3. Re: [News] Ubuntu 8.04 Gets 8 Out of 10, Fedora a Strong Challenger

    On Mon, 19 May 2008 22:22:58 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> Ubuntu - 8.04 (Review)
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> Having used Ubuntu 8.04 since the early alpha testing period, I can
    >>> say that I find Ubuntu 8.04 to be one of the more (if not the most)
    >>> polished and ready for widespread use Linux operating systems made
    >>> to date.

    > "Hardy is BY FAR the worst Ubuntu version yet. LOCKUP WARNING!!!
    > "Some users, myself included, are experiencing random total lockups."
    > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/204996
    >

    > "upgraded my laptop (Dell Latitude C400 -1.2ghz PIII M, 512M RAM GMA830) to
    > Hardy and am now experiencing the oh-so-fun arbitrary lockups as well."
    > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=768200&page=4
    >

    > How well does the challenger do? Not bad, considering it hasn't been out
    > long either:
    >
    > Victim 1: "Fedora 9 The install freezes on the select your keyboard screen.
    > I click next and then nothing happens. I have downloaded and burned 3
    > different ISO's from 3 dirrerent sites on 3 different machines, and the same
    > thing happens."
    >
    > Victim 2: "I have the same issue..."
    > http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/...Fedora+freezes
    >

    > "This list is too long for Bugzilla's little mind; the Next/Prev/First/Last
    > buttons won't appear on individual bugs.
    > 3582 bugs found."
    >
    > Fedora 9: new, assigned, needinfo and modified bugs
    > http://tinyurl.com/4p32qc

    Linux appears to be getting worse lately.
    For a while it was improving with each new release, but with all the
    problems Ubuntu and now Fedora 9 are having I have to wonder if the Linux
    loons are slipping a little.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  4. Re: [News] Ubuntu 8.04 Gets 8 Out of 10, Fedora a Strong Challenger

    On Mon, 19 May 2008 22:26:17 -0400, Moshe. Goldfarb wrote:

    > On Mon, 19 May 2008 22:22:58 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>> Ubuntu - 8.04 (Review)
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]

    >> "Hardy is BY FAR the worst Ubuntu version yet. LOCKUP WARNING!!! "Some
    >> users, myself included, are experiencing random total lockups."
    >> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/204996
    >>

    >> "upgraded my laptop (Dell Latitude C400 -1.2ghz PIII M, 512M RAM
    >> GMA830) to Hardy and am now experiencing the oh-so-fun arbitrary
    >> lockups as well."
    >> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=768200&page=4
    >>

    >> How well does the challenger do? Not bad, considering it hasn't been
    >> out long either:
    >>
    >> Victim 1: "Fedora 9 The install freezes on the select your keyboard
    >> screen. I click next and then nothing happens. I have downloaded and
    >> burned 3 different ISO's from 3 dirrerent sites on 3 different
    >> machines, and the same thing happens."
    >>
    >> Victim 2: "I have the same issue..."
    >> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?

    t=188326&highlight=Fedora+freezes

    >> "This list is too long for Bugzilla's little mind; the
    >> Next/Prev/First/Last buttons won't appear on individual bugs. 3582 bugs
    >> found."
    >>
    >> Fedora 9: new, assigned, needinfo and modified bugs
    >> http://tinyurl.com/4p32qc

    > Linux appears to be getting worse lately. For a while it was improving
    > with each new release, but with all the problems Ubuntu and now Fedora 9
    > are having I have to wonder if the Linux loons are slipping a little.

    ... as opposed to the bigot loons like you?

    --
    Rick

+ Reply to Thread