[News] [Rival] Eggs Thrown at Steve Ballmer in Public Talk (Brand-new Video) - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] [Rival] Eggs Thrown at Steve Ballmer in Public Talk (Brand-new Video) - Linux ; On Tue, 20 May 2008 13:48:09 -0700, The Ghost In The Machine wrote: > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Rick > > wrote > on Tue, 20 May 2008 03:04:29 -0400 > : >> Moshe. Goldfarb wrote: >>> On Tue, 20 May 2008 ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 40 of 40

  1. Re: [News] [Rival] Eggs Thrown at Steve Ballmer in Public Talk(Brand-new Video)

    On Tue, 20 May 2008 13:48:09 -0700, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Rick
    >
    > wrote
    > on Tue, 20 May 2008 03:04:29 -0400
    > :
    >> Moshe. Goldfarb wrote:

    >>> Why?
    >>> This is a DISCUSSION group, not a News service group.

    >> This is a Usenet newsgroup.

    > I'd have to find the charter, but Moshe's partly right; we should be
    > discussing things, not promulgating news, in an ideal world.
    > Nevertheless, Roy's stuff is tolerable, if only because I don't have to
    > worry about whether I'm going to be insulted every other sentence or
    > filter out bad words; he's reasonably polite, unlike some others here.
    > (You know who you are.)
    >
    > In any event, Usenet is a store-and-forward affair.

    From memory, the charter says the group's purpose is to compare Liux with
    other operating systems.

    >>> I get my news from RSS feeds and other places and I suspect other here
    >>> do the same.

    >> Some people get news through USenet.

    > Some people get pr0n through Usenet as well...though not in this
    > particular newsgroup, obviously. :-)

    Well.. some pr0n can be news :-)

    --
    Rick

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Eggs Thrown at Steve Ballmer in Public Talk(Brand-new Video)

    On Tue, 20 May 2008 17:18:13 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "Rick" wrote in message
    > news:PNSdnbhzLMbsvK7VnZ2dnUVZ_rXinZ2d@supernews.co m...
    >> Moshe. Goldfarb wrote:

    >>> Why?
    >>> This is a DISCUSSION group, not a News service group.

    >> This is a Usenet newsgroup.

    > Which is primarily intended for "discussion" - not spamming.

    So, stop spaming.

    >>> I get my news from RSS feeds and other places and I suspect other here
    >>> do the same.

    >> Some people get news through USenet.

    > And some people type with one finger. Because some people are stupid
    > doesn't mean that everyone should follow suit.

    Some get news through newsgroups. Buy a clue.

    >>> Roy Spams the group with off topic messaged and putting [Rival] in
    >>> front of
    >>> the message doesn't change a thing.
    >>>

    >> You lie and spread FUD.

    > Roy Schestowitz lies and spreads FUD.

    You lie and spread FUD. And you have a lousy news reader, too.

    --
    Rick

  3. Re: [News] [Rival] Eggs Thrown at Steve Ballmer in Public Talk (Brand-new Video)

    ____/ Homer on Wednesday 21 May 2008 00:26 : \____

    >> [New incident:]
    >>
    >> Steve Ballmer Gets the Egg-Treatment in Budapest
    >>
    >> http://youtube.com/watch?v=mtBQ4UCXQeo

    > Damn. He missed.
    >
    > Apparently he was protesting over something called "Titan", which is the
    > Vole's attempt to monopolise the Hungarian IT training sector:
    >
    > [quote]
    > Hungary had earlier in the day signed up to join Microsoft’s Titan IT
    > training program in Parliament. The total budget of Titan is Ft 10
    > billion and it will run until 2012.

    > Open SKM Agency and two other open source software (OSS) firms dispute
    > the terms of the state tender, underlining that OSS products can be
    > bought for 75% less than Microsoft’s price. The Public Procurement
    > Arbitration Court last week postponed Open SKM’s meeting on the tender,
    > which had been scheduled for yesterday.
    > [quote]
    >
    > http://www.realdeal.hu/20080520/micr...ent-egg-attack

    He shirt said it all. Microsoft = corruption.

    http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2007/...ap3957835.html

    "According to the statement, Microsoft used sales conditions and offered
    software distributors incentives - described as "loyalty discounts" - so
    they wouldn't offer clients anything but Microsoft Office products."

    "Such behavior could lead to the exclusion of competitive products from
    the market and violate European Union rules, according to the authority
    known as the GVH."

    There are mirrors covering this incident. Microsoft doesn't see this as
    corruption. As the OOXML scandals have taught the world, to Microsoft
    corruption is just a way of doing business. It's blind to its own crimes.

    - --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Reversi for free: http://othellomaster.com

  4. Re: [News] [Rival] Eggs Thrown at Steve Ballmer in Public Talk (Brand-new Video)

    ____/ William Poaster on Tuesday 20 May 2008 15:38 : \____

    > On Mon, 19 May 2008 23:31:28 -0500, RonB wrote:
    >
    >> Moshe. Goldfarb wrote:

    >>> No wonder it takes them 15 years to get out of college.

    >> Unlike WinTrolls, who use their time so productively spewing 24/7 on COLA.

    > "Moshe. Goldfarb"? I didn't see it, but it looks like Flatfish tried
    > nymshifting again..

    I just tossed the whole of motzarella.org. He nymshifted before.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Have you hugged your penguin today?
    Tasks: 172 total, 1 running, 171 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie

  5. Re: [News] [Rival] Eggs Thrown at Steve Ballmer in Public Talk (Brand-new Video)

    ____/ Homer on Wednesday 21 May 2008 00:26 : \____

    >> [New incident:]
    >>
    >> Steve Ballmer Gets the Egg-Treatment in Budapest
    >>
    >> http://youtube.com/watch?v=mtBQ4UCXQeo

    > Damn. He missed.
    >
    > Apparently he was protesting over something called "Titan", which is the
    > Vole's attempt to monopolise the Hungarian IT training sector:
    >
    > [quote]
    > Hungary had earlier in the day signed up to join Microsoft’s Titan IT
    > training program in Parliament. The total budget of Titan is Ft 10
    > billion and it will run until 2012.

    > Open SKM Agency and two other open source software (OSS) firms dispute
    > the terms of the state tender, underlining that OSS products can be
    > bought for 75% less than Microsoft’s price. The Public Procurement
    > Arbitration Court last week postponed Open SKM’s meeting on the tender,
    > which had been scheduled for yesterday.
    > [quote]
    >
    > http://www.realdeal.hu/20080520/micr...ent-egg-attack

    I've just realised that I left out the headline which shows that the incident
    of corruption occurred in Hungary. IOW, we know for a fact that Microsoft is
    breaking the law in Hungary, so the authorities crack down on Microsoft's
    offices.

    The whitewashing of Microsoft's corruptions is largely done by business
    partners and Munchkins. Some professor whom I know says that Microsoft is now
    using Ballmer as a strawman to absorb blame (good cop, bad cop) while
    improving Bill's imagery and separating "Microsoft" from Ballmer. To an extent
    this worked and this latest video buys even the devil some sympathy. The MBAs
    would love it.

    - --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Have you hugged your penguin today?
    Tasks: 172 total, 1 running, 171 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie

  6. Re: [News] [Rival] Eggs Thrown at Steve Ballmer in Public Talk (Brand-new Video)

    On Tue, 20 May 2008 20:10:08 -0500, Rick wrote:

    > On Tue, 20 May 2008 17:18:13 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >
    >> "Rick" wrote in message
    >> news:PNSdnbhzLMbsvK7VnZ2dnUVZ_rXinZ2d@supernews.co m...

    >>> This is a Usenet newsgroup.

    >> Which is primarily intended for "discussion" - not spamming.

    > So, stop spaming.

    And stop trolling too!

    >>> Some people get news through USenet.

    >> And some people type with one finger. Because some people are stupid
    >> doesn't mean that everyone should follow suit.

    > Some get news through newsgroups. Buy a clue.

    >>> You lie and spread FUD.

    >> Roy Schestowitz lies and spreads FUD.

    > You lie and spread FUD. And you have a lousy news reader, too.

    What is the troll using?

    --
    Mandriva 2008.1 64-bit.
    This message was sent from a

  7. Re: [News] [Rival] Eggs Thrown at Steve Ballmer in Public Talk (Brand-new Video)

    >> Moshe. Goldfarb wrote:
    >>>
    >>> This is a DISCUSSION group, not a News service group.

    It's also not a pathologically lying troll group, flat****. Yet here
    you are.

  8. Re: [News] [Rival] Eggs Thrown at Steve Ballmer in Public Talk (Brand-new Video)

    * chrisv peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > It's also not a pathologically lying troll group, flat****. Yet here
    > you are.

    These guys (flatty, dfs, and their like) need to go to alt.circle.jerk

    --
    The finest pieces of software are those where one individual has a complete
    sense of exactly how the program works. To have that, you have to really

  9. Re: [News] [Rival] Eggs Thrown at Steve Ballmer in Public Talk (Brand-new Video)

    On Wed, 21 May 2008 10:52:54 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > * chrisv peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >> It's also not a pathologically lying troll group, flat****. Yet here
    >> you are.

    > These guys (flatty, dfs, and their like) need to go to alt.circle.jerk

    Perhaps alt.stupid.idiots, alt.dorks, & alt.utter.fools too. (yes, they do
    exist!)

    --
    Mandriva 2008.1 64-bit.
    This message was sent from a
    computer which is guaranteed
    100% free of the M$ Windoze virus.

  10. Re: [News] [Rival] Eggs Thrown at Steve Ballmer in Public Talk (Brand-new Video)

    On Tue, 20 May 2008 14:49:43 -0400, Moshe. Goldfarb wrote:
    >On Tue, 20 May 2008 10:45:59 -0700, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe. Goldfarb
    >>
    >> wrote
    >> on Tue, 20 May 2008 11:59:24 -0400
    >> <2xbccb8m7kpu.1ef9gagj902l4$.dlg@40tude.net>:

    >>> Schestowitz does more to harm Linux than any Wintroll could ever do.
    >>>

    >> Feel free to start your own news posting service. I only ask that:

    >Why?
    >This is a DISCUSSION group, not a News service group.
    >I get my news from RSS feeds and other places and I suspect other here do
    >the same.

    >Roy Spams the group with off topic messaged and putting [Rival] in front of
    >the message doesn't change a thing.

    As are are a numshifting troll of the nastiest variety, you haven't the
    right to criticize anybody for netiquette ever again.

    You are as ludicrous as a serial killer covered with blood who has complained
    about the police having the cuffs too tight and that he'll sue for police
    brutality.

  11. Re: [News] [Rival] Eggs Thrown at Steve Ballmer in Public Talk (Brand-new Video)

    On Tue, 20 May 2008 12:12:21 -0700, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe. Goldfarb
    >
    > wrote
    > on Tue, 20 May 2008 14:49:43 -0400
    > <1e3iy61gdg7ki$.1h1oi43lcw0hx.dlg@40tude.net>:
    >> On Tue, 20 May 2008 10:45:59 -0700, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >>
    >>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe. Goldfarb
    >>>
    >>> wrote
    >>> on Tue, 20 May 2008 11:59:24 -0400

    >>> Feel free to start your own news posting service. I only ask that:

    >> Why?
    >> This is a DISCUSSION group, not a News service group.
    >> I get my news from RSS feeds and other places and I suspect other here do
    >> the same.

    > Then report abuses to Roy's uplink.

    I believe in free speech, even for Roy Schestowitz.

    > Of course, presumably what we should be discussing is
    > Windows' obvious, inherent, innate superiority over Linux
    > in all things.

    Sarcasm will get no nowhere..

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  12. Re: [News] [Rival] Eggs Thrown at Steve Ballmer in Public Talk (Brand-new Video)

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe. Goldfarb

    wrote
    on Wed, 21 May 2008 11:29:44 -0400
    <1d3can0ieq32y.1omckcb4i8aum.dlg@40tude.net>:
    > On Tue, 20 May 2008 12:12:21 -0700, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe. Goldfarb
    >>
    >> wrote
    >> on Tue, 20 May 2008 14:49:43 -0400
    >> <1e3iy61gdg7ki$.1h1oi43lcw0hx.dlg@40tude.net>:

    >>> Why?
    >>> This is a DISCUSSION group, not a News service group.
    >>> I get my news from RSS feeds and other places and I suspect other here do
    >>> the same.

    >> Then report abuses to Roy's uplink.

    > I believe in free speech, even for Roy Schestowitz.

    Well make up your mind. This is not the USA. This is a newsgroup.

    >> Of course, presumably what we should be discussing is
    >> Windows' obvious, inherent, innate superiority over Linux
    >> in all things.

    > Sarcasm will get no nowhere..

    And therefore you do *not* believe Windows is obviously,
    inherently, innately superior over Linux in all things?

    Which thing is Windows not inherently innately superior to Linux in?
    Do enlighten us.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    /dev/brain: Permission denied

  13. Re: [News] [Rival] Eggs Thrown at Steve Ballmer in Public Talk (Brand-new Video)

    On Wed, 21 May 2008 11:47:50 -0700, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe. Goldfarb
    >
    > wrote
    > on Wed, 21 May 2008 11:29:44 -0400
    > <1d3can0ieq32y.1omckcb4i8aum.dlg@40tude.net>:
    >> On Tue, 20 May 2008 12:12:21 -0700, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >>
    >>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe. Goldfarb
    >>>
    >>> wrote
    >>> on Tue, 20 May 2008 14:49:43 -0400

    >>> Then report abuses to Roy's uplink.

    >> I believe in free speech, even for Roy Schestowitz.

    > Well make up your mind. This is not the USA. This is a newsgroup.

    Just because he has the right to free speech doesn't mean he can't be off
    topic or off charter........

    >>> Of course, presumably what we should be discussing is
    >>> Windows' obvious, inherent, innate superiority over Linux
    >>> in all things.

    >> Sarcasm will get no nowhere..
    >>

    > And therefore you do *not* believe Windows is obviously,
    > inherently, innately superior over Linux in all things?

    Of course not.
    Do you?

    > Which thing is Windows not inherently innately superior to Linux in?
    > Do enlighten us.

    Ease of use.
    Hardware support for home/common users of latest hardware.
    (For the loons, Linux wins OVERALL, but since I suspect most of you do not
    have a zSeries in your basement....well, you should get the picture)..
    Support.
    Applications.
    Consistent UI.
    Ease of integration with common Multimedia devices.
    etc..
    The list is endless.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  14. Windows versus Linux

    Note subject change.

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe. Goldfarb

    wrote
    on Wed, 21 May 2008 15:14:31 -0400
    :
    > On Wed, 21 May 2008 11:47:50 -0700, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe. Goldfarb
    >>
    >> wrote
    >> on Wed, 21 May 2008 11:29:44 -0400
    >> <1d3can0ieq32y.1omckcb4i8aum.dlg@40tude.net>:

    >>> I believe in free speech, even for Roy Schestowitz.

    >> Well make up your mind. This is not the USA. This is a newsgroup.

    > Just because he has the right to free speech doesn't mean
    > he can't be off topic or off charter........

    Depends on how strict the charter is. I'd have to look,
    and we are all enforcers here; this is an unmoderated
    newsgroup. Best we can do is comment on and thereby
    discourage such behavior, if a sufficient number find such
    behavior objectionable.

    >>> Sarcasm will get no nowhere..
    >>>

    >> And therefore you do *not* believe Windows is obviously,
    >> inherently, innately superior over Linux in all things?

    > Of course not.
    > Do you?
    >

    >> Which thing is Windows not inherently innately superior to Linux in?
    >> Do enlighten us.

    > Ease of use.

    Um...I asked which ones Windows *fails* in being inherently superior.
    But never mind; let's see.

    Windows: point and click, with CLI option.
    MacOS: point and click, with CLI option.
    Linux: int $0x80.[*]

    Next!

    > Hardware support for home/common users of latest hardware.

    All three have mixed records. The only thing I can point to with any
    specificity is Creative Lab's refusal to provide Linux X-1 drivers,
    and MacOS' refusal to work on non-Apple sanctioned equipment, though I
    suspect that is changing.

    Linux tends to do well with older model hardware (except
    Winmodems and Winprinters); Windows drivers are readily
    available for most new hardware, though the Vista confusion
    threw a bit of a monkey wrench into the works. Apple tends
    to use high-quality hardware, and generally knows what
    they're doing.

    > (For the loons, Linux wins OVERALL, but since I suspect most of you do not
    > have a zSeries in your basement....well, you should get the picture)..

    Linux does not win overall. Linux can't even boot.[*]

    Did you wish to specify a distro out of the 500+ that wins overall?

    As for a zSeries in my basement...I wish. I don't even have a basement.
    :-)

    > Support.

    Windows support: excellent, mostly because of its ubiquity.
    MacOSX support: I don't know but suspect it's excellent.
    Linux support: good enough, though it helps to know the
    difference between a byte and a sector, a packet and a
    package, a bit and a Bic.

    > Applications.

    Windows: large, many provided by Microsoft.
    MacOSX: large, a few provided by Microsoft; many provided by Apple.
    Linux: medium large, no applications from Linux qua Linux; all
    apps are third party.

    > Consistent UI.

    Windows: not as consistent as it could be, but there is generally
    a common look and feel.
    MacOSX: highly consistent.
    Linux: highly fragmented; the exact fragmentation depends on distro
    and configuration settings. See my ongoing communications with Snit
    for discussion/examples.

    > Ease of integration with common Multimedia devices.

    Windows: excellent support, including DRM and CRM.
    MacOSX: Unknown but probably excellent.
    Linux: variable support, which may or may not include codecs,
    especially on non-x86 machines, never mind DRM and CRM.

    > etc..
    > The list is endless.

    Yes it is. As you can plainly see, you've yet to
    provide me *anything* that has Linux being superior in
    Windows and/or MacOSX. Of course it depends on the
    measurement/metric used; one doesn't use a yardstick
    to measure distances across space, or atomic diameters,
    or the frequency of a sound, for example.

    There is one thing Linux is superior in for me:
    flexibility. But I'm an old Unix-head, that's a personal
    preference, and people should stick with what they know.
    Also, I build kernels and QEMU system images on a
    reasonably regular basis -- though I let the Gentoo
    'genkernel' utility do most of the work.

    Another thing Linux is superior in is general openness,
    if one is so inclined to read the code. However, Joe
    User is probably not going to want to pore over 30M+
    bytes of information -- and that's *before* uncompression.
    Fortunately, there is some rather skimpy (but still useful)
    documentation in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/, and most
    of that 30M+ is for modules.
    [*] Yes, I'm being pedantic. Most people will want to
    include either KDE, Gnome, XFCE, Motif, or a
    combination of all four, plus various GNU utilities
    and a smattering of applications such as OpenOffice,
    Scribus, or Firefox, and of course GRUB or LILO
    to even get started. This is not Linux any more
    than a steering wheel is a Chevy engine, though the
    entire Chevy car contains both. However, anyone with
    sufficient savvy can drop that Chevy engine into a
    Mini chassis, getting a rather unusual but drivable vehicle.
    AIUI, many have.

    OpenOffice readily runs on MacOSX, Windows, and FreeBSD;
    many other freeware utilities and applications (such as
    gEDA) do too.

    I should note that int $0x80 is for the Intel variant;
    other microprocessors have their own traps/calls.

    Note that the Linux kernel looks for init and
    sh in various locations near the end of its
    bootup sequence. If it doesn't find either
    one, it panics. The user can override this
    behavior during booting, permissions permitting,
    by specifying init=/usr/local/bin/myexecutable,
    where /usr/local/bin/myexecutable is a pathname.
    (A shell script might even work here, as long as it
    has '#!/bin/sh' at the very top. It's an unusual
    environment, so be warned; one is probably better off
    using other methods, such as editing /etc/conf.d/local.start .)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C++ Programming Idea #8830129:
    std::set<...> v; for(..:iterator i = v.begin(); i != v.end(); i++)
    if(*i == thing) {...}

  15. Re: Windows versus Linux

    On Wed, 21 May 2008 13:02:09 -0700, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

    > Yes it is. As you can plainly see, you've yet to
    > provide me *anything* that has Linux being superior in
    > Windows and/or MacOSX. Of course it depends on the
    > measurement/metric used; one doesn't use a yardstick
    > to measure distances across space, or atomic diameters,
    > or the frequency of a sound, for example.
    >
    > There is one thing Linux is superior in for me:
    > flexibility. But I'm an old Unix-head, that's a personal
    > preference, and people should stick with what they know.
    > Also, I build kernels and QEMU system images on a
    > reasonably regular basis -- though I let the Gentoo
    > 'genkernel' utility do most of the work.
    >
    > Another thing Linux is superior in is general openness,
    > if one is so inclined to read the code. However, Joe
    > User is probably not going to want to pore over 30M+
    > bytes of information -- and that's *before* uncompression.
    > Fortunately, there is some rather skimpy (but still useful)
    > documentation in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/, and most
    > of that 30M+ is for modules.

    So what leads you to believe that I don't agree with your reasons for Linux
    being superior?

    In general, I do agree with what you have wrote however at the same time I
    know for a fact that most people don't care about those things, except
    maybe for cost.

    The reason I didn't provide an answer in the first reply was because I had
    no idea what you were asking?
    You go from sarcastic, to pedantic, to realistic all in one post and it is
    difficult to keep track of where you are heading with your writings.

    That being said, I pretty much agree with you.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  16. Re: Windows versus Linux

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe. Goldfarb

    wrote
    on Wed, 21 May 2008 16:36:47 -0400
    <1roq7qjw05abn.tuaqwmdpnm24.dlg@40tude.net>:
    > On Wed, 21 May 2008 13:02:09 -0700, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >

    >> Yes it is. As you can plainly see, you've yet to
    >> provide me *anything* that has Linux being superior in
    >> Windows and/or MacOSX. Of course it depends on the
    >> measurement/metric used; one doesn't use a yardstick
    >> to measure distances across space, or atomic diameters,
    >> or the frequency of a sound, for example.
    >>
    >> There is one thing Linux is superior in for me:
    >> flexibility. But I'm an old Unix-head, that's a personal
    >> preference, and people should stick with what they know.
    >> Also, I build kernels and QEMU system images on a
    >> reasonably regular basis -- though I let the Gentoo
    >> 'genkernel' utility do most of the work.
    >>
    >> Another thing Linux is superior in is general openness,
    >> if one is so inclined to read the code. However, Joe
    >> User is probably not going to want to pore over 30M+
    >> bytes of information -- and that's *before* uncompression.
    >> Fortunately, there is some rather skimpy (but still useful)
    >> documentation in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/, and most
    >> of that 30M+ is for modules.

    > So what leads you to believe that I don't agree with
    > your reasons for Linux being superior?

    Because Linux is *not* superior, in the general context.
    Only in *my* context, which is relatively uninteresting
    unless you're also an old Unix head. :-P

    > In general, I do agree with what you have wrote however at the same time I
    > know for a fact that most people don't care about those things, except
    > maybe for cost.

    These things, people would not care about. Cost is
    also not an issue. Windows is free. (FSVO.) It comes
    preloaded and ready to go, although another poster did
    point out that many users customize their Winows systems
    to the point where it makes little difference.

    In short, a lot goes into a working system.

    > The reason I didn't provide an answer in the first reply was because I had
    > no idea what you were asking?
    > You go from sarcastic, to pedantic, to realistic all in one post and it is
    > difficult to keep track of where you are heading with your writings.

    Your problem, not mine. ;-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    New Technology? Not There. No Thanks.

  17. Re: [News] [Rival] Eggs Thrown at Steve Ballmer in Public Talk(Brand-new Video)

    On Wed, 21 May 2008 11:29:44 -0400, Moshe. Goldfarb wrote:

    (snip)
    >> Then report abuses to Roy's uplink.

    > I believe in free speech, even for Roy Schestowitz.

    .... that's why bitch about him so much ...

    --
    Rick

  18. Re: Windows versus Linux

    "Moshe. Goldfarb" writes:

    > On Wed, 21 May 2008 13:02:09 -0700, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >

    >> Yes it is. As you can plainly see, you've yet to
    >> provide me *anything* that has Linux being superior in
    >> Windows and/or MacOSX. Of course it depends on the
    >> measurement/metric used; one doesn't use a yardstick
    >> to measure distances across space, or atomic diameters,
    >> or the frequency of a sound, for example.
    >>
    >> There is one thing Linux is superior in for me:
    >> flexibility. But I'm an old Unix-head, that's a personal
    >> preference, and people should stick with what they know.
    >> Also, I build kernels and QEMU system images on a
    >> reasonably regular basis -- though I let the Gentoo
    >> 'genkernel' utility do most of the work.
    >>
    >> Another thing Linux is superior in is general openness,
    >> if one is so inclined to read the code. However, Joe
    >> User is probably not going to want to pore over 30M+
    >> bytes of information -- and that's *before* uncompression.
    >> Fortunately, there is some rather skimpy (but still useful)
    >> documentation in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/, and most
    >> of that 30M+ is for modules.

    > So what leads you to believe that I don't agree with your reasons for Linux
    > being superior?
    >
    > In general, I do agree with what you have wrote however at the same time I
    > know for a fact that most people don't care about those things, except
    > maybe for cost.
    >
    > The reason I didn't provide an answer in the first reply was because I had
    > no idea what you were asking?
    > You go from sarcastic, to pedantic, to realistic all in one post and it is
    > difficult to keep track of where you are heading with your writings.

    And that's the truth. I have also noticed a tendency for Ghost to
    actually talk nonsense about certain issues - but his habit of wrapping
    it all up in a lot of flannel lets him get away with it. Frankly I think
    he is trolling most of the time .... :-;

  19. Re: Windows versus Linux

    On Fri, 23 May 2008 14:30:52 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    >> The reason I didn't provide an answer in the first reply was because I had
    >> no idea what you were asking?
    >> You go from sarcastic, to pedantic, to realistic all in one post and it is
    >> difficult to keep track of where you are heading with your writings.

    > And that's the truth. I have also noticed a tendency for Ghost to
    > actually talk nonsense about certain issues - but his habit of wrapping
    > it all up in a lot of flannel lets him get away with it. Frankly I think
    > he is trolling most of the time .... :-;

    So do I.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots: