[News] More Linux+ZFS Speculations, New LM_Sensors for Linux Released - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] More Linux+ZFS Speculations, New LM_Sensors for Linux Released - Linux ; I swear, this is not another Unixfication post ,----[ Quote ] | Is Sun talking with Linus about moving ZFS to GPLv2, with the objective of | fast tracking ZFS into a native Linux kernel implementation of the file | ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 49

  1. [News] More Linux+ZFS Speculations, New LM_Sensors for Linux Released

    I swear, this is not another Unixfication post

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Is Sun talking with Linus about moving ZFS to GPLv2, with the objective of
    | fast tracking ZFS into a native Linux kernel implementation of the file
    | system driver? Or is Linus considering moving the kernel to GPLv3, with Sun
    | doing the same for OpenSolaris? Is Linux and Solaris DNA going to swap much
    | quicker than previously thought?
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=8854

    The GPLv3 was heavily FUDed. It's actually a great licence. Be careful of the
    Microsoft-imposed FUD.

    LM_Sensors 3.0.2 Released

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | LM_Sensors 3.0 was originally released last year with the 3.0.1 release then
    | coming out in late January, but succeeding that release is now LM_Sensors
    | 3.0.2. This new Linux sensors release brings support to libsensors for
    | virtual hardware monitoring devices (including the generic thermal zones to
    | be introduced with the Linux 2.6.26 kernel)
    `----

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=NjQ3OQ

    Earlier:

    Linux and Sun Partnering?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | What happens when you get Linus Torvalds, Mr. Linux, together with Jeff
    | Bonwick, Sun’s master of storage and creator of ZFS? Well, right now, we
    | don’t know.
    |
    | All we know is that Bonwick has posted a trio of photos of himself and
    | Torvalds on his blog under the mysterious title, Casablanca, with a couple of
    | cryptic comments about chocolate and peanut butter and the phrase, “All I can
    | say for the moment is… stay tuned.”
    |
    | Jim Grisanzio, Sun’s senior programming manager for OpenSolaris, links to the
    | blog under the title “ZFS Pics.” This seems to indicate that Sun may be
    | talking with Torvalds about bringing ZFS to Linux. Even this conclusion is
    | really just speculation.
    `----

    http://practical-tech.com/operating-...un-partnering/

    Related:

    Multi-touch support for MPX [in Linux]

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | MPX already supported multiple input devices. Which blows pretty much all
    | assumptions in user interfaces (input) out of the water. Now I've gone one
    | step further and added support for multi-touch displays. Have a look at this
    | video... *
    `----

    http://wearables.unisa.edu.au/mpx/?q=node/86

  2. Re: [News] New LM_Sensors for Linux Released

    On Mon, 19 May 2008 14:01:49 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >The GPLv3 was heavily FUDed. It's actually a great licence. Be careful of the
    >Microsoft-imposed FUD.

    >LM_Sensors 3.0.2 Released

    Here's a another software product that has caught up and surpassed windows
    by a mile.

    With windows, you have to find a voltage/fanspeed/temp monitor program from the
    motherboard maker and most have the look and feel of a preschool educational
    toy. That is if you can find one at all. At last half of the time, one doesn't
    exist.

  3. Re: [News] New LM_Sensors for Linux Released

    On Mon, 19 May 2008 10:54:15 -0500, AZ Nomad wrote:

    > On Mon, 19 May 2008 14:01:49 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >>The GPLv3 was heavily FUDed. It's actually a great licence. Be careful of the
    >>Microsoft-imposed FUD.

    >>LM_Sensors 3.0.2 Released

    > Here's a another software product that has caught up and surpassed windows
    > by a mile.
    >
    > With windows, you have to find a voltage/fanspeed/temp monitor program from the
    > motherboard maker and most have the look and feel of a preschool educational
    > toy. That is if you can find one at all. At last half of the time, one doesn't
    > exist.

    Yea....
    It's real difficult for you Linux loons.

    It comes on the DVD included with the Motherboard and in 3 clicks of a
    mouse it's installed.
    Oh it's for Windows BTW, like all the other stuff included with most
    hardware.

    Compare that to installing LM Sensors:

    http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/FAQ/Chapter2

    Why so many modules, and how do I cope with them?

    We tried to make this package as modular as possible. This makes it easy to
    add new drivers, and unused drivers will take no precious kernel space. On
    the other hand, it can be a bit confusing at first.

    Here are two simple guidelines:

    * Run sensors-detect and do what it tells you.

    * Always use modprobe, not insmod.

    Further information is in doc/modules.
    How do I know which chips I own?

    We have an excellent program that scans all your hardware. It is called
    sensors-detect and is installed in /usr/local/sbin by make install. Just
    execute this script, and it will tell you.

    Chip detection in the drivers is fairly good. That means that it is usually
    harmless to insert more chip drivers than you need. However, this can still
    lead to problems, so we do not recommend it.

    If sensors-detect didn't find any sensors, either you don't have any, or
    the ones you have, we don't support. (Look at your motherboard for
    candidates, then see Help)
    What chips are on motherboard XYZ?

    !!!!!!!!! YES THIS IS THE MOST FREQUENT QUESTION WE GET !!!!!!!!!

    We have no idea. Here is what you should do:

    1. Run sensors-detect. If that doesn't work read on:
    2. Look at your motherboard.
    3. Check the manufacturer's website or ask their support
    4. Check the Motherboard Monitor website and the "links" page on our
    website some good cross-references.

    Or you may try our Installation wizard
    Do you support motherboard XYZ?

    We don't support boards, we support chips. See What chips are on
    motherboard XYZ.
    Do you support chip XYZ?

    This we have good answers for.

    * Sorted by Manufacturer: README
    * Sorted by Manufacturer
    * Sorted by Sensor Driver: doc/chips/SUMMARY

    Anybody working on a driver for chip XYZ?

    Newest Driver Status
    Which modules should I insert?

    sensors-detect will tell you. Take the modprobe lines it recommends and
    paste them into the appropriate /etc/rc.d/xxxx file to be executed at
    startup.

    You need one module for each sensor chip and bus adapter you own; if there
    are sensor chips on the ISA bus, you also need i2c-isa.o. for each type of
    chip you own. That's all. On my computer, I could use the following lines:

    modprobe i2c-isa
    modprobe i2c-piix4
    modprobe lm78
    modprobe lm75
    modprobe i2c-dev
    sensors -s

    Help, I do not have smbus-arp!

    You don't need it. This driver has not much use except for testing SMBus
    2.0 ARP and PEC support in the i2c layer.
    Do I need the configuration file /etc/sensors.conf?

    Yes, for any applications that use libsensors, including the sensors
    application included in our package. It tells libsensors how to translate
    the values the chip measures to real-world values. This is especially
    important for voltage inputs. The default configuration file should usually
    do the trick. It is automatically installed as /etc/sensors.conf, but it
    will not overwrite any existing file with that name.
    The labels for the voltage and temperature readings in sensors are
    incorrect!

    Every motherboard is different. You can customize the labels in the file
    /etc/sensors.conf. That's why it exists! The default labelling (in
    lib/chips.c and /etc/sensors.conf) is just a template.
    The min and max for the readings in sensors are incorrect!

    You can customize them in the file /etc/sensors.conf. See above.
    The min and max settings in /etc/sensors.conf didn't take effect!

    You forgot to run sensors -s. See above.
    One sensor isn't hooked up on my board!

    Use an ignore line in /etc/sensors.conf so it isn't displayed in sensors.
    I need help with sensors.conf!

    There is detailed help at the top of that file.
    Do you have a database of sensors.conf entries for specific boards?

    No. Good idea though. If you would like to set one up on your website send
    us mail and we will set up a link to it.
    What about the No such file or directory warnings when I compile?

    Don't worry about them. The dependency files (which tell which files should
    be recompiled when certain files change) are created dynamically. They are
    not distributed with the package. The make program notices they are not
    there, and warns about that - and the first thing it will do is generate
    them. So all is well.
    I get all kinds of weird compilation errors?

    Check that the correct i2c header files are used. Depending on how you
    installed, they should be under either /usr/local/include or
    /usr/src/linux*/include. Try to edit the Makefile for the other setting.
    No rule to make target xxxx needed by xxxx - how to fix?

    * See I get all kinds of weird compilation errors, also try make clean
    in lm_sensors.

    * If that doesn't work, try make clean in i2c.

    * If that doesn't work, try make clean in the kernel.

    * Also make sure /usr/include/linux points to
    /usr/src/linux/include/linux.

    It still does not compile or patch!

    Have you installed the matching version of the i2c package? Remember,
    compilation is not enough, you also need to install it for the header files
    to be found!

    If you want to patch the kernel, you will have to apply the i2c patches
    first!
    make install fails on Mandrake kernels

    Mandrake uses a non-standard version.h file which confuses our Makefile.
    Edit our Makefile on the MODDIR := line to hard-code the module directory.
    I get unresolved symbols when I modprobe modules (Red Hat especially)

    Example:

    *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.5/kernel/drivers/i2c/i2c-i810.o

    i2c_bit_add_bus_R8c3bc60e

    i2c_bit_del_bus_R92b18f49

    You can also run depmod -a -e to see all unresolved symbols.

    These are module versioning problems. Generally you did not compile against
    the kernel you are running. Sometimes the Red Hat source you have is not
    for the kernel you are running. You must compile our package against the
    source for the kernel you are running with something like make
    LINUX=/usr/src/linux-2.4.14.

    Try the following to be sure:

    * nm --extern MODULE.o Filter out the kernel symbols, like kmalloc,
    printk etc. and note the number code behind them, like printk_R1b7d4074. If
    there is no numeric code after them, note this too.

    * grep SYMBOL /proc/ksyms Substitute SYMBOL by the basename of the
    symbols above, like kmalloc, printk etc. Note the number code behind them,
    or the lack thereof.

    * Compare both sets of symbols. Are they the same? If so, the problem
    lies somewhere else. Are they different? If so, you have a module
    versioning problem.

    I2C_DRIVERID_ADM1024 undefined (Red Hat especially)

    In some versions of Redhat, an RPM is included to provide i2c support.
    However, this RPM does not place the header files in the kernel directory
    structure. When you update kernels, they may persist. To get rid of these
    obsolete header files, at a command prompt:

    1. rpm -qa | grep i2c

    2. Look for kernel-i2c, or a similar rpm in the output

    3. rpm -ev kernel-i2c (or the name of the similar package) If
    this complains about dependencies, you can try adding --nodeps, but this
    *MAY* break something else. Not likely, as you have upgraded kernels, and
    nothing should be using the old i2c stuff anymore anyway. Just don't use it
    with abandon.

    4. Try (in the build directory of lm_sensors)

    make clean

    make

    5. If you still have problems, you may have to replace the include paths
    in the .c/.h files with absolute paths to the header files. More of a
    workaround than a real fix, but at least you can get it to work.
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  4. Re: [News] New LM_Sensors for Linux Released

    "AZ Nomad" wrote in message
    > On Mon, 19 May 2008 14:01:49 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
    > wrote:
    >
    >>The GPLv3 was heavily FUDed. It's actually a great licence. Be careful of
    >>the
    >>Microsoft-imposed FUD.

    >>LM_Sensors 3.0.2 Released

    > Here's a another software product that has caught up and surpassed
    > windows
    > by a mile.
    >
    > With windows, you have to find a voltage/fanspeed/temp monitor program
    > from the
    > motherboard maker and most have the look and feel of a preschool
    > educational
    > toy. That is if you can find one at all. At last half of the time, one
    > doesn't
    > exist.

    So can you show me a single motherboard that doesn't ship with a CD/DVD
    that already has this program for Windows? The stock nVidia drivers for
    Windows will show me the temperature of the GPU. Can you even do that with
    linux?

  5. Re: [News] New LM_Sensors for Linux Released

    On Mon, 19 May 2008 12:02:39 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >On Mon, 19 May 2008 10:54:15 -0500, AZ Nomad wrote:

    >> On Mon, 19 May 2008 14:01:49 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>>The GPLv3 was heavily FUDed. It's actually a great licence. Be careful of the
    >>>Microsoft-imposed FUD.

    >>>LM_Sensors 3.0.2 Released

    >> Here's a another software product that has caught up and surpassed windows
    >> by a mile.
    >>
    >> With windows, you have to find a voltage/fanspeed/temp monitor program from the
    >> motherboard maker and most have the look and feel of a preschool educational
    >> toy. That is if you can find one at all. At last half of the time, one doesn't
    >> exist.

    >Yea....
    >It's real difficult for you Linux loons.

    >It comes on the DVD included with the Motherboard and in 3 clicks of a
    >mouse it's installed.
    >Oh it's for Windows BTW, like all the other stuff included with most
    >hardware.

    You ****ing idiot; clearly, you've never mastered English.

    You can't install what doesn't exist. On most motherboards, there is
    no utility. There's no API for other applications.

    On linux:
    install the package.
    run sensors-detect
    install sensor viewing client like gkrellm2
    done.

    On windows:
    visit the motherboard maker. oops. it isn't there.
    visit the chipset maker. oops. it isn't there.

    on windows your **** out of luck.

  6. Re: [News] New LM_Sensors for Linux Released

    On Mon, 19 May 2008 12:26:38 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    >"AZ Nomad" wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 19 May 2008 14:01:49 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>The GPLv3 was heavily FUDed. It's actually a great licence. Be careful of
    >>>the
    >>>Microsoft-imposed FUD.

    >>>LM_Sensors 3.0.2 Released

    >> Here's a another software product that has caught up and surpassed
    >> windows
    >> by a mile.
    >>
    >> With windows, you have to find a voltage/fanspeed/temp monitor program
    >> from the
    >> motherboard maker and most have the look and feel of a preschool
    >> educational
    >> toy. That is if you can find one at all. At last half of the time, one
    >> doesn't
    >> exist.
    >>

    >So can you show me a single motherboard that doesn't ship with a CD/DVD
    >that already has this program for Windows? .

    >The stock nVidia drivers for
    >Windows will show me the temperature of the GPU.
    > Can you even do that with linux?

    Of course, you idiot. The same nvidia drivers will do it on linux.

  7. Re: [News] New LM_Sensors for Linux Released

    "AZ Nomad" wrote in message
    > On Mon, 19 May 2008 12:26:38 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >
    >>"AZ Nomad" wrote in message

    >>> Here's a another software product that has caught up and surpassed
    >>> windows
    >>> by a mile.
    >>>
    >>> With windows, you have to find a voltage/fanspeed/temp monitor program
    >>> from the
    >>> motherboard maker and most have the look and feel of a preschool
    >>> educational
    >>> toy. That is if you can find one at all. At last half of the time,
    >>> one
    >>> doesn't
    >>> exist.
    >>>

    >>So can you show me a single motherboard that doesn't ship with a CD/DVD
    >>that already has this program for Windows? .

    >>The stock nVidia drivers for
    >>Windows will show me the temperature of the GPU.
    >> Can you even do that with linux?

    > Of course, you idiot. The same nvidia drivers will do it on linux.

    Let's see. On Windows I can use the CD/DVD that came with my motherboard to
    monitor the CPU temperature. Another utility will monitor my HDD temps. And
    the installed nVidia driver will monitor the GPU temperature.

    What exactly does this linux project do that I can't already do. And why is
    it just coming out and so heavily text based (CLI) in order to install and
    configure it?

  8. Re: [News] New LM_Sensors for Linux Released

    On Mon, 19 May 2008 11:45:53 -0500, AZ Nomad wrote:

    > On Mon, 19 May 2008 12:26:38 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >
    >>"AZ Nomad" wrote in message

    >>> Here's a another software product that has caught up and surpassed
    >>> windows
    >>> by a mile.
    >>>
    >>> With windows, you have to find a voltage/fanspeed/temp monitor program
    >>> from the
    >>> motherboard maker and most have the look and feel of a preschool
    >>> educational
    >>> toy. That is if you can find one at all. At last half of the time, one
    >>> doesn't
    >>> exist.
    >>>

    >>So can you show me a single motherboard that doesn't ship with a CD/DVD
    >>that already has this program for Windows? .

    >>The stock nVidia drivers for
    >>Windows will show me the temperature of the GPU.
    >> Can you even do that with linux?

    > Of course, you idiot. The same nvidia drivers will do it on linux.

    You mean the proprietary Nvidia drivers that you have to jump through hoops
    to download?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  9. Re: [News] New LM_Sensors for Linux Released

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb

    wrote
    on Mon, 19 May 2008 13:10:51 -0400
    <19axdy51w0579.mrqv43j6dt2v$.dlg@40tude.net>:
    > On Mon, 19 May 2008 11:45:53 -0500, AZ Nomad wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 19 May 2008 12:26:38 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >>
    >>>"AZ Nomad" wrote in message

    >>>So can you show me a single motherboard that doesn't ship with a CD/DVD
    >>>that already has this program for Windows? .

    >>>The stock nVidia drivers for
    >>>Windows will show me the temperature of the GPU.
    >>> Can you even do that with linux?

    >> Of course, you idiot. The same nvidia drivers will do it on linux.

    > You mean the proprietary Nvidia drivers that you have to jump through hoops
    > to download?

    They're different drivers anyway. One cannot use Windows
    video drivers on Linux boxes. (Wireless drivers, yes,
    with ndiswrapper. Different problem.)

    Whether there's a GPU temperature option thereon, I for one
    cannot say, though it's a logical thing to show.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #104392:
    for(int i = 0; i < 1000000; i++) sleep(0);

  10. Re: More Linux+ZFS Speculations, New LM_Sensors for Linux Released

    On May 19, 9:01 pm, Roy Schestowitz
    wrote:

    The LM sensor thing is just annoying. Whenever I install a new linux
    system I always have to open the stupid setup or config file to
    disable it and other useless services, and then shut them down by
    myself (which is stupid too - why can't it monitor config file to do
    that for users?)

    Linux distributions are getting worse and worse everyday.

  11. Re: More Linux+ZFS Speculations, New LM_Sensors for Linux Released

    * AqD peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > On May 19, 9:01 pm, Roy Schestowitz
    > wrote:
    >

    > The LM sensor thing is just annoying. Whenever I install a new linux
    > system I always have to open the stupid setup or config file to
    > disable it and other useless services, and then shut them down by
    > myself (which is stupid too - why can't it monitor config file to do
    > that for users?)

    Because you don't know how to use your system, that's why.

    > Linux distributions are getting worse and worse everyday.

    Or, maybe it is the problem that rests between the chair and the
    keyboard! Causing a lower quality of user!

    --
    I believe OS/2 is destined to be the most important operating system, and
    possibly program, of all time.

  12. Re: [News] New LM_Sensors for Linux Released

    On Mon, 19 May 2008 10:49:36 -0700, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb
    >
    > wrote
    >on Mon, 19 May 2008 13:10:51 -0400
    ><19axdy51w0579.mrqv43j6dt2v$.dlg@40tude.net>:

    >>> Of course, you idiot. The same nvidia drivers will do it on linux.

    >> You mean the proprietary Nvidia drivers that you have to jump through hoops
    >> to download?

    Jump through hoops? What kind of retard are you? You select linux instead
    of windows. That's it. Download them. Run the installer.

    >They're different drivers anyway. One cannot use Windows
    >video drivers on Linux boxes.

    no ****, really?

  13. Re: [News] New LM_Sensors for Linux Released

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, AZ Nomad

    wrote
    on Mon, 19 May 2008 14:13:47 -0500
    :
    > On Mon, 19 May 2008 10:49:36 -0700, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >>In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb
    >>
    >> wrote
    >>on Mon, 19 May 2008 13:10:51 -0400
    >><19axdy51w0579.mrqv43j6dt2v$.dlg@40tude.net>:

    >>> You mean the proprietary Nvidia drivers that you have to jump
    >>> through hoops to download?

    > Jump through hoops? What kind of retard are you? You select linux
    > instead of windows. That's it. Download them. Run the installer.

    And in Gentoo it's even simpler. (I suspect most distros
    encapsulate the problem just as easily.) All I have to
    do is 'emerge nvidia-drivers'.

    Of course one has to know to *do* that. I'll admit I'm not
    entirely sure where all that is documented, though Googling
    for it should cough up something.

    >>They're different drivers anyway. One cannot use Windows
    >>video drivers on Linux boxes.

    > no ****, really?

    At present, anyway. I'll admit to some curiosity as
    to whether a more general form of ndiswrapper is even
    theoretically possible therefor, and in any event the API
    is very different.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Linux makes one use one's mind.
    Windows just messes with one's head.

  14. Re: [News] New LM_Sensors for Linux Released

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

    ! Don Zeigler

  15. Re: [News] New LM_Sensors for Linux Released

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

    ! Don Zeigler

  16. Re: [News] New LM_Sensors for Linux Released

    On Mon, 19 May 2008 13:21:57 -0700, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >In comp.os.linux.advocacy, AZ Nomad
    >
    > wrote
    >on Mon, 19 May 2008 14:13:47 -0500
    >:
    >> On Mon, 19 May 2008 10:49:36 -0700, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >>>In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb
    >>>
    >>> wrote
    >>>on Mon, 19 May 2008 13:10:51 -0400

    >> Jump through hoops? What kind of retard are you? You select linux
    >> instead of windows. That's it. Download them. Run the installer.
    >>

    >And in Gentoo it's even simpler. (I suspect most distros
    >encapsulate the problem just as easily.) All I have to
    >do is 'emerge nvidia-drivers'.

    >Of course one has to know to *do* that. I'll admit I'm not
    >entirely sure where all that is documented, though Googling
    >for it should cough up something.

    Real ****ing hard. Search for "gentoo nvidia"

    Clearly too much for a master retard like flatfish.

  17. Re: [News] New LM_Sensors for Linux Released

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, AZ Nomad

    wrote
    on Mon, 19 May 2008 18:53:02 -0500
    :
    > On Mon, 19 May 2008 13:21:57 -0700, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >>In comp.os.linux.advocacy, AZ Nomad
    >>
    >> wrote
    >>on Mon, 19 May 2008 14:13:47 -0500
    >>:

    >>> Jump through hoops? What kind of retard are you? You select linux
    >>> instead of windows. That's it. Download them. Run the installer.
    >>>

    >>And in Gentoo it's even simpler. (I suspect most distros
    >>encapsulate the problem just as easily.) All I have to
    >>do is 'emerge nvidia-drivers'.

    >>Of course one has to know to *do* that. I'll admit I'm not
    >>entirely sure where all that is documented, though Googling
    >>for it should cough up something.

    > Real ****ing hard. Search for "gentoo nvidia"
    >
    > Clearly too much for a master retard like flatfish.

    Agreed; far too difficult, especially since he's going to
    have to use Microsoft Live. ;-)

    Interestingly, typing in "Gentoo nvidia" into
    www.live.com (Microsoft's
    not-so-intuitively-named Live search service).
    coughs up bug #218178 -- a Gentoo bugzilla entry
    related to a Gentoo build problem. Bizarre.

    Google coughs up a much more reasonable URL:
    http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/nvidia-guide.xml
    Yahoo also found this doc. For some reason infoseek.go.com
    proxied to Yahoo. Lycos returned a two-step search, apparently
    cataloguing all of the pages that are in the gentoo domain, but
    the first page of the first cluster is this doc again.

    Turbo10 returned two copies of the above URL, one with
    ?style=printable as a qualifier.

    Hakia coughs up a security flaw as its first returned value:
    http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=1056.0

    Wikia went to Gentoo's sponsors page:
    http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/sponsors.xml

    Conclusion: some of the search engines aren't quite as
    smart as we'd like them to be..... ;-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C++ Programming Idea #7878218:
    class C { private: virtual void stupid() = 0; };

  18. Re: [News] New LM_Sensors for Linux Released

    Verily I say unto thee, that AZ Nomad spake thusly:

    > With windows, you have to find a voltage/fanspeed/temp monitor
    > program from the motherboard maker and most have the look and feel of
    > a preschool educational toy. That is if you can find one at all. At
    > last half of the time, one doesn't exist.

    My P4 Giga-byte mobo has a thing called EasyTune5 that automatically
    crashes every time Windows boots. Running it manually helps, but then it
    launches the biggest; chunkiest GUI I've ever seen, that occupies nearly
    the whole 1600x1200 screen. Any adjustments to the fan threshold handily
    results in an instant reset.

    The same system, rebooted into Linux, launches gnome-sensors-applet and
    gives me access to all the same sensors ... without crashing; without
    taking up the whole screen; and without instantly resetting. It also
    shows the nVidia Core and Ambient temps, without me having to launch any
    display preferences applet.

    The Ferrari Laptop came with /no/ such software for Windows, nor does
    any exist AFAIK, but again it all just works under Linux, minus the fan
    speed, which cannot be controlled at all using software by either Linux
    or Windows.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    02:47:41 up 150 days, 23:23, 6 users, load average: 0.37, 0.22, 0.32

  19. Re: [News] New LM_Sensors for Linux Released

    On Mon, 19 May 2008 12:49:55 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    >"AZ Nomad" wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 19 May 2008 12:26:38 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >>
    >>>"AZ Nomad" wrote in message

    >>>So can you show me a single motherboard that doesn't ship with a CD/DVD
    >>>that already has this program for Windows? .

    >>>The stock nVidia drivers for
    >>>Windows will show me the temperature of the GPU.
    >>> Can you even do that with linux?

    >> Of course, you idiot. The same nvidia drivers will do it on linux.

    >Let's see. On Windows I can use the CD/DVD that came with my motherboard to
    >monitor the CPU temperature. Another utility will monitor my HDD temps. And
    >the installed nVidia driver will monitor the GPU temperature.

    >What exactly does this linux project do that I can't already do.

    It gives you a choice of user interface and ones that don't look like a
    preschool educational toy. It provides an API for other software.

    > And why is
    >it just coming out and so heavily text based (CLI) in order to install and
    >configure it?

    Another outright lie. It has been extremely stable and very useable for at
    least 6 years now. It is already into it's third major release.
    Windows has yet to provide such basic functionality.

  20. Re: [News] New LM_Sensors for Linux Released

    * AZ Nomad peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > On Mon, 19 May 2008 12:49:55 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >
    >> And why is
    >>it just coming out and so heavily text based (CLI) in order to install and
    >>configure it?

    > Another outright lie.

    Are you surprised, AZ?

    > It has been extremely stable and very useable for at
    > least 6 years now. It is already into it's third major release.
    > Windows has yet to provide such basic functionality.

    As others have noted, the functionality you can track down to handle
    that functionality can be bloated and unstable.

    Mercy, Bill!

    --
    Since when has the world of computer software design been about what people
    want? This is a simple question of evolution. The day is quickly coming when

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast