[News] More Linux+ZFS Speculations, New LM_Sensors for Linux Released - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] More Linux+ZFS Speculations, New LM_Sensors for Linux Released - Linux ; On Tue, 20 May 2008 07:23:31 -0400, Linonut wrote: >* AZ Nomad peremptorily fired off this memo: >> On Mon, 19 May 2008 12:49:55 -0400, Ezekiel wrote: >> >>> And why is >>>it just coming out and so heavily text ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 49

  1. Re: [News] New LM_Sensors for Linux Released

    On Tue, 20 May 2008 07:23:31 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >* AZ Nomad peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >> On Mon, 19 May 2008 12:49:55 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >>
    >>> And why is
    >>>it just coming out and so heavily text based (CLI) in order to install and
    >>>configure it?

    >> Another outright lie.

    >Are you surprised, AZ?

    >> It has been extremely stable and very useable for at
    >> least 6 years now. It is already into it's third major release.
    >> Windows has yet to provide such basic functionality.

    >As others have noted, the functionality you can track down to handle
    >that functionality can be bloated and unstable.

    It's funny how when the windows troll is confronted with proof that their OS is
    behind, they have to use the 'sour grapes' argument. "I don't really want that
    actually". "I prefer having a unstable cartoon solution that was slapped
    together in a couple of weekends, that slows my system down and is ureliable,
    has lockups and may even crash my system and will not work after the next
    windows release. Aren't you jealous?"

  2. Re: [News] New LM_Sensors for Linux Released

    "AZ Nomad" wrote in message
    > On Tue, 20 May 2008 07:23:31 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >>* AZ Nomad peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> Another outright lie.

    >>Are you surprised, AZ?

    >>> It has been extremely stable and very useable for at
    >>> least 6 years now. It is already into it's third major release.
    >>> Windows has yet to provide such basic functionality.

    >>As others have noted, the functionality you can track down to handle
    >>that functionality can be bloated and unstable.

    > It's funny how when the windows troll is confronted with proof that their
    > OS is
    > behind, they have to use the 'sour grapes' argument.

    Funny how the liar "advocate" has to fabricate some imaginary story about
    "sour grapes." You can show exactly where I posted this, yes?

    > "I don't really want that actually".

    More lies. You can show where I said this too, right?

    > "I prefer having a unstable cartoon solution that was slapped
    > together in a couple of weekends, that slows my system down and is
    > ureliable,
    > has lockups and may even crash my system and will not work after the next
    > windows release.

    And more lies. You can show where I said or implied this too. Didn't think
    so liar.

    > Aren't you jealous?"

    Why? Because my utility is supplied ready to run on a CD. While you have to
    download, compile and configure a bunch of stuff and hope that it works? Not
    jealous at all.

  3. Re: [News] New LM_Sensors for Linux Released

    * The Ghost In The Machine peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Interestingly, typing in "Gentoo nvidia" into
    > www.live.com (Microsoft's
    > not-so-intuitively-named Live search service).
    > coughs up bug #218178 -- a Gentoo bugzilla entry
    > related to a Gentoo build problem. Bizarre.

    It's even funnier than that. Here' the first page, summarized:

    Gentoo Bug 218178 - nvidia-drivers-169.12 fails to build against 2.6
    Gentoo Bug 156978 - nvidia-drivers-1.0.8776 does not compile on gentoo ...
    Gentoo Forums :: View topic - Nvidia problem, cannot load module
    Gentoo Forums :: View topic - NVidia - Kernel - X.org Troubleshooting
    Gentoo Linux Documentation -- NVIDIA binary graphics driver ...
    Gentoo Linux Documentation -- Gentoo Linux nVidia Guide
    Gentoo: NVIDIA binary graphics driver Privilege escalation ...
    Gentoo: NVIDIA drivers Denial of Service - The Community's Center for ...
    [gentoo-x86] Annotation of /x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers/ChangeLog
    NVIDIA - Gentoo Linux Wiki

    Wotta riot! Mostly bugs and security alerts.

    www.live.com looks like it was programmed by DFS!

    > Conclusion: some of the search engines aren't quite as
    > smart as we'd like them to be..... ;-)

    Coders with an agenda.

    --
    There never was a chip, it is said, that Bill Gates couldn't slow down with a
    new batch of features.

  4. Re: [News] New LM_Sensors for Linux Released

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Linonut

    wrote
    on Tue, 20 May 2008 10:38:50 -0400
    :
    > * The Ghost In The Machine peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> Interestingly, typing in "Gentoo nvidia" into
    >> www.live.com (Microsoft's
    >> not-so-intuitively-named Live search service).
    >> coughs up bug #218178 -- a Gentoo bugzilla entry
    >> related to a Gentoo build problem. Bizarre.

    > It's even funnier than that. Here' the first page, summarized:
    >
    > Gentoo Bug 218178 - nvidia-drivers-169.12 fails to build against 2.6
    > Gentoo Bug 156978 - nvidia-drivers-1.0.8776 does not compile on gentoo ...
    > Gentoo Forums :: View topic - Nvidia problem, cannot load module
    > Gentoo Forums :: View topic - NVidia - Kernel - X.org Troubleshooting
    > Gentoo Linux Documentation -- NVIDIA binary graphics driver ...
    > Gentoo Linux Documentation -- Gentoo Linux nVidia Guide
    > Gentoo: NVIDIA binary graphics driver Privilege escalation ...
    > Gentoo: NVIDIA drivers Denial of Service - The Community's Center for ...
    > [gentoo-x86] Annotation of /x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers/ChangeLog
    > NVIDIA - Gentoo Linux Wiki
    >
    > Wotta riot! Mostly bugs and security alerts.
    >
    > www.live.com looks like it was programmed by DFS!
    >
    >> Conclusion: some of the search engines aren't quite as
    >> smart as we'd like them to be..... ;-)

    > Coders with an agenda.

    I'll admit to wondering -- but I've never implemented a crawler
    that looks for keywords, either.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Windows Vista. Because a BSOD is just so 20th century; why not
    try our new color changing variant?

  5. Re: [News] New LM_Sensors for Linux Released

    On Tue, 20 May 2008 09:28:28 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    >"AZ Nomad" wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 20 May 2008 07:23:31 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >>>* AZ Nomad peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>>Are you surprised, AZ?

    >>>As others have noted, the functionality you can track down to handle
    >>>that functionality can be bloated and unstable.

    >> It's funny how when the windows troll is confronted with proof that their
    >> OS is
    >> behind, they have to use the 'sour grapes' argument.

    >Funny how the liar "advocate" has to fabricate some imaginary story about
    >"sour grapes." You can show exactly where I posted this, yes?

    Some day when you achieve the mental maturity of a six year old, you'll
    understand that it is sometimes better to remain quiet.

  6. Re: [News] New LM_Sensors for Linux Released

    "AZ Nomad" wrote in message
    > On Tue, 20 May 2008 09:28:28 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >
    >>"AZ Nomad" wrote in message

    >>> It's funny how when the windows troll is confronted with proof that
    >>> their
    >>> OS is
    >>> behind, they have to use the 'sour grapes' argument.

    >>Funny how the liar "advocate" has to fabricate some imaginary story about
    >>"sour grapes." You can show exactly where I posted this, yes?

    > Some day when you achieve the mental maturity of a six year old, you'll
    > understand that it is sometimes better to remain quiet.

    So you are not able to prove your lies and resort to name calling. No
    surprise there. Like a typical "advocate" it's typical for you to make
    false claims and then run and hide when challenged to prove them.

  7. Re: [News] New LM_Sensors for Linux Released

    AZ Nomad wrote:
    > On Mon, 19 May 2008 12:02:39 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    >>> Here's a another software product that has caught up and surpassed windows
    >>> by a mile.
    >>>
    >>> With windows, you have to find a voltage/fanspeed/temp monitor program from the
    >>> motherboard maker and most have the look and feel of a preschool educational
    >>> toy. That is if you can find one at all. At last half of the time, one doesn't
    >>> exist.

    >> Yea....
    >> It's real difficult for you Linux loons.

    >> It comes on the DVD included with the Motherboard and in 3 clicks of a
    >> mouse it's installed.
    >> Oh it's for Windows BTW, like all the other stuff included with most
    >> hardware.

    > You ****ing idiot; clearly, you've never mastered English.
    >
    > You can't install what doesn't exist. On most motherboards, there is
    > no utility. There's no API for other applications.
    >

    > On linux:
    > install the package.
    > run sensors-detect
    > install sensor viewing client like gkrellm2
    > done.
    >

    > On windows:
    > visit the motherboard maker. oops. it isn't there.
    > visit the chipset maker. oops. it isn't there.
    >
    > on windows your **** out of luck.

    This is true, I had to wait five years before "they" decided to create a
    monitoring tool for my motherboard, and then it did indeed look like a
    plastic toy.

  8. Re: [News] New LM_Sensors for Linux Released

    On Wed, 21 May 2008 07:53:04 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "AZ Nomad" wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 20 May 2008 09:28:28 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >>
    >>>"AZ Nomad" wrote in message

    >>>Funny how the liar "advocate" has to fabricate some imaginary story about
    >>>"sour grapes." You can show exactly where I posted this, yes?

    >> Some day when you achieve the mental maturity of a six year old, you'll
    >> understand that it is sometimes better to remain quiet.

    > So you are not able to prove your lies and resort to name calling. No
    > surprise there. Like a typical "advocate" it's typical for you to make
    > false claims and then run and hide when challenged to prove them.

    Why do you think it's called LIEnix?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  9. Re: [News] New LM_Sensors for Linux Released

    AZLiar wrote:

    > You can't install what doesn't exist. On most motherboards, there is
    > no utility. There's no API for other applications.
    >

    > On windows:
    > visit the motherboard maker. oops. it isn't there.
    > visit the chipset maker. oops. it isn't there.
    >
    > on windows your **** out of luck.

    SpeedFan 4.34
    http://www.almico.com/speedfan434.exe

    HWMonitor
    http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php

    PCProbe2
    ftp://ftp.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/uti...37_XPVista.zip

    Gigabyte Windows Utility Manager
    http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/M...lity&FileID=47

    MSI DualCoreCenter
    http://download3.msi.com.tw/files/do...eCenter_MB.zip

    Abit uGuru 3.1X
    http://www.uabit.com/downloads/downl...guru/3.107.zip

    --
    "Microsoft has directed its anonymous propaganda agents to
    post hundreds of lies of the form "Linux freezes ...", which

  10. Re: [News] New LM_Sensors for Linux Released

    "Huck" wrote in message
    > AZLiar wrote:
    >

    >> You can't install what doesn't exist. On most motherboards, there is no
    >> utility. There's no API for other applications.
    >> On windows:
    >> visit the motherboard maker. oops. it isn't there.
    >> visit the chipset maker. oops. it isn't there.
    >>
    >> on windows your **** out of luck.
    >>

    > SpeedFan 4.34
    > http://www.almico.com/speedfan434.exe
    >
    > HWMonitor
    > http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php
    >
    > PCProbe2
    > ftp://ftp.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/uti...37_XPVista.zip
    >
    > Gigabyte Windows Utility Manager
    > http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/M...lity&FileID=47
    >
    > MSI DualCoreCenter
    > http://download3.msi.com.tw/files/do...eCenter_MB.zip
    >
    > Abit uGuru 3.1X
    > http://www.uabit.com/downloads/downl...guru/3.107.zip

    This is not a fair comparison because on Windows people simply download the
    app and run it.

    On linux people get to download special modules/packages, then they get to
    compile this themselves only after they download any dependent libraries
    (I2C_DRIVERID_ADM1024 undefined). Then they get to run sensors -detect,
    modprobe and all sorts of other great command line utilities. Then the linux
    users get to edit a few dozen config files and manually install, tweak and
    troubleshoot everything.

    The Windows version is clearly inferior.

    > --
    > "Microsoft has directed its anonymous propaganda agents to
    > post hundreds of lies of the form "Linux freezes ...", which
    > assert that all installations of Linux freeze. What each
    > of these lies actually reference is a single report of some
    > relatively rare problem, often found to be caused by bad memory
    > or other hardware. When it is due to a Linux software bug,
    > it's usually solved very quickly -- within ten hours of the
    > original help request in this case. The vast majority of
    > Linux users _never_ experience such problems." - Mark S Bilk

  11. Re: [News] New LM_Sensors for Linux Released

    On Wed, 21 May 2008 13:04:54 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "Huck" wrote in message
    >> AZLiar wrote:
    >>

    >>> You can't install what doesn't exist. On most motherboards, there is no
    >>> utility. There's no API for other applications.
    >>> On windows:
    >>> visit the motherboard maker. oops. it isn't there.
    >>> visit the chipset maker. oops. it isn't there.
    >>>
    >>> on windows your **** out of luck.
    >>>

    >> SpeedFan 4.34
    >> http://www.almico.com/speedfan434.exe
    >>
    >> HWMonitor
    >> http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php
    >>
    >> PCProbe2
    >> ftp://ftp.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/uti...37_XPVista.zip
    >>
    >> Gigabyte Windows Utility Manager
    >> http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/M...lity&FileID=47
    >>
    >> MSI DualCoreCenter
    >> http://download3.msi.com.tw/files/do...eCenter_MB.zip
    >>
    >> Abit uGuru 3.1X
    >> http://www.uabit.com/downloads/downl...guru/3.107.zip
    >>

    > This is not a fair comparison because on Windows people simply download the
    > app and run it.
    >
    > On linux people get to download special modules/packages, then they get to
    > compile this themselves only after they download any dependent libraries
    > (I2C_DRIVERID_ADM1024 undefined). Then they get to run sensors -detect,
    > modprobe and all sorts of other great command line utilities. Then the linux
    > users get to edit a few dozen config files and manually install, tweak and
    > troubleshoot everything.
    >
    > The Windows version is clearly inferior.

    The Linux loons love doing all that work!
    Why *use* an operating system and applications when you can *build* one?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  12. Re: [News] New LM_Sensors for Linux Released

    Ezekiel wrote:
    > This is not a fair comparison because on Windows people simply

    download the
    > app and run it.
    >
    > On linux people get to download special modules/packages, then they

    get to
    > compile this themselves only after they download any dependent libraries
    > (I2C_DRIVERID_ADM1024 undefined). Then they get to run sensors -detect,
    > modprobe and all sorts of other great command line utilities. Then

    the linux
    > users get to edit a few dozen config files and manually install,

    tweak and
    > troubleshoot everything.
    >
    > The Windows version is clearly inferior.

    Clearly.

    HOW TO: Install and configure lm-sensors
    Howto Install and Configure lm-sensors
    ========================

    1. Install lm-sensors using apt-get or the Synaptic GUI.

    sudo apt-get install lm-sensors

    2. Run the mkdev.sh script in the lm-sensors source. It is extacted below:

    a. Copy the script file below to a text editor and save it to a file
    named mkdev.sh.

    #!/bin/bash

    # Here you can set several defaults.

    # The number of devices to create (max: 256)
    NUMBER=32

    # The owner and group of the devices
    OUSER=root
    OGROUP=root
    # The mode of the devices
    MODE=600

    # This script doesn't need to be run if devfs is used
    if [ -r /proc/mounts ] ; then
    if grep -q "/dev devfs" /proc/mounts ; then
    echo "You do not need to run this script as your system uses devfs."
    exit;
    fi
    fi

    i=0;

    while [ $i -lt $NUMBER ] ; do
    echo /dev/i2c-$i
    mknod -m $MODE /dev/i2c-$i c 89 $i || exit
    chown "$OUSER:$OGROUP" /dev/i2c-$i || exit
    i=$[$i + 1]
    done
    #end of file

    b. Make the file executable:

    chmod 755 mkdev.sh

    c. Run mkdev.sh from the current directory

    sudo ./mkdev.sh

    3. Now run sensors-detect and answer YES to all YES/no questions. I
    generally use the ISA bus rather than the SMBus bus, your choice to this
    question!. At the end of the detection phase, a list of modules that
    needs to be loaded will displayed. You will need to write these down or
    print the list for the next steps.

    sudo sensors-detect

    Below is an example of results from sensors-detect:
    #*************************************************
    *****************************
    To make the sensors modules behave correctly, add these lines to
    /etc/modules:

    #----cut here----
    # I2C adapter drivers
    i2c-viapro
    i2c-isa
    # I2C chip drivers
    eeprom
    it87
    #----cut here----

    Then, run /etc/init.d/module-init-tools

    To make the sensors modules behave correctly, add these lines to
    /etc/modprobe.d/local and run update-modules:

    #----cut here----
    # I2C module options
    alias char-major-89 i2c-dev
    #----cut here----
    #*************************************************
    *******************************

    4. In this example, we add the modules in reverse order (order is
    critical!) in "/etc/modules".

    #************************************************* ***********************
    # /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
    #
    # This file should contain the names of kernel modules that are
    # to be loaded at boot time, one per line. Comments begin with
    # a "#", and everything on the line after them are ignored.

    psmouse
    mousedev
    ide-cd
    ide-disk
    ide-generic
    lp

    #For lm-sensors, i2c modules
    it87
    i2c-viapro
    i2c-isa

    #end of file!
    #************************************************* ****************

    4. I found that there was no "/etc/modprobe.d/local" and that "alias
    char-major-89 i2c-dev" was already listed in "/etc/modprobe.d/aliases".
    So, nothing to do here.

    5.Now load the modules manually using modprobe and update the dependencies.

    sudo modprobe i2c-sensor
    sudo modprobe i2c-viapro
    sudo modprobe i2c-isa
    sudo modprobe it87

    sudo depmod -a
    sudo update-modules

    6. Now test the sensor output using the lm-sensors utility "sensors".

    sensors

    it87-isa-0290
    Adapter: ISA adapter
    VCore 1: +1.57 V (min = +1.42 V, max = +1.57 V) ALARM
    VCore 2: +2.66 V (min = +2.40 V, max = +2.61 V) ALARM
    +3.3V: +6.59 V (min = +3.14 V, max = +3.46 V) ALARM
    +5V: +5.11 V (min = +4.76 V, max = +5.24 V)
    +12V: +11.78 V (min = +11.39 V, max = +12.61 V)
    -12V: -19.14 V (min = -12.63 V, max = -11.41 V) ALARM
    -5V: +0.77 V (min = -5.26 V, max = -4.77 V) ALARM
    Stdby: +5.00 V (min = +4.76 V, max = +5.24 V)
    VBat: +3.12 V
    fan1: 3668 RPM (min = 0 RPM, div =
    fan2: 0 RPM (min = 664 RPM, div = ALARM
    fan3: 0 RPM (min = 2657 RPM, div = 2) ALARM
    M/B Temp: +39C (low = +15C, high = +40C) sensor = thermistor
    CPU Temp: +36C (low = +15C, high = +45C) sensor = thermistor
    Temp3: +96C (low = +15C, high = +45C) sensor = diode

    7. Reboot Ubuntu and the sensors should now be detected during the boot
    process properly!

    8. The sensor output may be tweaked by editing the "/etc/sensors.conf"
    file. It is possible to correct inacurate scaling too. For details check
    "man sensors.conf.

    Somewhat easier is:

    #apt-get install lm-sensors
    #cd /dev && ./MAKEDEV i2c
    #modprobe i2c-dev
    #sensors-detect
    #modprobe -a i2c-viapro i2c-isa eeprom w83627hf
    modify /etc/sensors.conf
    #apt-get install hddtemp
    Install KSensors or similar frontend

    Now what about the LinoLiars who claim they *never* have to use the
    command line?

    --
    "Microsoft has directed its anonymous propaganda agents to
    post hundreds of lies of the form "Linux freezes ...", which
    assert that all installations of Linux freeze. What each
    of these lies actually reference is a single report of some
    relatively rare problem, often found to be caused by bad memory
    or other hardware. When it is due to a Linux software bug,
    it's usually solved very quickly -- within ten hours of the
    original help request in this case. The vast majority of
    Linux users _never_ experience such problems." - Mark S Bilk

  13. Re: [News] New LM_Sensors for Linux Released

    On Wed, 21 May 2008 13:20:23 -0500, Huck wrote:

> [...]

    > Temp3: +96C (low = +15C, high = +45C) sensor = diode
    > ************************************************** ********************
    >
    > 7. Reboot Ubuntu and the sensors should now be detected during the boot
    > process properly!
    >
    > 8. The sensor output may be tweaked by editing the "/etc/sensors.conf"
    > file. It is possible to correct inacurate scaling too. For details check
    > "man sensors.conf.
    >

    > Somewhat easier is:
    >
    > #apt-get install lm-sensors
    > #cd /dev && ./MAKEDEV i2c
    > #modprobe i2c-dev
    > #sensors-detect
    > #modprobe -a i2c-viapro i2c-isa eeprom w83627hf
    > modify /etc/sensors.conf
    > #apt-get install hddtemp
    > Install KSensors or similar frontend
    >

    > Now what about the LinoLiars who claim they *never* have to use the

    Never trust anything a LIEnix advocate tells you because many of them will
    LIE for LIEnix.

    It's absolutely comical how they can even remotely compare inserting a DVD
    that came with the motherboard and clicking on "Install MB Monitoring
    Program" which will take about 3 seconds to install, to the Linux
    variations.

    It's hysterical the length the LIEnix advocates will go to in order to
    *advocate* their precious LIEnix.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  14. Re: [News] New LM_Sensors for Linux Released

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe. Goldfarb

    wrote
    on Wed, 21 May 2008 14:46:21 -0400
    <6tz2i3v2c8ec$.e8sqxn5aywt0.dlg@40tude.net>:
    > On Wed, 21 May 2008 13:20:23 -0500, Huck wrote:
    >
    >> Ezekiel wrote:
    >> > This is not a fair comparison because on Windows people simply

    >> download the
    >> > app and run it.
    >> >
    >> > On linux people get to download special modules/packages, then they

    >> get to
    >> > compile this themselves only after they download any dependent libraries
    >> > (I2C_DRIVERID_ADM1024 undefined). Then they get to run sensors -detect,
    >> > modprobe and all sorts of other great command line utilities. Then

    >> the linux
    >> > users get to edit a few dozen config files and manually install,

    >> tweak and
    >> > troubleshoot everything.
    >> >
    >> > The Windows version is clearly inferior.
    >> >

    >> Clearly.

    >> HOW TO: Install and configure lm-sensors
    >> Howto Install and Configure lm-sensors
    >> ========================
    >>
    >> 1. Install lm-sensors using apt-get or the Synaptic GUI.
    >>
    >> sudo apt-get install lm-sensors

    [complex procedure snipped for brevity]

    >> Now what about the LinoLiars who claim they *never* have to use the
    >> command line?

    > Never trust anything a LIEnix advocate tells you because
    > many of them will LIE for LIEnix.
    >
    > It's absolutely comical how they can even remotely compare
    > inserting a DVD that came with the motherboard and clicking
    > on "Install MB Monitoring Program" which will take about
    > 3 seconds to install, to the Linux variations.

    Presumably, it would take less than that on a preinstalled system.

    > It's hysterical the length the LIEnix advocates will go to in order to
    > *advocate* their precious LIEnix.

    Your odd sense of humor is noted.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    /dev/signature: Resource temporarily unavailable

  15. Re: [News] New LM_Sensors for Linux Released

    On Wed, 21 May 2008 11:58:15 -0400, Moshe. Goldfarb wrote:

    (snip)

    > Why do you think it's called LIEnix?

    ... What's LIEnix?

    --
    Rick

  16. Re: [News] New LM_Sensors for Linux Released

    On Wed, 21 May 2008 13:18:03 -0400, Moshe. Goldfarb wrote:
    (snip)
    > The Linux loons love doing all that work! Why *use* an operating system
    > and applications when you can *build* one?

    ... and that's why you and your family continue to use Linux ...

    --
    Rick

  17. Re: [News] New LM_Sensors for Linux Released

    On Wed, 21 May 2008 18:03:16 -0500, Rick wrote:
    >On Wed, 21 May 2008 11:58:15 -0400, Moshe. Goldfarb wrote:

    >(snip)
    >>
    >> Why do you think it's called LIEnix?

    >.. What's LIEnix?

    What do you expect from flatfish? He has only made it to a mental
    maturity of that of a four year old.

  18. Re: [News] New LM_Sensors for Linux Released

    On Wed, 21 May 2008 18:03:51 -0500, Rick wrote:
    >On Wed, 21 May 2008 13:18:03 -0400, Moshe. Goldfarb wrote:
    >(snip)
    >> The Linux loons love doing all that work! Why *use* an operating system
    >> and applications when you can *build* one?

    >.. and that's why you and your family continue to use Linux ...

    flatfish would rather use an operating system where its creators simply
    don't give a **** and know that they can publish anything especially
    if the bloated buggy mountain of pig vomit means more hardware upgrades.

  19. Re: [News] New LM_Sensors for Linux Released

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Rick

    wrote
    on Wed, 21 May 2008 18:03:16 -0500
    :
    > On Wed, 21 May 2008 11:58:15 -0400, Moshe. Goldfarb wrote:
    >
    > (snip)
    >>
    >> Why do you think it's called LIEnix?

    > .. What's LIEnix?

    Ah, Moshe, go ahead. Point to a lie.

    You know you want to. :-P

    And be specific; I don't like generalities, as you've no
    doubt already noticed.

    BTW: for those so interested -- I use TuxOnIce on my
    laptop; lm-sensors is a non-issue for me. Admittedly,
    I'll have to remember how I constructed all this, and
    suspend *still* doesn't quite work (it hangs with a black
    screen on restart for some reason), though hibernate works
    fine now.

    I also have acpitools, which is adequate if one likes
    text utilities; I seem to have lost my Gnome battery
    monitor for some reason, though. (This may be because it
    was using APM. wmbattery can't figure out that I have
    ACPI in my kernel; xbatt and xbattbar use APM and are
    therefore deprecated. According to strace wmbattery looks
    for /dev/sonypi, which makes it specific to Sony laptops.
    Grrr.)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Conventional memory has to be one of the most UNconventional
    architectures I've seen in a computer system.

  20. Re: [News] New LM_Sensors for Linux Released

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, AZ Nomad

    wrote
    on Wed, 21 May 2008 19:24:13 -0500
    :
    > On Wed, 21 May 2008 18:03:16 -0500, Rick wrote:
    >>On Wed, 21 May 2008 11:58:15 -0400, Moshe. Goldfarb wrote:

    >>(snip)
    >>>
    >>> Why do you think it's called LIEnix?

    >>.. What's LIEnix?

    > What do you expect from flatfish? He has only made it to a mental
    > maturity of that of a four year old.

    I don't think this is flatfish; Moshe doesn't appear to
    have flatty's audio expertise. Also, he's now been using
    this particular nom de plume for a couple of months,
    whoever he is.

    As for 4 year olds, I would have to look (I'm certainly no
    expert in developmental physiology/psychology) but would
    think that they've barely mastered simple sentences and
    am not at all clear as to whether they've started on the
    simpler verb tenses. ;-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    /dev/signature/pedantry: Resource temporarily unavailable

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast