[News] FedEx Uses Free CMS Software, Open Source FUD Battled at Offices and Enterprises - Linux

  1. [News] FedEx Uses Free CMS Software, Open Source FUD Battled at Offices and Enterprises

    FedEx using Drupal

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | FedEx is using Drupal for their news website. Not bad because FedEx is ranked
    | in the top 100 of the Fortune 500.
    `----

    http://buytaert.net/fedex-using-drupal

    Enterprises grow more savvy over open source

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Open source icon Stormy Peters recently joined us for a live Network World
    | chat. Peters is co-founder of the non-profit GNOME Foundation and director of
    | community and partner programs for OpenLogic. Peters discussed why
    | enterprises don't know how much open source software they use, how newbies
    | and non-programmers can become involved in the movement and why she thinks
    | open source software is more secure than proprietary code.
    `----

    http://www.networkworld.com/chat/arc...fsrc=rss-linux

    Justifying Snort

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The goal of this Snort Report is to help you communicate the value of Snort
    | to those customers whose IT departments are resistant to the open source
    | tool. Although I focus on the value of Snort, you can apply this approach to
    | any similar product.
    `----

    http://searchsecuritychannel.techtar...313359,00.html

    Recent:

    Vista security credentials tarnished in malware survey

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "[Vista]has been hailed by Microsoft as the most secure version of Windows to
    | date. However, recent research conducted with statistics from over 1.4
    | million computers within the ThreatFire community has shown that Windows
    | Vista is more susceptible to malware than the eight year old Windows 2000
    | operating system, and only 37 per cent more secure than Windows XP," said
    | Simon Clausen, chief exec at PC Tools.
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05...alware_survey/

    Vista as Insecure as Windows 2000

    http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...dows_2000.html

    Insecurity blues: What I learned from my buggy code

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Is it easier to find and fix security bugs in Open Source/Free Software code
    | rather than proprietary code? My personal feeling on that is "yes". Being
    | able to examine the intent of the author by looking at the code and comments
    | makes it much easier to see where the intent and the code don't match. That's
    | where the security bugs live. Is Open Source/Free Software code safer than
    | proprietary code? I'd say "yes" to that also. Â* Â*
    `----

    http://news.zdnet.com/2424-9595_22-1...ml?tag=nl.e539

    Microsoft FUDwatch: Windows vs. Linux security

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft is adept at twisting the truth about how open source works. Every
    | person in that company knows or should know by now that significant
    | commercial interests are involved in open-source development, and especially
    | Linux. So when Mr. Edmonds refers to "volunteer developers," he's surely
    | creating a false strawman (just as Bill Hilf recently did). Â* Â*
    `----

    http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9...bj=TheOpenRoad

    Related:

    Skeletons in Microsoft’s Patch Day closet

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This is the first time I’ve seen Microsoft prominently admit to silently
    | fixing vulnerabilities in its bulletins — a controversial practice that
    | effectively reduces the number of publicly documented bug fixes (for those
    | keeping count) and affects patch management/deployment decisions. Â*
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=316

    Beware of undisclosed Microsoft patches

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Forget for a moment whether Microsoft is throwing off patch counts
    | that Microsoft brass use to compare its security record with those
    | of its competitors. What do you think of Redmond’s silent patching
    | practice?
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=527

    Microsoft is Counting Bugs Again

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Sorry, but Microsoft's self-evaluating security counting isn't really a
    | good accounting.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | The point: Don't count on security flaw counting. The real flaw is
    | the counting.
    `----

    Microsoft admits Vista screwed - report

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Vista SP1 is code named "Fiji", presumably after a pretty looking
    | island which is paralysed by coups.
    |
    | In a statement regarding the service pack Microsoft admits that
    | Vista has "high impact" problems.
    `----

  2. Re: [News] FedEx Uses Free CMS Software, Open Source FUD Battledat Offices and Enterprises

    > FedEx using Drupal
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | FedEx is using Drupal for their news website. Not bad because FedEx
    > | is ranked in the top 100 of the Fortune 500.
    > `----
    >
    > http://buytaert.net/fedex-using-drupal

    What? A fortune 500 company using Free Software?

    Oh wait ... that's very common.

    Next!

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    01:20:28 up 150 days, 21:56, 6 users, load average: 0.21, 0.17, 0.17

  3. Re: [News] FedEx Uses Free CMS Software, Open Source FUD Battled at Offices and Enterprises

    Homer espoused:

    >> FedEx using Drupal
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | FedEx is using Drupal for their news website. Not bad because FedEx
    >> | is ranked in the top 100 of the Fortune 500.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://buytaert.net/fedex-using-drupal

    > What? A fortune 500 company using Free Software?
    >
    > Oh wait ... that's very common.
    >
    > Next!

    shhh... don't wake up doofy

  4. Re: [News] FedEx Uses Free CMS Software, Open Source FUD Battled at Offices and Enterprises

    Mark Kent wrote:
    > Homer espoused:
    >>
    >>> FedEx using Drupal
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://buytaert.net/fedex-using-drupal

    >> What? A fortune 500 company using Free Software?
    >>
    >> Oh wait ... that's very common.
    >>
    >> Next!
    >>

    > shhh... don't wake up doofy

    If I do wakeup, will I find you using and promoting and endorsing
    proprietary systems by day, but pretending to advocate Linux and OSS by
    night?

    Guess I'm awake now...

+ Reply to Thread