[News] Advice for Escaping Windows in Favour of Linux - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Advice for Escaping Windows in Favour of Linux - Linux ; How to Quit Windows and cope with Windows Withdrawal Syndrome ,----[ Quote ] | Now that you have decided to quit Windows for good and to switch over to a | Desktop Linux Distribution, following these basic steps will help ...

  1. [News] Advice for Escaping Windows in Favour of Linux

    How to Quit Windows and cope with Windows Withdrawal Syndrome

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Now that you have decided to quit Windows for good and to switch over to a
    | Desktop Linux Distribution, following these basic steps will help you a lot.
    | Initially, a basic knowledge about GNU/Linux is important. What is it really
    | and how does it differ from Windows?
    `----

    http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=307

  2. Re: [News] Advice for Escaping Windows in Favour of Linux

    wrote
    on Tue, 25 Sep 2007 16:30:29 +0100
    <4568605.onuEIfVgFJ@schestowitz.com>:
    > How to Quit Windows and cope with Windows Withdrawal Syndrome
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Now that you have decided to quit Windows for good and
    > | to switch over to a Desktop Linux Distribution, following
    > | these basic steps will help you a lot. Initially, a basic
    > | knowledge about GNU/Linux is important. What is it really
    > | and how does it differ from Windows?
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=307

    Heh. A few notes.

    [1] Intel, if I'm not totally mistaken, is on record as
    supporting Linux. Admittedly, a quick Google coughed
    up only a video and a wireless driver or two, and this
    three-year-old article:

    http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-5161041.html

    A search on Intel's website also coughed up their C++ compiler,
    a performance analyzer (VTune(tm)), a math kernel library
    (not sure if that's kernel as in Linux, kernel as in core,
    or kernel as in kerning transformations), a Fortran compiler,
    a threading library, and a whole lot of other stuff -- 12900
    in all, if the count's accurate.

    Kudos to Intel.

    [2] Drafts aren't hard on Linux, even if one is using gedit.
    CUPS is also very capable, if one wants to print them later.

    [3] I'm not sure I like the notion of destroying Windows
    install CDs (I'm a pack rat; I admit it :-) )...the
    temptation is there, admittedly, but they'll also grow
    stale anyway. I have some Win95 stuff flying about, and
    even older Win3.1 installation packs. Do I use them? No.
    Still, for those of a certain mindset, it's probably best
    to put them out of reach, and if that involves destroying
    them, so be it.

    [4] "Back up and format" is an interesting requirement,
    but how does one restore later on? The article could be
    clearer on this. The good news: anyone familiar with DVD
    or CD burning software should be able to burn a DVD or CD
    that Linux can read, and I would be surprised if Linux
    can't read the Microsoft extensions (Joliet is the only
    one I'm somewhat familiar with). Or one can use ancient
    1.44 MB floppies, or even tape drives, in a pinch.

    [5] As usual, the author(s) confuse Linux, the kernel, with
    an arbitrary Linux-based distribution. *shrug*

    [6] There is no mention of how to avoid Windows in
    new equipment, but that's probably beyond the scope of
    the article anyway. One of Microsoft's more insidious
    "innovations", after all, is the bundling of Windows
    on prepackaged PCs. Even if one later wipes Windows,
    Microsoft still gets paid.

    (lucky bastards :-) )

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Linux. Because life's too short for a buggy OS.

  3. Re: Advice for Escaping Windows in Favour of Linux

    On Sep 25, 4:58 pm, The Ghost In The Machine
    wrote:
    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
    >
    > wrote
    > on Tue, 25 Sep 2007 16:30:29 +0100
    > <4568605.onuEIfV...@schestowitz.com>:
    >
    > > How to Quit Windows and cope with Windows Withdrawal Syndrome

    > > ,----[ Quote ]
    > > | Now that you have decided to quit Windows for good and
    > > | to switch over to a Desktop Linux Distribution, following
    > > | these basic steps will help you a lot. Initially, a basic
    > > | knowledge about GNU/Linux is important. What is it really
    > > | and how does it differ from Windows?
    > > `----

    > >http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=307

    > Heh. A few notes.
    >
    > [1] Intel, if I'm not totally mistaken, is on record as
    > supporting Linux. Admittedly, a quick Google coughed
    > up only a video and a wireless driver or two, and this
    > three-year-old article:
    >
    > http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-5161041.html
    >
    > A search on Intel's website also coughed up their C++ compiler,
    > a performance analyzer (VTune(tm)), a math kernel library
    > (not sure if that's kernel as in Linux, kernel as in core,
    > or kernel as in kerning transformations), a Fortran compiler,
    > a threading library, and a whole lot of other stuff -- 12900
    > in all, if the count's accurate.
    >
    > Kudos to Intel.
    >
    > [2] Drafts aren't hard on Linux, even if one is using gedit.
    > CUPS is also very capable, if one wants to print them later.
    >
    > [3] I'm not sure I like the notion of destroying Windows
    > install CDs (I'm a pack rat; I admit it :-) )...the
    > temptation is there, admittedly, but they'll also grow
    > stale anyway. I have some Win95 stuff flying about, and
    > even older Win3.1 installation packs. Do I use them? No.
    > Still, for those of a certain mindset, it's probably best
    > to put them out of reach, and if that involves destroying
    > them, so be it.
    >
    > [4] "Back up and format" is an interesting requirement,
    > but how does one restore later on? The article could be
    > clearer on this. The good news: anyone familiar with DVD
    > or CD burning software should be able to burn a DVD or CD
    > that Linux can read, and I would be surprised if Linux
    > can't read the Microsoft extensions (Joliet is the only
    > one I'm somewhat familiar with). Or one can use ancient
    > 1.44 MB floppies, or even tape drives, in a pinch.
    >
    > [5] As usual, the author(s) confuse Linux, the kernel, with
    > an arbitrary Linux-based distribution. *shrug*
    >
    > [6] There is no mention of how to avoid Windows in
    > new equipment, but that's probably beyond the scope of
    > the article anyway. One of Microsoft's more insidious
    > "innovations", after all, is the bundling of Windows
    > on prepackaged PCs. Even if one later wipes Windows,
    > Microsoft still gets paid.
    >
    > (lucky bastards :-) )
    >
    > --
    > #191, ewi...@earthlink.net
    > Linux. Because life's too short for a buggy OS.

    ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

    Has anyone ever told you Ghost In The Machine, that you are
    exceedingly

    B---O----R----I----N----G !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Why must you write a dissertation with every response?

  4. Re: [News] Advice for Escaping Windows in Favour of Linux

    ____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Tuesday 25 September 2007 21:58 : \____

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
    >
    > wrote
    > on Tue, 25 Sep 2007 16:30:29 +0100
    > <4568605.onuEIfVgFJ@schestowitz.com>:
    >> How to Quit Windows and cope with Windows Withdrawal Syndrome
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | Now that you have decided to quit Windows for good and
    >> | to switch over to a Desktop Linux Distribution, following
    >> | these basic steps will help you a lot. Initially, a basic
    >> | knowledge about GNU/Linux is important. What is it really
    >> | and how does it differ from Windows?
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=307

    > Heh. A few notes.
    >
    > [1] Intel, if I'm not totally mistaken, is on record as
    > supporting Linux. Admittedly, a quick Google coughed
    > up only a video and a wireless driver or two, and this
    > three-year-old article:
    >
    > http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-5161041.html
    >
    > A search on Intel's website also coughed up their C++ compiler,
    > a performance analyzer (VTune(tm)), a math kernel library
    > (not sure if that's kernel as in Linux, kernel as in core,
    > or kernel as in kerning transformations), a Fortran compiler,
    > a threading library, and a whole lot of other stuff -- 12900
    > in all, if the count's accurate.
    >
    > Kudos to Intel.
    >
    > [2] Drafts aren't hard on Linux, even if one is using gedit.
    > CUPS is also very capable, if one wants to print them later.
    >
    > [3] I'm not sure I like the notion of destroying Windows
    > install CDs (I'm a pack rat; I admit it :-) )...the
    > temptation is there, admittedly, but they'll also grow
    > stale anyway. I have some Win95 stuff flying about, and
    > even older Win3.1 installation packs. Do I use them? No.
    > Still, for those of a certain mindset, it's probably best
    > to put them out of reach, and if that involves destroying
    > them, so be it.

    I suppose the following is out of the question then:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcOuwXTOHy4

    Or one of these assorted BSD 'rituals' for SCO...

    http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...&search=Search

    Skip the first (although it's funny too and I mentioned it in BN.com last
    year).

    > [4] "Back up and format" is an interesting requirement,
    > but how does one restore later on? The article could be
    > clearer on this. The good news: anyone familiar with DVD
    > or CD burning software should be able to burn a DVD or CD
    > that Linux can read, and I would be surprised if Linux
    > can't read the Microsoft extensions (Joliet is the only
    > one I'm somewhat familiar with). Or one can use ancient
    > 1.44 MB floppies, or even tape drives, in a pinch.
    >
    > [5] As usual, the author(s) confuse Linux, the kernel, with
    > an arbitrary Linux-based distribution. *shrug*
    >
    > [6] There is no mention of how to avoid Windows in
    > new equipment, but that's probably beyond the scope of
    > the article anyway. One of Microsoft's more insidious
    > "innovations", after all, is the bundling of Windows
    > on prepackaged PCs. Even if one later wipes Windows,
    > Microsoft still gets paid.
    >
    > (lucky bastards :-) )

    Bell used to have similar schemes going on. That's how you build a monopolistic
    framework and a cash machine. If the government does not intervene, something
    is rotten (or someone is paid).

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | #ff0000 Hot Chilli Peppers
    22:05:01 up 15 days, 20:11, 5 users, load average: 0.98, 1.16, 1.24

  5. Re: [News] Advice for Escaping Windows in Favour of Linux

    wrote
    on Tue, 25 Sep 2007 22:16:28 +0100
    <8165936.lm8zQlpK5L@schestowitz.com>:
    > ____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Tuesday 25 September 2007 21:58 : \____
    >
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
    >>
    >> wrote
    >> on Tue, 25 Sep 2007 16:30:29 +0100
    >> <4568605.onuEIfVgFJ@schestowitz.com>:
    >>> How to Quit Windows and cope with Windows Withdrawal Syndrome
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=307

    >> Heh. A few notes.
    >>
    >> [1] Intel, if I'm not totally mistaken, is on record as
    >> supporting Linux. Admittedly, a quick Google coughed
    >> up only a video and a wireless driver or two, and this
    >> three-year-old article:
    >>
    >> http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-5161041.html
    >>
    >> A search on Intel's website also coughed up their C++ compiler,
    >> a performance analyzer (VTune(tm)), a math kernel library
    >> (not sure if that's kernel as in Linux, kernel as in core,
    >> or kernel as in kerning transformations), a Fortran compiler,
    >> a threading library, and a whole lot of other stuff -- 12900
    >> in all, if the count's accurate.
    >>
    >> Kudos to Intel.
    >>
    >> [2] Drafts aren't hard on Linux, even if one is using gedit.
    >> CUPS is also very capable, if one wants to print them later.
    >>
    >> [3] I'm not sure I like the notion of destroying Windows
    >> install CDs (I'm a pack rat; I admit it :-) )...the
    >> temptation is there, admittedly, but they'll also grow
    >> stale anyway. I have some Win95 stuff flying about, and
    >> even older Win3.1 installation packs. Do I use them? No.
    >> Still, for those of a certain mindset, it's probably best
    >> to put them out of reach, and if that involves destroying
    >> them, so be it.

    > I suppose the following is out of the question then:
    >
    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcOuwXTOHy4

    That was absolutely pathetic. All it did was tip over. :-)
    Proof once again that Linux is very robust, even when
    hit with a shotgun. (Or a lawsuit.)

    This one might be more interesting.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVbf9tOGwno

    Easy installation guaranteed! Too bad the media doesn't
    survive the installation process.

    > Or one of these assorted BSD 'rituals' for SCO...
    >
    > http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...&search=Search
    >
    > Skip the first (although it's funny too and I mentioned it in BN.com last
    > year).

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ytEUWz4EQQ

    is ... interesting. :-)

    The next three apparently are various attempts to exorcise SCO:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhtjCWwSqmU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLDLdl4ytoY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ3bpCh4kTk

    The second one is the longest. Dunno if they worked or not;
    the courts are arguably more effective. :-)

    >> [4] "Back up and format" is an interesting requirement,
    >> but how does one restore later on? The article could be
    >> clearer on this. The good news: anyone familiar with DVD
    >> or CD burning software should be able to burn a DVD or CD
    >> that Linux can read, and I would be surprised if Linux
    >> can't read the Microsoft extensions (Joliet is the only
    >> one I'm somewhat familiar with). Or one can use ancient
    >> 1.44 MB floppies, or even tape drives, in a pinch.
    >>
    >> [5] As usual, the author(s) confuse Linux, the kernel, with
    >> an arbitrary Linux-based distribution. *shrug*
    >>
    >> [6] There is no mention of how to avoid Windows in
    >> new equipment, but that's probably beyond the scope of
    >> the article anyway. One of Microsoft's more insidious
    >> "innovations", after all, is the bundling of Windows
    >> on prepackaged PCs. Even if one later wipes Windows,
    >> Microsoft still gets paid.
    >>
    >> (lucky bastards :-) )

    > Bell used to have similar schemes going on. That's how you
    > build a monopolistic framework and a cash machine. If the
    > government does not intervene, something
    > is rotten (or someone is paid).

    Microsoft "innovation" at its best.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C++ Programming Idea #7878218:
    class C { private: virtual void stupid() = 0; };

  6. Re: [News] Advice for Escaping Windows in Favour of Linux

    ____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Wednesday 26 September 2007 00:35 : \____

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
    >
    > wrote
    > on Tue, 25 Sep 2007 22:16:28 +0100
    > <8165936.lm8zQlpK5L@schestowitz.com>:
    >> ____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Tuesday 25 September 2007 21:58 : \____
    >>
    >>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
    >>>
    >>> wrote
    >>> on Tue, 25 Sep 2007 16:30:29 +0100

    >>> Heh. A few notes.
    >>>
    >>> [1] Intel, if I'm not totally mistaken, is on record as
    >>> supporting Linux. Admittedly, a quick Google coughed
    >>> up only a video and a wireless driver or two, and this
    >>> three-year-old article:
    >>>
    >>> http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-5161041.html
    >>>
    >>> A search on Intel's website also coughed up their C++ compiler,
    >>> a performance analyzer (VTune(tm)), a math kernel library
    >>> (not sure if that's kernel as in Linux, kernel as in core,
    >>> or kernel as in kerning transformations), a Fortran compiler,
    >>> a threading library, and a whole lot of other stuff -- 12900
    >>> in all, if the count's accurate.
    >>>
    >>> Kudos to Intel.
    >>>
    >>> [2] Drafts aren't hard on Linux, even if one is using gedit.
    >>> CUPS is also very capable, if one wants to print them later.
    >>>
    >>> [3] I'm not sure I like the notion of destroying Windows
    >>> install CDs (I'm a pack rat; I admit it :-) )...the
    >>> temptation is there, admittedly, but they'll also grow
    >>> stale anyway. I have some Win95 stuff flying about, and
    >>> even older Win3.1 installation packs. Do I use them? No.
    >>> Still, for those of a certain mindset, it's probably best
    >>> to put them out of reach, and if that involves destroying
    >>> them, so be it.

    >> I suppose the following is out of the question then:
    >>
    >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcOuwXTOHy4

    > That was absolutely pathetic. All it did was tip over. :-)
    > Proof once again that Linux is very robust, even when
    > hit with a shotgun. (Or a lawsuit.)

    Watch Xandrosoft GNU/Linux:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8TjLIYxP1A

    The shooting begins a few minutes after the stuff. Well overboard.

    > This one might be more interesting.
    >
    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVbf9tOGwno
    >
    > Easy installation guaranteed! Too bad the media doesn't
    > survive the installation process.
    >

    >> Or one of these assorted BSD 'rituals' for SCO...
    >>
    >> http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...&search=Search
    >>
    >> Skip the first (although it's funny too and I mentioned it in BN.com last
    >> year).

    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ytEUWz4EQQ
    >
    > is ... interesting. :-)
    >
    > The next three apparently are various attempts to exorcise SCO:
    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhtjCWwSqmU
    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLDLdl4ytoY
    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ3bpCh4kTk
    >
    > The second one is the longest. Dunno if they worked or not;
    > the courts are arguably more effective. :-)

    Haha. I couldn't manage to find Judge Kimball among those in this group.

    >>> [4] "Back up and format" is an interesting requirement,
    >>> but how does one restore later on? The article could be
    >>> clearer on this. The good news: anyone familiar with DVD
    >>> or CD burning software should be able to burn a DVD or CD
    >>> that Linux can read, and I would be surprised if Linux
    >>> can't read the Microsoft extensions (Joliet is the only
    >>> one I'm somewhat familiar with). Or one can use ancient
    >>> 1.44 MB floppies, or even tape drives, in a pinch.
    >>>
    >>> [5] As usual, the author(s) confuse Linux, the kernel, with
    >>> an arbitrary Linux-based distribution. *shrug*
    >>>
    >>> [6] There is no mention of how to avoid Windows in
    >>> new equipment, but that's probably beyond the scope of
    >>> the article anyway. One of Microsoft's more insidious
    >>> "innovations", after all, is the bundling of Windows
    >>> on prepackaged PCs. Even if one later wipes Windows,
    >>> Microsoft still gets paid.
    >>>
    >>> (lucky bastards :-) )

    >> Bell used to have similar schemes going on. That's how you
    >> build a monopolistic framework and a cash machine. If the
    >> government does not intervene, something
    >> is rotten (or someone is paid).
    >>

    > Microsoft "innovation" at its best.

    Innovative strategies. Buy our your competition, hire companies to sue your
    competitors, deploy lobbyists in Washington, start smear campaigns, change the
    US patent system, change DRM circumvention laws around the world, sign deals
    with opponents in order to have them implement your technology, bribe votes to
    get support, have PR agents send out letters on behalf of dead people...

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Ballmer O/S - so furious it may crash

  7. Re: [News] Advice for Escaping Windows in Favour of Linux

    wrote
    on Wed, 26 Sep 2007 05:58:00 +0100
    <2168746.uKGVPo82Xf@schestowitz.com>:
    > ____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Wednesday 26 September 2007 00:35 : \____
    >
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
    >>
    >> wrote
    >> on Tue, 25 Sep 2007 22:16:28 +0100
    >> <8165936.lm8zQlpK5L@schestowitz.com>:
    >>> ____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Tuesday 25 September 2007 21:58 : \____

    >>> I suppose the following is out of the question then:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcOuwXTOHy4

    >> That was absolutely pathetic. All it did was tip over. :-)
    >> Proof once again that Linux is very robust, even when
    >> hit with a shotgun. (Or a lawsuit.)

    > Watch Xandrosoft GNU/Linux:
    >
    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8TjLIYxP1A
    >
    > The shooting begins a few minutes after the stuff. Well overboard.

    Now we're talking. :-) Nice shotgun (generally my
    favorite weapon in DOOM, Unreal, Quake, Nexuiz, ...).

    >> This one might be more interesting.
    >>
    >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVbf9tOGwno
    >>
    >> Easy installation guaranteed! Too bad the media doesn't
    >> survive the installation process.
    >>

    >>> Or one of these assorted BSD 'rituals' for SCO...
    >>>
    >>> http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...&search=Search
    >>>
    >>> Skip the first (although it's funny too and I mentioned it in BN.com last
    >>> year).

    >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ytEUWz4EQQ
    >>
    >> is ... interesting. :-)
    >>
    >> The next three apparently are various attempts to exorcise SCO:
    >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhtjCWwSqmU
    >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLDLdl4ytoY
    >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ3bpCh4kTk
    >>
    >> The second one is the longest. Dunno if they worked or not;
    >> the courts are arguably more effective. :-)

    > Haha. I couldn't manage to find Judge Kimball among those in this group.

    >>> Bell used to have similar schemes going on. That's how you
    >>> build a monopolistic framework and a cash machine. If the
    >>> government does not intervene, something
    >>> is rotten (or someone is paid).
    >>>

    >> Microsoft "innovation" at its best.

    > Innovative strategies. Buy our your competition, hire companies
    > to sue your competitors, deploy lobbyists in Washington, start
    > smear campaigns, change the US patent system, change DRM
    > circumvention laws around the world, sign deals with opponents
    > in order to have them implement your technology, bribe votes to
    > get support, have PR agents send out letters on behalf of dead people...

    Hm. With all of this going on, where do they find time to
    actually develop Vista?

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Linux. Because life's too short for a buggy OS.