Stallman: boycott Amazon - Linux

This is a discussion on Stallman: boycott Amazon - Linux ; "My latest project is the boycott of Amazon, because they are using a software patent to commit aggression." http://www.resonancepub.com/rstallman.htm Gee, I wish I had known! Earlier this week I ordered $300 worth of stuff from Amazon, including some proprietary software ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 51

  1. Stallman: boycott Amazon

    "My latest project is the boycott of Amazon, because they are using a
    software patent to commit aggression."

    http://www.resonancepub.com/rstallman.htm

    Gee, I wish I had known!

    Earlier this week I ordered $300 worth of stuff from Amazon, including some
    proprietary software (Access 2007 upgrade), a patent-encumbered digital
    camera (A590IS), and Gourmet magazine (maybe if I eat 3 servings of every
    recipe in each month's magazine I can get as fat as Stallman?).

  2. Re: Stallman: boycott Amazon

    "DFS" writes:

    > "My latest project is the boycott of Amazon, because they are using a
    > software patent to commit aggression."
    >
    > http://www.resonancepub.com/rstallman.htm
    >

    > Gee, I wish I had known!
    >
    > Earlier this week I ordered $300 worth of stuff from Amazon, including some
    > proprietary software (Access 2007 upgrade), a patent-encumbered digital
    > camera (A590IS), and Gourmet magazine (maybe if I eat 3 servings of every
    > recipe in each month's magazine I can get as fat as Stallman?).

    They chickened out:

    ,----

    `----

    --
    Anyone here knowledgable in matters of water fowl? If you
    walk through a park, and a goose starts following you... and

  3. Re: Stallman: boycott Amazon

    On Sat, 17 May 2008 10:14:04 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > "My latest project is the boycott of Amazon, because they are using a
    > software patent to commit aggression."
    >
    > http://www.resonancepub.com/rstallman.htm
    >

    > Gee, I wish I had known!
    >
    > Earlier this week I ordered $300 worth of stuff from Amazon, including some
    > proprietary software (Access 2007 upgrade), a patent-encumbered digital
    > camera (A590IS), and Gourmet magazine (maybe if I eat 3 servings of every
    > recipe in each month's magazine I can get as fat as Stallman?).

    Stallman has gone off the deep end and the Linux community should quietly
    and politely ask him to leave and never come back as he is doing more harm
    than good.

    Kind of like Roy Schestowitz is doing.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  4. Re: Stallman: boycott Amazon

    Moshe Goldfarb writes:

    > On Sat, 17 May 2008 10:14:04 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> "My latest project is the boycott of Amazon, because they are using a
    >> software patent to commit aggression."
    >>
    >> http://www.resonancepub.com/rstallman.htm
    >>

    >> Gee, I wish I had known!
    >>
    >> Earlier this week I ordered $300 worth of stuff from Amazon, including some
    >> proprietary software (Access 2007 upgrade), a patent-encumbered digital
    >> camera (A590IS), and Gourmet magazine (maybe if I eat 3 servings of every
    >> recipe in each month's magazine I can get as fat as Stallman?).

    > Stallman has gone off the deep end and the Linux community should quietly
    > and politely ask him to leave and never come back as he is doing more harm
    > than good.
    >
    > Kind of like Roy Schestowitz is doing.

    At least Stallman did something - namely Emacs. The most powerful
    productivity tool for programmers ever invented.

    --
    - "Thats what I have been saying for 5 years. Consumers are tired, they
    want something new and more exciting."

  5. Re: Stallman: boycott Amazon

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

    ! Don Zeigler

  6. Re: Stallman: boycott Amazon

    On Sat, 17 May 2008 17:29:12 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb writes:
    >
    >> On Sat, 17 May 2008 10:14:04 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >>
    >>> "My latest project is the boycott of Amazon, because they are using a
    >>> software patent to commit aggression."
    >>>
    >>> http://www.resonancepub.com/rstallman.htm
    >>>

    >>> Gee, I wish I had known!
    >>>
    >>> Earlier this week I ordered $300 worth of stuff from Amazon, including some
    >>> proprietary software (Access 2007 upgrade), a patent-encumbered digital
    >>> camera (A590IS), and Gourmet magazine (maybe if I eat 3 servings of every
    >>> recipe in each month's magazine I can get as fat as Stallman?).

    >> Stallman has gone off the deep end and the Linux community should quietly
    >> and politely ask him to leave and never come back as he is doing more harm
    >> than good.
    >>
    >> Kind of like Roy Schestowitz is doing.

    > At least Stallman did something - namely Emacs. The most powerful
    > productivity tool for programmers ever invented.

    Absolutely, but you know what they say about genius....
    It's time to put him to good use behind the scenes and keep him far from
    the public eye.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  7. Re: Stallman: boycott Amazon

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

    ! Don Zeigler

  8. Re: Stallman: boycott Amazon

    On Sat, 17 May 2008 10:14:04 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > "My latest project is the boycott of Amazon, because they are using a
    > software patent to commit aggression."
    >
    > http://www.resonancepub.com/rstallman.htm
    >

    > Gee, I wish I had known!
    >
    > Earlier this week I ordered $300 worth of stuff from Amazon, including
    > some proprietary software (Access 2007 upgrade), a patent-encumbered
    > digital camera (A590IS), and Gourmet magazine (maybe if I eat 3 servings
    > of every recipe in each month's magazine I can get as fat as Stallman?).

    Why are you such an asshole?

    --
    Rick

  9. Re: Stallman: boycott Amazon

    In article ,
    "DFS" wrote:

    > Gee, I wish I had known!
    >
    > Earlier this week I ordered $300 worth of stuff from Amazon, including some
    > proprietary software (Access 2007 upgrade), a patent-encumbered digital
    > camera (A590IS), and Gourmet magazine (maybe if I eat 3 servings of every
    > recipe in each month's magazine I can get as fat as Stallman?).

    It wouldn't have mattered, as that boycott ended something like 6 years
    ago.

    I think his boycott of Caterpillar is still on, though, so next time you
    are buying farm or construction equipment, you can favor Caterpillar if
    you want to oppose Stallman. :-)

    (His beef with Caterpillar is that Israel uses Caterpillar bulldozers in
    military projects and construction projects that Stallman doesn't like).

    --
    --Tim Smith

  10. Re: Stallman: boycott Amazon

    On Sat, 17 May 2008 12:17:25 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:

    > In article ,
    > "DFS" wrote:
    >>
    >> Gee, I wish I had known!
    >>
    >> Earlier this week I ordered $300 worth of stuff from Amazon, including some
    >> proprietary software (Access 2007 upgrade), a patent-encumbered digital
    >> camera (A590IS), and Gourmet magazine (maybe if I eat 3 servings of every
    >> recipe in each month's magazine I can get as fat as Stallman?).

    > It wouldn't have mattered, as that boycott ended something like 6 years
    > ago.
    >
    > I think his boycott of Caterpillar is still on, though, so next time you
    > are buying farm or construction equipment, you can favor Caterpillar if
    > you want to oppose Stallman. :-)
    >
    > (His beef with Caterpillar is that Israel uses Caterpillar bulldozers in
    > military projects and construction projects that Stallman doesn't like).

    He sounds like he is a few quarts low.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  11. Re: Stallman: boycott Amazon

    Tim Smith wrote:
    > In article ,
    > "DFS" wrote:
    >>
    >> Gee, I wish I had known!
    >>
    >> Earlier this week I ordered $300 worth of stuff from Amazon,
    >> including some proprietary software (Access 2007 upgrade), a
    >> patent-encumbered digital camera (A590IS), and Gourmet magazine
    >> (maybe if I eat 3 servings of every recipe in each month's magazine
    >> I can get as fat as Stallman?).

    > It wouldn't have mattered, as that boycott ended something like 6
    > years ago.

    I figured it was old, but the page didn't have a date and I didn't want to
    waste time looking.

    I remember last time I checked his personal webpage he had at least a dozen
    silly boycotts/action items listed. He's deeply twisted and miserable and
    broke. That's what OSS will do to you.

    > I think his boycott of Caterpillar is still on, though, so next time
    > you are buying farm or construction equipment, you can favor
    > Caterpillar if you want to oppose Stallman. :-)
    >
    > (His beef with Caterpillar is that Israel uses Caterpillar bulldozers
    > in military projects and construction projects that Stallman doesn't
    > like).

    But no boycott of Israel itself, or Israeli products? More hypocrisy from a
    "free source" advocate.

  12. Re: Stallman: boycott Amazon

    Tim Smith writes:

    > In article ,
    > "DFS" wrote:
    >>
    >> Gee, I wish I had known!
    >>
    >> Earlier this week I ordered $300 worth of stuff from Amazon, including some
    >> proprietary software (Access 2007 upgrade), a patent-encumbered digital
    >> camera (A590IS), and Gourmet magazine (maybe if I eat 3 servings of every
    >> recipe in each month's magazine I can get as fat as Stallman?).

    > It wouldn't have mattered, as that boycott ended something like 6 years
    > ago.
    >
    > I think his boycott of Caterpillar is still on, though, so next time you
    > are buying farm or construction equipment, you can favor Caterpillar if
    > you want to oppose Stallman. :-)
    >
    > (His beef with Caterpillar is that Israel uses Caterpillar bulldozers in
    > military projects and construction projects that Stallman doesn't
    > like).

    Which is why he is no good as a spokesperson. His real life politics
    mess with his "IT agenda" politics. It has all gone to his head. Having
    said that, any man who can envision and bring to fruition a masterpiece
    like Emacs has something going for him. All Roy Spamowitz has is this:

    http://www.iuron.com

    Be sure to check out the spec and the UI "preview".

    --
    BOY is Microsoft doomed! LOL!

  13. Re: Stallman: boycott Amazon

    On Sat, 17 May 2008 23:47:24 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Tim Smith writes:
    >
    >> In article ,
    >> "DFS" wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Gee, I wish I had known!
    >>>
    >>> Earlier this week I ordered $300 worth of stuff from Amazon, including some
    >>> proprietary software (Access 2007 upgrade), a patent-encumbered digital
    >>> camera (A590IS), and Gourmet magazine (maybe if I eat 3 servings of every
    >>> recipe in each month's magazine I can get as fat as Stallman?).

    >> It wouldn't have mattered, as that boycott ended something like 6 years
    >> ago.
    >>
    >> I think his boycott of Caterpillar is still on, though, so next time you
    >> are buying farm or construction equipment, you can favor Caterpillar if
    >> you want to oppose Stallman. :-)
    >>
    >> (His beef with Caterpillar is that Israel uses Caterpillar bulldozers in
    >> military projects and construction projects that Stallman doesn't
    >> like).

    > Which is why he is no good as a spokesperson. His real life politics
    > mess with his "IT agenda" politics. It has all gone to his head. Having
    > said that, any man who can envision and bring to fruition a masterpiece
    > like Emacs has something going for him. All Roy Spamowitz has is this:
    >
    > http://www.iuron.com
    >
    > Be sure to check out the spec and the UI "preview".

    Seeing as Spamowitz couldn't figure out how to filter on a person instead
    of an entire ISP, I have my doubts about his programming abilities.

    Willy Filters had to help him out.

    BTW I thought that URINE thing was some kind of joke when I tried it.
    He has to be kidding?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  14. Re: Stallman: boycott Amazon

    On Sat, 17 May 2008 12:06:08 -0500, Rick wrote:

    > On Sat, 17 May 2008 10:14:04 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> "My latest project is the boycott of Amazon, because they are using a
    >> software patent to commit aggression."
    >>
    >> http://www.resonancepub.com/rstallman.htm
    >>

    >> Gee, I wish I had known!
    >>
    >> Earlier this week I ordered $300 worth of stuff from Amazon, including
    >> some proprietary software (Access 2007 upgrade), a patent-encumbered
    >> digital camera (A590IS), and Gourmet magazine (maybe if I eat 3 servings
    >> of every recipe in each month's magazine I can get as fat as Stallman?).

    > Why are you such an asshole?

    Because he came out of one?

    --
    Mandriva 2008.1 64-bit.
    This message was sent from a

  15. Re: Stallman: boycott Amazon

    On May 17, 1:28 pm, Homer wrote:
    > Verily I say unto thee, that Rick spake thusly:
    >

    > > On Sat, 17 May 2008 10:14:04 -0400, DFS wrote:
    > >> "My latest project is the boycott of Amazon, because they are using
    > >> a software patent to commit aggression."

    > >>http://www.resonancepub.com/rstallman.htm

    > >> Gee, I wish I had known!

    > [...]
    > > Why are you such an asshole?

    > Why is he six years out of date?

    Why not?
    MS fud knows no boundaries and this includes time. Why let a little
    thing like date affect your rant.
    Besides I can't see why DFS wouldn't support a boycott against Amazon
    for doing something as obviously stupid as trying to enforce a troll
    patent on 'one-click' shopping.
    Or, is DFS trying to say that he really supports patent trolls?

  16. Re: Stallman: boycott Amazon

    On Sat, 17 May 2008 19:53:30 -0700 (PDT), bobbie wrote:

    > On May 17, 1:28 pm, Homer wrote:
    >> Verily I say unto thee, that Rick spake thusly:

    >> [...]
    >>> Why are you such an asshole?

    >> Why is he six years out of date?

    > Why not?
    > MS fud knows no boundaries and this includes time. Why let a little
    > thing like date affect your rant.
    > Besides I can't see why DFS wouldn't support a boycott against Amazon
    > for doing something as obviously stupid as trying to enforce a troll
    > patent on 'one-click' shopping.
    > Or, is DFS trying to say that he really supports patent trolls?

    Interesting that you Linux boobs didn't seem to mind when Ruby was posting
    decade old Linux *news* to this group a couple of weeks ago.

    The old COLA double standard is hard at work.
    Unlike the unwashed, bearded, Linux masses.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  17. Re: Stallman: boycott Amazon

    bobbie wrote:

    >> [...]
    >>> Why are you such an asshole?

    >> Why is he six years out of date?

    Who cares? Get your facts straight: the interview was late '99/early 2000.

    > Why not?
    > MS fud knows no boundaries and this includes time.

    What does MS have to do with anything?

    > Why let a little thing like date affect your rant.

    You think I'm going to follow up and see if that moron Stallman is still
    boycotting Amazon? In fact, why would he ever drop his 'boycott'? Amazon
    filed the patent in the first place, making them "evil" and trying to
    "divide users" and impinging upon everyone's "freedom."

    LMAO @ the strange in the OSS world

    > Besides I can't see why DFS wouldn't support a boycott against Amazon
    > for doing something as obviously stupid as trying to enforce a troll
    > patent on 'one-click' shopping.
    > Or, is DFS trying to say that he really supports patent trolls?

    I think it's a silly "patent". So? I love Amazon's selection and service
    and reviews.

  18. Re: Stallman: boycott Amazon

    On Sat, 17 May 2008 23:10:01 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > You think I'm going to follow up and see if that moron Stallman is still
    > boycotting Amazon? In fact, why would he ever drop his 'boycott'? Amazon
    > filed the patent in the first place, making them "evil" and trying to
    > "divide users" and impinging upon everyone's "freedom."

    Judging by the pictures, it looks more like he is trying to save the whales
    by boycotting soap.

    > LMAO @ the strange in the OSS world

    And smelly as well.

    >> Besides I can't see why DFS wouldn't support a boycott against Amazon
    >> for doing something as obviously stupid as trying to enforce a troll
    >> patent on 'one-click' shopping.
    >> Or, is DFS trying to say that he really supports patent trolls?

    > I think it's a silly "patent". So? I love Amazon's selection and service
    > and reviews.

    Me too.

    Apparently, unlike Linux loons, they don't censor their reviews.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  19. Re: Stallman: boycott Amazon

    Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    > On Sat, 17 May 2008 23:10:01 -0400, DFS wrote:

    >> LMAO @ the strange in the OSS world

    > And smelly as well.

    Which when combined with his lousy personality means only a select few -
    like Rube - can stand him.

    >> I think it's a silly "patent". So? I love Amazon's selection and
    >> service and reviews.

    > Me too.
    >
    > Apparently, unlike Linux loons, they don't censor their reviews.

    And they sell everything.

    I'm about to order 12oz of this in honor of Fedora 9 and Ubuntu 8.04 being
    so sloppy
    http://www.amazon.com/GourmetFoodSto...1081115&sr=8-1

  20. Re: Stallman: boycott Amazon