[News] DRM is Dying Along with Its Shops (Classic New Example) - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] DRM is Dying Along with Its Shops (Classic New Example) - Linux ; Virgin drops Windows Media-based music download service ,----[ Quote ] | Since Virgin Digital used DRM technology from Microsoft to manage how songs | could be played and transferred to portable devices, the service was not | compatible with Apple's ...

  1. [News] DRM is Dying Along with Its Shops (Classic New Example)

    Virgin drops Windows Media-based music download service

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Since Virgin Digital used DRM technology from Microsoft to manage how songs
    | could be played and transferred to portable devices, the service was not
    | compatible with Apple's iPod line, which uses a different DRM technology and
    | file format.
    `----

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20...nfoworld/92035

    Virgin Digital can't reach escape velocity, to be grounded permanently

    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...rmanently.html

    Dying Virgin urges punters: "rip to CD"

    http://www.theinquirer.net/en/inquir...ters-rip-to-cd

    DRM advocates getting nervous about consumer backlash

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | But the growing backlash against DRM is causing dissension in the pro-DRM
    | ranks.
    `----

    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...-backlash.html

    And Microsoft *loves* DRM, by its own admission. Just comes to show its
    character...

    Related:

    Music DRM in critical condition: Universal tests DRM free music sales

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Universal Music Group has announced that the company is going to test selling
    | DRM-free music to consumers in order to assess the market.
    `----

    Paramount: DRM may not (at least right now) please consumers

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "Interoperability (presents) an impediment to digital distribution," he said
    | during remarks at the Progress and Freedom Foundation's Aspen Summit. "I'm
    | pretty confident that in the end solutions will be found. It's just a
    | question of how much heat and pressure we feel before we see the light."
    `----

    http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-976...=2547-1_3-0-20

  2. Re: [News] DRM is Dying Along with Its Shops (Classic New Example)

    > Virgin drops Windows Media-based music download service

    That's not the only thing they dropped:

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/news/20070917_virgin.shtml

    Eventually /all/ multimedia will be delivered in a media-less format, so
    physical retail stores may be redundant, unless they can somehow change.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | "OOXML is a superb standard"
    | - GNU/Linux traitor, Miguel de Icaza.
    `----

    22:24:44 up 47 days, 21:19, 2 users, load average: 0.11, 0.07, 0.09

  3. Re: [News] DRM is Dying Along with Its Shops (Classic New Example)

    ____/ [H]omer on Tuesday 25 September 2007 22:25 : \____

    >> Virgin drops Windows Media-based music download service

    > That's not the only thing they dropped:
    >
    > http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/news/20070917_virgin.shtml
    >
    > Eventually /all/ multimedia will be delivered in a media-less format, so
    > physical retail stores may be redundant, unless they can somehow change.

    Well, storage still requires some form of media (e.g. flash/HDD), but I agree.
    I've been paperless for years as well... there's a lot and many which has/have
    to accept digitisation of everything that can be digitised. DRM is scary in
    this context. It is a threat to culture. OOXML poses similar types of fear,
    not to mention proprietary codecs.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Avoid missing ball for higher score"
    00:05:01 up 15 days, 22:11, 6 users, load average: 0.10, 0.51, 0.98