Study: Comcast, Cox blocking BitTorrent throughout US

,----[ Quote ]
| The Max Planck Institute for Software Systems released a study Thursday
| showing that Cox Communications and Comcast have been blocking BitTorrent
| transfers within the United States at both peak and non-peak hours.
|
| [...]
|
| The study also finds that both Comcast and Cox block BitTorrent uploads
| during both peak hours and during mornings and weekends, when traffic is
| typically less heavy. Comcast, for instance, blocked BitTorrent traffic on
| just over 60 per cent of all tests conducted on Saturdays, which is a
| slightly higher percentage of tests blocked during weekdays; on Sundays, the
| percentage of blocked tests drops significantly to just over 50 per cent.
| Cox, on the other hand, was more likely to block BitTorrent traffic on the
| weekends than on the weekdays, with nearly 70 per cent of all tests conducted
| on Saturdays and Sundays blocked. The institute qualifies the Cox data,
| however, by noting that Cox tests comprised a much smaller sample size than
| the Comcast tests.
`----

Recent:

Linux device downloads BitTorrent video

,----[ Quote ]
| A startup called Myka is accepting orders for a Linux-based device that
| downloads, stores, and plays BitTorrent media files on an attached TV. Myka's
| TorrentTV offloads BitTorrent peer-to-peer duties from a PC platform, easing
| the process of displaying "Torrents" on a TV. *
`----

Microsoft Misleads on Copyright Reform

,----[ Quote ]
| The Hill Times this week includes an astonishingly misleading and factually
| incorrect article on Canadian copyright written by Microsoft. *
`----

http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/2670/125/

RIAA, MPAA urge pro-copyright vows from presidential candidates

,----[ Quote ]
| One question, for instance, asks: "How would you promote the progress of
| science and creativity, as enumerated in the U.S. Constitution, by upholding
| and strengthening copyright law and preventing its diminishment?"
`----

TorrentSpy Ordered to Pay $110 Million in Damages to MPAA

,----[ Quote ]
| If anything, this case has proven that the Bitorrent file sharing sites can
| be pretty vulnerable, which include The Pirate Bay, one of the most
| publicized file-sharing sites and a site that seems to think of itself as
| invincible.
`----

http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/006914.html

Comcast, Microsoft team up to serve smaller firms

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft's move to offer the online software suite appears designed to
| compete with a similar offering from rival Google Inc (GOOG.O: Quote,
| Profile, Research) known as Google Apps. *
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/marke...0071114?rpc=44

Comcast admits paying attendees at FCC hearing

,----[ Quote ]
| Comcast Corp. admitted yesterday that it paid people to attend a government
| hearing. Company critics say the freelance attendees were there to crowd them
| out; Comcast says they were merely saving seats for employees. *
`----

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/front...C_hearing.html

Comcast stacked Net Neutrality meeting

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...net-neutrality

Allegations fly in FCC hearing aftermath

,----[ Quote ]
| Comcast Corp. on Tuesday acknowledged hiring people to fill seats before the
| start of a contentious federal hearing on how the company manages its
| broadband network, allowing its employees to take those seats when the
| filled-to-capacity hearing started. *
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080227/...net_regulation

US senator accuses FCC of rigging 700MHz auction

,----[ Quote ]
| Wireless watchers are still waiting for the final results of the The Great
| American Wireless Auction, but that hasn't stopped at least one US Senator
| from dubbing the FCC's $20bn bid-off "a disaster". *
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02...00mhz_auction/

BitTorrent Admin Monitored by US Government, Forced to Dump Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Sk0t, an ex-administrator of the EliteTorrents BitTorrent tracker is to have
| his internet connection forcibly monitored by the US Government. If that
| wasn’t bad enough, the monitoring software is Windows based - which means he
| is being forced to ditch Linux - or face being barred from the internet. *
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/bittorrent-a...to-dump-linux/

Is Comcast's BitTorrent filtering violating the law?

,----[ Quote ]
| Assuming that the SYN packet goes through, the three-way handshake is allowed
| to happen, then the two hosts will be able to begin communicating. Your ISP
| can still kill the connection later, should they wish to, merely by blocking
| the transmission of future packets. *
|
| According to Torrent Freak, Comcast is not doing this. They are instead
| sending a reset (or RST) packet to the Comcast customer, pretending to be
| from the host at the end of the BitTorrent connection. *
`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13739_1-9769645-46.html

Related:

AllOfMP3 Shut Down by Russian Government

,----[ Quote ]
| AllOfMp3, the popular online music store, has been shut down by the
| *Russian government. Pressure from the United States, and a refusal
| to enter the World Trade Organisation (WTO) convinced the Kremlin to
| take the website down for good.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/allofmp3-shu...an-government/

File-sharing 'graveyard' still filling up

,----[ Quote ]
| Now a new battle is heating up. The search engine TorrentSpy is accused
| in a lawsuit filed last year by the Motion Picture Association of
| America (MPAA) of allegedly helping users locate pirated movies online.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6194001.html

Don't mention the broadband speeds

,----[ Quote ]