Hague Declaration to be signed on 21 May in the Hague

,----[ Quote ]
| The Hague Declaration calls on governments to:
|
| 1. Procure only information technology that implements free and open
| standards;
| 2. Deliver e-government services based exclusively on free and open
| standards;
| 3. Use only free and open digital standards in their own activities.
`----

http://www.digistan.org/forum/t-5981...y-in-the-hague

Defining "open standards": The Digital Standards Organization (digistan.org)

,----[ Quote ]
| In my essay "Is OpenDocument an Open Standard? Yes!", I addressed this
| problem of multiple different definitions by finding three widely-used
| definitions (Perens', Krechmer's, and the European Commission's) and merging
| them. After all, if a specification meets all three definitions of "open
| standard", then it's far more likely to be a true open standard. Problem is,
| with all those trees, it's hard to see the forest.
`----

http://www.dwheeler.com/blog/2008/05...dards-digistan

Recent:

MEPs Question Microsoft's Eligibility for Gov't Projects

,----[ Quote ]
| The Commission, which has not responded yet, is allowed a few weeks to reply.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente..._projects.html

EU: Europarlement testing Ubuntu, OpenOffice and Firefox

,----[ Quote ]
| The European Parliament's IT department is testing the use of GNU/Linux
| distribution Ubuntu, OpenOffice, Firefox and other Open Source applications,
| the British MEP James Nicholson explained last week in a letter to Italian
| MEP Marco Cappato. *
`----

http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7565

Is Microsoft Now Banned from EU Contracts?

http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolb...=697&blogid=14

Euro MP thinks Microsoft should be banned from government contracts

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...arliament-asks

Green MEP says Microsoft should be excluded from EU contract awarding procedure

EC probes OOXML standards-setting process

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04...stigation_iso/