[...Splashtop and HyperSpace]

Asus to embed Linux on all motherboards

,----[ Quote ]
| Splashtop is not the only such product on the market. A year ago, BIOS vendor
| Phoenix Technology launched HyperSpace, an equivalent that has yet to turn up
| on PCs in any numbers. Microsoft's view on the movement to embed cut-down
| operating systems is not known, but Phoenix did launch a pre-emptive strike
| against it to stop it blocking HyperSpace using restrictive Vista end-user
| license agreements (EULAs). Microsoft relented.

An antitrust complaint forced Microsoft to change the EULA -- a change it tried
to characterise as 'goodwill' (details below).

Asus to ship all motherboards with Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| And, for many casual computer users who make use of web-based applications
| exclusively, Splashtop Linux might be all the operating system they ever
| need.

Huge win for Linux. The press underplays it.

This is why I’ll always remain a Microsoft skeptic

,----[ Quote ]
| But the real reason for Microsoft’s capitulation became clear on March 7 via
| a new joint-status report in the Microsoft-Department of Justice case. It
| turns out BIOS maker Phoenix Technologies (a long-time Microsoft partner)
| filed a complaint with antitrust regulators about Microsoft’s virtualization
| restrictions. * *

New Phoenix BIOS will run Linux apps when Windows fails

,----[ Quote ]
| The basic concept is that an embedded Linux OS will accompany the core system
| firmware or BIOS, allowing instant-on applications to be run from it at any
| time.

Phoenix HyperSpace: Quick-Boot Your Laptop

,----[ Quote ]
| Phoenix Technologies' new HyperSpace is an instant-on environment for
| laptops, letting users launch a browser or other apps with booting into the
| OS.
| Today, Phoenix Technologies introduced a firmware product called HyperSpace,
| which allows PCs to run a number of applications separate from the operating
| system. What that means is that if you use a PC equipped with HyperSpace, you
| will be able to quick-boot your notebook into a secure Linux environment,
| where you can use Web browsers like FireFox and pre-loaded Web-aware apps
| like Google Earth, Picasa, and the like.
| [...]
| Also, since HyperSpace is a Linux-based platform, Windows viruses won't
| affect it.

Microsoft nonchalant about Phoenix assault on Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| BIOS maker Phoenix Technologies Ltd.'s plans to market a new application
| platform the company claims will solve a number of problems endemic to
| Microsoft's Windows platform might be taken as a provocative gesture at their
| longtime partner. But Redmond's immediate reaction was nonchalant.
| On Monday, the Milpitas, Calif. software maker announced Hyperspace, a
| Linux-based virtualization platform that will let OEMs bundle cut-down
| versions of popular open-source software that end users will be able to
| access instantly, even without booting Windows.

Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)