Re: Install new printer: Linux vs Windows - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: Install new printer: Linux vs Windows - Linux ; On Fri, 16 May 2008 02:14:18 +0100, Homer wrote: .... >So anyway, now I'm left with a working printer driver, 450MB of >Shovelware, and an extremely basic looking printer status utility that I >don't need anyway because I can just ...

  1. Re: Install new printer: Linux vs Windows

    On Fri, 16 May 2008 02:14:18 +0100, Homer wrote:
    >So anyway, now I'm left with a working printer driver, 450MB of
    >Shovelware, and an extremely basic looking printer status utility that I
    >don't need anyway because I can just point any Web browser at the

    It gets better. If you move your computer and plug the printer into a different
    USB port, the printer has to reinstall itself and the printer driver will copy
    all that crap. Where it is copying it from and where it is copying it to, I
    have know idea.

    Absolutely insane. I won't use HP printers with windows any more.

    Their linux printing and imaging software is simple and takes about two minutes
    to install. It handles everything on my hp8200 including cartridge
    status and maintenance, as well as the camera card reader.

  2. Re: Install new printer: Linux vs Windows

    * AZ Nomad peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > On Fri, 16 May 2008 02:14:18 +0100, Homer wrote:
    >>So anyway, now I'm left with a working printer driver, 450MB of
    >>Shovelware, and an extremely basic looking printer status utility that I
    >>don't need anyway because I can just point any Web browser at the

    > It gets better. If you move your computer and plug the printer into a different
    > USB port, the printer has to reinstall itself and the printer driver will copy
    > all that crap. Where it is copying it from and where it is copying it to, I
    > have know idea.
    >
    > Absolutely insane. I won't use HP printers with windows any more.
    >
    > Their linux printing and imaging software is simple and takes about two minutes
    > to install. It handles everything on my hp8200 including cartridge
    > status and maintenance, as well as the camera card reader.

    It may be a good example of the relative difficulty of writing drivers
    for Windows.

    On top of that, it also seems to be a good example of the feature-itis
    that has driven the Microsoft-driven computer industry for the last
    decade-and-a-half.

    Say, I wonder if Bill applies the below to his "great" software?

    --
    We're no longer in the days where everything is super well crafted. But at
    the heart of the programs that make it to the top, you'll find that the key

+ Reply to Thread