[News] Fedora 10 to have new completely "text-less" GUI boot system - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Fedora 10 to have new completely "text-less" GUI boot system - Linux ; Unlike rhgb, the new system (dubbed "Plymouth") will be completely console-free (text-less). Up to now, one had to endure (if that's the right word) spewage from RH nash whilst it loaded the initrd and then launched rhgb graphical boot, but ...

  1. [News] Fedora 10 to have new completely "text-less" GUI boot system

    Unlike rhgb, the new system (dubbed "Plymouth") will be completely
    console-free (text-less). Up to now, one had to endure (if that's the
    right word) spewage from RH nash whilst it loaded the initrd and then
    launched rhgb graphical boot, but that'll all change with F10.

    No more frightened granny's at bootup

    https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedo.../msg00954.html

    http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releas...eBetterStartup

    Personally, I'll stick with runlevel 3 (old habits die hard), but I
    suppose the Windoze converts will appreciate this ... and thanks to
    Vista, there's *plenty* of those.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    23:19:14 up 146 days, 19:55, 5 users, load average: 0.04, 0.09, 0.14

  2. Re: [News] Fedora 10 to have new completely "text-less" GUI boot system

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Homer

    wrote
    on Thu, 15 May 2008 23:19:53 +0100
    :
    > Unlike rhgb, the new system (dubbed "Plymouth") will be completely
    > console-free (text-less). Up to now, one had to endure (if that's the
    > right word) spewage from RH nash whilst it loaded the initrd and then
    > launched rhgb graphical boot, but that'll all change with F10.
    >
    > No more frightened granny's at bootup
    >
    > https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedo.../msg00954.html
    >
    > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releas...eBetterStartup
    >
    > Personally, I'll stick with runlevel 3 (old habits die hard), but I
    > suppose the Windoze converts will appreciate this ... and thanks to
    > Vista, there's *plenty* of those.

    I would hope the boot text goes into a logfile, or at least
    into dmesg (how many grannies will know about dmesg, I've
    no idea!). My first thinking upon booting the 2005 Gentoo
    Livedisc is to press F2, which goes into text mode. To be
    fair, I'm not exactly a granny, nor am I frightened. ;-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C++ Programming Idea #992398129:
    void f(unsigned u) { if(u < 0) ... }

  3. Re: [News] Fedora 10 to have new completely "text-less" GUI bootsystem

    Verily I say unto thee, that The Ghost In The Machine spake thusly:

    > I would hope the boot text goes into a logfile, or at least into
    > dmesg (how many grannies will know about dmesg, I've no idea!).

    Yes, rsyslog will still be logging to /var/log/messages.

    > My first thinking upon booting the 2005 Gentoo Livedisc is to press
    > F2, which goes into text mode. To be fair, I'm not exactly a granny,
    > nor am I frightened. ;-)

    Beats me why anyone should be more afraid of information than ignorance,
    but that's just how certain types are, I guess.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    02:23:53 up 146 days, 22:59, 6 users, load average: 0.34, 0.42, 0.28

+ Reply to Thread