How long have you been a Linux user? - Linux

This is a discussion on How long have you been a Linux user? - Linux ; Linux Journal is polling to find out how long people have individually been using Linux. http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/...een-linux-user...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 77

  1. How long have you been a Linux user?

    Linux Journal is polling to find out how long people have individually
    been using Linux. http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/...een-linux-user

  2. Re: How long have you been a Linux user?

    On Thu, 15 May 2008 13:16:51 -0700 (PDT), carlie@linuxjournal.com wrote:

    > Linux Journal is polling to find out how long people have individually
    > been using Linux. http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/...een-linux-user

    They should add the word continuously into that survey because most people:

    Try Linux
    Dump Linux
    Try Linux
    Dump Linux
    Try Linux
    Dump Linux

    and over and over again each time hoping Linux has improved and they can
    finally move off Windows.

    It hasn't happened for most yet based upon the 0.65 percent of desktop
    market share Linux has.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: How long have you been a Linux user?

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  4. Re: How long have you been a Linux user?

    On May 15, 4:16 pm, "car...@linuxjournal.com"
    wrote:
    > Linux Journal is polling to find out how long people have individually
    > been using Linux.http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/...een-linux-user

    I used to be a sysadmin at MIT circa 1990, working in an initiative co-
    sponsored by DEC, IBM and MIT, called Project Athena. Among many other
    things, I used to test new DEC RISC hardware before it was available
    to the general public. The DEC-MIT relationship was so close that the
    salesperson in charged of the MIT account had a permanent office at
    the school. She only went to DEC once a week or something. The coolest
    event was when DEC rented the largest ship (QE2) on the seas, plus
    another big vessel, in order to receive the DEC World guests, after
    renting every single hotel room in Boston.

    Anywho... One day DEC brought a kid from Finland, to tell us all about
    his baby OS. It was a very large auditorium, so crowded that there
    were people sitting on the floor. We offered Linus disk space and FTP
    servers so he could distribute his operating system kernel to the
    world.

    I may be wrong, but I believe that was the day RMS and Linus met.

    -Ramon

  5. Re: How long have you been a Linux user?

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Jeremy Fisher

    wrote
    on Fri, 16 May 2008 00:23:44 +0100
    <482cb6c6$0$90273$14726298@news.sunsite.dk>:
    > Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 15 May 2008 13:16:51 -0700 (PDT), carlie@linuxjournal.com wrote:
    >>
    >>> Linux Journal is polling to find out how long people have individually
    >>> been using Linux.
    >>> http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/...een-linux-user

    >> They should add the word continuously into that survey because most
    >> people:
    >>
    >> Try Linux
    >> Dump Linux
    >> Try Linux
    >> Dump Linux
    >> Try Linux
    >> Dump Linux
    >>
    >> and over and over again each time hoping Linux has improved and they can
    >> finally move off Windows.
    >>
    >> It hasn't happened for most yet based upon the 0.65 percent of desktop
    >> market share Linux has.
    >>

    > Were are you getting your stats from, and how are they based. I can only
    > find figures like yours if you take the lowest figure of any tables, would
    > it not be more realistic to take the Median figure or at least post on what
    > the 0.65 % figure is based.
    >
    > Jem..

    Well, FWIW

    http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=8

    indicates 0.63% Linux, with Windows at 91.64% and Mac 7.38%,
    with everyone else divvying up the 0.35% remaining.

    God only knows if this is even close to accurate.

    If one assumes

    http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2004/jan/06macosx.html

    is accurate this suggests Linux has 0.63 * 10M / 7.38 = 850,000 users.

    Personally, I think that's off by at least an order of magnitude,
    but can't prove it.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C++ Programming Idea #889123:
    std::vector<...> v; for(int i = 0; i < v.size(); i++) v.erase(v.begin() + i);

  6. Re: How long have you been a Linux user?

    "Moshe Goldfarb" wrote in message
    > On Thu, 15 May 2008 13:16:51 -0700 (PDT), carlie@linuxjournal.com wrote:
    >
    >> Linux Journal is polling to find out how long people have individually
    >> been using Linux.
    >> http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/...een-linux-user

    > They should add the word continuously into that survey because most
    > people:
    >
    > Try Linux
    > Dump Linux
    > Try Linux
    > Dump Linux
    > Try Linux
    > Dump Linux
    >
    > and over and over again each time hoping Linux has improved and they can
    > finally move off Windows.
    >
    > It hasn't happened for most yet based upon the 0.65 percent of desktop
    > market share Linux has.

    Been using it since Slackware days, 0.97p1 or so. Download from a BBS and
    make floppies for the install. Been running one version or another ever
    since. Which reminds me, Fedora 9 is out, and all the mirrors were plugged
    yesterday and the day before. Time to try again, no extra charge either. It
    is so popular even the 1GB links are plugged solid.

    But then, I have been UNIX literate for over 22 years. Unlike MS-Win
    fanboys I could put more in my brain than MS-FUD. Linux/UNIX is more secure
    and more stable. Part of the reason windows does not own the server market.
    It just isn't stable and robust enough for some applications.

    One observation, Linux has always been technically superior to MS-Windows.
    But it just didn't come with a marketing machine and lobster dinners with
    the CIO. Linux now has a better and more capable than Vista interface
    (Compiz) and is much faster, people should try it. Linux often had the same
    technologies that MS-Windows uses, LDAP, Kerberos and even native TCP come
    to mind. Which of course Microsoft borrowed and bastardized. My current
    recommended distros are Ubuntu and Fedora.

    You should see Compiz work, amazing. Windows done right. MS-Windows for
    boyz, X-Windows for men.

    Resistance is not futile. It is actually profitable.

  7. Re: How long have you been a Linux user?

    Canuck57 wrote:

    > "Moshe Goldfarb" wrote in message
    >
    >>On Thu, 15 May 2008 13:16:51 -0700 (PDT), carlie@linuxjournal.com wrote:
    >>

    >>>Linux Journal is polling to find out how long people have individually
    >>>been using Linux.
    >>>http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/...een-linux-user

    >>They should add the word continuously into that survey because most
    >>people:
    >>
    >>Try Linux
    >>Dump Linux
    >>Try Linux
    >>Dump Linux
    >>Try Linux
    >>Dump Linux
    >>
    >>and over and over again each time hoping Linux has improved and they can
    >>finally move off Windows.
    >>
    >>It hasn't happened for most yet based upon the 0.65 percent of desktop
    >>market share Linux has.

    > Been using it since Slackware days, 0.97p1 or so. Download from a BBS and
    > make floppies for the install. Been running one version or another ever
    > since. Which reminds me, Fedora 9 is out, and all the mirrors were plugged
    > yesterday and the day before. Time to try again, no extra charge either. It
    > is so popular even the 1GB links are plugged solid.
    >
    > But then, I have been UNIX literate for over 22 years. Unlike MS-Win
    > fanboys I could put more in my brain than MS-FUD.

    Whats your problem canadian bacon, gotta start your MS hate bull****
    campaign whenever linux is mentioned?

    Linux/UNIX is more secure
    > and more stable.

    Than what? Yesterdays versions?

    Part of the reason windows does not own the server market.

    Uh oh...I sense another lie coming!

    > It just isn't stable and robust enough for some applications.

    Now you're showing your incompetence and stupidity to go along with your
    inability to Vista running correctly.

    Bull****! Is that why Windows owns the desktop world?

    > But it just didn't come with a marketing machine and lobster dinners with
    > the CIO.

    No, it came working out of the box the way people want an os to work.

    Linux now has a better and more capable than Vista interface
    > (Compiz) and is much faster, people should try it.

    Don't waste your time.

    Linux often had the same
    > technologies that MS-Windows uses, LDAP, Kerberos and even native TCP come
    > to mind. Which of course Microsoft borrowed and bastardized. My current
    > recommended distros are Ubuntu and Fedora.

    I'm starting to once again smell the bull**** coming out of your fat,
    lying linux mouth.

    > You should see Compiz work, amazing. Windows done right. MS-Windows for
    > boyz, X-Windows for men.

    Linux is for losers just like you!

    > Resistance is not futile. It is actually profitable.

    How many beers did it take for you to write this stupid diatribe?
    Frank

  8. Re: How long have you been a Linux user?

    Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > On Thu, 15 May 2008 13:16:51 -0700 (PDT), carlie@linuxjournal.com wrote:
    >
    >> Linux Journal is polling to find out how long people have individually
    >> been using Linux.
    >> http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/...een-linux-user

    > They should add the word continuously into that survey because most
    > people:
    >
    > Try Linux
    > Dump Linux
    > Try Linux
    > Dump Linux
    > Try Linux
    > Dump Linux
    >
    > and over and over again each time hoping Linux has improved and they can
    > finally move off Windows.
    >
    > It hasn't happened for most yet based upon the 0.65 percent of desktop
    > market share Linux has.

    Were are you getting your stats from, and how are they based. I can only
    find figures like yours if you take the lowest figure of any tables, would
    it not be more realistic to take the Median figure or at least post on what
    the 0.65 % figure is based.

    Jem..

  9. Re: How long have you been a Linux user?

    * The Ghost In The Machine peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> They should add the word continuously into that survey because most
    >>> people:
    >>>
    >>> Try Linux
    >>> Dump Linux
    >>> Try Linux
    >>> Dump Linux
    >>> Try Linux
    >>> Dump Linux
    >>>
    >>> and over and over again each time hoping Linux has improved and they can
    >>> finally move off Windows.

    Utter bull****.

    The only thing that really changes is the /person/. Linux has been
    quite mature and usable for a few years now.

    It is the person who finally decides to stick with Linux that has
    evolved.

    >>> It hasn't happened for most yet based upon the 0.65 percent of desktop
    >>> market share Linux has.

    Bull****. Gartner pegs Linux at 1.5% in the U.S., and up to 4.5% in
    other parts of the world.

    Even if you accept the 0.65% figure, that's almost /three times/ the
    number you used to fling around, /dude/.

    [Note; The peremptory, sharp, and upbraiding tone is meant for "Moshe",
    not for "Ghost".]

    > Well, FWIW
    >
    > http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=8
    >
    > indicates 0.63% Linux, with Windows at 91.64% and Mac 7.38%,
    > with everyone else divvying up the 0.35% remaining.
    >
    > God only knows if this is even close to accurate.

    It's only one protocol. People only a little more advanced also use
    NNTP, FTP, and P2P protocols.

    > If one assumes
    >
    > http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2004/jan/06macosx.html
    >
    > is accurate this suggests Linux has 0.63 * 10M / 7.38 = 850,000 users.
    >
    > Personally, I think that's off by at least an order of magnitude,
    > but can't prove it.

    Well, that's 4 years ago, about the time when flatso was spouting out
    the 0.24% number, so multiply that out-of-the-ass estimate by 3.

    This one predicted (in 2003) a 20% Linux desktop market share in 2008:

    http://www.linux.com/articles/30873

    It could well be that the SCO FUD sponsored by Microsoft and Sun did
    indeed have a chilling effect.

    This one (in 2004) predicted 7% by 2008:

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/ITFacts/?p=68

    Sounds bad, huh? Well, if you look at that article, it says that the
    2003 market share was /3%/, so they only expected it to double.
    That article also says the expected number would be 17 million PCs in
    2008, bring the "total installed base" to 42 million.

    So, if the numbers are truly less than what was expected, how could this
    be, when we all know from experience that Linux is more widespread?

    Were the old numbers way too high?

    Did Microsoft's smear campaign against Linux work?

    Or are the new numbers way to low, perhaps thanks to using a different
    metric?

    Or all of the above?

    Who care? I get to use Linux and home and at work, and so I'm a pretty
    happy camper.

    --
    There never was a chip, it is said, that Bill Gates couldn't slow down with a
    new batch of features.

  10. Re: How long have you been a Linux user?

    * Frank peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Canuck57 wrote:
    >
    > to emphasize "Frank"'s words.
    >
    > Whats your problem canadian bacon, gotta start your MS hate bull****
    > campaign whenever linux is mentioned?
    >
    > Than what? Yesterdays versions?
    >
    > Uh oh...I sense another lie coming!
    >
    > Now you're showing your incompetence and stupidity to go along with your
    > inability to Vista running correctly.
    >
    > Bull****! Is that why Windows owns the desktop world?
    >
    > No, it came working out of the box the way people want an os to work.
    >
    > Don't waste your time.
    >
    > I'm starting to once again smell the bull**** coming out of your fat,
    > lying linux mouth.
    >
    > Linux is for losers just like you!
    >
    > How many beers did it take for you to write this stupid diatribe?
    > Frank

    Thanks, Frank, I hardly had to write anything!

    --
    Life is not divided into semesters. You don't get summers off and very few
    employers are interested in helping you find yourself.

  11. Re: How long have you been a Linux user?

    Linonut wrote:

    > * Frank peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >

    >>Canuck57 wrote:
    >>
    >> to emphasize "Frank"'s words.
    >>
    >>Whats your problem canadian bacon, gotta start your MS hate bull****
    >>campaign whenever linux is mentioned?
    >>
    >>Than what? Yesterdays versions?
    >>
    >>Uh oh...I sense another lie coming!
    >>
    >>Now you're showing your incompetence and stupidity to go along with your
    >>inability to Vista running correctly.
    >>
    >>Bull****! Is that why Windows owns the desktop world?
    >>
    >>No, it came working out of the box the way people want an os to work.
    >>
    >>Don't waste your time.
    >>
    >>I'm starting to once again smell the bull**** coming out of your fat,
    >>lying linux mouth.
    >>
    >>Linux is for losers just like you!
    >>
    >>How many beers did it take for you to write this stupid diatribe?
    >>Frank

    > Thanks, Frank, I hardly had to write anything!

    My pleasure! :-)
    Frank

  12. Re: How long have you been a Linux user?

    On Thu, 15 May 2008 16:26:41 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > On Thu, 15 May 2008 13:16:51 -0700 (PDT), carlie@linuxjournal.com wrote:
    >
    >> Linux Journal is polling to find out how long people have individually
    >> been using Linux.
    >> http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/...een-linux-user

    > They should add the word continuously into that survey because most
    > people:
    >
    > Try Linux
    > Dump Linux

    BS
    > Try Linux
    > Dump Linux

    BS
    > Try Linux
    > Dump Linux

    BS

    > and over and over again each time hoping Linux has improved and they can
    > finally move off Windows.

    BS - I have never known a single person to do that. The vast majority of
    folks I'm aquainted with try Linux and stay there. A few give up and go
    back to MS - unable to make the change; but I've never known a single
    person to go through the crap you're trying to make us believe is standard.

    > It hasn't happened for most yet based upon the 0.65 percent of desktop
    > market share Linux has.

  13. Re: How long have you been a Linux user?

    * Linonut peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > So, if the numbers are truly less than what was expected, how could this
    > be, when we all know from experience that Linux is more widespread?
    >
    > Were the old numbers way too high?
    >
    > Did Microsoft's smear campaign against Linux work?
    >
    > Or are the new numbers way to low, perhaps thanks to using a different
    > metric?
    >
    > Or all of the above?
    >
    > Who care? I get to use Linux and home and at work, and so I'm a pretty
    > happy camper.

    One more thing I found:

    http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats...ate=2008-02-29

    Of course, this one shows yet another set of numbers, but that's not
    what caught my eye here.

    Instead, look at the countries. Use of the web is dominated by the
    U.S., which we already know has 1/3 to 1/2 the Linux "market share" as
    other parts of the world.

    This might partially explain why the web-hits numbers are much lower
    than what Gartner claims.

    One more weird thing: are there really no significant numbers of users
    using screen resolutions of 1920x1200?

    --
    If GM had kept up with technology like the computer industry has, we would
    all be driving $25 cars that got 1000 MPG.

  14. Re: How long have you been a Linux user?

    ray wrote:
    > On Thu, 15 May 2008 16:26:41 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >

    >>On Thu, 15 May 2008 13:16:51 -0700 (PDT), carlie@linuxjournal.com wrote:
    >>

    >>>Linux Journal is polling to find out how long people have individually
    >>>been using Linux.
    >>>http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/...een-linux-user

    >>They should add the word continuously into that survey because most
    >>people:
    >>
    >>Try Linux
    >>Dump Linux

    > BS
    >
    >>Try Linux
    >>Dump Linux

    > BS
    >
    >>Try Linux
    >>Dump Linux

    > BS
    >
    >>and over and over again each time hoping Linux has improved and they can
    >>finally move off Windows.

    > BS - I have never known a single person to do that.

    I know no one who hasn't.

    The vast majority of
    > folks I'm aquainted with try Linux and stay there. A few give up and go
    > back to MS - unable to make the change; but I've never known a single
    > person to go through the crap you're trying to make us believe is standard.

    It is. Just live with it.
    Frank

    >>It hasn't happened for most yet based upon the 0.65 percent of desktop
    >>market share Linux has.

  15. Re: How long have you been a Linux user?

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Linonut

    wrote
    on Thu, 15 May 2008 20:03:21 -0400
    :
    > * The Ghost In The Machine peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Jeremy Fisher

    > Utter bull****.
    >
    > The only thing that really changes is the /person/. Linux has been
    > quite mature and usable for a few years now.

    As has been X, KDE, and Gnome on top of it. ;-)

    > It is the person who finally decides to stick with Linux that has
    > evolved.

    There's a fair number of issues here, admittedly.

    > Bull****. Gartner pegs Linux at 1.5% in the U.S., and up to 4.5% in
    > other parts of the world.
    >
    > Even if you accept the 0.65% figure, that's almost /three times/ the
    > number you used to fling around, /dude/.
    >
    > [Note; The peremptory, sharp, and upbraiding tone is meant for "Moshe",
    > not for "Ghost".]

    Of course. ;-) Unfortunately, the above post lost Moshe's attributions.

    >> Well, FWIW
    >>
    >> http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=8
    >>
    >> indicates 0.63% Linux, with Windows at 91.64% and Mac 7.38%,
    >> with everyone else divvying up the 0.35% remaining.
    >>
    >> God only knows if this is even close to accurate.

    > It's only one protocol. People only a little more advanced also use
    > NNTP, FTP, and P2P protocols.

    Not to mention POP2, POP3, IMAP, and a bunch of others.
    Of course "use" is an interesting concept generally anyway,
    and I frankly don't know how hitslink.com gets its magic
    numbers. (Not sure how much I care. Linux data is a
    bit difficult to come by, since there are so many scenarios
    I can think of that no one will ever see properly.)

    >> If one assumes
    >>
    >> http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2004/jan/06macosx.html
    >>
    >> is accurate this suggests Linux has 0.63 * 10M / 7.38 = 850,000 users.
    >>
    >> Personally, I think that's off by at least an order of magnitude,
    >> but can't prove it.

    > Well, that's 4 years ago, about the time when flatso was spouting out
    > the 0.24% number, so multiply that out-of-the-ass estimate by 3.

    Whoops. Good point.

    > This one predicted (in 2003) a 20% Linux desktop market share in 2008:
    >
    > http://www.linux.com/articles/30873
    >
    > It could well be that the SCO FUD sponsored by Microsoft and Sun did
    > indeed have a chilling effect.
    >
    > This one (in 2004) predicted 7% by 2008:
    >
    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/ITFacts/?p=68
    >
    > Sounds bad, huh? Well, if you look at that article, it says that the
    > 2003 market share was /3%/, so they only expected it to double.
    > That article also says the expected number would be 17 million PCs in
    > 2008, bring the "total installed base" to 42 million.
    >
    > So, if the numbers are truly less than what was expected, how could this
    > be, when we all know from experience that Linux is more widespread?
    >
    > Were the old numbers way too high?
    >
    > Did Microsoft's smear campaign against Linux work?
    >
    > Or are the new numbers way to low, perhaps thanks to using a different
    > metric?
    >
    > Or all of the above?
    >
    > Who care? I get to use Linux and home and at work, and so I'm a pretty
    > happy camper.

    And it works well, though for some reason Linux and our main file
    storage don't like each other when it comes to zero-length files.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    /dev/signature: Not a text file

  16. Re: How long have you been a Linux user?

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Linonut

    wrote
    on Thu, 15 May 2008 20:38:56 -0400
    :
    > * Linonut peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> So, if the numbers are truly less than what was expected, how could this
    >> be, when we all know from experience that Linux is more widespread?
    >>
    >> Were the old numbers way too high?
    >>
    >> Did Microsoft's smear campaign against Linux work?
    >>
    >> Or are the new numbers way to low, perhaps thanks to using a different
    >> metric?
    >>
    >> Or all of the above?
    >>
    >> Who care? I get to use Linux and home and at work, and so I'm a pretty
    >> happy camper.

    > One more thing I found:
    >
    > http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats...ate=2008-02-29
    >
    > Of course, this one shows yet another set of numbers, but that's not
    > what caught my eye here.
    >
    > Instead, look at the countries. Use of the web is dominated by the
    > U.S., which we already know has 1/3 to 1/2 the Linux "market share" as
    > other parts of the world.
    >
    > This might partially explain why the web-hits numbers are much lower
    > than what Gartner claims.
    >
    > One more weird thing: are there really no significant numbers of users
    > using screen resolutions of 1920x1200?

    Feh. I use 1680x1050 on the one monitor here at work
    (it's a Samsung flatscreen); the other one can go as high
    as 2048x1536 -- as far as my laptop's concerned, anyway.
    One supported resolution is 1920x1440. :-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    /dev/signature: Resource temporarily unavailable

  17. Re: How long have you been a Linux user?

    "Frank" wrote in message
    > Canuck57 wrote:
    >
    >> "Moshe Goldfarb" wrote in message

    >>>They should add the word continuously into that survey because most
    >>>people:
    >>>
    >>>Try Linux
    >>>Dump Linux
    >>>Try Linux
    >>>Dump Linux
    >>>Try Linux
    >>>Dump Linux
    >>>
    >>>and over and over again each time hoping Linux has improved and they can
    >>>finally move off Windows.
    >>>
    >>>It hasn't happened for most yet based upon the 0.65 percent of desktop
    >>>market share Linux has.

    >> Been using it since Slackware days, 0.97p1 or so. Download from a BBS
    >> and make floppies for the install. Been running one version or another
    >> ever since. Which reminds me, Fedora 9 is out, and all the mirrors were
    >> plugged yesterday and the day before. Time to try again, no extra charge
    >> either. It is so popular even the 1GB links are plugged solid.
    >>
    >> But then, I have been UNIX literate for over 22 years. Unlike MS-Win
    >> fanboys I could put more in my brain than MS-FUD.

    > Whats your problem canadian bacon, gotta start your MS hate bull****
    > campaign whenever linux is mentioned?
    >
    > Linux/UNIX is more secure
    >> and more stable.

    > Than what? Yesterdays versions?
    >
    > Part of the reason windows does not own the server market.
    >
    > Uh oh...I sense another lie coming!
    >
    >> It just isn't stable and robust enough for some applications.

    > Now you're showing your incompetence and stupidity to go along with your
    > inability to Vista running correctly.
    >>
    >> One observation, Linux has always been technically superior to
    >> MS-Windows.

    > Bull****! Is that why Windows owns the desktop world?
    >
    >> But it just didn't come with a marketing machine and lobster dinners with
    >> the CIO.

    > No, it came working out of the box the way people want an os to work.
    >
    > Linux now has a better and more capable than Vista interface
    >> (Compiz) and is much faster, people should try it.

    > Don't waste your time.
    >
    > Linux often had the same
    >> technologies that MS-Windows uses, LDAP, Kerberos and even native TCP
    >> come to mind. Which of course Microsoft borrowed and bastardized. My
    >> current recommended distros are Ubuntu and Fedora.

    > I'm starting to once again smell the bull**** coming out of your fat,
    > lying linux mouth.
    >>
    >> You should see Compiz work, amazing. Windows done right. MS-Windows for
    >> boyz, X-Windows for men.

    > Linux is for losers just like you!
    >>
    >> Resistance is not futile. It is actually profitable.

    > How many beers did it take for you to write this stupid diatribe?
    > Frank

    LOL. You are just another MS FUD going down. So how does it feel to
    sponsor a PoC like Vista?

  18. Re: How long have you been a Linux user?

    "Frank" wrote in message
    > ray wrote:

    >>>They should add the word continuously into that survey because most
    >>>people:
    >>>
    >>>Try Linux
    >>>Dump Linux

    >> BS
    >>
    >>>Try Linux
    >>>Dump Linux

    >> BS
    >>
    >>>Try Linux
    >>>Dump Linux

    >> BS
    >>
    >>>and over and over again each time hoping Linux has improved and they can
    >>>finally move off Windows.

    >> BS - I have never known a single person to do that.

    > I know no one who hasn't.

    Good, you know one more than the rest of us.

    Is this person an inbreed cousin? Or perhaps your sister?

  19. Re: How long have you been a Linux user?

    Canuck57 wrote:

    > "Frank" wrote in message
    >
    >>Canuck57 wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Moshe Goldfarb" wrote in message

    >>>Been using it since Slackware days, 0.97p1 or so. Download from a BBS
    >>>and make floppies for the install. Been running one version or another
    >>>ever since. Which reminds me, Fedora 9 is out, and all the mirrors were
    >>>plugged yesterday and the day before. Time to try again, no extra charge
    >>>either. It is so popular even the 1GB links are plugged solid.
    >>>
    >>>But then, I have been UNIX literate for over 22 years. Unlike MS-Win
    >>>fanboys I could put more in my brain than MS-FUD.

    >>Whats your problem canadian bacon, gotta start your MS hate bull****
    >>campaign whenever linux is mentioned?
    >>
    >> Linux/UNIX is more secure
    >>
    >>>and more stable.

    >>Than what? Yesterdays versions?
    >>
    >> Part of the reason windows does not own the server market.
    >>
    >>Uh oh...I sense another lie coming!
    >>

    >>>It just isn't stable and robust enough for some applications.

    >>Now you're showing your incompetence and stupidity to go along with your
    >>inability to Vista running correctly.
    >>
    >>>One observation, Linux has always been technically superior to
    >>>MS-Windows.

    >>Bull****! Is that why Windows owns the desktop world?
    >>

    >>>But it just didn't come with a marketing machine and lobster dinners with
    >>>the CIO.

    >>No, it came working out of the box the way people want an os to work.
    >>
    >> Linux now has a better and more capable than Vista interface
    >>
    >>>(Compiz) and is much faster, people should try it.

    >>Don't waste your time.
    >>
    >> Linux often had the same
    >>
    >>>technologies that MS-Windows uses, LDAP, Kerberos and even native TCP
    >>>come to mind. Which of course Microsoft borrowed and bastardized. My
    >>>current recommended distros are Ubuntu and Fedora.

    >>I'm starting to once again smell the bull**** coming out of your fat,
    >>lying linux mouth.
    >>
    >>>You should see Compiz work, amazing. Windows done right. MS-Windows for
    >>>boyz, X-Windows for men.

    >>Linux is for losers just like you!
    >>
    >>>Resistance is not futile. It is actually profitable.

    >>How many beers did it take for you to write this stupid diatribe?
    >>Frank

    > LOL. You are just another MS FUD going down.

    The only place I'm going is to the bank and on vacation!

    So how does it feel to
    > sponsor a PoC like Vista?

    I don't "sponsor" anything asshole...LOL!
    Frank

  20. Re: How long have you been a Linux user?

    Canuck57 wrote:

    > "Frank" wrote in message
    >
    >>ray wrote:

    >>>BS

    >>>BS

    >>>BS

    >>>BS - I have never known a single person to do that.

    >>I know no one who hasn't.

    > Good, you know one more than the rest of us.
    >
    > Is this person an inbreed cousin? Or perhaps your sister?

    Proly your mother!
    Watch is canadian bacon, you're all not that bright!
    Frank

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast