How long have you been a Linux user? - Linux

This is a discussion on How long have you been a Linux user? - Linux ; On Sun, 18 May 2008 10:23:37 -0700, AqD wrote: > On May 18, 8:50 pm, Dick Duck wrote: >> On Sun, 18 May 2008 05:10:56 -0700, AqD wrote: >> > On May 18, 5:50 pm, Andrew Halliwell wrote: >> >> ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Results 61 to 77 of 77

  1. Re: How long have you been a Linux user?

    On Sun, 18 May 2008 10:23:37 -0700, AqD wrote:

    > On May 18, 8:50 pm, Dick Duck wrote:

    >> > I was referring to wordpefect office for linux in 1997. There was no
    >> > other office suite for linux at that time.

    >> Wrong, applixware was available in 1996 if not earlier. Red Hat
    >> produced an office box set which included it.
    >>
    >> I was surprised when Sun bought staroffice when internally Sun used
    >> applixware at the time. IMHO applixware was superior to staroffice at
    >> the time.

    > applixware is not compatible with other major office suites - which
    > means it's almost useless for home/company PC users, unless you have
    > a big company or government department and force everyone to use it
    > (and very unlikely because linux wasn't popular either)

    It had filters to read other formats including ms word. It was very
    fast and very configurable. It was a bit like emacs in that engines
    provided the basic functionality and a kind of macro language was used
    to produce the full blown app. I have no doubt if Sun had purchased
    applixware instead of staroffice we'd have a better leaner office
    suite today than oo.o or staroffice.

  2. Re: How long have you been a Linux user?

    On Sun, 18 May 2008 10:23:37 -0700, AqD wrote:

    > On May 18, 8:50 pm, Dick Duck wrote:

    >> > I was referring to wordpefect office for linux in 1997. There was no
    >> > other office suite for linux at that time.

    >> Wrong, applixware was available in 1996 if not earlier. Red Hat
    >> produced an office box set which included it.
    >>
    >> I was surprised when Sun bought staroffice when internally Sun used
    >> applixware at the time. IMHO applixware was superior to staroffice at
    >> the time.

    > applixware is not compatible with other major office suites - which
    > means it's almost useless for home/company PC users, unless you have
    > a big company or government department and force everyone to use it
    > (and very unlikely because linux wasn't popular either)

    It had filters to read other formats including ms word. It was very
    fast and very configurable. It was a bit like emacs in that engines
    provided the basic functionality and a kind of macro language was used
    to produce the full blown app. I have no doubt if Sun had purchased
    applixware instead of staroffice we'd have a better leaner office
    suite today than oo.o or staroffice.

  3. Re: How long have you been a Linux user?

    On Sun, 18 May 2008 10:23:37 -0700, AqD wrote:

    > On May 18, 8:50 pm, Dick Duck wrote:

    >> > I was referring to wordpefect office for linux in 1997. There was no
    >> > other office suite for linux at that time.

    >> Wrong, applixware was available in 1996 if not earlier. Red Hat
    >> produced an office box set which included it.
    >>
    >> I was surprised when Sun bought staroffice when internally Sun used
    >> applixware at the time. IMHO applixware was superior to staroffice at
    >> the time.

    > applixware is not compatible with other major office suites - which
    > means it's almost useless for home/company PC users, unless you have
    > a big company or government department and force everyone to use it
    > (and very unlikely because linux wasn't popular either)

    It had filters to read other formats including ms word. It was very
    fast and very configurable. It was a bit like emacs in that engines
    provided the basic functionality and a kind of macro language was used
    to produce the full blown app. I have no doubt if Sun had purchased
    applixware instead of staroffice we'd have a better leaner office
    suite today than oo.o or staroffice.

  4. Re: How long have you been a Linux user?

    On Sun, 18 May 2008 10:23:37 -0700, AqD wrote:

    > On May 18, 8:50 pm, Dick Duck wrote:

    >> > I was referring to wordpefect office for linux in 1997. There was no
    >> > other office suite for linux at that time.

    >> Wrong, applixware was available in 1996 if not earlier. Red Hat
    >> produced an office box set which included it.
    >>
    >> I was surprised when Sun bought staroffice when internally Sun used
    >> applixware at the time. IMHO applixware was superior to staroffice at
    >> the time.

    > applixware is not compatible with other major office suites - which
    > means it's almost useless for home/company PC users, unless you have
    > a big company or government department and force everyone to use it
    > (and very unlikely because linux wasn't popular either)

    It had filters to read other formats including ms word. It was very
    fast and very configurable. It was a bit like emacs in that engines
    provided the basic functionality and a kind of macro language was used
    to produce the full blown app. I have no doubt if Sun had purchased
    applixware instead of staroffice we'd have a better leaner office
    suite today than oo.o or staroffice.

  5. Re: How long have you been a Linux user?

    On Sun, 18 May 2008 10:23:37 -0700, AqD wrote:

    > On May 18, 8:50 pm, Dick Duck wrote:

    >> > I was referring to wordpefect office for linux in 1997. There was no
    >> > other office suite for linux at that time.

    >> Wrong, applixware was available in 1996 if not earlier. Red Hat
    >> produced an office box set which included it.
    >>
    >> I was surprised when Sun bought staroffice when internally Sun used
    >> applixware at the time. IMHO applixware was superior to staroffice at
    >> the time.

    > applixware is not compatible with other major office suites - which
    > means it's almost useless for home/company PC users, unless you have
    > a big company or government department and force everyone to use it
    > (and very unlikely because linux wasn't popular either)

    It had filters to read other formats including ms word. It was very
    fast and very configurable. It was a bit like emacs in that engines
    provided the basic functionality and a kind of macro language was used
    to produce the full blown app. I have no doubt if Sun had purchased
    applixware instead of staroffice we'd have a better leaner office
    suite today than oo.o or staroffice.

  6. Re: How long have you been a Linux user?

    On Sun, 18 May 2008 10:23:37 -0700, AqD wrote:

    > On May 18, 8:50 pm, Dick Duck wrote:

    >> > I was referring to wordpefect office for linux in 1997. There was no
    >> > other office suite for linux at that time.

    >> Wrong, applixware was available in 1996 if not earlier. Red Hat
    >> produced an office box set which included it.
    >>
    >> I was surprised when Sun bought staroffice when internally Sun used
    >> applixware at the time. IMHO applixware was superior to staroffice at
    >> the time.

    > applixware is not compatible with other major office suites - which
    > means it's almost useless for home/company PC users, unless you have
    > a big company or government department and force everyone to use it
    > (and very unlikely because linux wasn't popular either)

    It had filters to read other formats including ms word. It was very
    fast and very configurable. It was a bit like emacs in that engines
    provided the basic functionality and a kind of macro language was used
    to produce the full blown app. I have no doubt if Sun had purchased
    applixware instead of staroffice we'd have a better leaner office
    suite today than oo.o or staroffice.

  7. Re: How long have you been a Linux user?

    * Colon Terminus peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > I'd say that I've been a Linux user for about two hours over the last 12
    > years.
    > Install Linux, run it for 10 minutes, decide it ain't ready for prime time
    > yet.

    Yeah, you give it a /real good/ shot, don't you?

    > Try again next year.
    >
    > I keep hoping ... maybe some day ... but not today.

    Bull****. Although your assumed name is quite appropriate. Keep
    working that chicken bone.

    --
    Television is not real life. In real life people actually have to leave the
    coffee shop and go to jobs.

  8. Re: How long have you been a Linux user?

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

    ! Don Zeigler

  9. Re: How long have you been a Linux user?

    On Thu, 15 May 2008 16:26:41 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > On Thu, 15 May 2008 13:16:51 -0700 (PDT), carlie@linuxjournal.com wrote:
    >
    >> Linux Journal is polling to find out how long people have individually
    >> been using Linux. http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/...een-linux-user

    > They should add the word continuously into that survey because most people:
    >
    > Try Linux
    > Dump Linux
    > Try Linux
    > Dump Linux
    > Try Linux
    > Dump Linux
    >
    > and over and over again each time hoping Linux has improved and they can
    > finally move off Windows.
    >
    > It hasn't happened for most yet based upon the 0.65 percent of desktop
    > market share Linux has.

    http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/29179
    http://www.heise-online.co.uk/securi...--/news/110727
    http://www.links.org/?p=327#comment-176650
    http://metasploit.com/users/hdm/tools/debian-openssl/

  10. Re: How long have you been a Linux user?

    Kayman wrote:
    > On Thu, 15 May 2008 16:26:41 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 15 May 2008 13:16:51 -0700 (PDT), carlie@linuxjournal.com wrote:
    >>
    >>> Linux Journal is polling to find out how long people have individually
    >>> been using Linux. http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/...een-linux-user

    >> They should add the word continuously into that survey because most people:
    >>
    >> Try Linux
    >> Dump Linux
    >> Try Linux
    >> Dump Linux
    >> Try Linux
    >> Dump Linux
    >>
    >> and over and over again each time hoping Linux has improved and they can
    >> finally move off Windows.
    >>
    >> It hasn't happened for most yet based upon the 0.65 percent of desktop
    >> market share Linux has.

    > http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/29179
    > http://www.heise-online.co.uk/securi...--/news/110727
    > http://www.links.org/?p=327#comment-176650
    > http://metasploit.com/users/hdm/tools/debian-openssl/
    > http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/596

    Actually you seem to be missing the point.

    Yes an error was made, however, as the texts you quote state quite
    clearly, what this really means is that someone "Might" be able to guess
    at your encryption keys, not that they "Will" be able to.

    If someone has claimed that Linux, or any other operating system, is
    free from error and you believed them then I'm afraid you have missed
    another point - which is that NOTHING is free from error.

    In fact evolution depends on getting things wrong.

    However for those of you who can only function in a point and click
    environment Linux is becoming more and more suitable. It may lack some
    of the polish that XP had achieved, but it costs nothing and works very
    well for many things. At least it does not stop you from using your
    computer when a Microsoft server crashes.

    You may well be unable to see the reality, but MS is not without
    competition, and that is just being realistic.

  11. Re: How long have you been a Linux user?

    >Hadron quacked:

    >>> But you have a choice. There wasn't any choice back in 1997 on linux.

    >> And most Linux users have to download it too.

    Your knowledge of Linux is unparalleled, Quack.

    Idiot.

  12. Re: How long have you been a Linux user?

    On Mon, 19 May 2008 00:07:43 -0500, Charlie Tame wrote:

    > You may well be unable to see the reality, but MS is not without
    > competition, and that is just being realistic.

    Microsoft has never been without competition.

    That's just another false teaching of the Linux cult.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  13. Re: How long have you been a Linux user?

    On 2008-05-18, Hadron wrote:
    > Andrew Halliwell writes:

    >>> And most Linux users have to download it too.

    >> Download what open office?
    >> GOSH, do you ever say anything that's TRUE?
    >> Name one (main) distribution that hasn't included open office as PART OF THE
    >> DISTRIBUTION for the past 3 years or more? Hell, SuSE used to ship with star
    >> office 5 all the way back in 2001.

    > Where do you think people get the distribution?

    Someone at the office gave me my first copy of Ubuntu.

    [deletia]

    --
    Apple: Because a large harddrive is for power users.
    / | \

  14. Re: How long have you been a Linux user?

    On 2008-05-18, Dick Duck wrote:
    > On Sun, 18 May 2008 05:10:56 -0700, AqD wrote:

    >>> Download what open office?

    >> I was referring to wordpefect office for linux in 1997. There was no
    >> other office suite for linux at that time.

    > Wrong, applixware was available in 1996 if not earlier. Red Hat
    > produced an office box set which included it.
    >
    > I was surprised when Sun bought staroffice when internally Sun used
    > applixware at the time. IMHO applixware was superior to staroffice at
    > the time.

    ...perhaps for certain tasks it was. In general it was not.

    I've still got my Applix and WP CDs around there somewhere.

    --
    Apple: Because a large harddrive is for power users.
    / | \

  15. Re: How long have you been a Linux user?

    On 2008-05-18, AqD wrote:
    > On May 17, 8:31 pm, Linonut wrote:
    >> *AqDperemptorily fired off this memo:

    >> > The core functions, yes. But most PC users would NOT use an OS which
    >> > lack office suites and other basic applications.

    >> No ****, Sherlock.
    >>
    >> But you already had Wordperfect in 1995/96.

    > I didn't know its existance at that time, because most linux users
    > don't know or just ignore their crapware.
    >
    > Wordperfect on linux is NOT the same thing as wordperfect on windows.

    Yes it is. Although you could use the cli/vms version as well if you
    really wanted. OTOH, the VMS version of Word Perfect wasn't so bad either.
    It was rock solid and companies were still using it in the 96 timeframe.

    >> > Abiword cannot open CJK documents correctly (even now), which make it
    >> > useless for the majority of humans.

    The majority of humans are not computing.

    This is one of those "damned lies" that Disraeli and Twain get credit for
    pointing out.

    [deletia]

    --
    Apple: Because a large harddrive is for power users.
    / | \

  16. Re: How long have you been a Linux user?

    On 2008-05-18, Linonut wrote:
    > * AqD peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> On May 17, 8:31 pm, Linonut wrote:
    >>>
    >>> But you already had Wordperfect in 1995/96.

    >> I didn't know its existance at that time, because most linux users
    >> don't know or just ignore their crapware.
    >>
    >> Wordperfect on linux is NOT the same thing as wordperfect on windows.

    > Sure it was. It was based on wine, I believe. There was another word
    > processor out there, too. Applix, I believe.

    ....that was the subsequent version.

    Although that's a pretty important point... that the last WP version
    on Linux was pretty much the corresponding Windows version.

    [deletia]

    I was thinking of the real Unix version which I still have. I ought
    to try to install it again sometime.

    --
    Apple: Because a large harddrive is for power users.
    / | \

  17. Re: How long have you been a Linux user?