How long have you been a Linux user? - Linux

This is a discussion on How long have you been a Linux user? - Linux ; On May 16, 8:03 am, Linonut wrote: > * The Ghost In The Machine peremptorily fired off this memo: > > > > > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Jeremy Fisher > > >>> On Thu, 15 May 2008 13:16:51 -0700 (PDT), car...@linuxjournal.com ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 77

  1. Re: How long have you been a Linux user?

    On May 16, 8:03 am, Linonut wrote:
    > * The Ghost In The Machine peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >

    > > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Jeremy Fisher

    > Utter bull****.
    >
    > The only thing that really changes is the /person/. Linux has been
    > quite mature and usable for a few years now.
    >
    > It is the person who finally decides to stick with Linux that has
    > evolved.

    Ah no.

    When I came to use linux in 1997, gnome wasn't here yet (I saw the
    news saying gnome team was formed). There was KDE but it's far from a
    desktop environment. And the X at that time SUCKS - no graphics driver
    supported officially (like nVIDIA and ATI now), and you would THANK
    GOD if it happens to work on your PC, even if there is probably no 3D
    acceleration (but there were 3D games already :P).

    There was no openoffice, no firefox or mozilla. The majority of GUI
    applications at that time are built on the awful motif or Xaw
    toolkits: the rendering was not double-buffered and had damn
    flickering just like windows, and most fonts are bitmapped - not the
    beautiful truetype/postscript font with anti-aliasing and hinting and
    support various encodings! The linux desktop at that time was HORRIBLE
    and nearly USELESS without xterm.

    You're not old enough, old guy.

  2. Re: How long have you been a Linux user?

    AqD writes:

    > On May 16, 8:03 am, Linonut wrote:
    >> * The Ghost In The Machine peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >>

    >> > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Jeremy Fisher

    >> Utter bull****.
    >>
    >> The only thing that really changes is the /person/. Linux has been
    >> quite mature and usable for a few years now.
    >>
    >> It is the person who finally decides to stick with Linux that has
    >> evolved.

    > Ah no.
    >
    > When I came to use linux in 1997, gnome wasn't here yet (I saw the
    > news saying gnome team was formed). There was KDE but it's far from a
    > desktop environment. And the X at that time SUCKS - no graphics driver
    > supported officially (like nVIDIA and ATI now), and you would THANK
    > GOD if it happens to work on your PC, even if there is probably no 3D
    > acceleration (but there were 3D games already :P).
    >
    > There was no openoffice, no firefox or mozilla. The majority of GUI
    > applications at that time are built on the awful motif or Xaw
    > toolkits: the rendering was not double-buffered and had damn
    > flickering just like windows, and most fonts are bitmapped - not the
    > beautiful truetype/postscript font with anti-aliasing and hinting and
    > support various encodings! The linux desktop at that time was HORRIBLE
    > and nearly USELESS without xterm.
    >

    > You're not old enough, old guy.

    Exactly. We tried porting one of our (an old company I was a PM for)
    projects to Linux. It was a nightmare assignment for the poor guy
    involved. It took him about 2 weeks to get Linux running on his PC and
    then it just looked bloody awful. At that time we were using things like
    Stardock's Object Desktop on OS/2 and Windows and had full suites of
    working SW. Linux was simply NOT ready back then and anybody who says it
    was ready for the general desktop user is a complete liar and
    fraud. Think someone like Liarnut for example. Or worse. Willy Poaster.

  3. Re: How long have you been a Linux user?

    Hadron wrote:
    > AqD writes:
    >
    > > Ah no.
    > >
    > > When I came to use linux in 1997, gnome wasn't here yet (I saw the
    > > news saying gnome team was formed). There was KDE but it's far from a
    > > desktop environment. And the X at that time SUCKS - no graphics driver
    > > supported officially (like nVIDIA and ATI now), and you would THANK
    > > GOD if it happens to work on your PC, even if there is probably no 3D
    > > acceleration (but there were 3D games already :P).
    > >
    > > There was no openoffice, no firefox or mozilla. The majority of GUI
    > > applications at that time are built on the awful motif or Xaw
    > > toolkits: the rendering was not double-buffered and had damn
    > > flickering just like windows, and most fonts are bitmapped - not the
    > > beautiful truetype/postscript font with anti-aliasing and hinting and
    > > support various encodings! The linux desktop at that time was HORRIBLE
    > > and nearly USELESS without xterm.
    > >

    > > You're not old enough, old guy.

    > Exactly. We tried porting one of our (an old company I was a PM for)
    > projects to Linux. It was a nightmare assignment for the poor guy
    > involved. It took him about 2 weeks to get Linux running on his PC and
    > then it just looked bloody awful. At that time we were using things like
    > Stardock's Object Desktop on OS/2 and Windows and had full suites of
    > working SW. Linux was simply NOT ready back then and anybody who says it
    > was ready for the general desktop user is a complete liar and
    > fraud. Think someone like Liarnut for example. Or worse. Willy Poaster.

    There were good commercial IDEs, professional GUI toolkits and form
    designers (from other Unix OSes). They may be even much better than M
    $'s at that time, but I imagine the price must be very high. I know
    there is at least an old unix app survived - Code Force, a commercial C
    ++ IDE for various unix systems, and there is also a GUI designer
    called BTxxx or BXxxx. However, I bet you guys limited the options to
    free libraries, which were really primitive in 1997.

  4. Re: How long have you been a Linux user?

    On Fri, 16 May 2008 14:36:14 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > AqD writes:
    >
    >> On May 16, 8:03 am, Linonut wrote:
    >>> * The Ghost In The Machine peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> Utter bull****.
    >>>
    >>> The only thing that really changes is the /person/. Linux has been
    >>> quite mature and usable for a few years now.
    >>>
    >>> It is the person who finally decides to stick with Linux that has
    >>> evolved.

    >> Ah no.
    >>
    >> When I came to use linux in 1997, gnome wasn't here yet (I saw the
    >> news saying gnome team was formed). There was KDE but it's far from a
    >> desktop environment. And the X at that time SUCKS - no graphics driver
    >> supported officially (like nVIDIA and ATI now), and you would THANK
    >> GOD if it happens to work on your PC, even if there is probably no 3D
    >> acceleration (but there were 3D games already :P).
    >>
    >> There was no openoffice, no firefox or mozilla. The majority of GUI
    >> applications at that time are built on the awful motif or Xaw
    >> toolkits: the rendering was not double-buffered and had damn
    >> flickering just like windows, and most fonts are bitmapped - not the
    >> beautiful truetype/postscript font with anti-aliasing and hinting and
    >> support various encodings! The linux desktop at that time was HORRIBLE
    >> and nearly USELESS without xterm.
    >>

    >> You're not old enough, old guy.

    > Exactly. We tried porting one of our (an old company I was a PM for)
    > projects to Linux. It was a nightmare assignment for the poor guy
    > involved. It took him about 2 weeks to get Linux running on his PC and
    > then it just looked bloody awful. At that time we were using things like
    > Stardock's Object Desktop on OS/2 and Windows and had full suites of
    > working SW. Linux was simply NOT ready back then and anybody who says it
    > was ready for the general desktop user is a complete liar and
    > fraud. Think someone like Liarnut for example. Or worse. Willy Poaster.

    My first version of Linux was a Slackware CD from the back of a Linux
    Unleashed Book.
    My CDROM player was an abortion that connected to the sound card and thus
    wasn't supported yet by Linux so I made like 35 1.44mb diskettes and
    installed Slackware. This was back in the early 1990s or there about.

    From there I progressed to Redhat and then boxed sets of Suse because they
    had great books included back then and you could purchase Suse at Barnes
    and Noble bookstores.

    Over the years I have tried most mainstream versions of Linux and while
    Linux has improved 1000000 percent since the early days, the truth is that
    for average Joe Linux is just not as good as Windows or not good enough to
    make Joe move from Windows to Linux like many are doing with the Mac.

    I've promoted Linux to people I felt would appreciate it and I can't recall
    a single person who has stayed with Linux except one recording studio that
    uses Redhat Linux to run the servers they use for backup and archiving.

    The truth is people *want* and alternative to Windows, and in the worst way
    especially since Vista is getting a lot of bad press.

    Linux just isn't that alternative and while people try Linux over and over
    again the story is still the same for most of them and it boils down to
    having too many problems with Linux applications, support for multimedia
    devices, sharing of data between them and the outside world which runs data
    and not being able to get decent help without searching the Internet and
    filtering out all the outdated information.

    Linux is going to remain a geeks joy but a stinker for average Joe until it
    offers a reason for Joe to trash all his Windows software and move to
    Linux.
    One look at the amateurish applications is usually more than enough for Joe
    to run back to Windows.

    My advice to Linux is to follow Redhat and give up on the consumer desktop
    so you can concentrate on servers and embedded devices.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  5. Re: How long have you been a Linux user?

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  6. Re: How long have you been a Linux user?

    * The Ghost In The Machine peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Feh.

    That's a nice little app. I use it to preview and set my computers'
    wallpaper: tiled at 1920x1200x2

    > I use 1680x1050 on the one monitor here at work
    > (it's a Samsung flatscreen); the other one can go as high
    > as 2048x1536 -- as far as my laptop's concerned, anyway.
    > One supported resolution is 1920x1440. :-)

    I wonder if 1920x1200x2 is reported as 3840x1200?

    --
    Does the e-mail say it's about 'enlargement' -- that might be spam.
    -- Bill Gates, BBC News (24 January 2004)

  7. Re: How long have you been a Linux user?

    * The Ghost In The Machine peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >> Who care? I get to use Linux and home and at work, and so I'm a pretty
    >> happy camper.

    > And it works well, though for some reason Linux and our main file
    > storage don't like each other when it comes to zero-length files.

    That's not Linux, that's your file-system!

    --
    Just in terms of allocation of time resources, religion is not very
    efficient. There's a lot more I could be doing on a Sunday morning.

  8. Don Zeigler 304-425-3400 - The name shifting asshole spammer has been caught

    "Anonymous Sender" wrote in message
    news:835cda2bee4c40abe3945d82a612f1d4@remailer.met acolo.com...
    > Poopy Pants McGee wrote:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb is flatfish (in real life Gary Stewart)
    >>
    >> http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/2008/...arb-troll.html
    >> http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/2007/...ish-troll.html
    >>
    >> Traits:
    >>
    >> * Nym shifting (see below)
    >> * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    >> * Homophobic
    >> * Racist
    >> * Habitual liar
    >> * Frequently cross posts replies to other non-Linux related
    >> newsgroups
    >> * Frequently cross posts articles originally not posted to COLA

    > Tattoovampire, 48 years old from Bluefield, West Virginia, USA.
    >

    > FOAD Don

    Don "asshole face" Zeigler is the scumbag spammer. He accidently revealed
    his identity.

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....d?dmode=source

  9. Re: How long have you been a Linux user?

    * AqD peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > On May 16, 8:03 am, Linonut wrote:
    >
    >> The only thing that really changes is the /person/. Linux has been
    >> quite mature and usable for a few years now.
    >>
    >> It is the person who finally decides to stick with Linux that has
    >> evolved.

    > Ah no.
    >
    > When I came to use linux in 1997, gnome wasn't here yet (I saw the
    > news saying gnome team was formed). There was KDE but it's far from a
    > desktop environment.

    Well, I started with a few years later. But my statement still stands,
    since it has been a few years (roughly 8) since I started with Linux.

    > And the X at that time SUCKS - no graphics driver
    > supported officially (like nVIDIA and ATI now), and you would THANK
    > GOD if it happens to work on your PC, even if there is probably no 3D
    > acceleration (but there were 3D games already :P).

    When I started with it, Gnome was just fine, quite on par with Windows
    NT 4. And the whole LGX (Linux/GNU/X-Windows) systems was very
    competitive with Win 2000 when that came out, and it worked better.

    > There was no openoffice, no firefox or mozilla. The majority of GUI
    > applications at that time are built on the awful motif or Xaw
    > toolkits: the rendering was not double-buffered and had damn
    > flickering just like windows, and most fonts are bitmapped - not the
    > beautiful truetype/postscript font with anti-aliasing and hinting and
    > support various encodings! The linux desktop at that time was HORRIBLE
    > and nearly USELESS without xterm.

    Big deal. When I came in, there was Abiword, Gnumeric, Pan, Balsa, and
    the old standby, Netscape Navigator and email/news client. That was
    only two/three years later.

    And today? My God, GNU/Linux functionality kicks Windows ass in so many
    ways.

    > You're not old enough, old guy.

    You're trying to compare an infant with a youth, young guy.

    Besides, I was using Sun OS around 1992, five years before your Linux
    experience, and it was pretty cool. Networked graphics, the ability
    to capture other people's screens, the ability to send sounds to their
    desktop... Comparable to Windows 3.0 in looks, but far superior in
    almost every other way.

    In any case, if magically Windows were to disappear entirely today, I
    would not miss it. Not in the least. It is a confining, and somewhat
    boring environment. But that's just me.

    --
    If you think your teacher is tough, wait until you get a boss. He doesn't
    have tenure.

  10. Re: How long have you been a Linux user?

    "Linonut" wrote in message
    news:_agXj.67318$%15.10948@bignews7.bellsouth.net. ..
    >* AqD peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> On May 16, 8:03 am, Linonut wrote:

    > In any case, if magically Windows were to disappear entirely today, I
    > would not miss it. Not in the least. It is a confining, and somewhat
    > boring environment. But that's just me.

    Except for the fact that you and 90% of the COLA "advocates" would become
    unemployed Windows programmers.

  11. Re: How long have you been a Linux user?

    AqD wrote:
    > There was no openoffice,

    Wordperfect? I know wordperfect 8 was available for linux in around '99...
    Was it available in an earlier version in 97?

    > no firefox or mozilla.

    Netscape. So yes, you had mozilla's earlier incarnation. No problem there...

    > The majority of GUI
    > applications at that time are built on the awful motif or Xaw
    > toolkits:

    ewwww.. don't remind me.

  12. Re: How long have you been a Linux user?

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Linonut

    wrote
    on Fri, 16 May 2008 09:33:54 -0400
    :
    > * The Ghost In The Machine peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >>> Who care? I get to use Linux and home and at work, and so I'm a pretty
    >>> happy camper.

    >> And it works well, though for some reason Linux and our main file
    >> storage don't like each other when it comes to zero-length files.

    > That's not Linux, that's your file-system!

    It takes two to communicate. Of course Linux code
    I can look at and see how well it handles common
    hissy-fits...erm, I mean, minor communications protocol
    infractions from the other side. The other side?
    Not so simple.

    I'll have to investigate mounting a Linux-implemented
    samba file from my Linux box. This sounds weird,
    but I rather doubt the problem's anywhere near Linux.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    /dev/signature: Resource temporarily unavailable

  13. Re: How long have you been a Linux user?

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Linonut

    wrote
    on Fri, 16 May 2008 09:32:13 -0400
    <50gXj.67313$%15.12044@bignews7.bellsouth.net>:
    > * The Ghost In The Machine peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> Feh.

    > That's a nice little app. I use it to preview and set my computers'
    > wallpaper: tiled at 1920x1200x2

    There *is* such a thing?! Gods.

    If there's one thing about OSS that I'm not that fond of,
    it's the oddball naming conventions -- but it does make
    things interesting. ;-)

    Turns out I can

    # emerge media-gfx/feh

    on Gentoo, were I so inclined. (Learn something new every day...)

    >> I use 1680x1050 on the one monitor here at work
    >> (it's a Samsung flatscreen); the other one can go as high
    >> as 2048x1536 -- as far as my laptop's concerned, anyway.
    >> One supported resolution is 1920x1440. :-)

    > I wonder if 1920x1200x2 is reported as 3840x1200?

    Depends on the setup. What little poking around I've done
    suggests there are several methods; the simplest one is
    to embed a dual-monitor setup in a single virtual screen.
    To that end, the one screen would be positioned at (0,0),
    the other somewhere else; a left-right setup would have
    the second screen at (1920,0).

    There are issues if the screens are different heights.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    /dev/signature: Resource temporarily unavailable

  14. Re: How long have you been a Linux user?

    On Fri, 16 May 2008 08:46:48 -0700, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Linonut
    >
    > wrote
    > on Fri, 16 May 2008 09:33:54 -0400
    > :
    >> * The Ghost In The Machine peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> And it works well, though for some reason Linux and our main file
    >>> storage don't like each other when it comes to zero-length files.

    >> That's not Linux, that's your file-system!
    >>

    > It takes two to communicate. Of course Linux code
    > I can look at and see how well it handles common
    > hissy-fits...erm, I mean, minor communications protocol
    > infractions from the other side. The other side?
    > Not so simple.
    >
    > I'll have to investigate mounting a Linux-implemented
    > samba file from my Linux box. This sounds weird,
    > but I rather doubt the problem's anywhere near Linux.

    Looks like a new variation on the "Linux is the kernel" dance.
    Or the sequel, "Linux is NOT the kernal" dance.
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  15. Re: How long have you been a Linux user?

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb

    wrote
    on Fri, 16 May 2008 12:07:06 -0400
    <1e1b1dafaklca.tp2o5qt6ht8l.dlg@40tude.net>:
    > On Fri, 16 May 2008 08:46:48 -0700, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Linonut
    >>
    >> wrote
    >> on Fri, 16 May 2008 09:33:54 -0400
    >> :
    >>> * The Ghost In The Machine peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> That's not Linux, that's your file-system!
    >>>

    >> It takes two to communicate. Of course Linux code
    >> I can look at and see how well it handles common
    >> hissy-fits...erm, I mean, minor communications protocol
    >> infractions from the other side. The other side?
    >> Not so simple.
    >>
    >> I'll have to investigate mounting a Linux-implemented
    >> samba file from my Linux box. This sounds weird,
    >> but I rather doubt the problem's anywhere near Linux.

    > Looks like a new variation on the "Linux is the kernel" dance.
    > Or the sequel, "Linux is NOT the kernal" dance.

    The problem's squarely in Linux (Win-Win communications is
    fine). The good news: we can at least verify that it is.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Murphy was an optimist.

  16. Re: How long have you been a Linux user?

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  17. Don Zeigler 304-409-4342 - The name shifting asshole spammer has been caught

    Don Zeigler 304-409-4342 - The name shifting asshole spammer has been
    caught

    "Anonymous Sender" wrote in message
    news:835cda2bee4c40abe3945d82a612f1d4@remailer.met acolo.com...
    > Poopy Pants McGee wrote:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb is flatfish (in real life Gary Stewart)
    >>
    >> http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/2008/...arb-troll.html
    >> http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/2007/...ish-troll.html
    >>
    >> Traits:
    >>
    >> * Nym shifting (see below)
    >> * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    >> * Homophobic
    >> * Racist
    >> * Habitual liar
    >> * Frequently cross posts replies to other non-Linux related
    >> newsgroups
    >> * Frequently cross posts articles originally not posted to COLA

    > Tattoovampire, 48 years old from Bluefield, West Virginia, USA.
    >

    > FOAD Don

    Don "asshole face" Zeigler is the scumbag spammer. He accidently revealed
    his identity.

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....d?dmode=source

  18. Re: How long have you been a Linux user?

    > * AqD peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >> The majority of GUI applications at that time are built on the
    >> awful motif

    I used Motif on Ultrix years before there even /was/ Linux, and I can't
    say it was that awful compared to anything else at the time, much of
    which was predominantly terminal based, but even as GUI's became more
    common, it seemed pretty good to me. AFAIAC the worst thing any GUI can
    do is get in the way, which is one of the many reasons I despise
    Windows, and why I tend to use Fluxbox quite a bit.

    > In any case, if magically Windows were to disappear entirely today, I
    > would not miss it. Not in the least. It is a confining, and
    > somewhat boring environment. But that's just me.

    You're not alone.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    20:14:07 up 147 days, 16:49, 5 users, load average: 0.33, 0.31, 0.21

  19. Re: How long have you been a Linux user?

    Ezekiel wrote:
    > "Linonut" wrote in message
    > news:_agXj.67318$%15.10948@bignews7.bellsouth.net. ..
    >> * AqD peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >>
    >>> On May 16, 8:03 am, Linonut wrote:

    >> In any case, if magically Windows were to disappear entirely today, I
    >> would not miss it. Not in the least. It is a confining, and
    >> somewhat boring environment. But that's just me.

    > Except for the fact that you and 90% of the COLA "advocates" would
    > become unemployed Windows programmers.

    No no no. Linocrite is a "cross-platform" developer. So is Ian Hilliard.

  20. Re: How long have you been a Linux user?

    On May 16, 9:43 pm, Linonut wrote:
    > *AqDperemptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    > > On May 16, 8:03 am, Linonut wrote:

    > >> The only thing that really changes is the /person/. Linux has been
    > >> quite mature and usable for a few years now.

    > >> It is the person who finally decides to stick with Linux that has
    > >> evolved.

    > > Ah no.

    > > When I came to use linux in 1997, gnome wasn't here yet (I saw the
    > > news saying gnome team was formed). There was KDE but it's far from a
    > > desktop environment.

    > Well, I started with a few years later. But my statement still stands,
    > since it has been a few years (roughly 8) since I started with Linux.

    You claim the time doesn't matter, yet it does.

    > > And the X at that time SUCKS - no graphics driver
    > > supported officially (like nVIDIA and ATI now), and you would THANK
    > > GOD if it happens to work on your PC, even if there is probably no 3D
    > > acceleration (but there were 3D games already :P).

    > When I started with it, Gnome was just fine, quite on par with Windows
    > NT 4. And the whole LGX (Linux/GNU/X-Windows) systems was very
    > competitive with Win 2000 when that came out, and it worked better.

    The core functions, yes. But most PC users would NOT use an OS which
    lack office suites and other basic applications.

    > > There was no openoffice, no firefox or mozilla. The majority of GUI
    > > applications at that time are built on the awful motif or Xaw
    > > toolkits: the rendering was not double-buffered and had damn
    > > flickering just like windows, and most fonts are bitmapped - not the
    > > beautiful truetype/postscript font with anti-aliasing and hinting and
    > > support various encodings! The linux desktop at that time was HORRIBLE
    > > and nearly USELESS without xterm.

    > Big deal. When I came in, there was Abiword, Gnumeric, Pan, Balsa, and
    > the old standby, Netscape Navigator and email/news client. That was
    > only two/three years later.

    Abiword cannot open CJK documents correctly (even now), which make it
    useless for the majority of humans.

    Gnumeric is better but it fails to support text format in cells, which
    has nothing to do with spreadsheet but most people use it anyway.

    Both didn't exist back in 1997. The only free linux office suite at
    that time was the Siag office (?), which is incompatible with all
    other major office suites and lacks support for non-english languages.

    > And today? My God, GNU/Linux functionality kicks Windows ass in so many
    > ways.
    >
    > > You're not old enough, old guy.

    > You're trying to compare an infant with a youth, young guy.

    So your claim is false, because linux in 1997 indeed sucked.

    > Besides, I was using Sun OS around 1992, five years before your Linux
    > experience, and it was pretty cool. Networked graphics, the ability
    > to capture other people's screens, the ability to send sounds to their
    > desktop... Comparable to Windows 3.0 in looks, but far superior in
    > almost every other way.

    Sun OS desktop was far better than linux GUI at that time.