Cheap Walk-in Ubuntu Laptop? Nope....not at BestBuy - Linux

This is a discussion on Cheap Walk-in Ubuntu Laptop? Nope....not at BestBuy - Linux ; Check this out: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1179877238966 A full size laptop for under $400 -- but it has to have Vista "preloaded" on it. I defy you to find me a single store in America where I can walk in off the street, ...

  1. Cheap Walk-in Ubuntu Laptop? Nope....not at BestBuy

    Check this out:

    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1179877238966

    A full size laptop for under $400 -- but it has to have Vista
    "preloaded" on it.

    I defy you to find me a single store in America where I can walk in
    off the street, plunk down 400 bucks and take home a Linux laptop.

  2. Re: Cheap Walk-in Ubuntu Laptop? Nope....not at BestBuy

    "John Bailo, Texeme.Construct" wrote in message
    news:1190730317.646770.54520@n39g2000hsh.googlegro ups.com...

    > Check this out:
    >
    > http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1179877238966
    >
    > A full size laptop for under $400 -- but it has to have Vista
    > "preloaded" on it.

    "Under $400" sounds like $399 - the price is actually $349 or "under $350"
    in marketing speak.

    > I defy you to find me a single store in America where I can walk in
    > off the street, plunk down 400 bucks and take home a Linux laptop.

    Maybe not 'off the street' but if you're willing to wait a couple of weeks
    for delivery Emperor Linux ( http://www.emperorlinux.com/mfgr/dell/rhino/ )
    will gladly sell you a $1349 Dell Latitude 830 laptop for just $2270. Or if
    you want they'll sell you a Dell Latitude M90 laptop for *just* $5990
    dollars. Sure you pay a LOT more but it comes with "free" linux and you
    don't have to pay that dreaded Microsoft tax.

  3. Re: Cheap Walk-in Ubuntu Laptop? Nope....not at BestBuy

    John Bailo, Texeme.Construct wrote:
    > Check this out:
    >
    > http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1179877238966
    >
    > A full size laptop for under $400 -- but it has to have Vista
    > "preloaded" on it.
    >
    > I defy you to find me a single store in America where I can walk in
    > off the street, plunk down 400 bucks and take home a Linux laptop.

    There's a mom and pop store down the way that has some Linux models.

  4. Re: Cheap Walk-in Ubuntu Laptop? Nope....not at BestBuy

    John Bailo, Texeme.Construct wrote:

    > Check this out:
    >
    > http://www.bestbuy.com/site

    olspage.jsp?skuId=8398744&type=product&id=1179877238966

    > A full size laptop for under $400 -- but it has to have Vista
    > "preloaded" on it.
    >
    > I defy you to find me a single store in America where I can walk in
    > off the street, plunk down 400 bucks and take home a Linux laptop.

    You should be legally able to buy the PC and claim full refund
    for all software installed on it under existing consumer protection laws.

    If you don't get a FULL refund, then the company has installed
    an ABUSIVE REFUNDS POLICY. A class action suit can bring such
    companies down - because they are not supposed to mix up their
    margins and costs and obtain benefits from you by shoveling their margins
    into the costs of refund. That is illegal.

  5. Re: Cheap Walk-in Ubuntu Laptop? Nope....not at BestBuy

    John Bailo, Texeme.Construct wrote:
    > Check this out:
    >
    > http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1179877238966
    >
    > A full size laptop for under $400 -- but it has to have Vista
    > "preloaded" on it.
    >
    > I defy you to find me a single store in America where I can walk in
    > off the street, plunk down 400 bucks and take home a Linux laptop.

    Probably not gonna happen. Emperor Computers takes a Dell Latitude D820
    ($1420 last I checked at Dell) and charges $600 just to install Linux
    (Emperor Rhino model for $2040).

    Could be a business opportunity for you, Jabba....

    What's that? You think the OEM should take the financial risk of building
    and selling Linux systems, but you won't?

+ Reply to Thread