[News] OpenOffice.org 3 Praised, Microsoft Keeps Breaking ISO Rules - Linux

  1. [News] OpenOffice.org 3 Praised, Microsoft Keeps Breaking ISO Rules

    Review of the New OpenOffice 3 beta

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Our favorite office app, OpenOffice has just released the OOo 3.0 beta
    | version. My review can be summed up in two words: it rocks!
    `----

    http://opencomputer.net/2008/05/15/r...office-3-beta/

    The standard that was not and the Hague Declaration

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | We are on the 14 th of May and OOXML is an ISO standard. Slight problem:
    | there is no known specification or definitive draft of that ISO standard.
    `----

    http://standardsandfreedom.net/index...e-declaration/

    Recent:

    OpenOffice.org obeys Moore's Law?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Back to the Laws. Has the OpenOffice.org installation size indeed followed
    | the general trend of growth in PC disk capacity? This chart, which compares
    | the hard drive capacity to OpenOffice.org installations, indicates the answer
    | is no. In 2002, OpenOffice.org version 1.0.1 consumes 0.45% of a then-common
    | 40GB drive. In 2008, version 2.4.0 consumes 0.15% of a 250GB drive—common on
    | new systems today—and even less of the monster 1TB drives available.
    | OpenOffice.org has grown slower than predicted.
    `----

    http://www.oooninja.com/2008/05/open...law-obeys.html

    OpenOffice.org 3.0 Beta: Creativity Extended

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | As you can see the 3.0 will sport a number of very interesting and useful
    | features, such as the ability to import PDF documents, switching language
    | inside one document, a new StartCenter, new icons, etc.I wanted to go a bit
    | beyond the list of new features and tell you about the effect that
    | OpenOffice.org 3.0 will have on its users and ultimately on the way we create
    | content share it and stay happily productive in this always-on world.
    `----

    http://standardsandfreedom.net/index...vity-extended/

    Test Drive OpenOffice 3 Beta in Ubuntu

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I wouldn’t yet do any serious work with this beta release, but I haven’t had
    | any issues with it so far. OpenOffice 3 is looking good!
    `----

    http://tombuntu.com/index.php/2008/0...eta-in-ubuntu/

    OpenOffice.org 3.0 beta shrugs off X11

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The OpenOffice.org Community has announced the public beta release of
    | OpenOffice.org 3.0, a new version of the free office productivity software
    | suite for various platforms including Mac OS X.
    `----

    http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/...rss-linux-news

    First look: OpenOffice.org 3.0 beta a big step forward

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Overall, OpenOffice.org 3.0 beta feels like a solid evolutionary update with
    | a handful of new features that will be useful to various niche user groups.
    | It certainly is still a beta, however, as the suite crashed at least once on
    | both Windows Vista and Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard during testing. If you want to
    | put a copy of your own through its paces, though, compiled versions for
    | Linux, Solaris, Windows, and Mac OS X (Intel Macs only) are available now
    | from OpenOffice.org's beta download site.
    `----

    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...p-forward.html

    Britain complains to EU about Microsoft file system

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A British watchdog agency said Tuesday it had complained to European Union
    | regulators that Microsoft Corp.'s new file format for storing documents
    | discouraged competition.
    `----

    http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5i...6si3QD90KT7701

    Agency says Microsoft hurts student interests

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A government agency has told the European Commission that Microsoft Office
    | works poorly with rival software used in schools, hurting the interests of
    | learners, teachers and parents.
    `----

    http://uk.reuters.com/article/govern...56586720080513

    OOXML: Wasn't There Supposed to be a Final Text Within a Month?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Not to burst any bubbles, but I think the ISO folks have failed to follow the
    | rules.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Personally, I seem to be losing count already of rules breached, but some of
    | you are anal types and probably have charts and graphs and spreadsheets,
    | because you haven't yet fully grasped the insouciant breeziness of the
    | standards process in our modern world. *
    `----

    Shenanigans Alleged on Road to OOXML Vote

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The events leading up to the ISO's decision on OOXML can best be described as
    | strange.
    |
    | Take the case of KT 182, the Polish technical committee responsible for the
    | OOXML standardization process, as described on Groklaw: Chairperson Elzbieta
    | Andrukiewicz was instructed that KT 182 should abstain from voting if a
    | consensus was not achieved. Well, it wasn't, and she said the members who
    | were absent could vote by e-mail E-Mail Marketing Software - Free Trial.
    | Click Here. -- but if they didn't vote, she'd take their non-response as a
    | yes.
    |
    | Later, when presenting the results of the ballot resolution, she showed a
    | slide that claimed 98 percent of the OOXML issues had been resolved during
    | the KT 182 meeting.
    |
    | When reminded this wasn't true, and told that the author of the PowerPoint
    | file was Paul Pesch, platform strategy manager at Microsoft Netherlands, she
    | threatened to sue anyone who repeated the assertion that Pesch was the
    | author.
    |
    | That slide had been shown at another meeting, and one of the Brazilian
    | delegates had complained about it.
    `----

  2. Re: [News] OpenOffice.org 3 Praised, Microsoft Keeps Breaking ISO Rules

    > Review of the New OpenOffice 3 beta
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Our favorite office app, OpenOffice has just released the OOo 3.0 beta
    >| version. My review can be summed up in two words: it rocks!
    > `----
    >
    > http://opencomputer.net/2008/05/15/r...office-3-beta/

    The new openoffice.org web site is pretty clean-looking, too. The MySQL
    logo appears.

    The author says that oocalc used to support only 256 columns, and now it
    supports 1024. Still seems pretty small.

    --
    Microsoft has had clear competitors in the past. It's a good thing we have
    museums to document that.

+ Reply to Thread