[News] Flash 10 for GNU/Linux Finally a First-Class Citizen - Linux

  1. [News] Flash 10 for GNU/Linux Finally a First-Class Citizen

    Flash Player 10: Dazzling Effects, Better Performance, Runs on Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Once piece of welcome news is that Adobe is releasing the Flash Player 10
    | beta for all major platforms — Windows, Mac and Linux. Adobe has even upped
    | the Linux ante with a new installer specially tailored for Ubuntu users.
    | Barclay says that Adobe considers Linux a major platform and will continue to
    | make all Flash releases simultaneous across platforms.
    `----

    http://blog.wired.com/monkeybites/20...player-10.html

    Do new Web tools spell doom for the browser?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Twhirl is built on Adobe AIR, which has a lightweight client library that
    | allows Web developers to use familiar tools and languages to build
    | first-class desktop applications. Software created with AIR is fully
    | interactive and network-enabled, with a rich UI. But unlike traditional Web
    | applications, AIR apps gain the immediacy and user engagement that come from
    | running outside the browser window.
    `----

    http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/...lopment_1.html

    Recent:

    Free Flash community reacts to Adobe Open Screen Project

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Both Otte and Savoye do see some limited good coming out of the Open Screen
    | Project. Otte suggests that the growing openness of Adobe might help to
    | reduce the reservations in the free software community about working to
    | reproduce proprietary technologies, as well as "the general 'flash is evil'
    | attitude" that prevails in the community."
    |
    | Moreover, both Otte and Savoye see the announcement as a hopeful sign. "I
    | think Adobe will open up Flash in the end, or at least the Flash player,"
    | ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    | Otte says.
    |
    | Savoye expresses the same hope, although he notes that, "I've been told by
    | people at Adobe that their Flash player has so many other people's
    | intellectual property in it that they can never free up the code." However,
    | he adds that examples like Sun's removal of propriety elements from the
    | original StarOffice code to produce OpenOffice.org and its current efforts
    | with Java indicate that the move is not impossible. "The trick is, are they
    | going to make that kind of commitment?" he asks.
    `----

    http://www.linux.com/feature/134378

    Adobe Drops Licensing Fees, Gives Away Flash For Devices

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Software maker Adobe announced Thursday that it would drop many of the
    | licensing requirements attached to its Flash technology, which is used to
    | display video and audio content on the web.
    `----

    http://blog.wired.com/monkeybites/20...drops-lic.html

    Adobe Joins Linux Foundation But Forgets About Flash for Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I would hope that Zemlin will encourage Adobe to now treat Linux as a first
    | class citizen as opposed to an afterthought for release after Windows.
    |
    | I hope Zemlin will pressure Adobe to finally actually make Flash -- not just
    | the player -- but Flash CS3 Professional, (the core Flash development tool)
    | available for Linux as a fully commercially available and supported product.
    | It is somewhat ironic in my opinion that Adobe can join the Linux Foundation,
    | claim to support Linux and yet not offer its flagship Flash development tool
    | on Linux.
    `----

    http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner...ndation-b.html

  2. Re: [News] Flash 10 for GNU/Linux Finally a First-Class Citizen

    > Flash Player 10: Dazzling Effects, Better Performance, Runs on Linux

    Have they done the 64-bit version yet?

    Adobe's Tom Barclay says "Adobe is not currently providing a 64-bit
    version of Flash Player 10."
    Will they ever?

    I'm running a full 64-bit OS, including applications and games, created
    and distributed Free by a handful of unpaid volunteers, and Adobe (one
    of the world's biggest software companies) can't even rebuild a single
    little plugin for 64-bit.

    Shameful.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    04:34:25 up 147 days, 1:10, 6 users, load average: 1.27, 0.72, 0.44

  3. Re: [News] Flash 10 for GNU/Linux Finally a First-Class Citizen

    * Homer peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >> Flash Player 10: Dazzling Effects, Better Performance, Runs on Linux

    > Have they done the 64-bit version yet?
    >

    > Adobe's Tom Barclay says "Adobe is not currently providing a 64-bit
    > version of Flash Player 10."
    >

    > Will they ever?
    >
    > I'm running a full 64-bit OS, including applications and games, created
    > and distributed Free by a handful of unpaid volunteers, and Adobe (one
    > of the world's biggest software companies) can't even rebuild a single
    > little plugin for 64-bit.
    >
    > Shameful.

    Very. Even a little team like the fluxbox team supports 64-bit.

    And Adobe can't make a business case for it?

    Even Microsoft seems to be slowly getting ready for the 64-bit world.

    --
    I laid out memory so the bottom 640K was general purpose RAM and the upper
    384 I reserved for video and ROM, and things like that. That is why they

+ Reply to Thread