path over 4096 ... :( ?? - Linux

This is a discussion on path over 4096 ... :( ?? - Linux ; Hi, While trying to search for a file in linux machine using the 'locate' command, I get the below error : [root@localhost linux]# locate buildrule.mk slocate fluky bug found. Ack! This shouldn't happen unless you have a path over 4096. ...

  1. path over 4096 ... :( ??

    Hi,
    While trying to search for a file in linux machine using the 'locate'
    command, I get the below error :

    [root@localhost linux]# locate buildrule.mk
    slocate fluky bug found.
    Ack! This shouldn't happen unless you have a path over 4096.
    This could also be a bogus or corrupt database.

    I use 2.6 linux. Any ideas to overcome this problem ?

    Thx in advans,
    Karthik Balaguru

  2. Re: path over 4096 ... :( ??

    karthikbalaguru wrote:
    > Hi,
    > While trying to search for a file in linux machine using the 'locate'
    > command, I get the below error :
    >
    > [root@localhost linux]# locate buildrule.mk
    > slocate fluky bug found.
    > Ack! This shouldn't happen unless you have a path over 4096.
    > This could also be a bogus or corrupt database.
    >
    > I use 2.6 linux. Any ideas to overcome this problem ?
    >
    > Thx in advans,
    > Karthik Balaguru

    yeah don't have paths over 4096.

  3. Re: path over 4096 ... :( ??

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Phil Da Lick!

    wrote
    on Thu, 15 May 2008 13:28:01 +0100
    :
    > karthikbalaguru wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >> While trying to search for a file in linux machine using the 'locate'
    >> command, I get the below error :
    >>
    >> [root@localhost linux]# locate buildrule.mk
    >> slocate fluky bug found.
    >> Ack! This shouldn't happen unless you have a path over 4096.
    >> This could also be a bogus or corrupt database.
    >>
    >> I use 2.6 linux. Any ideas to overcome this problem ?
    >>
    >> Thx in advans,
    >> Karthik Balaguru

    > yeah don't have paths over 4096.

    Attempting to create a hyper-long string of directories (basically
    0/1/2/3/...) leads to some interesting problems, mostly because getcwd()
    complains about "path too long".

    mkdir longpath
    cd longpath
    i=0;while [ $i -lt 1037 ]; do mkdir $i; cd $i; i=`expr $i + 1`; done

    (the exact number may vary, depending on longpath's location
    in the tree)

    slocate didn't reproduce this particular error for me, but it also
    didn't catalog directory '1036'.

    Fortunately, 'rm -rf' still works on directory '0'. ;-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    fortune: not found