[News] IBM Puts GNU/Linux on Cell Blades (HPC), Cell-based PS3 a Success - Linux

  1. [News] IBM Puts GNU/Linux on Cell Blades (HPC), Cell-based PS3 a Success

    IBM launches Cell blades for HPC

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Bladecenter QS22 systems will run Red Hat Enterprise Linux and include
    | IBM's open sauce Eclipse development environment. IBM claims its new QS22
    | systems can be integrated with x86 based servers in customers' data centers.
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...ell-blades-hpc

    The Blade-based PS3 does well (used for Linux in some homes and clusters)...

    Playstation3 helps Sony triple annual profit

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Strong sales of the Playstation 3 as well as increased sales of electronics
    | in general propped up the company's figures following poor results in its
    | film and financial sectors, and millions of dollars of operating losses
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...ps-sony-triple

    Sony: world PS3 sales pass 12.8m consoles

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Strong sales across all of Sony’s PlayStation hardware range over the past
    | financial year have left the electronics giant feeling confident that it can
    | still fend off Microsoft’s Xbox 360.
    `----

    http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/05...on_sales_rise/

    Yesterday:

    Microsoft’s Xbox 360 sinking quickly in face of opposition from PS3 and Wii

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Even though Microsoft just came off a great year in 2007 with the release of
    | exclusive blockbuster titles such as Halo 3, Bioshock and Forza 2 they are
    | now in a much weaker position more than ever this year. The future is
    | starting to look a bit bleak for this console in face of stiff competition
    | from the Wii and PS3.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | If Microsoft does not change its business strategy of just relying on third
    | party titles, the Xbox 360 will find itself in a similar situation the
    | original Xbox was in. The future of any console’s success will be their first
    | party offerings and who can offer the most number of diverse titles and
    | blockbuster hits, will have the edge to wining the console war. However, with
    | Microsoft loosing four studios in the past few years analyst have questioned
    | if Microsoft Game Studios was built on quick sand.
    `----

    http://gamer.blorge.com/2008/05/12/m...m-ps3-and-wii/
    http://tinyurl.com/59flnv

  2. Re: [News] IBM Puts GNU/Linux on Cell Blades (HPC), Cell-based PS3 a Success

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > IBM launches Cell blades for HPC
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | The Bladecenter QS22 systems will run Red Hat Enterprise Linux and
    > | include IBM's open sauce Eclipse development environment. IBM claims its
    > | new QS22 systems can be integrated with x86 based servers in customers'
    > | data centers.
    > `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...ell-blades-hpc

    Dude... I'd give anything... to have a CELL powered rack. Can you imagine
    the power? A fully functional Cell server or desktop? I'd put Intel to
    Shame in seconds...

    And the best part... WINDOWS not supported...

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  3. Re: [News] IBM Puts GNU/Linux on Cell Blades (HPC), Cell-based PS3 a Success

    ____/ Jerry McBride on Thursday 15 May 2008 23:37 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> IBM launches Cell blades for HPC
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | The Bladecenter QS22 systems will run Red Hat Enterprise Linux and
    >> | include IBM's open sauce Eclipse development environment. IBM claims its
    >> | new QS22 systems can be integrated with x86 based servers in customers'
    >> | data centers.
    >> `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...ell-blades-hpc

    > Dude... I'd give anything... to have a CELL powered rack. Can you imagine
    > the power? A fully functional Cell server or desktop? I'd put Intel to
    > Shame in seconds...
    >

    > And the best part... WINDOWS not supported...

    Not even AMD (x86). ;-)

    XP SP3 crashes AMD machines

    ,----[ Quote ]

    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...s-amd-machines

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Here be hills, there be dragons!
    Swap: 1510068k total, 316596k used, 1193472k free, 63368k cached

  4. Re: [News] IBM Puts GNU/Linux on Cell Blades (HPC), Cell-based PS3 a Success

    wrote
    on Fri, 16 May 2008 01:13:54 +0100
    <2003721.ZIsJ9Cg9mz@schestowitz.com>:
    > ____/ Jerry McBride on Thursday 15 May 2008 23:37 : \____
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> IBM launches Cell blades for HPC
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>

    > http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...ell-blades-hpc
    >>

    >> Dude... I'd give anything... to have a CELL powered rack. Can you imagine
    >> the power? A fully functional Cell server or desktop? I'd put Intel to
    >> Shame in seconds...
    >>

    >> And the best part... WINDOWS not supported...

    > Not even AMD (x86). ;-)

    Ick. Good thing I'm not planning to install XP on my Athlon, then. :-)

    CELL might be fun to play with; certainly PS3 is Linux-capable.

    > XP SP3 crashes AMD machines
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | One user reported, "I just installed Windows XP SP3 and after completing the
    > | processes and when the system reboots, the system cannot proceed to load the
    > | Windows. It just displays the flash screen of Windows then after it reboots
    > | again."
    > |
    > | Angry users have also reported that, after the installation, it is not even
    > | possible to boot in safe mode, usually the last resort before setting up a
    > | repeated forehead/screen interface.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...s-amd-machines

    Windows. When it absolutely, positively has to work.
    (FSVO "absolutely", "positively", "has to", and "work".)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Been there, done that, didn't get the T-shirt.