Asus and Splashtop - Linux on 1,000,000 motherboards a month - Linux

This is a discussion on Asus and Splashtop - Linux on 1,000,000 motherboards a month - Linux ; http://hardware.slashdot.org/article...73220&from=rss Interesting to see what effect this has - a very easy way to get utility out of your PC if it's hosed, whatever OS it has installed...

  1. Asus and Splashtop - Linux on 1,000,000 motherboards a month

    http://hardware.slashdot.org/article...73220&from=rss

    Interesting to see what effect this has - a very easy way to get utility out
    of your PC if it's hosed, whatever OS it has installed

  2. Re: Asus and Splashtop - Linux on 1,000,000 motherboards a month

    Sean Inglis wrote:

    > http://hardware.slashdot.org/article...73220&from=rss
    >
    > Interesting to see what effect this has - a very easy way to get
    > utility out of your PC if it's hosed, whatever OS it has installed

    Oh, I'm sure you are making far too much of this, and that other
    manufacturers will be doing exactly the same with embedded-Vista before
    the month is out.....

    Asus you say?? Don't they also manufacture some small laptops (7" and
    9") with certain OS options, and ship them by the million....?
    Is it THAT Asus...?:-)

  3. Re: Asus and Splashtop - Linux on 1,000,000 motherboards a month

    ____/ bbgruff on Wednesday 14 May 2008 19:49 : \____

    > Sean Inglis wrote:
    >
    >> http://hardware.slashdot.org/article...73220&from=rss
    >>
    >> Interesting to see what effect this has - a very easy way to get
    >> utility out of your PC if it's hosed, whatever OS it has installed

    > Oh, I'm sure you are making far too much of this, and that other
    > manufacturers will be doing exactly the same with embedded-Vista before
    > the month is out.....
    >
    > Asus you say?? Don't they also manufacture some small laptops (7" and
    > 9") with certain OS options, and ship them by the million....?
    > Is it THAT Asus...?:-)

    I'm sure Microsoft will come out with some $18 embedded Windows (*chuckle*) and
    manage to /cripple/ the mobo somehow, all in response to Linux. Oh wait...
    these are not low-cost laptops and Microsoft software mobo can't work life
    SplashTop, can it?

    SplashTop has been out for over 6 months. It's nice to see Asustek taking it
    forward!

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Viruses to Linux are like cancer to a shark
    03:20:03 up 30 days, 1:32, 4 users, load average: 1.54, 1.61, 1.63

  4. Re: Asus and Splashtop - Linux on 1,000,000 motherboards a month

    "Sean Inglis" wrote in messsage
    > http://hardware.slashdot.org/article...73220&from=rss
    >
    > Interesting to see what effect this has - a very easy way to get utility
    > out
    > of your PC if it's hosed, whatever OS it has installed

    Since ISV's are not able to install additional Linux programs on the
    motherboards, I believe the effect will be limited. Linux will be able to
    claim more marketshare and market penetration but it will be of no use to
    software vendors.

  5. Re: Asus and Splashtop - Linux on 1,000,000 motherboards a month

    On 15 May, 07:24, "Jim Relsh" wrote:
    > "Sean Inglis" wrote in messsagenews:690ndiF2vmcmeU1@mid.individual.net...
    >
    > >http://hardware.slashdot.org/article...73220&from=rss

    > > Interesting to see what effect this has - a very easy way to get utility
    > > out
    > > of your PC if it's hosed, whatever OS it has installed

    > Since ISV's are not able to install additional Linux programs on the
    > motherboards, I believe the effect will be limited. Linux will be able to
    > claim more marketshare and market penetration but it will be of no use to
    > software vendors.

    Well, I'm not so sure. If it does enough of what people habitually
    want to do, you never know what knock-on effect that could have on the
    upgrade cycle.

  6. Re: Asus and Splashtop - Linux on 1,000,000 motherboards a month

    On Thu, 15 May 2008 08:24:35 +0200, Jim Relsh wrote:

    > "Sean Inglis" wrote in messsage
    >> http://hardware.slashdot.org/article...73220&from=rss
    >>
    >> Interesting to see what effect this has - a very easy way to get utility
    >> out
    >> of your PC if it's hosed, whatever OS it has installed

    > Since ISV's are not able to install additional Linux programs on the
    > motherboards, I believe the effect will be limited. Linux will be able to
    > claim more marketshare and market penetration but it will be of no use to
    > software vendors.

    It's a gimmick but I suppose it does somewhat guarantee that Linux will
    work with the hardware on those particular boards.

    Interesting how Asus went from being one of the most Linux hostile
    companies to actually supporting Linux.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots: