Microsoft’s plan to block Linux on laptops - Linux

This is a discussion on Microsoft’s plan to block Linux on laptops - Linux ; "Details of Microsoft’s recently announced plan to extend the life of Windows XP for ultra low-cost PCs are trickling out. IDG News got its hands on what it says are Microsoft documents outlining the program for PC manufacturers." [...] http://blogs.zdnet.com/computers/?p=170&tag=nl.e539 ...

  1. Microsoft’s plan to block Linux on laptops

    "Details of Microsoft’s recently announced plan to extend the life of
    Windows XP for ultra low-cost PCs are trickling out. IDG News got its
    hands on what it says are Microsoft documents outlining the program
    for PC manufacturers."

    [...]

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/computers/?p=170&tag=nl.e539
    http://tinyurl.com/44gqk2

    -RFH

  2. Re: Microsoft’s plan to block Linux on laptops

    "Ramon F Herrera" wrote in message

    "Details of Microsoft’s recently announced plan to extend the life of
    Windows XP for ultra low-cost PCs are trickling out. IDG News got its
    hands on what it says are Microsoft documents outlining the program
    for PC manufacturers."

    Hardly a plan, IMHO. Most manufacturers barely make a profit on PC's and
    laptops to putting Linux on it is a way for them to finally make some dough.
    Unless Microsoft drastically reduces the price of XP on such laptops (to $3
    or something in that neighborhood) I think many of them will push Linux.

  3. Re: Microsoft’s plan to block Linux on laptops

    On Wed, 14 May 2008 10:45:01 -0700 (PDT), Ramon F Herrera wrote:

    > "Details of Microsoft˘s recently announced plan to extend the life of
    > Windows XP for ultra low-cost PCs are trickling out. IDG News got its
    > hands on what it says are Microsoft documents outlining the program
    > for PC manufacturers."
    >
    > [...]
    >
    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/computers/?p=170&tag=nl.e539
    > http://tinyurl.com/44gqk2
    >
    > -RFH

    Microsoft should include a free Linux DVD with every version of Windows
    they sell.

    As people start hosing their systems with Linux, word will spread and
    Microsoft won't have to worry about Linux anymore!!

    You know what they say:

    "If you think you hate Linux now, wait until you actually use it!"
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  4. Re: Microsoft’s plan to block Linux on laptops

    Ramon F Herrera wrote:

    > "Details of Microsoft’s recently announced plan to extend the life of
    > Windows XP for ultra low-cost PCs are trickling out. IDG News got its
    > hands on what it says are Microsoft documents outlining the program
    > for PC manufacturers."

    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/computers/?p=170&tag=nl.e539
    > http://tinyurl.com/44gqk2

    With respect, I think that you and others are missing a point or two
    here, Ramon:-

    - We are concentrating on how MS is trying to counter a threat, rather
    than looking at the threat itself. They are doing that by
    back-tracking on their statement that they would cease to sell XP next
    month, AND they have reduced their price significantly. Why?:-)

    - I read recently that for the 7" version of the Asus, 70% were bought
    with Linux, 30% Windows. Also the statement that they "hoped to
    transpose those figures" with these moves.
    Hmmm.... straight from the horse's mouth, "only" 30% market share to
    Linux would be a victory....:-)

    - Finally (and most important imo) we have here a major player shipping
    Linux-ready machines by the million! On these, no more driver worries,
    etc.
    Further, Linux pre-installed.

    Don't forget:-
    Â* "...the Linux version is suited to users who desire an icon-driven and
    easy point-and-click interface – well suited for children or users with
    limited computer experience"!!!!!
    (please forgive my exclamation marks:-))

  5. Re: Microsoft?s plan to block Linux on laptops

    Ramon F Herrera wrote:

    > "Details of Microsoft?s recently announced plan to extend the life of
    > Windows XP for ultra low-cost PCs are trickling out. IDG News got its
    > hands on what it says are Microsoft documents outlining the program
    > for PC manufacturers."
    >
    > [...]
    >
    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/computers/?p=170&tag=nl.e539
    > http://tinyurl.com/44gqk2

    There is no reason why we the general public should have to
    be denied UMPC Linux laptops so that micoshaft may live.

    It is a gross market distortion and the EU regulators are gonna
    be fast asleep over this again?

  6. Re: Microsoft’s plan to block Linux on laptops

    Ramon F Herrera writes:

    > "Details of Microsoft’s recently announced plan to extend the life of
    > Windows XP for ultra low-cost PCs are trickling out. IDG News got its
    > hands on what it says are Microsoft documents outlining the program
    > for PC manufacturers."
    >
    > [...]
    >
    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/computers/?p=170&tag=nl.e539
    > http://tinyurl.com/44gqk2
    >
    > -RFH

    Why is anyone so surprised?

    When releasing a new product of course you make it out that older
    versions will be obsolete. Its what all businesses do .....

  7. Re: Microsoft’s plan to block Linux on laptops

    On Wed, 14 May 2008 21:53:43 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Ramon F Herrera writes:
    >
    >> "Details of Microsoft˘s recently announced plan to extend the life of
    >> Windows XP for ultra low-cost PCs are trickling out. IDG News got its
    >> hands on what it says are Microsoft documents outlining the program
    >> for PC manufacturers."
    >>
    >> [...]
    >>
    >> http://blogs.zdnet.com/computers/?p=170&tag=nl.e539
    >> http://tinyurl.com/44gqk2
    >>
    >> -RFH
    >>

    > Why is anyone so surprised?
    >
    > When releasing a new product of course you make it out that older
    > versions will be obsolete. Its what all businesses do .....

    Except in the Linux world where they release new distributions by the hour.
    The only problem is, most of them have the same exact short comings as the
    other distributions.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  8. Re: Microsoft?s plan to block Linux on laptops

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb

    wrote
    on Wed, 14 May 2008 17:45:06 -0400
    :
    > On Wed, 14 May 2008 21:53:43 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Ramon F Herrera writes:
    >>
    >>> "Details of Microsoft˘s recently announced plan to extend the life of
    >>> Windows XP for ultra low-cost PCs are trickling out. IDG News got its
    >>> hands on what it says are Microsoft documents outlining the program
    >>> for PC manufacturers."
    >>>
    >>> [...]
    >>>
    >>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/computers/?p=170&tag=nl.e539
    >>> http://tinyurl.com/44gqk2
    >>>
    >>> -RFH
    >>>

    >> Why is anyone so surprised?
    >>
    >> When releasing a new product of course you make it out that older
    >> versions will be obsolete. Its what all businesses do .....

    > Except in the Linux world where they release new distributions by the hour.

    That's right, and you're obliged to try EACH ONE.
    Multiple times, as new versions come out!

    Oh, the abject horror!

    Just Ubuntu alone has had *8* releases, with a 9th one
    planned, if not even more (Wiki isn't all that clear thereon):

    Warty Warthog
    Hoary Hedgehog
    Breezy Badger
    Dapper Drake
    Edgy Eft
    Feisty Fawn
    Gutsy Gibbon
    Hardy Heron
    Intrepid Ibex (planned)

    And then there's the revisions of the kernel itself, which
    number in the hundreds -- it might even have reached
    1000 by now, if one counts the 0.99, 1.0, and 1.2 variants.

    After all, XP has been exactly the same (except for the
    service patches) for six years, and while Vista is a huge
    upgrade, it won't change often either.

    Yes, too much change in Linux makes your head hurt, apparently.
    Can't be too careful.

    > The only problem is, most of them have the same exact short
    > comings as the other distributions.

    And of course you've enumerated each and every one.
    Busy little beav, aintcha?

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    /dev/signature: Not a text file

  9. Re: Microsoft’s plan to block Linux on laptops

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  10. Re: Microsoft’s plan to block Linux on laptops