[News] MSI Laptop Comes with Ballnux, Microsoft Worried About GNU/Linux ULPCs - Linux

  1. [News] MSI Laptop Comes with Ballnux, Microsoft Worried About GNU/Linux ULPCs

    MSI Wind officially unveiled

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | There will be a Novell Linux version and a Windows XP MSI Wind, similar to
    | how the Asus Eee. I do not know why MSI chose Novell Linux, seems a bit odd.
    `----

    http://www.i4u.com/article17213.html

    Microsoft worried over Linux ULPCs

    | An un-named Microsoft official quoted in the original article claims that
    | manufacturers currently offering Linux on their low-cost devices “have made
    | some good inroads with open-source, and Microsoft wants to put a stop to it.”
    `----

    http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/05...-linux-ulpcs/1

    Recent:

    Microsoft to limit capabilities of cheap laptops

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft plans to offer PC makers steep discounts on Windows XP Home Edition
    | to encourage them to use that OS instead of Linux on ultra low-cost PCs
    | (ULPCs). To be eligible, however, the PC vendors that make ULPCs must limit
    | screen sizes to 10.2 inches and hard drives to 80G bytes, and they cannot
    | offer touch-screen PCs.
    |
    | The program is outlined in confidential documents that Microsoft sent to PC
    | makers last month, and which were obtained by IDG News Service. The goal
    | apparently is to limit the hardware capabilities of ULPCs so that they don't
    | eat into the market for mainstream PCs running Windows Vista, something both
    | Microsoft and the PC vendors would want to avoid.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Microsoft notes that the OSes under consideration for the devices include
    | Windows and Linux. Some PC makers have expressed a preference for Linux
    | because it helps them keep down the cost of the devices.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | By offering Windows XP Home Edition at bargain prices, Microsoft hopes to
    | secure its place in the ULPC market and reduce the use of Linux, according to
    | an official at one PC maker, who asked not to be identified because he was
    | not authorized to discuss the program.
    |
    | "[Low-cost PC makers] have made some good inroads with open-source, and
    | Microsoft wants to put a stop to it," the official said.
    |
    | The official did not seem opposed to the program. It should stimulate more
    | competition between Windows and Linux in the ULPC market, and it could
    | invigorate sales because consumers who want an easy-to-use PC are likely to
    | prefer Windows, the official said.
    `----

    http://news.idg.no/cw/art.cfm?id=D04...0F5F4479DEEE86

    MSI Wind to see June launch

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Wind will come pre-installed with either Linux or Windows XP operating
    | systems and will boast Bluetooth 2.0 and a 1.3-megapixel webcam.
    `----

    http://news.sky.com/skynews/xml/arti...-14092,00.html

    Norhtec to Release Yet Another Sub-$300 Linux UMPC

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | According to Barnes, the Gecko laptop will be announced soon, and will hit
    | the market at a sub-$300 price tag, in order to compete with the other
    | 7-inchers of its kin. *
    `----

    http://news.softpedia.com/news/Norht...PC-80456.shtml

    Related:

    The £99 laptop: how can it be so cheap?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A new laptop computer for just £99 sounds like the kind of offer found in a
    | spam e-mail or on a dodgy auction website. But the British company Elonex is
    | launching the country’s first sub £100 computer later this month and hopes to
    | be making 200,000 of them by the summer. It will be aimed at schoolchildren
    | and teenagers, and looks set to throw the market for budget laptops wide
    | open. * *
    |
    | Called the One, it can be used as a traditional notebook computer or, with
    | the screen detached from the keyboard, as a portable “tablet” – albeit
    | without the planned touchscreen that Elonex had to abandon to hit its £99
    | price tag. Wi-fi technology lets users access the internet or swap music (and
    | homework) files between computers wirelessly. * *
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | The secret is simple: open-source software. The One runs on Linux, which is a
    | rival to Windows but completely free to use. Open-source software can be
    | freely swapped or modified by anyone who wants it. In the past such operating
    | systems (there are several of them) have been outgunned by the more
    | sophisticated Windows programs. However, an open-source operating system is
    | ideal for low-cost devices as it performs well on less powerful, cheaper
    | hardware. * * *
    `----

    http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/...cle3374812.ece

    Low-cost laptops make PC makers mull margins

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | “Computers have been an exception. If you look at consumer electronics, a DVD
    | player was about $800 10 years ago – now they sell for $20,” she says. “The
    | [computer] industry has been able to keep the price flat by focusing on
    | gazillion-gigahertz machines running really bloated software and that’s
    | worked for years since the IBM PC revolution.” * *
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | OLPC found a strong uptake for a “give one, get one” campaign it launched in
    | North America in November. It discovered consumers were willing to pay $400
    | for an XO – the price meant another XO would be given free to a
    | developing-world child. It is now launching OLPC America to extend the cheap
    | laptop concept for children in the US. * *
    `----

    http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/cfba14f4-c...0779fd2ac.html

    How will Linux win the OS wars? From the bottom up!

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | So therefore, best way to win the war of the operating systems is not to go
    | after the high end market. *
    `----

    http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=352

    Linux Has Won, Windows is Gone

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Sorry Windows you have already lost this battle. There is no way to reverse
    | this and no amount of incentives that Microsoft can offer to convince people
    | and governments that they will be safe if they switch back to Windows. Lets
    | be honest here for a moment. Would your trust America's nuclear technologies
    | to be run on Windows? What happens when it bluescreens, yeah you get my point
    | don't you? * *
    `----

    http://linuxhow2.com/News/Linux_Has_...s_is_Gone.html

  2. Re: [News] MSI Laptop Comes with Ballnux, Microsoft Worried About GNU/Linux ULPCs

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > MSI Wind officially unveiled
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | There will be a Novell Linux version and a Windows XP MSI Wind, similar
    > | to how the Asus Eee. I do not know why MSI chose Novell Linux, seems a
    > | bit odd.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.i4u.com/article17213.html
    >
    > Microsoft worried over Linux ULPCs

    > | An un-named Microsoft official quoted in the original article claims
    > | that manufacturers currently offering Linux on their low-cost devices
    > | ?have made some good inroads with open-source, and Microsoft wants to
    > | put a stop to it.?

    As a monopoly player, anything they do such as offering cash incentives
    and kick backs in foreign countries to where the crimes are committed
    amounts to market distortion and they should be fined tripple damages.

    There is no reason why you or I have to forego our Linux UMPCs
    so that micoshaft may live.

    If Taiwanese, Korean and other manufacturers are being strong armed
    by micoshaft, then they need to simultaneously file complaints in
    all the market places where micoshaft operates.
    Just the threat alone should be big enough for micoshaft
    to yield many concessions such as removing DRM, allowing
    their OS to be copied to allow faster repair, 100% virtualisation,
    and GPL the source of code - at least for all the driver
    and networking stuff.

    Yup - hit them in their nuts where it hurts most.

    And when the code is out in full GPL,
    you can gradually migrate to Linux and drop micoshaft if they
    misbehave. Misbehaviour like overcharging for licenses
    and dropping support will become a thing of the past.

    > http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/05/12

    microsoft-worried-over-linux-ulpcs/1

  3. Re: [News] MSI Laptop Comes with Ballnux, Microsoft Worried About GNU/Linux ULPCs

    On Wed, 14 May 2008 19:38:11 GMT, 7 wrote:

    > If Taiwanese, Korean and other manufacturers are being strong armed
    > by micoshaft, then they need to simultaneously file complaints in
    > all the market places where micoshaft operates.

    Actually in Korea the officials are being bribed by IBM.

    You know, the same IBM that is one of Linux's most vocal and powerful
    supporters.

    Try again.

    http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/en/doc/...ent_295633.htm

    "Some 48 South Korean government officials and corporate executives, mainly
    from IBM ventures, were charged with bribery in a case involving state
    contracts of computer parts and servers, prosecutors said on Monday.

    The indictments followed an investigation into allegations that executives
    at IBM Korea, a wholly owned unit of U.S. computer firm International
    Business Machines Corp, and LGIBMPC Corp, a joint venture with Korea's LG
    Electronics Inc, had bribed government officials to bag the deals. "

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  4. Re: [News] MSI Laptop Comes with Ballnux, Microsoft Worried About GNU/Linux ULPCs

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic