[News] [Rival] The Evil Side of Windows Vista: Users Reportedly Blocked from Recording - Linux

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] The Evil Side of Windows Vista: Users Reportedly Blocked from Recording

    ____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Wednesday 14 May 2008 17:14 : \____

    http://blogs.pcworld.co.nz/pcworld/t...ote_in_hi.html

    > Does it count as a suicide note if a company's slightly clueless? ;-)

    Well, once the suicide is implemented, so to speak, it's probably too late.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Web 2.0 is everything that can be spammed" --Unknown
    Tasks: 148 total, 1 running, 147 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie

  3. Re: [News] [Rival] The Evil Side of Windows Vista: Users Reportedly Blocked from Recording

    On 2008-05-14, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > ____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Wednesday 14 May 2008 17:14 : \____
    >
    >>> Related:
    >>>
    >>> The Longest Suicide Note in History
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `---- * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    This is precisely the sort of shenanigan that led me to dump
    Tivo in favor of MythTV. Mac and Windows solutions weren't considered
    because of the strong likelihood that the relevant companies would
    act in the same manner as Tivo Corp (as media mogul lapdogs).

    --
    Sure, I could use iTunes even under Linux. However, I have |||
    better things to do with my time than deal with how iTunes doesn't / | \

  4. Re: [News] [Rival] The Evil Side of Windows Vista: Users Reportedly Blocked from Recording

    "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message
    > On 2008-05-14, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> ____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Wednesday 14 May 2008 17:14 : \____

    > This is precisely the sort of shenanigan that led me to dump
    > Tivo in favor of MythTV. Mac and Windows solutions weren't considered
    > because of the strong likelihood that the relevant companies would
    > act in the same manner as Tivo Corp (as media mogul lapdogs).

    One of the comments on the article hits the nail right on the head:

    The reason none of the other OSes have these kinds of issues is because they
    don't have DVR technology that allows the recording of premium HD content
    (all the encrypted channels like HBO etc.) DRM was forced on Microsoft by
    the studios and cable providers. The only games in town to record premium HD
    content is Vista Media Center, HD Tivo and Tivo Series 3. Tivo users have
    had these same issues in the past. It's not clear why they weren't affected
    yesterday. Apple is affected by this, too. They haven't ventured into the
    DVR space yet, but AppleTV only gives you 24hrs to finish a movie once you
    started viewing it for example. A restriction forced onto Apple by
    Hollywood. Vista is ahead of the curve in this space.

    Let's talk about this again when the other OSes have actually caught up to
    Vista in this space and see who does a better job. BTW, Ubuntu will probably
    never support this kind of stuff, because it requires an expensive
    certification process forced onto the vendors by CableLabs.

  5. Re: [News] [Rival] The Evil Side of Windows Vista: Users Reportedly Blocked from Recording

    On Thu, 15 May 2008 09:09:50 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:

    > On 2008-05-14, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> ____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Wednesday 14 May 2008 17:14 : \____

    > This is precisely the sort of shenanigan that led me to dump
    > Tivo in favor of MythTV. Mac and Windows solutions weren't considered
    > because of the strong likelihood that the relevant companies would
    > act in the same manner as Tivo Corp (as media mogul lapdogs).

    So you enjoy stealing other people's work.
    It figures, Roy Schestowitz.

    Typical Linux loon who doesn't want to pay for anything.
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  6. Re: [News] [Rival] The Evil Side of Windows Vista: Users Reportedly Blocked from Recording

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  7. Re: [News] [Rival] The Evil Side of Windows Vista: Users Reportedly Blocked from Recording

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ezekiel

    wrote
    on Thu, 15 May 2008 10:25:49 -0400
    :

    > "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message
    >> On 2008-05-14, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>> ____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Wednesday 14 May 2008 17:14 : \____

    >> This is precisely the sort of shenanigan that led me to dump
    >> Tivo in favor of MythTV. Mac and Windows solutions weren't considered
    >> because of the strong likelihood that the relevant companies would
    >> act in the same manner as Tivo Corp (as media mogul lapdogs).

    > One of the comments on the article hits the nail right on the head:
    >

    > The reason none of the other OSes have these kinds of issues is because they
    > don't have DVR technology that allows the recording of premium HD content
    > (all the encrypted channels like HBO etc.) DRM was forced on Microsoft by
    > the studios and cable providers.

    Forced? Define "forced" in this context. I'd surmise Microsoft would
    find this sort of thing highly profitable, myself, especially if
    cable systems get involved.

    > The only games in town to record premium HD
    > content is Vista Media Center, HD Tivo and Tivo Series 3. Tivo users have
    > had these same issues in the past. It's not clear why they weren't affected
    > yesterday. Apple is affected by this, too. They haven't ventured into the
    > DVR space yet, but AppleTV only gives you 24hrs to finish a movie once you
    > started viewing it for example. A restriction forced onto Apple by
    > Hollywood. Vista is ahead of the curve in this space.

    There you go...innovation.

    > Let's talk about this again when the other OSes have actually caught up to
    > Vista in this space and see who does a better job. BTW, Ubuntu will probably
    > never support this kind of stuff, because it requires an expensive
    > certification process forced onto the vendors by CableLabs.

    Again, define "forced". Microsoft clearly thought it profitable
    to jump through CableLabs' hoops, for whatever reason.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    GNU and improved.

  8. Re: [News] [Rival] The Evil Side of Windows Vista: Users Reportedly Blocked from Recording

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ezekiel
    >
    > wrote
    > on Thu, 15 May 2008 10:25:49 -0400
    > :
    >>
    >> "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message

    >>> This is precisely the sort of shenanigan that led me to dump
    >>> Tivo in favor of MythTV. Mac and Windows solutions weren't considered
    >>> because of the strong likelihood that the relevant companies would
    >>> act in the same manner as Tivo Corp (as media mogul lapdogs).

    >> One of the comments on the article hits the nail right on the head:
    >>

    >> The reason none of the other OSes have these kinds of issues is because
    >> they
    >> don't have DVR technology that allows the recording of premium HD content
    >> (all the encrypted channels like HBO etc.) DRM was forced on Microsoft by
    >> the studios and cable providers.

    > Forced? Define "forced" in this context. I'd surmise Microsoft would
    > find this sort of thing highly profitable, myself, especially if
    > cable systems get involved.

    It is MANDATED by the content providers. Notice that there isn't a single
    OSS DVR that supports cable cards.

    >> The only games in town to record premium HD
    >> content is Vista Media Center, HD Tivo and Tivo Series 3. Tivo users have
    >> had these same issues in the past. It's not clear why they weren't
    >> affected
    >> yesterday. Apple is affected by this, too. They haven't ventured into the
    >> DVR space yet, but AppleTV only gives you 24hrs to finish a movie once
    >> you
    >> started viewing it for example. A restriction forced onto Apple by
    >> Hollywood. Vista is ahead of the curve in this space.

    > There you go...innovation.
    >

    >> Let's talk about this again when the other OSes have actually caught up
    >> Vista in this space and see who does a better job. BTW, Ubuntu will
    >> probably
    >> never support this kind of stuff, because it requires an expensive
    >> certification process forced onto the vendors by CableLabs.

    > Again, define "forced".

    aka - Mandated by the content providers.

    > Microsoft clearly thought it profitable
    > to jump through CableLabs' hoops, for whatever reason.

    Who say's they are making a profit from this? It's a compliance that
    mandated by the cable companies and content providers in order for
    cable-cards to work. If a linux based DVR package were to *EVER* support
    cable cards (highly unlikely) it would need to conform to the same regs.

    > --
    > #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    > GNU and improved.

  9. Re: [News] [Rival] The Evil Side of Windows Vista: Users Reportedly Blocked from Recording

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ezekiel

    wrote
    on Thu, 15 May 2008 13:47:13 -0400
    <32ca7$482c7722$29766@news.teranews.com>:

    > "The Ghost In The Machine" wrote in message
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ezekiel
    >>
    >> wrote
    >> on Thu, 15 May 2008 10:25:49 -0400
    >> :
    >>>
    >>> "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message

    >>> One of the comments on the article hits the nail right on the head:
    >>>

    >>> The reason none of the other OSes have these kinds of issues is because
    >>> they
    >>> don't have DVR technology that allows the recording of premium HD content
    >>> (all the encrypted channels like HBO etc.) DRM was forced on Microsoft by
    >>> the studios and cable providers.

    >> Forced? Define "forced" in this context. I'd surmise Microsoft would
    >> find this sort of thing highly profitable, myself, especially if
    >> cable systems get involved.

    > It is MANDATED by the content providers. Notice that there isn't a single
    > OSS DVR that supports cable cards.

    It is a conditional mandate, therefore not forced. Want to
    have customers view this file? Have them install this little
    DRM module on your computer system...

    I'll admit I'm of two minds about this sort of thing but
    I don't see coercion here. Not that I'm happy about it.

    >>> The only games in town to record premium HD
    >>> content is Vista Media Center, HD Tivo and Tivo Series 3. Tivo users have
    >>> had these same issues in the past. It's not clear why they weren't
    >>> affected
    >>> yesterday. Apple is affected by this, too. They haven't ventured into the
    >>> DVR space yet, but AppleTV only gives you 24hrs to finish a movie once
    >>> you
    >>> started viewing it for example. A restriction forced onto Apple by
    >>> Hollywood. Vista is ahead of the curve in this space.

    >> There you go...innovation.
    >>

    >>> Let's talk about this again when the other OSes have actually caught up
    >>> Vista in this space and see who does a better job. BTW, Ubuntu will
    >>> probably
    >>> never support this kind of stuff, because it requires an expensive
    >>> certification process forced onto the vendors by CableLabs.

    >> Again, define "forced".

    > aka - Mandated by the content providers.
    >

    >> Microsoft clearly thought it profitable
    >> to jump through CableLabs' hoops, for whatever reason.

    > Who say's they are making a profit from this?

    Perhaps "useful" would be a more accurate term. I for
    one can't say, but if people want to view the content,
    Microsoft isn't getting in the way.

    > It's a compliance that
    > mandated by the cable companies and content providers in order for
    > cable-cards to work. If a linux based DVR package were to *EVER* support
    > cable cards (highly unlikely) it would need to conform to the same regs.

    Correct.

    [.sigsnip]

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #104392:
    for(int i = 0; i < 1000000; i++) sleep(0);

  10. Re: [News] [Rival] The Evil Side of Windows Vista: Users Reportedly Blocked from Recording

    On 2008-05-15, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message
    >> On 2008-05-14, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>> ____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Wednesday 14 May 2008 17:14 : \____

    >> This is precisely the sort of shenanigan that led me to dump
    >> Tivo in favor of MythTV. Mac and Windows solutions weren't considered
    >> because of the strong likelihood that the relevant companies would
    >> act in the same manner as Tivo Corp (as media mogul lapdogs).

    > One of the comments on the article hits the nail right on the head:
    >

    > The reason none of the other OSes have these kinds of issues is because they
    > don't have DVR technology that allows the recording of premium HD content
    > (all the encrypted channels like HBO etc.) DRM was forced on Microsoft by

    So where can I get my MCE machine with a cablecard slot?

    > the studios and cable providers. The only games in town to record premium HD
    > content is Vista Media Center, HD Tivo and Tivo Series 3. Tivo users have
    > had these same issues in the past. It's not clear why they weren't affected

    Oddly enough S3 Tivos didn's exhibit this problem.

    > yesterday. Apple is affected by this, too. They haven't ventured into the
    > DVR space yet, but AppleTV only gives you 24hrs to finish a movie once you
    > started viewing it for example. A restriction forced onto Apple by
    > Hollywood. Vista is ahead of the curve in this space.
    >
    > Let's talk about this again when the other OSes have actually caught up to
    > Vista in this space and see who does a better job. BTW, Ubuntu will probably
    > never support this kind of stuff, because it requires an expensive
    > certification process forced onto the vendors by CableLabs.

    ...or a component capture solution.

    Mine will arrive whenever Hauppauge gets around to pushing theirs
    out the door. It would be really pathetic if I personally ended up with
    the ability to record "premium HD content" before anyone running Vista
    did.

    Although I can already record the channels in question. That's the
    sad part about all of this. You're trying to fixate on stuff like HBO when
    it was just NBC that pulled this stunt.

    I record HD content off of the local NBC affiliate on a regular basis.

    --
    Apple: Because a large harddrive is for power users.
    / | \

  11. Re: [News] [Rival] The Evil Side of Windows Vista: Users Reportedly Blocked from Recording

    On 2008-05-15, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "The Ghost In The Machine" wrote in message
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ezekiel
    >>
    >> wrote
    >> on Thu, 15 May 2008 10:25:49 -0400
    >> :
    >>>
    >>> "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message

    >>> One of the comments on the article hits the nail right on the head:
    >>>

    >>> The reason none of the other OSes have these kinds of issues is because
    >>> they
    >>> don't have DVR technology that allows the recording of premium HD content
    >>> (all the encrypted channels like HBO etc.) DRM was forced on Microsoft by
    >>> the studios and cable providers.

    >> Forced? Define "forced" in this context. I'd surmise Microsoft would
    >> find this sort of thing highly profitable, myself, especially if
    >> cable systems get involved.

    > It is MANDATED by the content providers. Notice that there isn't a single
    > OSS DVR that supports cable cards.

    ...that just demonstrates that the Congress handed the cable companies
    a monopoly on a silver platter. It used to be that you could just plug any
    old device into your coax or STB and either watch TV or record it.

    [deletia]

    There are also no 3rd party STBs. That was supposed to be the whole
    point of cable cards...

    --
    Apple: Because a large harddrive is for power users.
    / | \

  12. Re: [News] [Rival] The Evil Side of Windows Vista: Users Reportedly Blocked from Recording

    * JEDIDIAH peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >> It is MANDATED by the content providers. Notice that there isn't a single
    >> OSS DVR that supports cable cards.

    > ...that just demonstrates that the Congress handed the cable companies
    > a monopoly on a silver platter. It used to be that you could just plug any
    > old device into your coax or STB and either watch TV or record it.

    So when does a business oligarchy merge into corporate fascism?

    --
    Just in terms of allocation of time resources, religion is not very
    efficient. There's a lot more I could be doing on a Sunday morning.

+ Reply to Thread