Re: [News] PC World Surrenders to Linux User - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: [News] PC World Surrenders to Linux User - Linux ; In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Peter Köhlmann wrote on Thu, 27 Sep 2007 22:36:40 +0200 : > spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote: > >> The Ghost In The Machine did eloquently >> scribble: >> >>> You'll have to be more specific than that, Peter; >>> the ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 36 of 36

  1. Re: [News] PC World Surrenders to Linux User

    :
    > spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:
    >
    >> The Ghost In The Machine did eloquently
    >> scribble:
    >>
    >>> You'll have to be more specific than that, Peter;
    >>> the fans of today are indeed variable-speed, although
    >>> I'm not sure if the actual controller is the main CPU
    >>> (on the cheaper units, it might be, a la WinModems),
    >>> or an ancillary processor of some sort which could be a
    >>> simple dedicated chip, or just the fan itself monitoring
    >>> ambient temperature. Most likely it's a dedicated chip.

    >> Shouldn't matter, the fans may be variable speed but only a moron would
    >> design them to default to "OFF" if no control codes were received.
    >> I don't believe the mobo manufacturers are morons.
    >> The fans will run at full speed unless told to do otherwise.

    > Exactly. The better ones control themselves
    >
    > In this case though Maverick (Greycloud) stated quite clearly that the fan
    > itself was broken.

    And Ms. Artificial Thread immediately jumped to the conclusion,
    apparently, that 'twas the butler^H^H^H^H^H^HLinux that did the
    dastardly dead... :-)

    (Not the plushiest yarn in the skein.)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Conventional memory has to be one of the most UNconventional
    architectures I've seen in a computer system.

  2. Re: [News] PC World Surrenders to Linux User

    wrote in message

    >> If you buy from a cheap source, you cannot
    >> expect a first class cabin treatment.

    > You expect what the law provides and that is adequate warranty and
    > consumer
    > protection. No supplier of brand new hardware can dodge these obligations.
    > If they do, they get slammed by the office of fair trading, the media,
    > watchdog (bbc tv programme), etc.

    If your laws prohibit a manufacturer or distributor from denying warranty
    coverage in situations where the customer has made alterations to the
    product, then you are living somewhere where a manufacturer or distributor
    has a very high exposure to excessive warranty claims. Either the
    manufacturer would have to charge a lot more for the product or ultimately
    lose money and go out of business. Perhaps that is why PCs in the UK seem
    to cost double what they do in the USofA. Are you getting your money's
    worth for sure?

    That seems to be Microsoft's strategy in the EU as well. Charge double and
    refund half the additional profit to the Commission. One hand washes the
    other, IMO. The working stiffs get screwed, but who cares?

  3. Re: [News] PC World Surrenders to Linux User

    amicus_curious did eloquently scribble:

    > wrote in message
    >>
    >>> If you buy from a cheap source, you cannot
    >>> expect a first class cabin treatment.

    >> You expect what the law provides and that is adequate warranty and
    >> consumer
    >> protection. No supplier of brand new hardware can dodge these obligations.
    >> If they do, they get slammed by the office of fair trading, the media,
    >> watchdog (bbc tv programme), etc.
    >>

    > If your laws prohibit a manufacturer or distributor from denying warranty
    > coverage in situations where the customer has made alterations to the
    > product,

    Installing software is making alterations to the CASE now?
    LOL!

    dumber and dumberer

  4. Re: [News] PC World Surrenders to Linux User

    spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:

    > amicus_curious did eloquently scribble:
    >
    >> wrote in message

    >>> You expect what the law provides and that is adequate warranty and
    >>> consumer
    >>> protection. No supplier of brand new hardware can dodge these
    >>> obligations. If they do, they get slammed by the office of fair trading,
    >>> the media, watchdog (bbc tv programme), etc.
    >>>

    >> If your laws prohibit a manufacturer or distributor from denying warranty
    >> coverage in situations where the customer has made alterations to the
    >> product,

    > Installing software is making alterations to the CASE now?
    > LOL!
    >
    > dumber and dumberer

    Just Bill Weisgerber in his infinite dishonesty
    --
    Hardware, n.:
    The parts of a computer system that can be kicked.

  5. Re: [News] PC World Surrenders to Linux User

    ____/ Peter Köhlmann on Friday 28 September 2007 10:28 : \____

    > spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:
    >
    >> amicus_curious did eloquently scribble:
    >>
    >>> wrote in message

    >>> If your laws prohibit a manufacturer or distributor from denying warranty
    >>> coverage in situations where the customer has made alterations to the
    >>> product,

    >> Installing software is making alterations to the CASE now?
    >> LOL!
    >>
    >> dumber and dumberer

    > Just Bill Weisgerber in his infinite dishonesty

    From my inbox (anonymous mailer):

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | hi,
    |
    | i just happened to notice that you spent some text debunking my old 'friend'
    | bill weisgerber last spring.
    |
    | i went around with bill (& a host of other paid2post shills) on a nytimes
    | forum for over 3 years. despite being exposed for what/who they were/are,
    | they just would not quit their mindless pr firm hypenosys. at that time, the
    | nytimes was quite supportive of their charade. what a blight.
    |
    | just anecdotal.
    `----

    He is paid (in one way or another) to troll forums. He has some sort of link/s
    with Microsoft.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    everytime you say things like this i just think of that cult of people
    who send around .doc files. i dont want to communicate with people who
    talk in .doc format, but they do not wish to use something else, so
    they discredit those without word. --Ed, c.o.l.a.

  6. Re: [News] PC World Surrenders to Linux User

    Roy Schestowitz did eloquently scribble:
    > He is paid (in one way or another) to troll forums. He has some sort of link/s
    > with Microsoft.

    Looks like this time, it's PC World footing the bill.
    Otherwise why would he try to spread lies about consumer protection laws in
    order to make it look like you have no rights?
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  7. Re: [News] PC World Surrenders to Linux User

    amicus_curious wrote:

    > wrote in message
    > >
    > >> If you buy from a cheap source, you cannot
    > >> expect a first class cabin treatment.

    > > You expect what the law provides and that is adequate warranty and
    > > consumer
    > > protection. No supplier of brand new hardware can dodge these
    > > obligations. If they do, they get slammed by the office of fair
    > > trading, the media, watchdog (bbc tv programme), etc.
    > >

    > If your laws prohibit a manufacturer or distributor from denying
    > warranty coverage in situations where the customer has made
    > alterations to the product, then you are living somewhere where a

    The customer made no such alterations.

  8. Re: [News] PC World Surrenders to Linux User

    "Anonymous Remailer (austria)" wrote in
    message news:e1327652c45be91cdf011a769a54b60b@remailer.pri vacy.at...

    > amicus_curious wrote:
    >

    >> wrote in message

    >> > You expect what the law provides and that is adequate warranty and
    >> > consumer
    >> > protection. No supplier of brand new hardware can dodge these
    >> > obligations. If they do, they get slammed by the office of fair
    >> > trading, the media, watchdog (bbc tv programme), etc.
    >> >

    >> If your laws prohibit a manufacturer or distributor from denying
    >> warranty coverage in situations where the customer has made
    >> alterations to the product, then you are living somewhere where a

    > The customer made no such alterations.

    Surely installing some homemade OS software in a package product is an
    alteration.

  9. Re: [News] PC World Surrenders to Linux User

    amicus_curious wrote:

    > "Anonymous Remailer (austria)" wrote in
    > message news:e1327652c45be91cdf011a769a54b60b@remailer.pri vacy.at...
    >>
    >> amicus_curious wrote:
    >>

    >>> wrote in message

    >>> If your laws prohibit a manufacturer or distributor from denying
    >>> warranty coverage in situations where the customer has made
    >>> alterations to the product, then you are living somewhere where a

    >> The customer made no such alterations.
    >>

    > Surely installing some homemade OS software in a package product is an
    > alteration.

    Idiot
    --
    Only two things are infinite,
    the Universe and Stupidity.

  10. Re: [News] PC World Surrenders to Linux User

    Verily I say unto thee, that Peter Köhlmann spake thusly:
    > amicus_curious wrote:

    >> Surely installing some homemade OS software in a package product is
    >> an alteration.

    > Idiot

    Yes - it's like saying that by filing a car's fuel tank with a different
    brand of fuel, the owner has made an "alteration" to the car. How bloody
    arrogant.

    Oh and BTW, the OS we use may be "homemade"(sic), but it's still an
    order of magnitude better than that steaming turd that Microsoft wasted
    6 years and 10 billion dollars on. I guess the old adage "if you want
    something done right, then do it yourself" applies, certainly where
    Microsoft's Slopware is concerned.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | "OOXML is a superb standard"
    | - GNU/Linux traitor, Miguel de Icaza.
    `----

    20:05:22 up 51 days, 19:00, 3 users, load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.00

  11. Re: [News] PC World Surrenders to Linux User

    amicus_curious wrote:

    > "Anonymous Remailer (austria)" wrote in
    > message news:e1327652c45be91cdf011a769a54b60b@remailer.pri vacy.at...
    > >
    > > amicus_curious wrote:
    > >

    > >> wrote in message

    > >> If your laws prohibit a manufacturer or distributor from denying
    > >> warranty coverage in situations where the customer has made
    > >> alterations to the product, then you are living somewhere where a

    > > The customer made no such alterations.
    > >

    > Surely installing some homemade OS software in a package product is an
    > alteration.

    No.

  12. Re: [News] PC World Surrenders to Linux User

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > ____/ chrisv on Tuesday 25 September 2007 14:56 : \____
    >
    >> amicus_curious wrote:

    >>> On the facts cited, the fellow asked for a refund and got it.
    >>> Where is the mystery?

    >> It's a mystery to me that human garbage like you is allowed to
    >> exist, you filthy rat.

    > Please. Stop replying to that scum. I don't want to see his mental
    > garbage.

    Signed,
    Here I Sit Head In Sand
    Sending Out My Lying Spam

  13. Re: [News] PC World Surrenders to Linux User

    [H]omer wrote:

    >Verily I say unto thee, that Peter Köhlmann spake thusly:
    >> amicus_curious wrote:

    >>> Surely installing some homemade OS software in a package product is
    >>> an alteration.

    >> Idiot

    >Yes - it's like saying that by filing a car's fuel tank with a different
    >brand of fuel, the owner has made an "alteration" to the car. How bloody
    >arrogant.
    >
    >Oh and BTW, the OS we use may be "homemade"(sic), but it's still an
    >order of magnitude better than that steaming turd that Microsoft wasted
    >6 years and 10 billion dollars on. I guess the old adage "if you want
    >something done right, then do it yourself" applies, certainly where
    >Microsoft's Slopware is concerned.

    Indeed. If Visduh is representative of "commercial" operating
    systems, give me a home-made one, any day.

  14. Re: [News] PC World Surrenders to Linux User

    amicus_curious wrote:

    > Surely installing some homemade OS software in a package product is an alteration.

    ****~01 OFF00~1

  15. Re: [News] PC World Surrenders to Linux User

    "Doug Mentohl" wrote in message
    > amicus_curious wrote:
    >
    >> Surely installing some homemade OS software in a package product is an
    >> alteration.

    > ****~01 OFF00~1

    You are such a talent!

  16. Re: [News] PC World Surrenders to Linux User

    amicus_curious wrote:

    >"Doug Mentohl" wrote:
    >>
    >> amicus_curious wrote:
    >>
    >>> Surely installing some homemade OS software in a package product is an
    >>> alteration.

    >> ****~01 OFF00~1

    >You are such a talent!

    You are such a POS!