USB freezes the part of the Linux system that "just works!" - Linux

This is a discussion on USB freezes the part of the Linux system that "just works!" - Linux ; OpenSuse 10.3: "I installed suse on my computer a few weeks ago, and I can't get the usb ports working. No matter what I plug in (ex. mp3 player, printer, webcam) first the computer slows down and finally freezes, also ...

  1. USB freezes the part of the Linux system that "just works!"

    OpenSuse 10.3: "I installed suse on my computer a few weeks ago, and I can't
    get the usb ports working. No matter what I plug in (ex. mp3 player,
    printer, webcam) first the computer slows down and finally freezes, also it
    doesn't recognises them..."

    Ubuntu: "I installed ubuntu and it does the same thing... I wonder if it's a
    hardware problem...and if it is, than why doesn't windows affected by it?"

    http://www.suseforums.net/index.php?...517&hl=freezes

    Same machine, same user, two different Linux distros fail on USB, but no
    problem with XP.

    Linux just works!

  2. Re: USB freezes the part of the Linux system that "just works!"

    On Wed, 14 May 2008 02:13:45 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > OpenSuse 10.3: "I installed suse on my computer a few weeks ago, and I
    > can't get the usb ports working. No matter what I plug in (ex. mp3
    > player, printer, webcam) first the computer slows down and finally
    > freezes, also it doesn't recognises them..."
    >
    > Ubuntu: "I installed ubuntu and it does the same thing... I wonder if
    > it's a hardware problem...and if it is, than why doesn't windows
    > affected by it?"
    >
    > http://www.suseforums.net/index.php?...517&hl=freezes
    >

    > Same machine, same user, two different Linux distros fail on USB, but no
    > problem with XP.
    >
    > Linux just works!

    For the most part, yes, Linux works.

    --
    Rick

  3. Re: USB freezes the part of the Linux system that "just works!"

    On 2008-05-14, Rick claimed:
    > On Wed, 14 May 2008 02:13:45 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> OpenSuse 10.3: "I installed suse on my computer a few weeks ago, and I
    >> can't get the usb ports working. No matter what I plug in (ex. mp3
    >> player, printer, webcam) first the computer slows down and finally
    >> freezes, also it doesn't recognises them..."
    >>
    >> Ubuntu: "I installed ubuntu and it does the same thing... I wonder if
    >> it's a hardware problem...and if it is, than why doesn't windows
    >> affected by it?"
    >>
    >> http://www.suseforums.net/index.php?...517&hl=freezes
    >>

    >> Same machine, same user, two different Linux distros fail on USB, but no
    >> problem with XP.
    >>
    >> Linux just works!

    > For the most part, yes, Linux works.

    I had a computer with bad RAM. Linux was smart enough to fail to boot
    and gave me clues as to why it had trouble. Windwoes was retarded
    enough to boot completely, run for 5 or so minutes, then lock up
    completely, which was cool because it gave me just enough time to get
    in the middle of something important.

    I guess DuFuS failed to notice the port about potential hardware
    problems in his rush to fling crap like the monkey he is.

    --
    Ever noticed how fast Windows runs?
    Me neither.

  4. Re: USB freezes the part of the Linux system that "just works!"

    Sinister Midget writes:

    > On 2008-05-14, Rick claimed:
    >> On Wed, 14 May 2008 02:13:45 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >>
    >>> OpenSuse 10.3: "I installed suse on my computer a few weeks ago, and I
    >>> can't get the usb ports working. No matter what I plug in (ex. mp3
    >>> player, printer, webcam) first the computer slows down and finally
    >>> freezes, also it doesn't recognises them..."
    >>>
    >>> Ubuntu: "I installed ubuntu and it does the same thing... I wonder if
    >>> it's a hardware problem...and if it is, than why doesn't windows
    >>> affected by it?"
    >>>
    >>> http://www.suseforums.net/index.php?...517&hl=freezes
    >>>

    >>> Same machine, same user, two different Linux distros fail on USB, but no
    >>> problem with XP.
    >>>
    >>> Linux just works!

    >> For the most part, yes, Linux works.

    > I had a computer with bad RAM. Linux was smart enough to fail to boot

    Nonsense.

    > and gave me clues as to why it had trouble. Windwoes was retarded
    > enough to boot completely, run for 5 or so minutes, then lock up
    > completely, which was cool because it gave me just enough time to get
    > in the middle of something important.
    >
    > I guess DuFuS failed to notice the port about potential hardware
    > problems in his rush to fling crap like the monkey he is.

    --
    .... but hey, this is Linux, isn't it meant to do infinite loops in 5
    seconds?

  5. Re: USB freezes the part of the Linux system that "just works!"

    On Wed, 14 May 2008 13:01:13 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Sinister Midget writes:

    >>> For the most part, yes, Linux works.

    >> I had a computer with bad RAM. Linux was smart enough to fail to boot

    > Nonsense.

    I can't believe he said that.
    Yet another dim bulb in COLA.

    Pretty soon we will have an entire carton of dim bulbs.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  6. Re: USB freezes the part of the Linux system that "just works!"

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Hadron

    wrote
    on Wed, 14 May 2008 13:01:13 +0200
    :
    > Sinister Midget writes:

    >>> For the most part, yes, Linux works.

    >> I had a computer with bad RAM. Linux was smart enough to fail to boot

    > Nonsense.

    Depends on the problem. I've had Linux boot with bad RAM,
    but subtle failures prompted me to test the RAM later on.
    The stick is now lying on the bottom of my one computer --
    I've never gotten around to returning it.

    I'm a little sad. In any event, Linux is *not* smart
    enough to test RAM (that's memtest86's problem!) but both
    solutions utilize computer resources slightly differently.
    Putting a RAM test in Linux would slow down the boot to
    a crawl, as the user waits for the bits to be exercised,
    especially if one implements such things as a "marching"
    test, which zeroes each and every bit except one --
    then zeroes each and every bit except the next one --
    then zeroes each and every bit except the next next one --
    then....well, you get the idea.

    These things happen.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    GNU and improved.

  7. Re: USB freezes the part of the Linux system that "just works!"

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic