New *KILLER* app from Microsoft Research - Linux

This is a discussion on New *KILLER* app from Microsoft Research - Linux ; http://www.worldwidetelescope.org/Ex...erienceIt.aspx...

  1. New *KILLER* app from Microsoft Research

  2. Re: New *KILLER* app from Microsoft Research

    OK writes:

    > http://www.worldwidetelescope.org/Ex...erienceIt.aspx

    But Richard Rasker said MS do not do *any* research? Hmmm. I guess it
    must be a hoax ....

  3. Re: New *KILLER* app from Microsoft Research

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, OK

    wrote
    on Tue, 13 May 2008 19:27:07 +0200
    :
    > http://www.worldwidetelescope.org/Ex...erienceIt.aspx

    Yes, this should indeed kill Linux very quickly, in the
    same manner that a drop of cyanide in the ocean will kill
    all the fish therein.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Warning: This encrypted signature is a dangerous munition.
    Please notify the US government immediately upon reception.
    0000 0000 0000 0000 0001 0000 0000 0000 ...

  4. Re: New *KILLER* app from Microsoft Research

    Hadron wrote:

    > OK writes:
    >
    >> http://www.worldwidetelescope.org/Ex...erienceIt.aspx

    > But Richard Rasker said MS do not do *any* research? Hmmm. I guess it
    > must be a hoax ....

    Once again you misquote me. From an earlier thread on Microsoft's R&D
    efforts (message ID fqop5e$2ag$1@saturn.z74.net):

    "Nowhere I said that Microsoft didn't do R&D. I just said that their R&D
    doesn't seem to produce any worthwhile results at all"

    So far, I found no reason to change my opinion. From what I see and hear,
    this WWT thing is little more than an improved version of Google Sky
    (which, frankly, has quite a bit of room for improvement).

    Richard Rasker
    --
    http://www.linetec.nl/

  5. Re: New *KILLER* app from Microsoft Research

    Richard Rasker writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >

    >> OK writes:
    >>
    >>> http://www.worldwidetelescope.org/Ex...erienceIt.aspx

    >> But Richard Rasker said MS do not do *any* research? Hmmm. I guess it
    >> must be a hoax ....

    > Once again you misquote me. From an earlier thread on Microsoft's R&D
    > efforts (message ID fqop5e$2ag$1@saturn.z74.net):
    >
    > "Nowhere I said that Microsoft didn't do R&D. I just said that their R&D
    > doesn't seem to produce any worthwhile results at all"
    >
    > So far, I found no reason to change my opinion. From what I see and hear,
    > this WWT thing is little more than an improved version of Google Sky
    > (which, frankly, has quite a bit of room for improvement).

    So this is not worthwhile?

    You know what you said and meant.

    --
    Being overloaded is the sign of a true Debian maintainer.
    -- JHM on #Debian

  6. Re: New *KILLER* app from Microsoft Research

    In article ,
    Richard Rasker wrote:
    > Once again you misquote me. From an earlier thread on Microsoft's R&D
    > efforts (message ID fqop5e$2ag$1@saturn.z74.net):
    >
    > "Nowhere I said that Microsoft didn't do R&D. I just said that their R&D
    > doesn't seem to produce any worthwhile results at all"

    These aren't worthwhile results?

    --
    --Tim Smith

  7. Re: New *KILLER* app from Microsoft Research

    >Hadron lied:
    >>
    >> But Richard Rasker said MS do not do *any* research?

    Is it fun being a shameless liar, Quack?

    >>Hmmm. I guess it must be a hoax ....

    Hmmm. I guess you must be a piece of ****.

  8. Re: New *KILLER* app from Microsoft Research

    On Wed, 14 May 2008 04:22:22 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:

    > In article ,
    > Richard Rasker wrote:
    >> Once again you misquote me. From an earlier thread on Microsoft's R&D
    >> efforts (message ID fqop5e$2ag$1@saturn.z74.net):
    >>
    >> "Nowhere I said that Microsoft didn't do R&D. I just said that their R&D
    >> doesn't seem to produce any worthwhile results at all"

    > These aren't worthwhile results?

    Once again Richard Rasker is flushed.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  9. Re: New *KILLER* app from Microsoft Research

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  10. Re: New *KILLER* app from Microsoft Research

    OK wrote:

    > http://www.worldwidetelescope.org/Ex...erienceIt.aspx

    Let me guess... MICROSOFT BOB! I actually HAVE a copy... Any windows loosers
    want it?... NOT VISTA compatible...

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  11. Re: New *KILLER* app from Microsoft Research

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Jerry McBride

    wrote
    on Thu, 15 May 2008 19:19:55 -0400
    <62tuf5x6a6.ln2@supertux.my.domain>:
    > OK wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.worldwidetelescope.org/Ex...erienceIt.aspx

    > Let me guess... MICROSOFT BOB! I actually HAVE a copy... Any windows loosers
    > want it?... NOT VISTA compatible...

    Well, FWIW the outbound telescope isn't bad, though
    it lacks the movement functionality of, say, Cervisia,
    and for some reason searching for stars by name is not
    implemented or hard to find; I had to comb through the
    alphabetically-sorted catalog for Algol -- and for some
    reason Algol wasn't cataloged as a ternary star system.[*] [+]

    The Earth-looking variant needs work; Google in particular
    can resolve individual cars parked near a building but
    the WWTelescope can't get anywhere near that, unless I'm
    missing a setting somewhere.

    It's certainly no "BOB", and with some slick marketing it
    might actually sucker a large number of people -- until
    the servers have a problem anyway; the page loads are not
    hard to see as one zooms in (mostly because a fuzzy blob
    dynamically sharpens itself up).
    [*] It's actually an eclipsing binary, known to the
    ancients; hence its name, which means "The Demon Star".
    Of course the ancients might not have know it was such --
    but in 1889 Hermann Vogel confirmed doppler shifts during
    observations of Algol.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algol

    [+] The star catalogs are actually a bit of a mess, since
    a given star has a variety of designations. Cervisia shows
    all of them (or all of them that it knows about).

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Windows. Multi-platform(1), multi-tasking(1), multi-user(1).
    (1) if one defines "multi" as "exactly one".

  12. Re: New *KILLER* app from Microsoft Research

    Tim Smith wrote:

    > In article ,
    > Richard Rasker wrote:
    >> Once again you misquote me. From an earlier thread on Microsoft's R&D
    >> efforts (message ID fqop5e$2ag$1@saturn.z74.net):
    >>
    >> "Nowhere I said that Microsoft didn't do R&D. I just said that their R&D
    >> doesn't seem to produce any worthwhile results at all"

    > These aren't worthwhile results?

    [snip Microsoft's R&D]

    Indeed, lots of interesting theoretical research. And yes, I hold scientific
    R&D in high regard -- all the more because I'm involved in it as well,
    building specialized electronic equipment for researchers and helping 'em
    solve technological problems.

    Now show me some tangible *results* of all this research. You know, some
    evidence of this "huge influence on society" that several surveys and all
    windolts say that Microsoft has. One succesful, original product (or even
    element thereof) provably resulting from Microsoft's R&D will do. I can't
    think of any.

    Richard Rasker
    --
    http://www.linetec.nl/

  13. Don Zeigler 304-409-4342 - The name shifting asshole spammer has been caught

    "Anonymous Sender" wrote in message
    news:835cda2bee4c40abe3945d82a612f1d4@remailer.met acolo.com...
    > Poopy Pants McGee wrote:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb is flatfish (in real life Gary Stewart)
    >>
    >> http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/2008/...arb-troll.html
    >> http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/2007/...ish-troll.html
    >>
    >> Traits:
    >>
    >> * Nym shifting (see below)
    >> * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    >> * Homophobic
    >> * Racist
    >> * Habitual liar
    >> * Frequently cross posts replies to other non-Linux related
    >> newsgroups
    >> * Frequently cross posts articles originally not posted to COLA

    > Tattoovampire, 48 years old from Bluefield, West Virginia, USA.
    >

    > FOAD Don

    Don "asshole face" Zeigler is the scumbag spammer. He accidently revealed
    his identity.

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....d?dmode=source