CERN - "We encourage users to install Vista" - Linux

This is a discussion on CERN - "We encourage users to install Vista" - Linux ; http://bulletin.cern.ch/eng/articles.../2007&base=tra Wow... Look at all those closed-source apps they use. The *only* Office suite is Microsoft Office 2008. All new PCs available at the CERN Stores are now compliant with Vista requirements. We therefore encourage users to install Vista on ...

  1. CERN - "We encourage users to install Vista"

    http://bulletin.cern.ch/eng/articles.../2007&base=tra

    Wow... Look at all those closed-source apps they use. The *only* Office
    suite is Microsoft Office 2008.

    All new PCs available at the CERN Stores are now compliant with Vista
    requirements. We therefore encourage users to install Vista on those
    computers.

    https://winservices.web.cern.ch/wins...p/?kbid=020201

  2. Re: CERN - "We encourage users to install Vista"

  3. Re: CERN - "We encourage users to install Vista"

    On May 13, 9:04*am, "Ezekiel" wrote:
    > http://bulletin.cern.ch/eng/articles.../2007&base=tra
    >
    > Wow... Look at all those closed-source apps they use. The *only* Office
    > suite is Microsoft Office 2008.

    Isn't that the Mac version

    --
    Tom Shelton

  4. Re: CERN Uses GNU/Linux [Was: CERN - "We encourage users to install Vista"]

    ____/ Tom Shelton on Wednesday 14 May 2008 04:01 : \____

    > On May 13, 9:04Â*am, "Ezekiel" wrote:
    >> http://bulletin.cern.ch/eng/articles.../2007&base=tra
    >>
    >> Wow... Look at all those closed-source apps they use. The *only* Office
    >> suite is Microsoft Office 2008.
    >>

    > Isn't that the Mac version

    Yes, some people's haven't gotten off the proprietary drug, yet. Many already
    have.

    Scientific Linux – The Big Physics Community Linux of Choice

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | To reduce redundancy and provide commonality, Fermilab and CERN have anointed
    | a version of Linux as Scientific Linux.
    |
    | The FAQ on the site talks about the foundation of Scientific Linux as
    | the “Enterprise version” of Linux. I believe it’s based on a version of Red
    | Hat Linux but the FAQ declines to mention it citing trademark restrictions.
    |
    | As always the issue of support comes up since the community provides it
    | rather than a particular vendor. Fermi Lab offered a Fermi Linux so the
    | support users found with that version will probably be what they find with
    | the Scientific Linux version.
    `----

    http://emertech.blogspot.com/2008/04...community.html

    Scientific Linux Live CD/DVD 4.6 is now available for i386 and x86_64

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Scientific Linux Live CD/DVD 4.6 has been released for i386 and x86_64.
    |
    | The Scientific Linux Live CD/DVD runs Scientific Linux directly from CD/DVD
    | without installing.
    `----

    http://listserv.fnal.gov/scripts/wa....ounce&T=0&P=78

    Scientific Linux 4.6 - i386 & x86_64

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Scientific Linux 4.6 has finally been released. We want to thank all those
    | who have contributed packages and time, helping us build and test this
    | release. It took a little longer than we wanted, but we feel it is a good
    | stable release. Â*
    `----

    https://www.scientificlinux.org/news/sl46

    Scientific Linux live CD/DVD previews RH5

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A preview of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5, which won't be released
    | for about a month, is available via the latest Scientific Linux 5
    | (SL5) alpha live CD/DVD, released this week. Built from source
    | packages for RHEL 5, SL5 sports a 2.6.18 kernel and either the
    | KDE or GNOME desktops.
    `----

    Scientific Linux rolls out live CD/DVD update

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Scientific Linux project today released a set of live CDs and DVDs
    | of the latest version of their Red Hat-based distribution, v4.4, for
    | both i386 and x86_64 architectures. The live CD/DVD, featuring a 2.6.9
    | kernel and the GNOME desktop environment, can also boot from a USB
    | port, the team said.
    `----

    - --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | GPL - Global Programmer's Law

  5. Re: CERN Uses GNU/Linux [Was: CERN - "We encourage users to install Vista"]

    On Wed, 14 May 2008 05:53:22 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Yes, some people's haven't gotten off the proprietary drug, yet. Many already
    > have.

    Yep.
    According to the BBC, 0.8 percent have gotten off that drug you speak of
    Roy Schestowitz.

    What a boob you are.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  6. Re: CERN Uses GNU/Linux [Was: CERN - "We encourage users to install Vista"]

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Yes, some people's haven't gotten off the proprietary drug, yet. Many
    > already have.

    I'm sure your resume still lists all those proprietary
    drugs^^^^^technologies.

    Luser.

  7. Re: CERN Uses GNU/Linux [Was: CERN - "We encourage users to installVista"]

    On Wed, 14 May 2008 01:09:43 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > On Wed, 14 May 2008 05:53:22 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >

    >> Yes, some people's haven't gotten off the proprietary drug, yet. Many
    >> already have.

    > Yep.
    > According to the BBC, 0.8 percent have gotten off that drug you speak of
    > Roy Schestowitz.
    >
    > What a boob you are.

    What an obsessed schlep you are.

    --
    Rick

  8. Re: CERN Uses GNU/Linux [Was: CERN - "We encourage users toinstall Vista"]

    "Rick" stated in post
    rfidnctkGr5AK7fVnZ2dnUVZ_u2dnZ2d@supernews.com on 5/14/08 2:54 AM:

    > On Wed, 14 May 2008 01:09:43 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 14 May 2008 05:53:22 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>

    >>> Yes, some people's haven't gotten off the proprietary drug, yet. Many
    >>> already have.

    >> Yep.
    >> According to the BBC, 0.8 percent have gotten off that drug you speak of
    >> Roy Schestowitz.
    >>
    >> What a boob you are.

    > What an obsessed schlep you are.

    You are the guy who spews the same mantras over and over that you cannot
    even show you understand.

    --
    God made me an atheist - who are you to question his authority?

+ Reply to Thread