Life Without Open Source?

,----[ Quote ]
| It's ironic that the effects of open source software on our economy are
| largely unmeasured and may be unmeasurable, but suffice to say the effects
| are enormous. Life without open source software would not only be quite a bit
| different, but many people would also be quite a bit less wealthy. The
| business of OSS is booming and will likely continue to drive the great
| expansion of the Internet and concomitant transformation of society.

Smoking the cloud: the technology of cloud computing

,----[ Quote ]
| Like any new paradigm Cloud computing represents a shift. In this case, it is
| best described by the addition of a new layer we could call a Cloud
| Operating System.
| At its core an operating system is really a task/process manager, a memory
| manager and an I/O manager. Similarly, a Cloud Operating System (COS) defines
| how are managed tasks/applications, how memory/storage is organized and the
| mechanisms by which massive information flow is handled. COS is a network
| operating system running atop of a cloud that is, an hyper network of
| computers.

You're A Linux User/Supporter: You Just Don't Know It Yet *

,----[ Quote ]
| I'D like to start by asking you a series of seemingly unrelated questions. *
| Have you watched Shrek or Harry Potter And The Philosopher's Stone? *Have you
| flown on Continental, Virgin America or Singapore Airlines? *Do you drive a
| BMW, Fiat or Renault car? *Are you serving in the United States Army? *Have
| you ever bought anything online using Paypal? *Have you ever stayed in a
| Sheraton hotel? *Or travelled by train in Canada? * *

Down To Business: As IBM Reaches For Cloud, Where Next Microsoft?

,----[ Quote ]
| IBM's alignment with Google around Linux and Internet standards should have
| its longtime rival sweating sans Yahoo.

The hidden world of Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| There are many great FOSS projects that utilise old PC hardware and give it a
| new lease of life. The best is desktop computing with various Linux
| distribution flavours like Mint, PCLinux, Ubuntu and countless others. In
| fact it is my considered belief that the best hardware to run Linux on is
| infact (almost) any machine that is at least 12 months old. It is possible,
| of course, to select components based on the degree (and maturity) of the
| specific support under Linux but this has two major drawbacks. * * *
| [...]
| Not only do such projects look to modify embedded Linux devices, but some
| great projects have sprung up to utilise old PCs every household seems to *
| accumulate in order to fulfil a number of key uses. For example,
| comprehensive firewall distributions like IPCop or Smoothwall or NAS
| distributions like FreeNAS (although this is based on BSD.) These are not
| dirty hacked operating systems either but very mature, streamlined, low
| memory footprint distributions which run headlessly. Being totally
| administered through a web browser makes these distributions feel extremely
| professional and polished (even if the archaic hardware they are running on
| doesn’t) this being coupled by the extraordinary amount of options present
| really makes these projects an extraordinary example of the flexibility of
| Linux/BSD. * * * * *

Do we need to protect open source from the cloud?

,----[ Quote ]
| Some view this as a simple loophole to be plugged. The GPL was originally
| written very much within the context of Unix programmatic and operating
| system interfaces. Therefore, the reasoning goes, the only reason the GPL
| didn't encompass access via Web services is that there were no Web
| services--at least in anything like their current form--when the GPL was
| created. That the new GPLv3 specifically doesn't address this "loophole"
| either was more a matter of practicality than principle by this view.
| And, in fact, one approach to eliminating this loophole is a straightforward
| enough approach. The Affero GPL is a straightforward extension to the GPLv3
| license that essentially expands the definition of distribution to encompass
| the delivery of services over the network.

Linux everywhere

,----[ Quote ]
| Take yesterday as a case in point. *I checked the order status of my Elonex
| One, and sent an email to see if my order for the One can be upgraded to the
| One+ (bluetooth, and bigger internal memory). *I then caught the train to the
| Queen Elizabeth hospital, watching the in-train tv which is powered by some
| Linux flavour (given the error message I saw a few weeks back). *Visiting my
| friend Simon at the QE, he’s spotted that the tv/phone/internet screens that
| each patient has are powered by Linux. *This is of course when he’s not
| tapping away on his Asus EEE, and hopefully writing the next Da Vinci Code
| (only better). * * * *

Linux is truly everywhere

,----[ Quote ]
| I spent a long time smiling about the Linux bootup screen that I had just
| seen. To begin with, it reminded me that Linux, and other open-source
| products, are now everywhere. Linux is no longer for the uber-geeks. It's not
| just for system administrators and programmers, either. Linux is now at the
| core of mainstream appliances, there even when you don't think that a
| computer or operating system might be involved. * *
| [...]
| Finally, Moore's Law and the general trend toward cheaper and faster hardware
| means that Linux now fits into even more places than it did before. We
| normally think of Linux as an operating system for servers, or even for
| desktop computers. But we can expect Linux to be at the heart of a growing
| number of appliances, from video-on-demand devices to digital video recorders
| (e.g., TiVo), to cellphones (e.g., Android and OpenMoko). The Linux-powered
| refrigerator, with a built-in bar-code scanner that can tell you how long ago
| you bought milk, isn't far behind. * * *

What CAN’T Linux do?

,----[ Quote ]
| 1. The story mentioned above. A man installs Linux on sixteen Playstation 3s
| (with zero hardware modifications), clusters them together, and creates a
| system to simulate black holes. *
| 2. Installing Linux on a Mac. I was just reading the most recent Wired
| magazine that has a good story on how Apple has created a very closed system
| where only Apple software plays on Apple hardware. Hello Yellow Dog Linux! I
| have run Linux on an iBook - it was sweet. *
| 3. Routers. We all know that Linux works well on routers. OpenWRT installs
| well on many Linksys routers.
| [...]
| 11. Airplane black boxes. Montavista uses a Carrier Grade Linux to power
| in-flight recorders.
| 12. Brain surgery. Yep. This Linux-powered robot helps in brain surgery.

SaaS, Open Source and the Migration of Burden

,----[ Quote ]
| Just the week before I had a reporter ask me how Linux is going to deal with
| the threat of cloud computing. The threat? I told her that virtually all of
| the major cloud computing initiatives (except Microsoft’s) are built on
| Linux. (There is a potential displacement there for Linux distribution
| vendors but that’s another topic.) Linux as a platform is the enabling
| backbone of software as a service and cloud computing.

Lost in the Clouds

,----[ Quote ]

,----[ Quote ]
| Just one more reason why the Microsoft-Yahoo merger, if it happens, will be
| hell:
| [...]
| Go[t] that? 10,000 core processors running GNU/Linux at the heart of Yahoo.
| Microsoft is damned if they do (rip and replace) and damned if they don't. Go
| on, make our day, Steve.... *

Top secret: Microsoft's $6 billion open source play

,----[ Quote ]
| This month's announcement by Microsoft to acquire digital marketing
| services firm aQuantive has revealed little on how the companies
| will integrate their IT, but inside information indicates the deal
| may be Redmond's largest commitment to free software.
| [...]
| Whether the businesses are complementary or not, Microsoft's integration
| work will no doubt involve a lot of open source software used by aQuantive.
| Information available from Atlas' Web site indicates the Internet software
| company employs extensive use of open source software including Linux,
| Apache, MySQL, and Solaris.
| Software engineers at Atlas' Raleigh office do client/server development in
| C and C++, software maintenance and "scripting", and developing and
| maintaining custom reporting capabilities.

Thoughts on JavaOne 2008 (mostly good, but lots of confusing messages from Sun)

,----[ Quote ]
| Java is still the language of choice in the enterprise. Even with the rise of
| LAMP Java remains important and makes up huge swaths of the IT landscape in
| major enterprises--at least those who are not .NET. Even open source Java
| applications on Windows are popular.
| [...]
| There are also a number of Sun software products that ARE BUILT ON OPEN
| SOURCE, but NOT OPEN SOURCE. One example of this is JCAPs, which is the sad
| remnant of the $387m SeeBeyond acquisition. Sun ported the JCAPs connectors
| to Open ESB, built the whole thing into NetBeans and closed sourced the
| product. This is not just weird, its also stupid and disingenuous.

It's unofficial: Microsoft bets business on Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| What the press statement didn't mention is that Aruba mobility
| controllers run the Linux operating system which Microsoft has
| aggressively targeted as being inferior to Windows as part of
| its "Get the Facts" marketing campaign.
| [...]
| Pandey's appraisal of Aruba's technology is in stark contrast to
| Microsoft's "Get the Facts" rhetoric which places Windows as a more secure,
| and higher-performing choice over Linux.

Feeling the heat at Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| If I ask you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be?
| to go with that.

Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)