Re: BBC take on MS price cuts - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: BBC take on MS price cuts - Linux ; On Mon, 12 May 2008 13:42:42 +0200, Hadron wrote: > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7395687.stm > > ,---- > | The devices are also catching on among those looking for a cheap | > computer they can use while out and about. Machines such ...

  1. Re: BBC take on MS price cuts

    On Mon, 12 May 2008 13:42:42 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > ,----
    > | The devices are also catching on among those looking for a cheap |
    > computer they can use while out and about. Machines such as the Asus Eee
    > | retail for about £220.
    > |

    > | Many of these machines use open source software such as Linux as an |
    > operating system.
    > `----
    >
    > It was sure to happen.
    >
    > Now lets see if Linux can still compete on merit alone. I dont see why
    > not with Linux on the eee. Although little things like no "generic"
    > contacts manager for mobile phones will surely scupper it.

    Microsoft has never been able to do it on merit alone.

    --
    Rick

  2. Re: BBC take on MS price cuts

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Rick

    wrote
    on Mon, 12 May 2008 15:16:37 -0500
    :
    > On Mon, 12 May 2008 13:42:42 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    >> ,----
    >> | The devices are also catching on among those looking for a cheap |
    >> computer they can use while out and about. Machines such as the Asus Eee
    >> | retail for about 220.
    >> |

    >> | Many of these machines use open source software such as Linux as an |
    >> operating system.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> It was sure to happen.
    >>
    >> Now lets see if Linux can still compete on merit alone. I dont see why
    >> not with Linux on the eee. Although little things like no "generic"
    >> contacts manager for mobile phones will surely scupper it.

    > Microsoft has never been able to do it on merit alone.

    merit [n]
    1. Something deserving either good or bad.
    * His reward for his merit was a check for $50.
    2. Something worthy of a high rating.
    3. A claim to commendation or reward.
    4. The quality of deserving reward.

    Synonyms: WORTH, VALUE

    (courtesy Wiktionary.org)

    I suspect Windows has had the occasional commendation
    (in the Win3.1 timeframe) but has badly lagged since.
    A quick Google for "Microsoft Windows awards" did cough up
    this oddity, though:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...d/default.aspx

    (Apparently this is a Microsoft award that it gives out,
    as opposed to one that Windows *received*. Kudos to Peter
    Gabriel, but not all that relevant to the current subthread.)

    A slightly more relevant set of awards:

    http://www.globalmobileawards.com/winners.shtml

    includes "Best Mobile Enterprise Product or Service"
    for Microsoft Windows Mobile 6.

    Color me slightly skeptical, but I guess they liked it... ;-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    GNU and improved.