[News] [Rival] OOXML Drives People in a 'Windows Shop' "CRAZY" - Linux

  1. [News] [Rival] OOXML Drives People in a 'Windows Shop' "CRAZY"

    Cranky Geeks rip OOXML

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Its also funny that the segment before this was about the April Fools pranks
    | which occurred online. I think its quite unfortunate for Microsoft that their
    | hollow victory (if its one at all) would fall on April the First. Well,
    | whether the joke's on us or not, OOXML to me will always be remembered as the
    | April Fools' Standard.
    `----

    http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/2008...-geeks-ri.html

    Related:

    Buy, Cheat, Steal, and Lie: The OOXML Story

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A 2007 decision from the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit may end
    | up coming back to haunt Microsoft in their ongoing U.S. antitrust battle. The *
    | case revolved around claims by Broadcom that Qualcomm had deliberately
    | included its patents in the Universal Mobile Telecommunications System
    | standard in order to create a monopoly for its products. The appeals court
    | held that if a company acts deceptively to gain adoption of a standard that
    | then results in a monopoly to their advantage, they can be held to have
    | violated anti-trust laws, irrespective of their right to determine the use of
    | their patents. Interestingly enough, the Court of Appeals ruling relies on a
    | Federal Trade Commission ruling which in turn relied on — drumroll, please —
    | United States v. Microsoft, the very case that put MS under supervision in
    | the first place. * * * * *
    |
    | All we can say is, we hope that with this many available avenues, something
    | is done to rectify the farce acted out over the last several months.
    `----

    http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/...ie-ooxml-story

    Shenanigans Alleged on Road to OOXML Vote

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The events leading up to the ISO's decision on OOXML can best be described as
    | strange.
    |
    | Take the case of KT 182, the Polish technical committee responsible for the
    | OOXML standardization process, as described on Groklaw: Chairperson Elzbieta
    | Andrukiewicz was instructed that KT 182 should abstain from voting if a
    | consensus was not achieved. Well, it wasn't, and she said the members who
    | were absent could vote by e-mail E-Mail Marketing Software - Free Trial.
    | Click Here. -- but if they didn't vote, she'd take their non-response as a
    | yes.
    |
    | Later, when presenting the results of the ballot resolution, she showed a
    | slide that claimed 98 percent of the OOXML issues had been resolved during
    | the KT 182 meeting.
    |
    | When reminded this wasn't true, and told that the author of the PowerPoint
    | file was Paul Pesch, platform strategy manager at Microsoft Netherlands, she
    | threatened to sue anyone who repeated the assertion that Pesch was the
    | author.
    |
    | That slide had been shown at another meeting, and one of the Brazilian
    | delegates had complained about it.
    `----

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] OOXML Drives People in a 'Windows Shop' "CRAZY"

    > Cranky Geeks rip OOXML
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Its also funny that the segment before this was about the April Fools pranks
    >| which occurred online. I think its quite unfortunate for Microsoft that their
    >| hollow victory (if its one at all) would fall on April the First. Well,
    >| whether the joke's on us or not, OOXML to me will always be remembered as the
    >| April Fools' Standard.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/2008...-geeks-ri.html

    VB: Is this the DOCX? It confused the hell out of my mom I can tell
    you.

    LU: It is driving people in the office and my office CRAZY, because
    every once in a while, a docx file shows up. Now if you want to open
    it you got to download the compatibility module for Office 2003.

    SR: And its not just DOCX too, I get people sending me PPTX. "I cant
    open this PowerPoint, could you open it and rename it, save it to
    your disk and resend it back to me so that I can open it?"

    VB: My dad installed the newest version of office on my Mom's
    computer at home, and she's not techie, but she uses Word everyday.
    And suddenly all her files were DOCX. And she was trying to open
    things, and send things to co-workers, and she just couldn't figure
    it out. ...

    By the way, Dvorak's starting to look like Gary Busey or Nick Nolte.
    Not quite like Al Davis, yet.

    --
    Gates is the ultimate programming machine. He believes everything can be
    defined, examined, reduced to essentials, and rearranged into a logical

+ Reply to Thread