Ubuntu in Vermist

,----[ Quote ]
| In today’s episode of spot the operating system we present to you the Belgian
| movie Vermist where police detectives apparently use Ubuntu as their
| operating system of choice.
`----

http://n00.be/archives/697/

Recent:

French police deal blow to Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| The French paramilitary police force said Wednesday it is ditching Microsoft
| for the free Linux operating system, becoming one of the biggest
| administrations in the world to make the break.
`----

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5...LZ3IeRaIH03x6w

Related:

Germany Police Union Wants GNU/Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| The demand of the police union now is to drop the Microsoft-based software
| and to reconsider the usage of free and open source systems instead.
`----

http://wolfgang.lonien.de/?p=506

Swedish police saves 400 cars by using MySQL

http://theworldofapenguin.blogspot.c...-by-using.html

The Swedish National Police Move to an Open Source Infrastructure With MySQL
Enterprise Unlimited

,----[ Quote ]
| Swedish National Police is implementing an enterprise-wide project for
| building all future IT systems on an open source software ("OSS")
| infrastructure based upon Linux, MySQL and JBoss. Several existing systems
| are currently being migrated and all future projects will be developed on
| this OSS foundation. * *
`----

Police Career - Linux Computer Systems in Law Enforcement

,----[ Quote ]
| Kent Police have lowered the cost of running their major criminal
| investigations system by a factor of 90%...
|
| [...]
|
| Delivery of the first Linux systems to the West Yorkshire police
| force could see police forces throughout England and Wales
| unanimously switching to Linux desktops in a new pilot scheme...
|
| [...]
|
| The New South Wales Police department is currently undertaking a
| major upgrade to its information infrastructure, made necessary
| due to the increasing volume of data handled by the force, and
| they're switching to Linux systems to handle the load...
|
| [...]
|
| Scottish police forces have also developed a Linux-based system for
| ensuring that they comply with the Freedom of Information Act
| legislation...
|
| [...]
|
| Police in the city of Munich have switched 14,000 of their department
| computers from Microsoft's Windows operating system to Linux.
`----

http://www.article-zine.com/personal...forcement.html

Mail and Safari banned from the French gendarmerie

,----[ Quote ]
| The Macs' future in the Gendarmerie has become ever gloomier since
| the very day this institution decided to get rid of Microsoft
| software. From now on the gendarmes will be using Linux-running
| PCs. Since you can't get a Mac without OSX, the fight can be
| considered as lost. At least, this was a place where Apple has
| been surviving longer than Microsoft...
`----

http://www.hardmac.com/news/2007-01-27/#6362

Swedish Police Commission Introduces Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| [PJ: Our own Karl Jorgensen translates for us the following article
| from Sweden:] The police commission has decided to allow Open Source
| programs into it's IT environment. They expect to save hundreds of
| millions of kronor. "We want more freedom of choice," says Head of
| IT Lena Charpentier. The police commission has now finished its
| evaluation of open source. The result is positive. "We have tested
| it and seen that it works."... Doesn't it cost to migrate? "Of
| course migration costs. But over the long term, going for open
| source makes recruitment easier, as open source is common
| in the universities."
`----

http://computersweden.idg.se/2.139/1.81493 (in Swedish)

Police hack into PM's computers

,----[ Quote ]
| Detectives in Britain's cash-for-honours inquiry were forced to hack
| into Downing Street computers in the search for evidence, The Sunday
| Telegraph has discovered.
`----

http://www.smh.com.au/news/technolog...330797058.html

Skype encryption stumps police

,----[ Quote ]
| These searches are especially important in cases where the suspects are aware
| that their internet traffic and phone calls may be monitored and choose to
| store sensitive information directly on their hard drives without emailing
| it. *
|
| Spyware computer searches are illegal in Germany, where people are sensitive
| about police surveillance due to the history of the Nazis' Gestapo secret
| police and the former East German Stasi. *
`----

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/st...ectid=10477899

Microsoft could be teaching police to hack Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft may begin training the police in ways to break the
| encryption built into its forthcoming Vista operating system.
`----

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/21...ng-police-hack

Microsoft hosts its own police academy

,----[ Quote ]