Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter Issue 90

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu Finland receives award from Finland's Minister of Communications
|
| Ubuntu Finland[1] was awarded Finnish Linux User Group's 2008 award at the HP
| Linux Forum[2], in Helsinki, on 8th of May. The award was received by the
| team contact of Ubuntu Finland, Timo Jyrinki, and was given by the Finland's
| Minister of Communications, Suvi Lindén[3]. The award also included 2000€ in
| cash for Ubuntu Finland's usage.
`----

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter/Issue90

As usual, it's in Finnish, so it needs a translation. All the good Linux news
is reported in languages that are not English (English-speaking countries are
slowest at Linux adoption).

Recent:

Linux: A Search Engine’s View

,----[ Quote ]
| It is always interesting where Linux is gaining public interest, which
| countries are falling behind. (Source: Google Trends)
|
| * * * Russia claimed the top spot
| * * * India came in second
| * * * Number of Asian countries in the top ten: 3
| * * * Number of European countries in the top ten: 7
| * * * Number of North American countries in the top ten: 0
| * * * Position of Russian among all languages: 1
`----

http://hehe2.net/linux-general/linux...-engines-view/

Deploying KDE to 52 million young people

,----[ Quote ]
| By the end of this year 29,000 labs serving some 32,000,000 students will be
| fully deployed and in active use.
|
| By the end of next year (2009) those numbers will have swelled to 53,000 labs
| serving some 52,000,000 students.
`----

http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2008/04/d...ion-young.html

Related:

Finland's 'Open Source' Electric Car Plan

,----[ Quote ]
| When I think of faraway Finland, I think of long, dark winters, saunas,
| reindeer and Nokia cellular telephones. I don't think of electric cars...
| until now.
`----

http://www.evworld.com/article.cfm?storyid=1419

[Fraud watch?] Prime Minister's former aide arranged Microsoft donation to
Finnish schools

,----[ Quote ]
| Mikko Alkio, the new State Secretary at the Ministry of Employment and the
| Economy, who had previously served as aide to Prime Minister *Matti Vanhanen
| (Centre), was a key instigator of a donation from Microsoft of computer
| software to Finnish schools. *
| * * *Alkio was still working as manager for information society relations at
| * * *Microsoft a couple of weeks ago when Prime Minister Vanhanen visited the *
| * * *United States.
| * * *During his US visit, Vanhanen met with Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates,
| * * *who promised Finnish schools a free package of the Windows Live@edu
| * * *service platform. *
`----

http://www.hs.fi/english/article/Pri.../1135233671462

'We're Huge in Finland!' Firefox Hits New High as IE7 Lags

,----[ Quote ]
| Mozilla Firefox continued its slow but steady march against the worldwide
| dominance of Microsoft Internet Explorer in 2007. Though the open-source web
| browser continues to sit firmly in second place behind IE, where it's been
| for years, usage of Firefox is still on the rise. The browser is even
| threatening to tip the scales in some European countries -- most likely
| thanks to the rapid internationalization efforts made possible by the
| open-source development model. * * *
`----

http://blog.wired.com/monkeybites/20...x-made-wo.html

A Virtual Open Source Center to Nordic Countries

,----[ Quote ]
| The initiative was confirmed during the Norwegian IT-minister Heidi
| Grande Roys' visit in Finland. The leader of COSS, Petri Rasanen,
| stated that the steady operation of COSS is a good base to build
| the international collaboration on, and for example the web site
| of the new center will be based on the COSS portal.
`----

http://www.swbusiness.fi/portal/news...news/?id=18528

Linux-based wireless handheld platform debuts

,----[ Quote ]
| Finland-based Navicron has introduced Linux-based hardware and software
| reference designs for smart wireless devices. Navicron's FusionSoftware stack
| and Freescale-MX31-based FusionPlatform reference hardware are said to be
| designed for smartphones, Internet tablets, automotive computers, and
| machine-to-machine (M2M) equipment. * *
`----

Ubuntu Finland delivered Ubuntu to Finnish parliament representatives

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu Finland has sent Ubuntu CDs and information about Ubuntu, Linux and
| free (as in freedom) software to each parliament representative of Finland in
| the beginning of September. *
`----

http://wiki.ubuntu-fi.org/Wiki/Press...epresentatives

Ministry of Justice of Finland chooses OpenOffice

,----[ Quote ]
| Ministry of Justice of Finland has made the decision to adopt the Open
| Source OpenOffice.org suite as its office software from beginning of 2007.
| Ministry of Justice and its branch of administration will also adopt
| OpenDocument Format standard as the file format for its documents.
`----

http://marketing.openoffice.org/serv...ev&msgNo=24732

2007:2 Migrating a Ministry to OpenOffice.org

,----[ Quote ]
| After the migration, OpenOffice.org will be the primary office
| suite for 8500 persons and Microsoft Office for 1500 persons.
`----

http://www.om.fi/Etusivu/Julkaisut/J.../1171362109118
http://tinyurl.com/2g6sjy

Governmental programme boosts open source business in Finland

,----[ Quote ]
| In a bid to get more open source exposure inside the Finish (sic)
| establishment, Tekes (the Funding Agency for Technology and
| Innovation of the Finnish government) launched a national
| development programme for open source business. Programme is carried
| out by COSS, the Finnish Centre for Open Source Software.
`----

http://opensourceblog.itproportal.com/?p=212

Red Hat becomes the 100th member of COSS, Finnish Centre for Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/s...se,43203.shtml