The truth about KVM and Xen

,----[ Quote ]
| When the distros first shipped Xen, it was done mostly out of desperation.
| Virtualization was, and still is, the "hot" thing. Linux did not provide any
| native hypervisor capability. Most Linux developers didn't even really know
| that much about virtualization. Xen was a pretty easy to use purpose-built
| kernel that had a pretty good community. So we made the hasty decision to
| ship Xen instead of investing in making Linux a proper hypervisor.
|
| This decision has come back to haunt us now in the form of massive confusion.
| When people talk about Xen not being merged into Linux, I don't think they
| realize that Xen will *never* be merged into Linux. Xen will always be a
| separate, purpose-built kernel. There are patches to Linux that enable it to
| run well as a guest under Xen. These patches are likely to be merged in the
| future, but Xen will never been a part of the Linux kernel.
|
| [...]
|
| Looking at the rest of the industry, I'm surprised that other kernels haven't
| gone in the direction of Linux in terms of adding hypervisor support directly
| to the kernel.
|
| Why is Windows not good enough to act a hypervisor such that Microsoft had to
| write a new kernel from scratch (Hyper-V)?
|
| Why is Solaris not good enough to act as a hypervisor requiring Sun to ship
| Xen in xVM? Solaris is good enough to run enterprise workloads but not good
| enough to run a Windows VM? Really? Maybe :-)
|
| Forget about all of the "true hypervisor" FUD you may read. The real question
| to ask yourself is what is so wrong with these other kernels that they aren't
| capable of running virtual machines well and instead have to rely on a
| relatively young and untested microkernel to do their heavy lifting?
`----

http://blog.codemonkey.ws/2008/05/tr...m-and-xen.html

Recent:

KVM and Xen cofounders engage in war of words

,----[ Quote ]
| Maybe, but Pratt was responding to his KVM’s competitors’ claims that Xen’s
| days are numbered because of KVM’s tight integration with the Linux kernel.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/virtualization/?p=415

Citrix opens Xen for business, still Linux shy

,----[ Quote ]
| Xen may have become the de facto virtualization platform for Linux, but,
| ironically, don't expect to see Citrix applications running natively on Linux
| any time soon. *
|
| "It's market driven and we never got the uptake on Linux," Willis said. "Our
| focus for XenApp (formerly Presentation Server) is as a Windows application
| which we recommend customers run on bare metal for performance reasons." *
|
| Willis said Citrix has partnered with Microsoft to develop Linux extensions
| for its Hyper-V platform.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;311906363

Ubuntu picks KVM over Xen for virtualization

,----[ Quote ]
| KVM will be built into Ubuntu's next version, called Hardy Heron and due in
| April. "For the Hardy Heron release, we've really picked up the
| virtualization ball. Virtualization is making its way into data centers and
| onto developer workstations everywhere. Even 'regular' users are using it to
| run Ubuntu on Mac OS X all the time," Hansen said. "Virtualization has been
| on our agenda for a long time, but it became a top priority at UDS (Ubuntu
| Developer Summit) in November. We could see that demand for it was growing." * * *
`----

Related:

Citrix strays far from XenSource’s original open source mission

,----[ Quote ]
| “Citrix is not a virtualization company,” said Phil Montgomery, Senior
| Director of Citrix’s Virtualization and Management Division. “We’re not
| trying to be another VMware. Citrix is an application delivery software
| company.” *
|
| In spite of that new positioning, XenSource is — or was — a virtualization
| company. But the competitive equation is now Microsoft + Citrix versus
| VMware, Montgomery told ZDNet last night. *
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1984

Citrix strips XenSource of virtualization, open source...everything

,----[ Quote ]
| Citrix either got completely snowed in the acquisition or, much more likely,
| it's getting pressure from its bosom-buddy, Microsoft. What it's not getting
| is much value for its $500 million. *
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9...bj=TheOpenRoad

Microsoft, Citrix grow alliance

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp. and Citrix Systems said they have expanded their alliance to
| deliver and market joint virtualization products with Windows Server 2008.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/bizj/080122/1579676.html?.v=1

Citrix Systems Tops Estimates

,----[ Quote ]
| Citrix completed the acquisition of open source virtualization developer
| XenSource about halfway through the quarter. It added $2 million to Citrix
| revenue. XenSource is expected to generate $50 million in revenue for 2008
| and about $50 million to $60 million in expenses. *
|
| For 2009, XenSource is expected to contribute $200 million to the top line.
| The bulk of that will come from its server products, CEO Mark Templeton said.
| XenSource desktop virtualization products will initially be used in corporate
| pilot programs. * *
|
| "We think we can build in the server virtualization market the same kind of
| symbiotic relationship with Microsoft (MSFT - Cramer's Take - Stockpickr)
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| that we had with [the Citrix] Presentation Server," which works atop Windows
| Server, Templeton said. "We'll be the third player in server virtualization"
| after VMware (VMW - Cramer's Take - Stockpickr) and partner Microsoft. * *
`----

http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/news...FREE&cm_ite=NA

Microsoft targets VMware with new strategy

,----[ Quote ]
| Citrix is developing a software tool that helps Microsoft's Hyper-V
| virtualization feature in the upcoming Windows Server 2008 to work more
| easily with Citrix's XenServer product. *
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft has acquired a start-up company called Calista Technologies and
| expanded its alliance with Citrix Systems, targeting VMware's early lead in
| virtualization technology. *
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584_22-6227023.html

Microsoft Pushes Virtualization

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft announced that it competed acquisituion of Calista Technologies, a
| San Jose, Calif.-based start-up that makes computer graphics for virtualized
| computers, and an expanded partnership with Citrix Systems *(nasdaq: CTXS - *
| news *- *people ), a VMware competitor based in Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
| Microsoft and Citrix will jointly market services that "virtualize"
| computers, operating systems and applications. * *
|
| Microsoft's shot across the bow at VMware is inevitable as companies
| throughout industry shift to Web-based services. "Microsoft needs to get
| something into the market quickly," says Roger Kay, president of technology
| research firm Endpoint Technologies Associate. "Windows Office has 10 years
| to burn, but it will become less relevant." * *
|
| [...]
|
| A Microsoft-Citrix combination could present formidable competition to
| VMware, he suggests. Buying Citrix, however, would be a significant deal: The
| company has a market capitalization of $6.4 billion. *
`----

http://www.forbes.com/2008/01/20/mic...microsoft.html

For Citrix, Target Acquired

,----[ Quote ]
| You said earlier this year that Citrix is an "admirer" of Microsoft for its
| innovation, Adobe for its strong brand and Apple for its easy-to-use
| products. After watching your swift acquisition pace and the kind of
| companies you target for acquisition, I would argue Citrix is patterned more
| after Cisco Systems. Do you think that's a reasonable argument? * *
|
| You are thinking of the acquisition point of view instead of the comments I
| made. Those were about role models. Cisco has not been a role model for our
| acquisitions. They are a fabulous company. We love Cisco. When I talk about
| Microsoft, Adobe and Apple, they are role models for the things I cited. *
|
| I happen to be a huge believer in role models. It's pragmatic: If someone
| does something really well, study it and translate that into your own
| business. I think it applies to companies and people. The way you better
| yourself is to find someone you want to be like and try to be like them. That
| impacts the way we work at Citrix. * *
`----

Ballmer: Microsoft Will Buy Open-Source Companies

,----[ Quote ]
| "We will do some buying of companies that are built around open-source
| products," Ballmer said during an onstage interview at the Web 2.0 Summit in
| San Francisco. *
`----

http://www.crn.com/software/202404305

Is Microsoft Hijacking Open Source?

,----[ Quote ]
| What really worries me is what looks like an emerging pattern in Microsoft's
| behaviour. The EU agreement is perhaps the first fruit of this, but I predict
| it will not be the last. What is happening is that Microsoft is effectively
| being allowed to define the meaning of “open source” as it wishes, not as
| everyone else understands the term. For example, in the pledge quoted above,
| an open source project is “not commercially distributed by its
| participants” - and this is a distinction also made by Kroes and her FAQ. * * *
|
| In this context, the recent approval of two Microsoft licences as
| officially “open source” is only going to make things worse. Although I felt
| this was the right decision – to have ad hoc rules just because it's
| Microsoft would damage the open source process - I also believe it's going to
| prove a problem. After all, it means that Microsoft can rightfully point to
| its OSI-approved licences as proof that open source and Microsoft no longer
| stand in opposition to each other. This alone is likely to perplex people who
| thought they understood what open source meant. * * *
|
| [...]
|
| What we are seeing here are a series of major assaults on different but
| related fields – open source, open file formats and open standards. All are
| directed to one goal: the hijacking of the very concept of openness. If we
| are to stop this inner corrosion, we must point out whenever we see wilful
| misuse and lazy misunderstandings of the term, and we must strive to make the *
| real state of affairs quite clear. If we don't, then core concepts like “open
| source” will be massaged, kneaded and pummelled into uselessness. * *
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1003745

Will Microsoft Buy the New Citrix? *

,----[ Quote ]
| VMware, holding some 85 percent of the market, with its VI3 technologies
| offers a fully integrated stack and represents a third generation of
| virtualization technology, while Viridian and Xen-based products, including
| SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5, XenEnterprise
| and Virtual Iron, remain second-generation products, the report stated. * *
`----

Heady Days for Virtual Systems

,----[ Quote ]
| The former Microsoft Latest News about Microsoft general manager is
| now vice president of XenSource, a Palo Alto, Calif., virtualization
| company with a growing outpost in Redmond, Wash.
`----

What the XenSource deal says about open source

,----[ Quote ]
| This is what Citrix is paying for. That and a close relationship with
| Microsoft that looks likely to get closer. “We will be building dynamic
| virtualization services and management tools on top of Viridian,” Levine
| added. “We will build the same set of products we’ve built on top of Xen for
| Viridian. We’ve already hired a team to go do that up in Redmond.” * *
|
| While Citrix maintained it will continue support for the Xen project, this
| deal is not about a proprietary vendor getting open source religion. It's
| about grabbing an emerging player in a rapidly expanding sector of the
| market. *
`----

http://www.businessreviewonline.com/...he_xensou.html

End of signed message