Numbers don't lie: Vista adoption same as XPs - Linux

This is a discussion on Numbers don't lie: Vista adoption same as XPs - Linux ; May 9, 2008, 8:57 pm XP and Vista: A Look at the Numbers Posted by Ben Worthen Popular opinion is that Microsoft’s Windows Vista operating system is a dud, a view fueled in part by a low adoption rate among ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

  1. Numbers don't lie: Vista adoption same as XPs

    May 9, 2008, 8:57 pm
    XP and Vista: A Look at the Numbers
    Posted by Ben Worthen

    Popular opinion is that Microsoft’s Windows Vista operating system is
    a dud, a view fueled in part by a low adoption rate among businesses.
    But a look back at history shows why it may be premature to write
    Vista off.

    Numbers never lie. But they don’t always tell the whole truth.
    By the end of 2007, businesses computers running Vista accounted for
    just 3% of the nearly 1 billion computers in use worldwide, according
    to the research company Gartner. Sounds dismal, but that’s the same
    percentage that ran the business version of Microsoft’s previous OS,
    XP, in 2002, the first year after its release. (Out of 582 million
    total computers.) By the end of 2003, business computers running XP
    accounted for 10% of the total. Gartner projects that by the end of
    this year, business computers running Vista will make up 13% of all
    computers.

    That puts Vista ahead of its predecessor’s pace, and bolsters
    Microsoft’s argument that Vista adoption is inline with the company’s
    expectations.

  2. Re: Numbers don't lie: Vista adoption same as XPs

    On Sat, 10 May 2008 15:17:11 -0700 (PDT), raylopez99 wrote:

    > May 9, 2008, 8:57 pm
    > XP and Vista: A Look at the Numbers
    > Posted by Ben Worthen
    >
    > Popular opinion is that Microsoft˘s Windows Vista operating system is
    > a dud, a view fueled in part by a low adoption rate among businesses.
    > But a look back at history shows why it may be premature to write
    > Vista off.
    >
    > Numbers never lie. But they don˘t always tell the whole truth.
    > By the end of 2007, businesses computers running Vista accounted for
    > just 3% of the nearly 1 billion computers in use worldwide, according
    > to the research company Gartner. Sounds dismal, but that˘s the same
    > percentage that ran the business version of Microsoft˘s previous OS,
    > XP, in 2002, the first year after its release. (Out of 582 million
    > total computers.) By the end of 2003, business computers running XP
    > accounted for 10% of the total. Gartner projects that by the end of
    > this year, business computers running Vista will make up 13% of all
    > computers.
    >
    > That puts Vista ahead of its predecessor˘s pace, and bolsters
    > Microsoft˘s argument that Vista adoption is inline with the company˘s
    > expectations.

    Poor Linux..

    Even after 10+ years of being free, it is still hovering on life support at
    0.6 percent of the desktop market share.

    It's pretty sad when something that is free can't take market share from
    Windows or Mac and climb above the 1 percent mark.

    Even the BBC had Linux pegged a 0.8 percent which is one reason why they
    are not supporting Linux for the multimedia streams.

    Why bother?
    There are not enough Linux users to make it worthwhile for the BBC.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: Numbers don't lie: Vista adoption same as XPs

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  4. Re: Numbers don't lie: Vista adoption same as XPs

    "Moshe Goldfarb" wrote in message
    news:gbraqyu1ok95$.1bs4y37k5ufhp$.dlg@40tude.net.. .

    > Poor Linux..

    Yep, they don't empty your pocket.

    > Even after 10+ years of being free, it is still hovering on life support
    > at
    > 0.6 percent of the desktop market share.

    Paid NA desktop support numbers. Linux being mostly free isn't going to
    register the way Micro$oft measures it.

    > It's pretty sad when something that is free can't take market share from
    > Windows or Mac and climb above the 1 percent mark.

    It is, that is why Microsoft is now going to offer XP on EeePC at preditory
    pricing. They wouldn't revive an old OS like XP and price it for $16/$32 a
    copy if Linux wasn't eating their lunch would they?

    They are not offering Vista as everyone knows it is too fat of a pig for low
    end PCs.

    The fact is, Microsoft is losing market share. It starts slowly. They know
    or they would not be.

    Keep up the FUD, sooner or later you will be talking to yourself.

  5. Re: Numbers don't lie: Vista adoption same as XPs

    > Keep up the FUD, sooner or later you will be talking to yourself.

    Hearing voices?

    Rich, who says, when pretend time is over you are left with the way it is

  6. Re: Numbers don't lie: Vista adoption same as XPs

    "Rich" wrote in message
    >> Keep up the FUD, sooner or later you will be talking to yourself.

    > Hearing voices?
    >

    > Rich, who says, when pretend time is over you are left with the way it is

    According to the "know it all" advocates here Vista is going to be a flop
    and will put Microsoft out of business.

    The same way they predicted that XP would be a flop and put MS out of
    business.

    And the same way they predicted that Win2k would be a flop and put MS out
    of business.

  7. Re: Numbers don't lie: Vista adoption same as XPs

    Canuck57 wrote:
    > "Moshe Goldfarb" wrote in message
    > news:gbraqyu1ok95$.1bs4y37k5ufhp$.dlg@40tude.net.. .
    >

    >>Poor Linux..

    > Yep, they don't empty your pocket.

    If you can't afford $90USD for Vista, the best OS available today, then
    you're the definition of a real loser!

    Bull****!

    More of your bull****!

    > They are not offering Vista as everyone knows it is too fat of a pig for low
    > end PCs.
    >
    > The fact is, Microsoft is losing market share. It starts slowly. They know
    > or they would not be.
    >
    > Keep up the FUD, sooner or later you will be talking to yourself.

    You're so full of bull**** & FUD canadian bacon, I can almost smell you
    thru the Internet.
    Loser!
    Frank

  8. Re: Numbers don't lie: Vista adoption same as XPs

    On Sat, 10 May 2008 16:01:45 -0700, Frank wrote:

    >Canuck57 wrote:
    >> "Moshe Goldfarb" wrote in message
    >> news:gbraqyu1ok95$.1bs4y37k5ufhp$.dlg@40tude.net.. .
    >>

    >>>Poor Linux..

    >> Yep, they don't empty your pocket.

    >If you can't afford $90USD for Vista, the best OS available today, then
    >you're the definition of a real loser!
    >>

    >>>Even after 10+ years of being free, it is still hovering on life support
    >>>at
    >>>0.6 percent of the desktop market share.

    >> Paid NA desktop support numbers. Linux being mostly free isn't going to
    >> register the way Micro$oft measures it.

    Well Frankie poo, since you keep telling us how rich you are, why
    don't you buy everyone in the world a copy of Vista?

  9. Re: Numbers don't lie: Vista adoption same as XPs

    On Sat, 10 May 2008 16:01:45 -0700, Frank wrote:

    > Canuck57 wrote:
    >> "Moshe Goldfarb" wrote in message
    >> news:gbraqyu1ok95$.1bs4y37k5ufhp$.dlg@40tude.net.. .
    >>

    >>>Poor Linux..

    >> Yep, they don't empty your pocket.

    > If you can't afford $90USD for Vista, the best OS available today, then
    > you're the definition of a real loser!

    Maybe you can tell me awhere I can buy Vista... real Vista, not "leave
    everything out" for $90.

    And Vista is surely NOT the best available today.

    >>>Even after 10+ years of being free, it is still hovering on life
    >>>support at
    >>>0.6 percent of the desktop market share.

    >> Paid NA desktop support numbers. Linux being mostly free isn't going
    >> to register the way Micro$oft measures it.

    > Bull****!

    So, how many people obtained Linux based distros this month and/or year?

    >>>It's pretty sad when something that is free can't take market share
    >>>from Windows or Mac and climb above the 1 percent mark.

    >> It is, that is why Microsoft is now going to offer XP on EeePC at
    >> preditory pricing. They wouldn't revive an old OS like XP and price it
    >> for $16/$32 a copy if Linux wasn't eating their lunch would they?

    > More of your bull****!

    Nope... it's predatory pricing. That's the only way the Asus could sell
    its machine with software it had to purchase cheaper than a machine with
    software it didn't have to purchase.

    >> They are not offering Vista as everyone knows it is too fat of a pig
    >> for low end PCs.
    >>
    >> The fact is, Microsoft is losing market share. It starts slowly. They
    >> know or they would not be.
    >>
    >> Keep up the FUD, sooner or later you will be talking to yourself.

    > You're so full of bull**** & FUD canadian bacon, I can almost smell you
    > thru the Internet.
    > Loser!
    > Frank

    Pot. Kettle. Black.

    --
    Rick

  10. Re: Numbers don't lie: Vista adoption same as XPs

    On Sat, 10 May 2008 18:24:14 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > On Sat, 10 May 2008 15:17:11 -0700 (PDT), raylopez99 wrote:
    >
    >> May 9, 2008, 8:57 pm
    >> XP and Vista: A Look at the Numbers
    >> Posted by Ben Worthen
    >>
    >> Popular opinion is that Microsoft’s Windows Vista operating system is a
    >> dud, a view fueled in part by a low adoption rate among businesses. But
    >> a look back at history shows why it may be premature to write Vista
    >> off.
    >>
    >> Numbers never lie. But they don’t always tell the whole truth. By the
    >> end of 2007, businesses computers running Vista accounted for just 3%
    >> of the nearly 1 billion computers in use worldwide, according to the
    >> research company Gartner. Sounds dismal, but that’s the same percentage
    >> that ran the business version of Microsoft’s previous OS, XP, in 2002,
    >> the first year after its release. (Out of 582 million total computers.)
    >> By the end of 2003, business computers running XP accounted for 10% of
    >> the total. Gartner projects that by the end of this year, business
    >> computers running Vista will make up 13% of all computers.
    >>
    >> That puts Vista ahead of its predecessor’s pace, and bolsters
    >> Microsoft’s argument that Vista adoption is inline with the company’s
    >> expectations.

    > Poor Linux..
    >
    > Even after 10+ years of being free, it is still hovering on life support
    > at 0.6 percent of the desktop market share.
    >
    > It's pretty sad when something that is free can't take market share from
    > Windows or Mac and climb above the 1 percent mark.
    >
    > Even the BBC had Linux pegged a 0.8 percent which is one reason why they
    > are not supporting Linux for the multimedia streams.
    >
    > Why bother?
    > There are not enough Linux users to make it worthwhile for the BBC.

    .... maybe you can tell us why you are still using Linux.

    --
    Rick

  11. Re: Numbers don't lie: Vista adoption same as XPs

    Rick wrote:
    > On Sat, 10 May 2008 18:24:14 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 10 May 2008 15:17:11 -0700 (PDT), raylopez99 wrote:
    >>
    >>> May 9, 2008, 8:57 pm
    >>> XP and Vista: A Look at the Numbers
    >>> Posted by Ben Worthen
    >>>
    >>> Popular opinion is that Microsoft’s Windows Vista operating system is a
    >>> dud, a view fueled in part by a low adoption rate among businesses. But
    >>> a look back at history shows why it may be premature to write Vista
    >>> off.
    >>>
    >>> Numbers never lie. But they don’t always tell the whole truth. By the
    >>> end of 2007, businesses computers running Vista accounted for just 3%
    >>> of the nearly 1 billion computers in use worldwide, according to the
    >>> research company Gartner. Sounds dismal, but that’s the same percentage
    >>> that ran the business version of Microsoft’s previous OS, XP, in 2002,
    >>> the first year after its release. (Out of 582 million total computers.)
    >>> By the end of 2003, business computers running XP accounted for 10% of
    >>> the total. Gartner projects that by the end of this year, business
    >>> computers running Vista will make up 13% of all computers.
    >>>
    >>> That puts Vista ahead of its predecessor’s pace, and bolsters
    >>> Microsoft’s argument that Vista adoption is inline with the company’s
    >>> expectations.

    >> Poor Linux..
    >>
    >> Even after 10+ years of being free, it is still hovering on life support
    >> at 0.6 percent of the desktop market share.
    >>
    >> It's pretty sad when something that is free can't take market share from
    >> Windows or Mac and climb above the 1 percent mark.
    >>
    >> Even the BBC had Linux pegged a 0.8 percent which is one reason why they
    >> are not supporting Linux for the multimedia streams.
    >>
    >> Why bother?
    >> There are not enough Linux users to make it worthwhile for the BBC.

    > ... maybe you can tell us why you are still using Linux.

    You are just another cross posting *clown*.

  12. Re: Numbers don't lie: Vista adoption same as XPs

    Rick wrote:

    > On Sat, 10 May 2008 16:01:45 -0700, Frank wrote:
    >

    >>Canuck57 wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Moshe Goldfarb" wrote in message
    >>>news:gbraqyu1ok95$.1bs4y37k5ufhp$.dlg@40tude.net.. .

    >>>Yep, they don't empty your pocket.

    >>If you can't afford $90USD for Vista, the best OS available today, then
    >>you're the definition of a real loser!

    > Maybe you can tell me awhere I can buy Vista... real Vista, not "leave
    > everything out" for $90.

    Best Buy has/had Vista Premium at that price. I've seen Ultimate for
    $169/189.

    > And Vista is surely NOT the best available today.

    I think it is and so do millions of others.
    But no one is twisting anyone's arm to use it, right?
    Frank

  13. Re: Numbers don't lie: Vista adoption same as XPs

    "Moshe Goldfarb" wrote in message
    news:gbraqyu1ok95$.1bs4y37k5ufhp$.dlg@40tude.net.. .
    > On Sat, 10 May 2008 15:17:11 -0700 (PDT), raylopez99 wrote:
    >
    >> May 9, 2008, 8:57 pm
    >> XP and Vista: A Look at the Numbers
    >> Posted by Ben Worthen
    >>
    >> Popular opinion is that Microsoft˘s Windows Vista operating system is
    >> a dud, a view fueled in part by a low adoption rate among businesses.
    >> But a look back at history shows why it may be premature to write
    >> Vista off.
    >>
    >> Numbers never lie. But they don˘t always tell the whole truth.
    >> By the end of 2007, businesses computers running Vista accounted for
    >> just 3% of the nearly 1 billion computers in use worldwide,

    That's because they were using Windows 2000

    according
    >> to the research company Gartner. Sounds dismal, but that˘s the same
    >> percentage that ran the business version of Microsoft˘s previous OS,
    >> XP, in 2002, the first year after its release. (Out of 582 million
    >> total computers.) By the end of 2003, business computers running XP
    >> accounted for 10% of the total. Gartner projects that by the end of
    >> this year, business computers running Vista will make up 13% of all
    >> computers.

    XP was a big improvement over Win 98. Vista is not over XP. Businesses used
    XP after SP2 came out not when it was in its infancy.
    Use Vista when it is perfected, if ever.

    >> That puts Vista ahead of its predecessor˘s pace, and bolsters
    >> Microsoft˘s argument that Vista adoption is inline with the company˘s
    >> expectations.

    > Poor Linux..
    >
    > Even after 10+ years of being free, it is still hovering on life support
    > at
    > 0.6 percent of the desktop market share.
    >
    > It's pretty sad when something that is free can't take market share from
    > Windows or Mac and climb above the 1 percent mark.
    >
    > Even the BBC had Linux pegged a 0.8 percent which is one reason why they
    > are not supporting Linux for the multimedia streams.
    >
    > Why bother?
    > There are not enough Linux users to make it worthwhile for the BBC.
    >
    > --
    > Moshe Goldfarb
    > http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  14. Re: Numbers don't lie: Vista adoption same as XPs

    "Frank" wrote in message
    > Canuck57 wrote:
    >> "Moshe Goldfarb" wrote in message
    >> news:gbraqyu1ok95$.1bs4y37k5ufhp$.dlg@40tude.net.. .
    >>

    >>>Poor Linux..

    >> Yep, they don't empty your pocket.

    > If you can't afford $90USD for Vista, the best OS available today, then
    > you're the definition of a real loser!

    XP is the best OS at the moment. Perhaps Vista will be in a year or 2.

    >>>Even after 10+ years of being free, it is still hovering on life support
    >>>at
    >>>0.6 percent of the desktop market share.

    >> Paid NA desktop support numbers. Linux being mostly free isn't going to
    >> register the way Micro$oft measures it.

    > Bull****!
    >>

    >>>It's pretty sad when something that is free can't take market share from
    >>>Windows or Mac and climb above the 1 percent mark.

    >> It is, that is why Microsoft is now going to offer XP on EeePC at
    >> preditory pricing. They wouldn't revive an old OS like XP and price it
    >> for $16/$32 a copy if Linux wasn't eating their lunch would they?

    > More of your bull****!
    >>
    >> They are not offering Vista as everyone knows it is too fat of a pig for
    >> low end PCs.
    >>
    >> The fact is, Microsoft is losing market share. It starts slowly. They
    >> know or they would not be.
    >>
    >> Keep up the FUD, sooner or later you will be talking to yourself.

    > You're so full of bull**** & FUD canadian bacon, I can almost smell you
    > thru the Internet.
    > Loser!
    > Frank

  15. Re: Numbers don't lie: Vista adoption same as XPs

    "Ezekiel" wrote in message

    > "Rich" wrote in message
    >>> Keep up the FUD, sooner or later you will be talking to yourself.

    >> Hearing voices?
    >>

    >> Rich, who says, when pretend time is over you are left with the way it is
    >>

    > According to the "know it all" advocates here Vista is going to be a flop
    > and will put Microsoft out of business.
    >
    > The same way they predicted that XP would be a flop and put MS out of
    > business.
    >
    > And the same way they predicted that Win2k would be a flop and put MS out
    > of business.

    Didn't say Vista is going to put Microsoft out of business. But is going to
    seriously damage their brand image.

    No amount of marketing FUD from the likes of Moshe is going to change the
    fact that Vista has serious issues that after 16 months from release don't
    appear to be addressed.

  16. Re: Numbers don't lie: Vista adoption same as XPs

    On Sun, 11 May 2008 14:18:43 GMT, Canuck57 wrote:

    > "Ezekiel" wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Rich" wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> Hearing voices?
    >>>

    >>> Rich, who says, when pretend time is over you are left with the way it is
    >>>

    >> According to the "know it all" advocates here Vista is going to be a flop
    >> and will put Microsoft out of business.
    >>
    >> The same way they predicted that XP would be a flop and put MS out of
    >> business.
    >>
    >> And the same way they predicted that Win2k would be a flop and put MS out
    >> of business.

    > Didn't say Vista is going to put Microsoft out of business. But is going to
    > seriously damage their brand image.

    It already has IMHO.
    Those people are going to the Mac and NOT to Linux.

    > No amount of marketing FUD from the likes of Moshe is going to change the
    > fact that Vista has serious issues that after 16 months from release don't
    > appear to be addressed.

    If you read my posts you will see that I do not like Vista, do not use
    Vista and acknowledge that Vista needs some serious work especially as far
    as multimedia is concerned.

    So please don't accuse me of being a Vista fan boi.
    I'm not.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  17. Re: Numbers don't lie: Vista adoption same as XPs

    > On Sun, 11 May 2008 14:18:43 GMT, Canuck57 wrote:
    >
    >> "Ezekiel" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Rich" wrote in message

    >>> According to the "know it all" advocates here Vista is going to be a
    >>> flop
    >>> and will put Microsoft out of business.
    >>>
    >>> The same way they predicted that XP would be a flop and put MS out of
    >>> business.
    >>>
    >>> And the same way they predicted that Win2k would be a flop and put MS
    >>> out
    >>> of business.

    >> Didn't say Vista is going to put Microsoft out of business. But is going
    >> seriously damage their brand image.

    > It already has IMHO.
    > Those people are going to the Mac and NOT to Linux.

    My next one is going to be a Mac for sure.

    >> No amount of marketing FUD from the likes of Moshe is going to change the
    >> fact that Vista has serious issues that after 16 months from release
    >> don't
    >> appear to be addressed.

    > If you read my posts you will see that I do not like Vista, do not use
    > Vista and acknowledge that Vista needs some serious work especially as far
    > as multimedia is concerned.
    >
    > So please don't accuse me of being a Vista fan boi.
    > I'm not.

    But this is fud:

    >Even after 10+ years of being free, it is still hovering on life support at
    >0.6 percent of the desktop market share.

  18. Re: Numbers don't lie: Vista adoption same as XPs

    On Sun, 11 May 2008 14:48:42 GMT, Canuck57 wrote:

    > "Moshe Goldfarb" wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 11 May 2008 14:18:43 GMT, Canuck57 wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Ezekiel" wrote in message

    >>> Didn't say Vista is going to put Microsoft out of business. But is going
    >>> seriously damage their brand image.

    >> It already has IMHO.
    >> Those people are going to the Mac and NOT to Linux.

    > My next one is going to be a Mac for sure.
    >
    >>> No amount of marketing FUD from the likes of Moshe is going to change the
    >>> fact that Vista has serious issues that after 16 months from release
    >>> don't
    >>> appear to be addressed.

    >> If you read my posts you will see that I do not like Vista, do not use
    >> Vista and acknowledge that Vista needs some serious work especially as far
    >> as multimedia is concerned.
    >>
    >> So please don't accuse me of being a Vista fan boi.
    >> I'm not.

    > But this is fud:
    >
    >>Even after 10+ years of being free, it is still hovering on life support at
    >>0.6 percent of the desktop market share.

    No it's not.

    Even the BBC pegged Linux at 0.8 percent of the desktop market and I
    suspect that number is high because of all the Linux loons hitting the site
    complaining about support for the new streaming player the BBC is using.

    This was about 2 months ago.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  19. Re: Numbers don't lie: Vista adoption same as XPs

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  20. Re: Numbers don't lie: Vista adoption same as XPs

    On Sat, 10 May 2008 20:08:19 -0700, Frank wrote:

    > Rick wrote:

    >>>If you can't afford $90USD for Vista, the best OS available today, then
    >>>you're the definition of a real loser!

    >> Maybe you can tell me awhere I can buy Vista... real Vista, not "leave
    >> everything out" for $90.

    > Best Buy has/had Vista Premium at that price. I've seen Ultimate for
    > $169/189.

    When was this, and did they XP Pro for $89?

    >> And Vista is surely NOT the best available today.

    > I think it is and so do millions of others.

    .... OS X, for starters...

    > But no one is twisting anyone's arm to use it, right? Frank

    That all depends on what you mean by twisting your arm. There are plenty
    of government sites around the world that require IE. The are several
    government agencies in the US that require documents in proprietary MS
    file formats. There are many schools that require documents in
    proprietary MS file formats.The BBC seems to be partial to Windows when
    providing content.

    --
    Rick

+ Reply to Thread