Numbers don't lie: Vista adoption same as XPs - Linux

This is a discussion on Numbers don't lie: Vista adoption same as XPs - Linux ; On Sun, 11 May 2008 12:46:00 +0000, Little Billy wrote: > "Frank" wrote in message > news:4826294a$0$7701$4c368faf@roadrunner.com... >> Canuck57 wrote: >>> "Moshe Goldfarb" wrote in message >>> news:gbraqyu1ok95$.1bs4y37k5ufhp$.dlg@40tude.net.. . >>> >>> >>>>Poor Linux.. >>> >>> >>> Yep, they don't empty ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 27 of 27

  1. Re: Numbers don't lie: Vista adoption same as XPs

    On Sun, 11 May 2008 12:46:00 +0000, Little Billy wrote:

    > "Frank" wrote in message
    >> Canuck57 wrote:
    >>> "Moshe Goldfarb" wrote in message
    >>> news:gbraqyu1ok95$.1bs4y37k5ufhp$.dlg@40tude.net.. .

    >>> Yep, they don't empty your pocket.

    >> If you can't afford $90USD for Vista, the best OS available today, then
    >> you're the definition of a real loser!

    > XP is the best OS at the moment. Perhaps Vista will be in a year or 2.

    The best --commercial/proprietary-- OS for general users is OS X.

    --
    Rick

  2. Re: Numbers don't lie: Vista adoption same as XPs

    On Sat, 10 May 2008 22:31:09 -0400, Oh Well wrote:
    (snip)
    > You are just another cross posting *clown*.

    Do you want some cheese to go with that Whine?

    I didn't set the newsgroups on the message you are whining about
    (although I did add them to this one so you would be sure to see it), I
    merely replied to a cross-posted message.

    --
    Rick

  3. Re: Numbers don't lie: Vista adoption same as XPs

    > On Sun, 11 May 2008 14:48:42 GMT, Canuck57 wrote:
    >
    >> "Moshe Goldfarb" wrote in message

    >>> It already has IMHO.
    >>> Those people are going to the Mac and NOT to Linux.

    >> My next one is going to be a Mac for sure.

    >>> If you read my posts you will see that I do not like Vista, do not use
    >>> Vista and acknowledge that Vista needs some serious work especially as
    >>> far
    >>> as multimedia is concerned.
    >>>
    >>> So please don't accuse me of being a Vista fan boi.
    >>> I'm not.

    >> But this is fud:
    >>
    >>>Even after 10+ years of being free, it is still hovering on life support
    >>>at
    >>>0.6 percent of the desktop market share.

    > No it's not.
    >
    > Even the BBC pegged Linux at 0.8 percent of the desktop market and I
    > suspect that number is high because of all the Linux loons hitting the
    > site
    > complaining about support for the new streaming player the BBC is using.
    >
    > This was about 2 months ago.

    So if I have this right, this is all based on BBC? No wonder if their
    support for less proprietary formats and they mine that from visiting
    browsers. Obviously flawed.

    I would like to see Googles numbers.

  4. Re: Numbers don't lie: Vista adoption same as XPs

    On Sun, 11 May 2008 17:18:43 GMT, Canuck57 wrote:

    > "Moshe Goldfarb" wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 11 May 2008 14:48:42 GMT, Canuck57 wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Moshe Goldfarb" wrote in message

    >>> My next one is going to be a Mac for sure.

    >>> But this is fud:

    >> No it's not.
    >>
    >> Even the BBC pegged Linux at 0.8 percent of the desktop market and I
    >> suspect that number is high because of all the Linux loons hitting the
    >> site
    >> complaining about support for the new streaming player the BBC is using.
    >>
    >> This was about 2 months ago.

    > So if I have this right, this is all based on BBC? No wonder if their
    > support for less proprietary formats and they mine that from visiting
    > browsers. Obviously flawed.
    >
    > I would like to see Googles numbers.

    Google doesn't collect numbers anymore because evidently it was far too
    embarrassing for Linux.

    It's not just the BBC, just about any site or stat you can find shows Linux
    at much less than 1 percent.
    The w3schools site is another one.

    These things are posted in COLA all the time and they all pretty much
    agree.
    The BBC FWIW is about 0.2 percent on the high side.

    Some stats even have the iPhone approaching Linux which is really a kick
    in the face for Linux.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  5. Re: Numbers don't lie: Vista adoption same as XPs

    Canuck57 wrote:

    > It is, that is why Microsoft is now going to offer XP on EeePC at
    > preditory pricing. They wouldn't revive an old OS like XP and price
    > it for $16/$32 a copy if Linux wasn't eating their lunch would they?

    Same reason Apple gave away so many computers to schools. For every one
    computer they put in a classroom, 25 sets of parents bought one for home.

    Alternative metaphor: Same reason a dealer gives you your first few shots of
    Heroin.

    > The fact is, Microsoft is losing market share. It starts slowly. They
    > know or they would not be.

    70% of a billion is still more than 90% of 600,000.

  6. Re: Numbers don't lie: Vista adoption same as XPs

    "HeyBub" stated in post
    OoTKY38sIHA.1220@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl on 5/11/08 6:16 PM:

    > Canuck57 wrote:
    >>
    >> It is, that is why Microsoft is now going to offer XP on EeePC at
    >> preditory pricing. They wouldn't revive an old OS like XP and price
    >> it for $16/$32 a copy if Linux wasn't eating their lunch would they?

    > Same reason Apple gave away so many computers to schools. For every one
    > computer they put in a classroom, 25 sets of parents bought one for home.
    >
    > Alternative metaphor: Same reason a dealer gives you your first few shots of
    > Heroin.
    >

    >> The fact is, Microsoft is losing market share. It starts slowly. They
    >> know or they would not be.
    >>

    > 70% of a billion is still more than 90% of 600,000.

    People are putting MS down for selling an *old* version of Windows for 16 or
    32 buck a shot while many *new* versions of Linux are given away for free.

    Um, what?

    --
    God made me an atheist - who are you to question his authority?

  7. Re: Numbers don't lie: Vista adoption same as XPs

    On May 11, 5:44*am, "Little Billy" wrote:

    > XP was a big improvement over Win 98. Vista is not over XP. Businesses used
    > XP after SP2 came out not when it was in its infancy.
    > Use Vista when it is perfected, if ever.

    I think Vista is an improvement over XP; it's more multimedia friendly
    and slightly more stable.

    You just need better h/w to run Vista; even MSFT acknowledges this.
    BTW MSFT's "World Telescope" free web program needs at least a Core2
    duo machine--proof that sophisticated machines need sophisticated
    OSes.

    Unless you prefer Linux (old OS for an old machine).

    RL

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2